League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO

3 Marquee Wins and a Payneful Trade (Jackson Ayorinde Special)

Write updates about your team or the league here.
Post Reply
User avatar
Jestor
Chairman of the Board
Posts: 3891
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:55 am
Contact:

3 Marquee Wins and a Payneful Trade (Jackson Ayorinde Special)

Post Author: Jestor » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:43 am

Lakers Living In Interesting Times
Image
Marvin Bagley III has overcome an ice cold start

In the beginning of the season, Marvin Bagley III's shot was off and he projected to be in a prolonged slump. But now, as midseason approaches, one of last season's most sparkling rookies has finally shaken off the chill. He's up to a respectable 47.4% from the floor and has played major roles in three of the Lakers' most stunning victories this month against elite teams.

In chronological order:

Win vs Miami - 102-98 - January 17th
It was actually D'Angelo Russell who took home Player of the Game honors with 20 points, 9 assists, 3 rebounds, and a block despite poor efficiency. But Marvin Bagley III netted 11 points, 16 rebounds, and a block, while Noah Vonleh contributed 16 points, 10 rebounds, and a block of his own. Off the bench were a paired 15 points each from Cameron Oliver and Dikembe Dixson on great shooting, with Dixson also adding 4 rejections in 27 minutes.

Rough night offensively for the Heat - 37.6% from the floor, 29.1% from 3 point range in this epic battle of zone defenses. Even Ben Simmons (18/12/6/1/1 on 9 of 24 shooting) couldn't save them in the City of Angels.

Win vs Portland - 110-95 - January 22nd
The Blazers were never in this game. Not with the double-wrecking ball of Marvin Bagley III (32 points, 12 rebounds, 3 blocks) and Noah Vonleh (23 points, 9 rebounds, 1 block) making life miserable inside for Portland. Although he continued to shoot poorly, D'Angelo Russell found a lot of ways to contribute for his 19 points, 8 rebounds, 7 assists, and a steal - approaching triple-double territory. Leron Black provided a surprise 11 bench points.

Win vs Phoenix - 129-110 - January 24th
The game after the Blazers, Team Purple and Gold stayed hot. Once again, PotG Marvin Bagley III (32 points, 12 rebounds, a block) and Noah Vonleh (19 points, 9 rebounds in Okaro White's face) teamed up to deliver knockout punches in the paint, while departing Dzanan Musa rolled up 15 points, 12 rebounds, 6 assists, and 2 blocks in a rare game where he wasn't outmatched. Dikembe Dixson and Cameron Oliver were again bench-scoring twins with 11 each.

Now About That Trade...
Image
Dzanan Musa disappointed in purple and gold

It was clear - Dzanan Musa, for all his talent, was simply a poor fit for this roster. After Markelle Fultz went #2 to the Knicks, who had back-to-back selections following lottery magic the Lakers have never had, the Purple and Gold's front office didn't really love any of the remaining options. Musa came closest of any of them, though Shaquille Harrison did merit some consideration.

10.1 points, 5.6 rebounds, 2.1 A/TO ratio - 38.5% from the floor, 30% from 3 point - 68.4% Drive Stop, 0.94 PA/SF, 0.7 TOFC
-Musa's final Lakers statline

When the Lakers agreed to the initial deal, they thought Damian Lillard would be trade-eligible again at the deadline, and the plan was to flip him to a contender for rebuilding assets then. When word leaked afterward that the team had miscalculated and were off by a week, the team attempted to pull out.

"The Clippers thought it was because we were being trashed," said a team source. "That's bullshit. It had nothing to do with that. We've taken incredible heat before. It had to do with the fact that we wouldn't be able to flip Lillard at the deadline - two title shots with him vs one is a huge difference in value."

Unfortunately, league rules handcuffed the team. While the Bulls and Wizards were willing to return to the original three team deal, the Clippers refused. "Frankly, our franchises don't have much use for each other on a good day, given the city rivalry. Putting the screws on us like that, because they saw they were getting bailed out of Lillard themselves and getting a great young asset? Yeah, fuck them pretty much," said the source. "They don't like us for what we did, we don't like them for what they did, and it'll be a while before you see jersey swaps at Staples Center after this."

With relations at Cold War-levels, the Chicago Bulls came charging back in to offer the Lakers their choice of two other players. One was obvious - a fantastic roster fit who had been high on Jestor's acquisition list for several seasons. The four teams returned to the table, with a fifth team added - the New Orleans Pelicans.

The team source noted, "Chicago as usual was shepherding the deal. We were also in the equation and came up with the basic structure for how this five team trade could both work mathematically and be split into two trades that would each stand on their own. So between the two of us, we got the details sorted out."

But there was a catch. In order for this to come off, the Pelicans had to agree. After shopping Anthony Davis around during the weekend, New Orleans did sign off. Away to the Clippers went Dzanan Musa and Keifer Sykes, with Cameron Payne arriving from Chicago and Bruno Cabocolo coming from the Washington Wizards.

Had the trade not gone through? From what various people involved tell me, Chicago likely was searching for backup options, but most likely the four team deal would have gone through and the Lakers ownership would have given Jestor the option to either resign or be fired - immediately.

Image
Cameron Payne flips red and black for purple and gold

The tenor changes when Cameron Payne's projected Lakers impact comes up.

"We absolutely love this kid and have for a long time. He's an absolute bulldog - he'll get down and battle you defensively, make all the passing plays you need even if he isn't a wizard at it, take care of the ball, and he just plays so, so smartly. Incredibly disciplined, super smart. Has a huge chip on his shoulder because of all the people who said he disappointed as a first overall pick and didn't develop into a franchise point guard. He especially gets pissed when you tell him Terry Rozier is better.

Look, he didn't have the team success in Golden State, but that wasn't on him. The roster just didn't fit together there. In Chicago, he was a big part of the transition Bulls still getting to the playoffs in a brutal East. Here, he'll be able to be that shutdown guy in the backcourt, contribute his two-way game, and free up D'Angelo Russell to play a combo guard role instead of having to worry about running the offense full time.

Yes, we still lost on value, but in terms of fit? Fitwise, Cameron is miles ahead of Musa, especially given this draft class has nobody at the point capable of playing defense in the Top 10, where we'll have two selections. We've searched a long time for a starting point guard since Jeremy Lin took us to the playoffs. Now we think we might finally have the right guy, and at 27, he's still young enough to be part of our eventual contending window."

User avatar
hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board
Posts: 4776
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:26 pm
Contact:

Re: 3 Marquee Wins and a Payneful Trade (Jackson Ayorinde Special)

Post Author: hardenwithnod » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:37 pm

I am a big fan of Payne, as he's not a franchise changing talent, but a very good 2 way point guard that can run the offense, and play good defense.
Cotton/Trice/Ferrell
Devyn-Marble/Lewis
Hezonja/Dotson/Leaf
Anigbogu/Rabb/Giles/Spellman
Cauley-Stein/Marjanovic/Allen

User avatar
Dennis
Commisioner Emeritus
Posts: 8039
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:19 am
Location: Düsseldorf
Contact:

Re: 3 Marquee Wins and a Payneful Trade (Jackson Ayorinde Special)

Post Author: Dennis » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:34 pm

What is "payneful" about the trade? Marcus made you get out of it. Heard the Sixers are happy they are still league owned.
Boston Celtics "HoF":
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook <> 2016 - 2019
PG M. Conley <> 2018 - 2020

7 times Atlantic Division Champs.
Total: 536:284 (65%)

User avatar
Myles
Commissioner
Posts: 3133
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:26 am
Contact:

Re: 3 Marquee Wins and a Payneful Trade (Jackson Ayorinde Special)

Post Author: Myles » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:26 pm

Let's exercise some personal accountability.
Jestor wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:43 am
Had the trade not gone through? From what various people involved tell me, Chicago likely was searching for backup options, but most likely the four team deal would have gone through and the Lakers ownership would have given Jestor the option to either resign or be fired - immediately.
This is you saying that you threatened to quit if the trade didn't get reworked to include Payne. YOU are Lakers ownership Tim, so however you want to word it to try and get cute, the fact of the matter is, you and only you determine if you remain as the Lakers GM. Trying to make it sound like there's some forces outside of your control that determine whether or not you stay is false. If you had quit over this trade debacle, which was your own doing by the way, that would have been entirely your choice and would have been legitimately more pathetic than the 5-year-old I saw at Hobby Lobby on Friday who threw a temper tantrum because his mom wouldn't buy him candy.
Jestor wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:43 am
Lakers ownership furious at whole situation and regrets rehiring Jestor agreement brokered with league.
Again, personal accountability. You left the league at the beginning of March 2018, and the next CSL-related post you made was within 36 hours after the Lakers hired a new GM, which was no accident whatsoever. The league rules clearly state that you have to sit out for a full season to rejoin the league, unless you go back to your old team. Suddenly, not going back to your old team wasn't an option, and your activity spikes. You write four articles in four days, stating that the 76ers should fire their GM and that 76ers were "pushing hard to land Jestor." Again, there's no ownership in this league. You were taking completely unveiled shots at the 76ers GM as well as essentially pushing the commissioners to open up the 76ers for you to apply to be their GM. Further, you spoke for the "Lakers ownership" in your articles (again, a non-existent entity), which was just your way of trying to force the hand of the commissioners, for the third time in three days, to let you be the Sixers GM.

