League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

May I Mock? Part 1

Write updates about your team or the league here.
Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

May I Mock? Part 1

Post by Marcos_Beck »

May I Mock? Part 1

The very much likely 1st and 2nd picks in this draft.

OK, so I'll try to mock it a lil bit. May be lying, may be not, those who know me well will notice it pretty easily.
Enough talking, let's get right to the interesting part.
Part 1 contains picks from 1-15, as draft is set to (unofficially) start at weekend but clock only ticks on Monday. By then I'll have part 2 (picks 16-30) done, that's a promise. Working on that already.
Enough talking, let's get right to the interesting part.

1. Milwaukee Bucks - Brandon Ingram (SF, 20, Duke)
This is the safest pick to happen in all draft. Manu said it and, as much as I have a high pick and want Ingram myself, I'm a straight honest guy and will say if Milwaukee passes on Ingram, this will be one of the biggest mistakes of ALL TIME. Not every day you see a guy with a ridiculous FLOOR that includes incredible offensive talent coupled with even better defensive potential. Just a complete player, if he reaches his ceiling he'll be one of the top-10 players in CSL.

2. Philadelphia 76ers - Lonzo Ball (PG, 20, UCLA)
If you ask me if Lonzo is the best PG in the draft, I could possibly tell you that's questionable. Even more when it comes to the being worthy a #2 selection. But all in all, this pick makes so much sense and I could tell you why.
It's been forever since the Parker - Payne - whatever core lacks a real defensive presence to improve the sixers and fulfil the process. Ball brings exactly that plus fantastic playmaking ability and is 4 and 6 years younger than both PGs that are questionable better than him, at least IMO. Jabari can take all shots he wants, and he's honestly capable of scoring 40 per game with Ball on his side. You won't see me blaming TJ for this choice.

3. Chicago Bulls - Lauri Markkanen (PF, 20, Finland)
Is Lauri the 3rd (or 2nd) best player in the draft? Also discussable. But we've seen that movie before in Chicago, an All-Star scoring big man with incredible efficiency being key to a championship, and yes, that was Al Horford. Lauri's offensive skillset resembles somewhat of a mix between Horford (the post moves and great inside scoring instincts) and another former superstar scorer, Germany’s Dirk Nowitzki (great shooting touch and size to shoot over smaller defenders). Yes, limitations on defense does exist, but that early in the draft, when you have a shot to acquire a true #1 scoring option with the possibility of being among top guys in terms of TS%, do it.

4. Denver Nuggets - Josh Jackson (SF, 20, Kansas)
Denver’s biggest issue, both short and long term, is the lack of a real defensive threat from the perimeter, specially at SF. They also lack a true foundation piece offensively, even though they have Julius Randle as a possible go-to-guy. Jackson gives them both at #4. While his limitations are very obvious (lack of handle, rebounding and problems at the free throw line), he’s talented enough as a two-way player to overcome those and challenge Lauri Markkanen for second best prospect at the draft. His ceiling is amazing and should be featured as the foundation’s piece for the Nuggets.

5. Boston Celtics - Sinan Guler (PG, 26, Turkey)
Here comes the point guard with best overall game in this draft in my opinion. Guler’s biggest weakness, if any, is his advanced age for a player you can build around. At 26, he has 6 more seasons in his prime before declining, but that should be more than enough for his new team, the Boston Celtics, to utilize the best of his abilities. He’s extremely disciplined and intelligent, has a knack for scoring the ball even though he’s a fantastic distributor and defensively he does a very solid job as well, although a bit heavy for CSL lead guard standards. His inability to attack the basket effectively isn’t ideal coming out of a point guard, specially one who isn’t a true sniper from past the arc as well, but a mean mid-range game is there to compensate. There are plenty of players you can take over him because of age and potential, but to me, exclusively for the Celtics who are ready to make some noise, the need, the fit and the window makes it a fantastic pick.

6. Houston Rockets - Malik Monk (SG, 19, Kentucky)
Everyone knows how much Biz LOVED Zach LaVine for his scoring and shooting ability. Surprisingly, he let LaVine go when vastly overpaying for Dante Exum, but now Exum is gone once again and Kyrus has a shot at, at least partially, fixing the mistake. Malik Monk presents an opportunity to Houston to add one of it’s favorite kinds of players, the 3 point sniper capable of shooting crazy numbers, but not only that, but letting it fly every time he touches the ball. His potential for scoring the ball at high volume on amazing efficiency makes some scouts believe he could become a better version of Bradley Beal, and the offensive potential of a KAT - Monk pairing is absurd, almost immoral. Malik isn’t the most talented player at this point, but I can bet Houston says ‘f*** it’ and draft the guy they like most.

7. Utah Jazz - Mohamed Bamba (C, 19, Texas)
How crazy would it be to combine one of the youngest up and coming bigs in the league with another young potential two-way star? Bamba’s game needs improvement as he’s still a very raw player, but overall his pairing with Kristaps Porzingis is terrifying for opposing offences. Possessing a 7’10 wingspan, the longest ever seen in CSL’s history, his defensive instincts are so good and his body is so massive (even at only 225 lbs) it’s unfair to try to score a layup over him. He’ll erase everything and anything that comes his way, but unlike Hassan Whiteside, he can also guard his man on one-on-one matchups. Offensively, he’s efficient and will dunk everything he can on his way to consistent double doubles, which brings us to the very best yet still unmentioned facet of this kid’s game: rebounding. He’s going to clean the glass with the best of them, no two ways about it.

