League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents

Offensive Set

User avatar
Chilikonkarne
CEO
Posts: 2786
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:58 pm
Location: Prague, CZ.
Contact:

Offensive Set

Post by Chilikonkarne » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:12 pm

Could someone remind me the different Offensive Set and their effect? (High Post, Double Post...)
I am pretty sure I am using some of them incorrectly

Thanks!
Chilikonkarne Era (273-186 / 59%)

2014-2015 : 28-21 - (Lottery)
2015-2016 : 50-32 - (Conference Final)
2016-2017 : 35-47 - (Lottery)
2017-2018 : 54-28 - (Conference Final, Atlantic Division Champion)
2018-2019 : 49-33 - (2nd round)
2019-2020 : 57-25 - (2nd round, Atlantic Division Champion)

User avatar
Rizzo
Chairman of the Board
Posts: 4179
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:01 am
Contact:

Re: Offensive Set

Post by Rizzo » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:56 pm

From the Wolverine Studios forum:
1. Standard
2. Single Post
3. Double Post
4. High Post
5. Iso Offense
6. Dribble Drive
7. Ball Movement

These are not meant to be set plays or designed offenses, they are meant to be mechanisms to give you more control over your style of play. If you are playing in local mode you will operate based on the preferences of the head coach, like always. If you are in global mode you will operate on the preferences of the head coach unless you uncheck the box on the roster/strategy tab for use coach settings - then it will revert to your philosophy settings which are changed in the office screen.

The standard offense is just what the game does now - each player tends to move to the areas on the floor he is most comfortable with.

The single post offense will take your center and place him in the post and the other four offensive players will be outside of the post (4 out 1 in offense)

The double post offense works similar but uses 3 perimeter players and 2 post players (PF/C)

The high post offense puts the SF and PF in similar wing/high post/low post opportunities while the guards play the perimeter and the C works the low post

The iso offense works like the standard offense but the emphasis is even more highly on getting the ball to players who are highly rated in SCORING and can create their own shot

The dribble drive offense works like the standard offense except that it discourages players from taking some jump shots in an effort to create more drive play either for layups/dunks, shots off the dribble or kick outs for shots.

The ball movement offense works like the standard offense but it puts less emphasis on the SCORING rating. It will not prevent/discourage a player from shooting but it will encourage players to look for other players outside of your top scorers more often.
CSL: Brooklyn Nets (2018-present)

User avatar
Chilikonkarne
CEO
Posts: 2786
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:58 pm
Location: Prague, CZ.
Contact:

Re: Offensive Set

Post by Chilikonkarne » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:32 pm

This is great! Thanks a lot
Chilikonkarne Era (273-186 / 59%)

2014-2015 : 28-21 - (Lottery)
2015-2016 : 50-32 - (Conference Final)
2016-2017 : 35-47 - (Lottery)
2017-2018 : 54-28 - (Conference Final, Atlantic Division Champion)
2018-2019 : 49-33 - (2nd round)
2019-2020 : 57-25 - (2nd round, Atlantic Division Champion)

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019
Posts: 4933
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:15 am
Location: Brazil
Contact:

Re: Offensive Set

Post by Marcos_Beck » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:34 am

Rizzo wrote:From the Wolverine Studios forum:
1. Standard
2. Single Post
3. Double Post
4. High Post
5. Iso Offense
6. Dribble Drive
7. Ball Movement

These are not meant to be set plays or designed offenses, they are meant to be mechanisms to give you more control over your style of play. If you are playing in local mode you will operate based on the preferences of the head coach, like always. If you are in global mode you will operate on the preferences of the head coach unless you uncheck the box on the roster/strategy tab for use coach settings - then it will revert to your philosophy settings which are changed in the office screen.

The standard offense is just what the game does now - each player tends to move to the areas on the floor he is most comfortable with.

The single post offense will take your center and place him in the post and the other four offensive players will be outside of the post (4 out 1 in offense)

The double post offense works similar but uses 3 perimeter players and 2 post players (PF/C)

The high post offense puts the SF and PF in similar wing/high post/low post opportunities while the guards play the perimeter and the C works the low post

The iso offense works like the standard offense but the emphasis is even more highly on getting the ball to players who are highly rated in SCORING and can create their own shot

The dribble drive offense works like the standard offense except that it discourages players from taking some jump shots in an effort to create more drive play either for layups/dunks, shots off the dribble or kick outs for shots.

The ball movement offense works like the standard offense but it puts less emphasis on the SCORING rating. It will not prevent/discourage a player from shooting but it will encourage players to look for other players outside of your top scorers more often.
I recognize Tim posting this earlier in my "CSL career" but that's the first time I've read this and fully understood everything. Thanks mate.
Btw I think my team is using the perfect offensive set now haha

User avatar
andrei
Chairman of the Board
Posts: 4626
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:26 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Contact:

Re: Offensive Set

Post by andrei » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:23 pm

Perhaps its worth elaborating this a little bit and sharing some personal experiences with different offensive sets. We are running Single Post and one thing I don't get- perhaps because my understanding of this offense is off. I imagine that this offense works similar to what the Lakers used with Shaq during their first title run. I remember against Philly, they used to get Shaq inside against Mt Mutombo and surround him with the likes of Fisher, Bryant, Fox and Horry. Shaq would go inside against Dikembe and the rest spend most of their time on the outside with occasional dip into the paint for a pass from Shaq. Is it not logical then that your three point attempts should theoretically go up in Single post. I mean, your inside shots will go up for sure but I am surprised to see players that are supposed to shoot more threes, actually don't and settle for other types of shots. Is my understanding of the offense way off?

lakeshowak7
CEO
Posts: 2018
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:24 am
Contact:

Re: Offensive Set

Post by lakeshowak7 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:13 pm

andrei wrote:Perhaps its worth elaborating this a little bit and sharing some personal experiences with different offensive sets. We are running Single Post and one thing I don't get- perhaps because my understanding of this offense is off. I imagine that this offense works similar to what the Lakers used with Shaq during their first title run. I remember against Philly, they used to get Shaq inside against Mt Mutombo and surround him with the likes of Fisher, Bryant, Fox and Horry. Shaq would go inside against Dikembe and the rest spend most of their time on the outside with occasional dip into the paint for a pass from Shaq. Is it not logical then that your three point attempts should theoretically go up in Single post. I mean, your inside shots will go up for sure but I am surprised to see players that are supposed to shoot more threes, actually don't and settle for other types of shots. Is my understanding of the offense way off?
A single post offense is only good when you play with smart players who can run a motion type set to compliment the single post. It's not necessarily conducive to three point shooting, just all depends; but its main focus is curls and cuts while utilizing the big as a facilitator. I'd be willing to bet the engine is not that in-depth in regards to running motion in addition to the single post. Most of these descriptions are very vague as well. If you're running a single-post offense typically it is ideal that the big is a good passer as well to take advantage of all the cuts from the motion sets.

User avatar
andrei
Chairman of the Board
Posts: 4626
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:26 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Contact:

Re: Offensive Set

Post by andrei » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:55 pm

Also is it true that high IQ players shoot more than lower IQ players with similar scoring ratings?

User avatar
Dennis
Commisioner Emeritus
Posts: 7321
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:19 am
Location: Düsseldorf
Contact:

Re: Offensive Set

Post by Dennis » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:15 pm

I believe we will never know. But Single post helps to get the ball into the Centers hands. Also it inreases the rebounds he grabs a lot.
Boston Celtics "HoF":
PG G. Dragic <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook <> 2016 - 2019
PG M. Conley <> 2018 - 2020

6 times Atlantic Division Champs.
Total: 473:255 (64%)

User avatar
andrei
Chairman of the Board
Posts: 4626
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:26 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Contact:

Re: Offensive Set

Post by andrei » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:25 pm

It increases offensive boards in particular because he always hangs out close to the basket on offense...

User avatar
Jestor
Chairman of the Board
Posts: 3399
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:55 am
Contact:

Re: Offensive Set

Post by Jestor » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:44 pm

andrei wrote:Also is it true that high IQ players shoot more than lower IQ players with similar scoring ratings?
It only looks like they shoot more because in general, higher IQ players will have better accuracy (Note that this isn't absolute, and also doesn't seem to apply to big men as much as it does guards).

There's a couple ways to get players to shoot more:

1. Pick an offensive set that will increase the scoring of the player you want taking more shots - the descriptions do a pretty good job of this.
2. Have the player specialize in a shot type - Note: this was true as of DDS2. Haven't looked at it in DDS3.

User avatar
dapralbe
Senior Vice President
Posts: 1279
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:46 am
Contact:

Re: Offensive Set

Post by dapralbe » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:26 am

The set offense is very important but you need see other factos to usethe correct. Preferences make changes ratings com ination and compense player habilities. For example my sf don't have scoring mcrobers and trevor booker your real position is pf but i plahin high pace and low rebound with pg and sg with pass, they run well and shoots more than your rating indicate.

User avatar
WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board
Posts: 3853
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:50 am
Contact:

Re: Offensive Set

Post by WillyJakkz » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:28 am

Thanks for this knowledge, appreciate it guys.
Image
George DePaula| Andrew Wiggins| Robert Covington| Noah Vonleh| Joel Embiid
All Time Record: '14: 12-70| '15: 17-65| '16: *46-36| '17: 61-21| '18: *41-41| '19: 48-34| '20: *30-52| '21: *39-43
*denotes injury

Trade Block

User avatar
drumr
Senior Vice President
Posts: 1645
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:17 am
Contact:

Re: Offensive Set

Post by drumr » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:13 pm

This thread is awesome. So many ideas now for how I want the team to operate. One question though for anyone willing to discuss their offense that is running any of the post offenses. How does it affect your guards? Will Kyrie still be able to get his because Draymond doesn't look to score at all? I assume the player with the highest SCR still gets the majority of the passes regardless of offense right? Especially when there's a 20pt difference between them and the next player.
Cleveland Cavaliers
2018-2019 -- ( 52-30 )
2019-2020 -- ( 53-29 )
2020-2021 -- ( 54-28 )
The Kyrie Irving and Blake Griffin Show
feat. Allen Crabbe, Jimmy Butler, Larry Sanders
Special Guests:
Ricky "Rude Boy" Rubio & Dougie McBuckets
Image

User avatar
BizGilwalker
CSL Champ 2017
Posts: 5332
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:18 am
Location: Matthews, NC
Contact:

Re: Offensive Set

Post by BizGilwalker » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:56 pm

bump since i've had a couple people ask me about sets lately. been looking for this for a while
2022-23 Houston Rockets
PG: Kemba Walker / Jeremy Lin / Keenan Evans
SG: Malik Monk / Vlatko Cancar / Seth Curry / Buddy Hield
SF: Dragan Bender / JaKarr Sampson
PF: Kevon Looney / Al-Farouq Aminu / LeBron James
C: Karl-Anthony Towns / Eric Mika / Justin Patton [+]

User avatar
BizGilwalker
CSL Champ 2017
Posts: 5332
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:18 am
Location: Matthews, NC
Contact:

Re: Offensive Set

Post by BizGilwalker » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:12 am

bumping because i hate digging through the forum to find this
2022-23 Houston Rockets
PG: Kemba Walker / Jeremy Lin / Keenan Evans
SG: Malik Monk / Vlatko Cancar / Seth Curry / Buddy Hield
SF: Dragan Bender / JaKarr Sampson
PF: Kevon Looney / Al-Farouq Aminu / LeBron James
C: Karl-Anthony Towns / Eric Mika / Justin Patton [+]

User avatar
Myles
Commissioner
Posts: 2586
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:26 am
Contact:

Re: Offensive Set

Post by Myles » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:26 am

Stickied

User avatar
BizGilwalker
CSL Champ 2017
Posts: 5332
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:18 am
Location: Matthews, NC
Contact:

Re: Offensive Set

Post by BizGilwalker » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:27 am

thanks
2022-23 Houston Rockets
PG: Kemba Walker / Jeremy Lin / Keenan Evans
SG: Malik Monk / Vlatko Cancar / Seth Curry / Buddy Hield
SF: Dragan Bender / JaKarr Sampson
PF: Kevon Looney / Al-Farouq Aminu / LeBron James
C: Karl-Anthony Towns / Eric Mika / Justin Patton [+]

User avatar
Jestor
Chairman of the Board
Posts: 3399
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:55 am
Contact:

Re: Offensive Set

Post by Jestor » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:05 pm

Just to add to this - recent discussion is that Ball Movement also requires high pass/handle relative to position across the lineup to succeed. Otherwise, the losses will pile up.

Iso, Double Post, Dribble Drive, and Standard have all been proven successful with the right mix.

Single Post just inflates your center's trade value.

A grand total of no one has ever gotten High Post to work.

User avatar
Stockton12
Senior Vice President
Posts: 1101
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Offensive Set

Post by Stockton12 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:39 am

I think also ball movement leads to less turnovers per game ..
Image

User avatar
Rizzo
Chairman of the Board
Posts: 4179
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:01 am
Contact:

Re: Offensive Set

Post by Rizzo » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:38 pm

Stockton12 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:39 am
I think also ball movement leads to less turnovers per game ..
Is this confirmed? I feel like unless you have a great passing team then this doesn’t make a ton of sense.
CSL: Brooklyn Nets (2018-present)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest