League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO

Round 1 - Pick 3 - Milwaukee Bucks

Moderators: Rizzo, KW

mgtr81
CEO

Round 1 - Pick 3 - Milwaukee Bucks

Post by mgtr81 »

With the third overall pick in the 2024 CSL draft the Milwaukee Bucks select guard Ja Morant from Murray State.

At 6'3" and 175 lbs, Morant is actually a combo guard who fits the Bucks style of multiposition players. A great ball handler, Morant's selling card is his willingness to score. In a team whose core is focused on defense, Morant should shine on the offensive end, while his shortcomings on defense may be hid by Troy Brown, Matthew Dellavedova, Brandon Ingram, Thon Maker and Wendell Carter, all of them quality defenders.

With this selection, alongside last season improvement, the Bucks may finally start reaping the benefits of a long and patient rebuilding process. While the franchise has often been criticized for not being too active on the trading front, the Front Office is convinced that rejecting the plenty of offers the team had during the rebuilding years was the right thing to do in order to set up the foundation of a true contender.

While Morant is not considered to be the best player available, he probably is the best fit for the team. The change in rules that the CSL will see this upcoming season generate a lot of question marks, and sources close to the Front Office reveal that Morant was not going to be the Bucks selection, but the Front Office reconsidered their options last week and decided to do, for once, what the basketball community expected. However, the Bucks may still pull off a trade for one of their true targets.

Strengths

+ Elite ball handling skills
+ Willingness to score
+ Leadership

Weaknesses

- Average defender
- Not an elite outside shooter, but good enough
ImageImageImageImageImage

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Re: Round 1 - Pick 3 - Milwaukee Bucks

Post by andrei »

There go the 'depending on what Manu is going to do at 3' conversations. Where is the shocker?
So what do you expect when you draft Grabby McHolderson to play your right tackle?

Stockton12
Senior Vice President

Post by Stockton12 »

Well done manu

cb4raptorscb4
General Manager

Post by cb4raptorscb4 »

He seemed like the consensus pick based off mocks, but tbh I didn't scout the top 3 guys much figuring I wouldn't be drafting this high.

Probably the right pick
Golden State Warriors
Coby White | PJ Dozier | Jake Layman | Henry Ellenson | Nerlens Noel
Zhaire Smith | Marquese Chriss | PJ Washington | Chimezie Metu
'23: 34-48 (5-8 as GM)
'24: 40-42

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Congrats Manu, lets see how long it takes Ja to make a difference.
But the east is not getting any weaker!

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

Love the pick. Manu finally has his PG and he should excel in DDS19.

I’m intrigued about who the mystery player is that was originally in consideration.

cb4raptorscb4
General Manager

Post by cb4raptorscb4 »

emplep7 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:00 pm Love the pick. Manu finally has his PG and he should excel in DDS19.

I’m intrigued about who the mystery player is that was originally in consideration.
Yah I'm curious. The guy that I could have seen jumping is Bol since he's so intriguing
Golden State Warriors
Coby White | PJ Dozier | Jake Layman | Henry Ellenson | Nerlens Noel
Zhaire Smith | Marquese Chriss | PJ Washington | Chimezie Metu
'23: 34-48 (5-8 as GM)
'24: 40-42

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021

Post by GreenBear »

A great pick and at a position of need. The Bucks are going to be a force next year.
Starters: Shaq Harrison | Isaiah Taylor | Okaro White | Aleksandar Vezenkov | Isaiah Austin
2nd Unit: Isaiah Whitehead | Terrence Ferguson | Kevin Porter | Dedric Lawson | Mamadou N'Diaye

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

Good on Milwaukee to not over-think this pick, they go with the obvious choice, picking up a much-needed starting PG who could end up one of the best.

Creator's Note: Ja is based very loosely on NBA Kyrie Irving. His handles are the best in the business, and the CSL doesn't really have a high-end PG with this level of handles, so I'm really interested to see how he does. Morant should be a high-end shot creator who is particularly proficient inside the arc, and good but not elite outside of it. Not the best defender or passer out there, but has plenty of time to improve on those weaknesses and become decent. I'm expecting him to be VERY ball-dominant, which is not a bad thing at all for Milwaukee.

Dennis
Commisioner Emeritus

Post by Dennis »

I think he gonna be top 5 csl. Not as good as Simmons, but a way better fox. So very good pick up by Manu. I think the draft team totally ignored that at least one of the top3 will get s plus 10. whoever it is, will be the best player by far in the league
Boston Celtics "HoF":
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook <> 2016 - 2019
PG M. Conley <> 2018 - 2020

9 times Atlantic Division Champs.
Total: 655:329 (67%)

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Post by Rizzo »

Love me some Ja Morant and think he's going to be a killer in the new engine. His handles are tight and while everyone is stressing the three-point shot in the new engine, I think people are failing to realize that there are plenty of defensive strategies to force teams off of the three-point line. With that, players are definitely going to need a pull-up game and Morant has that with elite finishing ability in the paint. Milwaukee FINALLY has their point guard!
CSL: Brooklyn Nets (2018-present)

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Ja should work real well in Milwaukee, as he has some immense potential as a scorer, and combine that with his handles should make him an excellent number one guy. Plus I believe he has good potential as a above the break shooter as well.
Holiday/Lillard/Boatright
Reed/Westbrook/Lewis
KD/Gbi/Hezonja/Brooks
Randle/Anigbogu/Moore
WCS/Kabasele