8. Miami Heat - Denzel Livingston (PG, 24, Incarnate Word)
Miami has their interior figured out from last draft. Now, with 3 top-15 picks, it’s time to find backcourt pieces. In comes Livingston then, a 6’4 floor general with the ability to pass the ball like very few man in the history of CSL ever did. He’ll find Ben Simmons and other Heat’s scorers day and night for easy baskets every single time he touches the ball, as his combination of passing and IQ is unmatched by any of the point gods (I mean it) in this class. Defensively, he’s solid and will contribute towards forming a formidable, switchable lineup for the Heat, with 5 tall players able to constantly rotate and switch out to anybody without being extremely punished. His 3pt stroke, however, will be his most appreciated skill for a team that currently has few long-term perimeter threats.

9. San Antonio Spurs - Dennis Smith (PG, 20, NC State)
The Spurs are hitting the reset button once again and are the perfect spot for a player with star potential like Dennis Smith. He’s just as talented if not better than Livingston, picked one spot ahead of him, but he needs to dominate the ball in order to become the player he could be. The Spurs lack a true foundation yet and Smith will be able to handle the rock and dictate the offense as much as he wants in that team. He’s more suited to a SG spot rather than the usual PG one, although he’ll have the ball on his hands every time no matter where he plays, but he has the body and enough skill level to become an effective combo-guard with exceptional scoring instincts at the next level.

10. Toronto Raptors - Justin Patton (PF, 20, Creighton)
It’s completely unfair to let the Raptors pick at #10 after advancing all the way to Eastern Conference Finals last year, but it is what it is. Chili left them with a very complete roster, almost without weaknesses, but to really rule the East they could use an improvement at Power Forward. In comes Justin Patton, who’ll be able to step in from day 1 and start for a very talented team, and has such an all-around game that should fit into Raptors’ team oriented game like a glove. There is no thing except for stealing the ball that Patton cannot do, and he’ll allow Kawhi to remain Raptors’ biggest offensive threat while making the most out of his own chances.

11. Memphis Grizzlies - Caleb Swanigan (PF, 20, Purdue)
I’ll take the risk here and say Andrei has the balls to draft the guy he likes most over overall talent. Memphis’ interior rotation is thin and Swanigan is the best D-and-D power forward in this draft, so they are simple put perfect matches for each other. Memphis has proved time and time again that players that fits the Grit ’n Grind style works much better in their city, and for Caleb, an efficient scorer who takes praise in defending, this will be no different.

12. Boston Celtics - Kevin Knox (SF, 19, Kentucky)
Being the youngest player in this year’s class, Knox is so raw that he couldn’t even start for his college team, and has to develop more than a lot if he ever wants to become the legendary scorer his potentials indicates he could be. Also, there are question marks all over his shooting mechanics, and how he can contribute in other areas of the game. But when you can take a flyer on a potential superstar scorer that late, that’s one opportunity you cannot pass, and Dennis won’t.

13. Miami Heat - De’Aaron Fox (PG, 19, Kentucky)
Yes, they picked up Livingston at 8, but who says great players can’t play together? Fox has what it takes to be great, and he can really blossom his game playing off Livingston at the 2-guard, giving Miami an incredible one-two punch who can alternate between themselves like many teams that used a 2-PG system did. Fox is BPA here and a long-term starter for them, checking all boxes to become Miami’s second lotto pick.

14. Boston Celtics - PJ Dozier (PG, 20, South Carolina)
Dennis just loves the versatile, tall defenders, and that’s exactly what Dozier is projected to become. He could wreak havoc alongside Cordinier off the bench for that team, maintaining the high level of defensive energy that could help them keep any offensive threats like Kawhi Leonard from Division foes Toronto Raptors in check.

15. Miami Heat - Rawle Alkins (SG, 24, Arizona)
This was a hard one between Jordan Bell and Rawle Alkins, the two most talented players at this point of the draft, but due to Miami already having too many options inside and lacking a real 6th man at their backcourt, they opt for Alkins great scoring instincts, playmaking ability and shooting touch. That’s just perfect for them, specially since he’s a project of two-way player as well.
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Re: May I Mock? Part 1

Post by Jestor »

Great mock. I won't have time to get my second half done - it's a busy weekend for me - two Aces games and a small Magic tournament plus celebrating a friend's birthday, but nice to see someone else agree with me that Guler is the best PG in this draft.

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

I think I’ve been mocked a different player in every single mock. I certainly have a lot to think about and a lot of evaluation to do

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Good mock and very good reasonings. Obviously I won't comment much yet as I have 3 picks in the range, but we will see how it pans out :P
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

Pretty honest mock, and all the picks make sense for each team.

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Post by andrei »

Yeah, we're looking at Caleb at 11.
Congrats to season 16 ASL champion SoulKey. For the Swarm!

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

andrei wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:33 am Yeah, we're looking at Caleb at 11.
My scouts showed he's a Grizzly lol
Now that I picked Lauri, I can say that I did this mock being as much honest as I could be. Didn't try to hide any players for me to draft them, I'm pretty confident this will be the order of the draft and it makes a damn lot of sense based on my scouts, but some guys have way more info on certain players than I do, so it could change a lot as usual.
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

Lavar Ball
I Can Beat Michael Jordan 1 on 1

Post by Lavar Ball »

Jestor wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:09 am Great mock. I won't have time to get my second half done - it's a busy weekend for me - two Aces games and a small Magic tournament plus celebrating a friend's birthday, but nice to see someone else agree with me that Guler is the best PG in this draft.
is this guy crazy? this guy aint even fit to tie lamelo and liangelos sneakers. aint no big baller.

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Lavar is correct.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

drumr
Chairman of the Board

Post by drumr »

Accurate.
Cleveland Cavaliers

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

Lavar needs to up his game.
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done

Lavar Ball
I Can Beat Michael Jordan 1 on 1

Post by Lavar Ball »

OneNole wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:44 pm Lavar needs to up his game.
nice roster you got there. shame you aint get to the ship. good luck gettin lonzo to fill in for that scrub curry now.