While we're on this topic, all the drama you caused around this was the major reason why Mulletman, the guy who initially took over the Lakers, left the league. He wasn't a fan of all the bullshit that he felt he was in the middle of despite not doing a single thing wrong himself, and immediately felt not welcomed by the league for this.

So don't go hiding behind the facade of "Lakers ownership" and "agreements brokered with the league." You tried to circumvent the rules, you failed, and you put the blame on everyone else and have made yourself the victim. This is no one's doing but your own.
Jestor wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:43 pm
Lakers RESCIND confirmation.

Sorry, Dylan. But I made this deal thinking Lillard was still deadline eligible this year. Turns out he’s not and that completely changes the valuation for me.
This trade falling apart was 100% on you making a dumb mistake that veteran GMs don't get free passes on. We should have processed the trade as is on Friday, there was no reason not to. Only the kindness in our hearts of wanting to make sure that everyone in the league is happy is what caused us to hold off on a trade that was posted and agreed to already by all parties involved. I'm only speaking on facts here, so I am not going to make any comments on what happened after that trade that led to the current trades, but your comments in your article here, as well as the following comments from Marcos do lead me to believe that you threatened to quit behind the scenes if you didn't get your way.
Marcos_Beck wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:03 am
We’ve find a solution for this deal that suits all teams as everyone can see. This can be officially cancelled then. Thank you for waiting on that matter, I’m pretty sure our solution helped avoiding something much worse from happening.

Glad to see everyone happy, this deal is cancelled.
If that is indeed true, then shame on you Tim. You've been in sim leagues for how long? You know better than this. Absolutely pathetic show from you here.

User avatar
Ocons
CEO
Posts: 2443
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:33 pm
Contact:

Re: 3 Marquee Wins and a Payneful Trade (Jackson Ayorinde Special)

Post Author: Ocons » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:23 pm

Seriously? The deal was allowed to be canceled because Tim found a loophole in which he could claim the whole thing hinged on Lillard being deadline eligible?!?! If that's true, it's an all new low for LAL - to dump someone so hyped just to MAYBE trade the return by the deadline. Also, bullshit. Someone who knows everything and anything about the league and the engine doesn't realize the player will be restricted? LOL

Sounds like there may have been some help from others in coming up with this masterplan to reverse pivot on the deal. LAL isn't the only team that made out much better by the original moves falling through. Some things NEVER change. love it.

Hence why I can't be bothered to be around that much anymore. It's a sim league and the hissy fits and levels people go to for an edge is unreal.
Image C Porzingis PF Dieng SF Hamilton SG Allen PG Irving

User avatar
Myles
Commissioner
Posts: 3133
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:26 am
Contact:

Re: 3 Marquee Wins and a Payneful Trade (Jackson Ayorinde Special)

Post Author: Myles » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:39 pm

I just want to be clear, the deal was not canceled because Tim claimed the Lillard thing. That wouldn't have flown with us and we would have processed the deal. Marcos asked us to put it on hold so that they could rework the deal so that everyone would be happy. Had they not reworked the deal, the original deal would have been processed today. The "Lillard isn't deadline eligible" thing did not play into our decision at all.

User avatar
Jestor
Chairman of the Board
Posts: 3891
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:55 am
Contact:

Re: 3 Marquee Wins and a Payneful Trade (Jackson Ayorinde Special)

Post Author: Jestor » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:56 pm

Y’all are seriously tripping and factually incorrect.

1. Still on about the rehire situation? Like I explained then, it was pure coincidence. I left league to work on finding job. My finally getting a job happened at the same time Lakers GM left. It was pure coincidence that both events happened at the same time.

2. You’re reading waaaay too much into this article. Don’t confuse storyline/universe with real life. I never threatened to quit if trade wasn’t cancelled or reworked.

3. Actually, now I’m out. Between some of the toxic personalities in the league and an admin going all conspiracy theorist on me, I don’t need this shit in what’s supposed to be a damn hobby.

Later.

User avatar
Myles
Commissioner
Posts: 3133
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:26 am
Contact:

Re: 3 Marquee Wins and a Payneful Trade (Jackson Ayorinde Special)

Post Author: Myles » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:06 pm

I'm still on the rehire situation? You are the one that brought it up in your most recent tweet. You say what I said was factually incorrect, but please, point out what was factually incorrect. Did you not post 4 articles in the 4 days after the Lakers GM was hired? Is that not a fact?

Bye

User avatar
Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022
Posts: 2427
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:42 am
Contact:

Re: 3 Marquee Wins and a Payneful Trade (Jackson Ayorinde Special)

Post Author: Andrewu91 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:49 pm

So who wants Wesley Saunders?
Image
Bledsoe - Stanley - Klay 2022

Year 1 - 15-67 - *worst record*
Year 2 - 36-46 - Stanley era begins
Year 3 - 40-42
Year 4 - 46-36 - CSL Playoffs
Year 5 - 52-30 - Northwest Divison winner, CSL League Champion
Year 6 - 60-22 - Northwest Divison winner, CSL best record, Western Conference Finals
Year 7 - Stanley era ends. "The New Beginning"

Top 3 in GM of the Year: 2022, 2023
Top 2 in Coach of the Year: 2023
SJJ Top 3 in MVP Voting Year: 2023

User avatar
Ocons
CEO
Posts: 2443
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:33 pm
Contact:

Re: 3 Marquee Wins and a Payneful Trade (Jackson Ayorinde Special)

Post Author: Ocons » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:02 am

Oooooooooh. This is getting juicy. Lol @ toxic personalities on a sim league forum.
Image C Porzingis PF Dieng SF Hamilton SG Allen PG Irving

User avatar
Ocons
CEO
Posts: 2443
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:33 pm
Contact:

Re: 3 Marquee Wins and a Payneful Trade (Jackson Ayorinde Special)

Post Author: Ocons » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:04 am

Also, it was only a re worked deal bc Marcos was able to bamboozle NOP instead. One had nothing to do with the other.
Image C Porzingis PF Dieng SF Hamilton SG Allen PG Irving

User avatar
Ocons
CEO
Posts: 2443
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:33 pm
Contact:

Re: 3 Marquee Wins and a Payneful Trade (Jackson Ayorinde Special)

Post Author: Ocons » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:50 pm

You can't lock every thread Myles!!! LOL


I was making a very nice statement for once. Saying that none of us truly know each other so I think people in here take things way too personally. Everyone is in here for the fun of it and it's a public, internet forum. I can only imagine what some of us look like, sounds like, act like in real life. Most might be the same, some might be totally different. But nobody knows. Also, with the different cultures and languages, so many things get lost in translation. It's hard enough to understand the tone of what someone is saying by just reading words. That's also the beauty of this league.


With that being said, we are all very competitive and that's another reason we are here. It's tough to not take things too serious and personal but we all need to do a better job of it. Nothing said here can really be a genuine personal attack because we don't know each other.


So, get over it. Cheer up. Let's move on.

PS: Myles, you yourself went IN on Tim here. . . soooooo. :P
Image C Porzingis PF Dieng SF Hamilton SG Allen PG Irving

User avatar
hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board
Posts: 4776
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:26 pm
Contact:

Re: 3 Marquee Wins and a Payneful Trade (Jackson Ayorinde Special)

Post Author: hardenwithnod » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:51 pm

Ocons wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:50 pm
You can't lock every thread Myles!!! LOL


I was making a very nice statement for once. Saying that none of us truly know each other so I think people in here take things way too personally. Everyone is in here for the fun of it and it's a public, internet forum. I can only imagine what some of us look like, sounds like, act like in real life. Most might be the same, some might be totally different. But nobody knows. Also, with the different cultures and languages, so many things get lost in translation. It's hard enough to understand the tone of what someone is saying by just reading words. That's also the beauty of this league.


With that being said, we are all very competitive and that's another reason we are here. It's tough to not take things too serious and personal but we all need to do a better job of it. Nothing said here can really be a genuine personal attack because we don't know each other.


So, get over it. Cheer up. Let's move on.

PS: Myles, you yourself went IN on Tim here. . . soooooo. :P
Well said.
Cotton/Trice/Ferrell
Devyn-Marble/Lewis
Hezonja/Dotson/Leaf
Anigbogu/Rabb/Giles/Spellman
Cauley-Stein/Marjanovic/Allen

User avatar
Myles
Commissioner
Posts: 3133
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:26 am
Contact:

Re: 3 Marquee Wins and a Payneful Trade (Jackson Ayorinde Special)

Post Author: Myles » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:57 pm

Kevin, that was beautiful. Whatever you had for breakfast today, have it every day, cause this is a Kevin I can get behind.

And you’re absolutely right, I went in on Tim. I was definitely talking to myself with that statement as well, I lost my cool yesterday, and I am sorry for that.

User avatar
Dennis
Commisioner Emeritus
Posts: 8039
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:19 am
Location: Düsseldorf
Contact:

Re: 3 Marquee Wins and a Payneful Trade (Jackson Ayorinde Special)

Post Author: Dennis » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:19 pm

Okay Time to get back to normal. We just lost Kevin and he was replaced with someone we don't know yet.
Boston Celtics "HoF":
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook <> 2016 - 2019
PG M. Conley <> 2018 - 2020

7 times Atlantic Division Champs.
Total: 536:284 (65%)

User avatar
Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019
Posts: 5446
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:15 am
Location: Brazil
Contact:

Re: 3 Marquee Wins and a Payneful Trade (Jackson Ayorinde Special)

Post Author: Marcos_Beck » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:31 pm

Ocons wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:50 pm
You can't lock every thread Myles!!! LOL


I was making a very nice statement for once. Saying that none of us truly know each other so I think people in here take things way too personally. Everyone is in here for the fun of it and it's a public, internet forum. I can only imagine what some of us look like, sounds like, act like in real life. Most might be the same, some might be totally different. But nobody knows. Also, with the different cultures and languages, so many things get lost in translation. It's hard enough to understand the tone of what someone is saying by just reading words. That's also the beauty of this league.


With that being said, we are all very competitive and that's another reason we are here. It's tough to not take things too serious and personal but we all need to do a better job of it. Nothing said here can really be a genuine personal attack because we don't know each other.


So, get over it. Cheer up. Let's move on.

PS: Myles, you yourself went IN on Tim here. . . soooooo. :P
Man.
Who are you?

Btw, that was great. I respect you for that, Kevin.
#22 C. Payne #32 J.Crowder #43 K.Leonard #24 L.Markkanen #17 L.Birutis
#0 D.Lillard #14 G.Harris #52 J.Stokes #31 J. Allen


Image
Forever.
18-19 Champions Image
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah #0 L.Stephenson

User avatar
Silogical
CEO
Posts: 2087
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:24 am
Contact:

Re: 3 Marquee Wins and a Payneful Trade (Jackson Ayorinde Special)

Post Author: Silogical » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:18 pm

Ocons wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:50 pm
You can't lock every thread Myles!!! LOL


I was making a very nice statement for once. Saying that none of us truly know each other so I think people in here take things way too personally. Everyone is in here for the fun of it and it's a public, internet forum. I can only imagine what some of us look like, sounds like, act like in real life. Most might be the same, some might be totally different. But nobody knows. Also, with the different cultures and languages, so many things get lost in translation. It's hard enough to understand the tone of what someone is saying by just reading words. That's also the beauty of this league.


With that being said, we are all very competitive and that's another reason we are here. It's tough to not take things too serious and personal but we all need to do a better job of it. Nothing said here can really be a genuine personal attack because we don't know each other.


So, get over it. Cheer up. Let's move on.

PS: Myles, you yourself went IN on Tim here. . . soooooo. :P
There's only like 4 villains in this league, so stop this and play your role.

User avatar
TheTwoWallaces
General Manager
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu May 23, 2019 4:31 pm
Contact:

Re: 3 Marquee Wins and a Payneful Trade (Jackson Ayorinde Special)

Post Author: TheTwoWallaces » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:35 pm

So what did I miss
2023-2024 Pacers

Sexton | Alkins | Winslow | Love | Patton

Okobo | Okogie | Butler | Ojeleye | Lual-Acuil

User avatar
KW
CSL Champ 2017
Posts: 6159
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:18 am
Location: Matthews, NC
Contact:

Re: 3 Marquee Wins and a Payneful Trade (Jackson Ayorinde Special)

Post Author: KW » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:54 pm

absolutely nothing, carry on like usual
Image
Pointer | Batum | Chriss | Porter | Mika __ Sanders | | Purvis | Anunoby | Moore

User avatar
TheTwoWallaces
General Manager
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu May 23, 2019 4:31 pm
Contact:

Re: 3 Marquee Wins and a Payneful Trade (Jackson Ayorinde Special)

Post Author: TheTwoWallaces » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:09 pm

Word word go Pacers
2023-2024 Pacers

Sexton | Alkins | Winslow | Love | Patton

Okobo | Okogie | Butler | Ojeleye | Lual-Acuil

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests