League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

From CSL joke to CSL champion

Write updates about your team or the league here.
Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

From CSL joke to CSL champion

Post by Andrewu91 »

It all started with the username "8timechamp". After winning fbb championships in multiple leagues, I came into the CSL as a cocky, egotistical 24 year old. The username explains it all. The league was pretty full and super active, so I was put on the waiting list with Silo. Silo ended up getting a team, and I asked to be his co-gm, to get a better understanding on this league in general. After a few weeks, the Oklahoma City Thunder team opened up and I left the Heat for the Thunder, with 13 games left in the season. The roster then was god awful. The starting lineup consisted of:

Greivis Vasquez
Nick Johnson
Michael-Kidd Gilchrist
Paul Milsap
Nikola Vucevic

The team finished 44-38 on the season and I lost the 8th seed on a tie breaker(thanks Doug).

Going into the off season, I wanted to continue to retool. My main goal was to sign Rajon Rondo and go for the playoffs the next season. I ended up signing him and we went into next season. A few gm's really liked my team, because they consisted with all defensive players. Unfortunately by mid season, I had a losing record and ended up trading Rajon Rondo for Ty Lawson and Nuggets first. I also ended up trading MKG for a few of the Nuggets firsts. My first thought after was to rebuild this team from the ground up. I got lucky and traded for Wesley Saunders who had a career year as a rookie and won rookie of the year. In my mind, I had a rookie who was going to improve and get better. I finished that season 34-48 as a rookie gm with dds3 and missed the playoffs.

Going into the off season, rebuilding was still on my mind. I had not scouted anyone because the previous gm ended up trading my pick that season. But the Brooklyn Nets had interest in Ty Lawson and I traded Lawson for the #3 pick, which turned out to be the famous Terry Rozier. The trade got blasted by many gm's saying Rozier can't shoot and they couldn't believe I traded Lawson for him. I love proving people wrong and I ended up proving them wrong on Rozier...

During that same off season, every gm with cap space wanted to sign all the big Free Agents. My first thought was why. Why go after the same player everyone else wanted to sign. So I went for Jordan Clarkson and luckily enough, he accepted my offer and I signed a key player entering the next season. My lineup consisted of rookie Rozier, Saunders, Clarkson and scrubs. Ended up making my worst trade in my CSL career. Traded three firsts for Justin Anderson. Everyone thought the former #2 pick Justin Anderson would be a borderline All Star. He never panned out though. I ended up finishing that season with the worst record at 17-65. At that point, I was super excited. Porzingis and Draymond Green were the top prospects that year. Unfortunately the lottery balls didn't roll my way and the Thunder were slotted with the #3 pick.

At that point, I was pissed as hell. My team was horrible as is and now I have the #3 pick. I shopped the pick heavily and luckily found a taker. Stanley Johnson was coming to the Thunder, with John Wall going to the Spurs and #3 went to the Wizards. That off season I ended up sign and trading for James Young. He was 11.5 million and all I had in cap was 9 million. Talked to Jon and we quickly agreed to a deal. Going to the Pistons were Denzel Valentine and DeAndre Bembry.

The next season no one had my team even competing. Brett said I wouldn't win over 29 games. We ended up winning 36 games. Just a few games from missing the playoffs. At that point, I was getting criticized for my username "8timechamp". Half the league hated me because I was cocky and told everyone how it was and that I would win the title eventually. I got laughed at and was the joke of the CSL. Which was fine with me, that only fuels my fire. I love it when people doubt me.

Anyway, after that season, everyone continued to go for the big fish in Free Agency. My choice? Ricky Rubio. He could do it all, from passing to stealing the ball and setting up teammates. In my mind, I was for sure a playoff team.

Unfortunately Stanley Johnson broke his leg and then right when he came back, Terry Rozier broke his arm. My two star players did not play a single game together until game 41 of the regular season. Ended up finishing the regular season at 40-42 and missed the playoffs by two games.

The good news at this point? My team kept improving from 17-65, to 40-42, so the Thunder were on the right track. Just had to keep the players improving with their potential. Matty(Pacers gm) wanted McRae so I traded McRae for a future Pacers first round pick.

The next season, made some moves and traded Pacers pick for Klay Thompson and ended up with Zhou Qi. Also traded James Young for Knicks 2022 first round pick. But the same shit occurred. Stanley got injured and so did Rozier. Luckily I finished the season 46-36. But 6 games before the season was over, Stanley broke his leg and was out for the playoffs. This guy keeps trying to screw me over. I finally made the post season but the future champion Sun's swept me.

So what do I do now? Obviously i slowly improved every year but injuries are killing my team. That's when I had a talk with my good buddy Marcos. He had mentioned Suns were dangling Bledsoe and MKG around, after just winning the championship. I guess they wanted to rebuild which was understandable. In my mind, it was a no brainier. The chance to pair Bledsoe, MKG with Rozier, Klay and Stanley was a no brainier. Talked to Doug and we had agreed to a deal within a few hours. But... I wanted to keep things quiet. With Rozier and Qi being free agents, I didn't want anyone to price drive them after my trade. So Doug and I agreed to keep the deal quiet until I re-signed both players. They re-signed and the deal was announced.

I was as happy as I could be. I thought I had a championship contender. Fast forward 34 games the next season and my record was 21-13. My team just didn't click. Rozier was taking shots away from Bledsoe, Klay and Stanley. That's when I reached out to Jon and sold Rozier low for McRae and Josh Davis. Both low usage, high impact players, As always, gm's listed every team besides the Thunder as contenders. That fueled me and made me want to win even more. Playoffs roll around and I sweep the Jazz 4-0.

That's when it happened again. Game 1 of round two, Stanley Johnson got injured and was out for 16 days. I was furious and fuming. He cost me a title last season and was trying to do so again. So I brainstormed and this Kings team wasn't a good three point shooting team. Ended up running my pace to 9 and zoned them 9. Series ended up 4-2 Thunder with Stanley returning game 2 of the next series.

My next opponent after Dallas choked, was another team no one even mentioned as being a contender, the Portland Trailblazers. So we had two teams who weren't in people minds, competing for the Western Conference crown.

Game one Portland whooped my ass. Stanley came back game 2 and I whooped their ass. That's when Joe Ingles got hurt in game 3. He held Bledsoe to 2-11 shooting and broke his elbow. Thunder won game 3 and game 4. Up 3-1 but the Blazers weren't going down without a fight. They won the next game. So the series now was 3-2. I did not want this going to game 7. The Blazers again won game 6 and i was sweating. For game 7, I threw my best lineup out there and prayed for some luck. Stanley freaking Johnson came through with 39 points and 16 rebounds and won me the game. Such a sigh of relief. But I saw who I was facing in the CSL Finals and that sigh of relief quickly diminished. The Miami Heat were next.

The Finals game 1 happened and I won by 6 points. Didn't change anything as I was just feeling this team out and lost game 2 by 4 points, after Bledsoe fouled out in 15 minutes. Looked at the Heat's sub-matrix and they had not changed a thing. I figured a fluke game since Bledsoe fouled out and didn't change a thing besides zone being a 3. Game 3 happened and Stanley fouled out with 0 points and 5 rebounds. The Miami Heat were up 2-1. This is when I told myself "time to stop feeling this team out. If this is the best they can throw at me, I'll be fine". Changed my sub-matrix for game 4 and won by 19 points. Heat still didn't change a thing. But i had a feeling he would for game 5. Little did he know, I had screenshoted his series with Boston and Cleveland to get a better understanding of his thought process. Screen shotted game for game and the changes he made in those series. So going into game 5, I had the upper hand knowing what he would try to counter with. Luckily I won game 5 by 25 points and he played 375lb. Smith at power forward. For game 6, I figured he would bring back Dennis Smith and slotted McRae at shooting guard to match with Smith and Lillard, when Silo decided to play both at that position. Unfortunately McRae fouled out in 13 minutes but I won the game by 11 points! I was the CSL Champion after years of taunting and abuse from gm's. At that moment, a huge burden came off my shoulders and I was now the best team in the league!

That's my story. Hope you guys had a fun read. Go Thunder.

Last edited by Andrewu91 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:57 pm, edited 12 times in total.
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

Stockton12
Chairman of the Board

Re: From CSL joke to CSL champion

Post by Stockton12 »

Awesome read and great story ..you have proved so many people wrong ..well done on the championship

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Stockton12 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:45 am Awesome read and great story ..you have proved so many people wrong ..well done on the championship
Thanks buddy. I came a long way and finally get to celebrate. Can't wait for the banner. :)

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

Countless times you wanted to give up and quit and everything.
In the end, it all went ok. Congrats on the ring, really huge from you to remember all that history, I can’t even remember how I did last season haha

Well done Andrew! 0timechamp no more!
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Marcos_Beck wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:12 am Countless times you wanted to give up and quit and everything.
In the end, it all went ok. Congrats on the ring, really huge from you to remember all that history, I can’t even remember how I did last season haha

Well done Andrew! 0timechamp no more!
Quiting was just me being mad like a woman. But woman come back after they are done throwing a fit lol. And yes I have a good memory, even more that I didn't include in the article.

And yes no more "0time"! Thanks buddy. Without that Bledsoe idea, who knows if this would have happened. Payback for trading you Bogut I suppose. ;)

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

Yeah, congrats man.

I felt comfortable without Westbrook going into the post season but against you guys, for that series, he was sorely missed. We really needed him to get Klay into foul trouble and his defense is handy too.

You worked it though and got through all teams.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

bt wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:23 am Yeah, congrats man.

I felt comfortable without Westbrook going into the post season but against you guys, for that series, he was sorely missed. We really needed him to get Klay into foul trouble and his defense is handy too.

You worked it though and got through all teams.
Thanks and yeah. I told the GM's in the chat, with a healthy Westbrook, you guys were the most talented team in the league. But like every playoffs, the healthiest team usually wins, not the most talented. Injuries have hurt a lot of Championship contenders in the past.

You guys will be back stronger than ever next year. No doubt.

Stockton12
Chairman of the Board

Post by Stockton12 »

Andrewu91 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:04 am
Stockton12 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:45 am Awesome read and great story ..you have proved so many people wrong ..well done on the championship
Thanks buddy. I came a long way and finally get to celebrate. Can't wait for the banner. :)
Yes we need a new banner

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

Stockton12 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:51 am
Andrewu91 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:04 am
Yes we need a new banner
Its being worked on.

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Man, I thought this was a Tim article at first, as it's very long hahaha! Good read man, and job well done. I know you have caught a lot of crap throughout the years, but you have made some very big moves in the end, and it all finally paid off. Congrats again!
Big changes are coming in D.C.

Ocons
Chairman of the Board

Post by Ocons »

More like CSL Joke with a Ring. Kidding. As I've said before, impressed by what you've been able to do. Didn't think you had it in you and surprised by how humble you've been. Kudos. Nobody can take this away from you now and you can essentially play with house money here on out. . . have some fun with it.
Clown.Show.League

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

hardenwithnod wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:29 pm Man, I thought this was a Tim article at first, as it's very long hahaha! Good read man, and job well done. I know you have caught a lot of crap throughout the years, but you have made some very big moves in the end, and it all finally paid off. Congrats again!
Had to make up for my previous 5 text message articles

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Ocons wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:26 pm More like CSL Joke with a Ring. Kidding. As I've said before, impressed by what you've been able to do. Didn't think you had it in you and surprised by how humble you've been. Kudos. Nobody can take this away from you now and you can essentially play with house money here on out. . . have some fun with it.
You know I will :twisted:

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

I'm convinced you wrote this article when you first joined the league and have been adding onto it every season waiting to release it until you got a ring. To remember that stuff would be crazy.

All in all, congrats man. Its well deserved and, as evidenced by a new champ every year, its hard to get back to that goal so well done.

Ocons
Chairman of the Board

Post by Ocons »

emplep7 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:22 pm I'm convinced you wrote this article when you first joined the league and have been adding onto it every season waiting to release it until you got a ring. To remember that stuff would be crazy.
Hahahah, that was my initial thought. I didn't read a sentence from this article either but based on the length and comments, I said he def had this typed up for awhile.
Clown.Show.League

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

emplep7 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:22 pm I'm convinced you wrote this article when you first joined the league and have been adding onto it every season waiting to release it until you got a ring. To remember that stuff would be crazy.

All in all, congrats man. Its well deserved and, as evidenced by a new champ every year, its hard to get back to that goal so well done.
Haha just have a good memory I guess.

And yeah, it's hard to repeat but I want to be the very first CSL champion to repeat or win two titles. That's my next goal/motivation. :)

ozymandias
Senior Vice President

Post by ozymandias »

Finally had time to read this. Again, congratulations on winnging the title!

Now it's time to trade Stanley for Rondo and start all over again. :D

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

ozymandias wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:32 pm Finally had time to read this. Again, congratulations on winnging the title!

Now it's time to trade Stanley for Rondo and start all over again. :D
Lol

But on a serious note, Stanley is available if you are interested. No offer is a bad offer. I listen to every one

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

Also read it, this is a great article Andrew! Congrats on winning a title, no one can ever take that away from you and you have joined the elite GM's in the league that have won in the past. You still have a top roster and I hope you look to repeat as you mentioned you might go down that road. Repeating and winning back to back is something no one has ever done.
Ball is Life.

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

blackice wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:36 pm Also read it, this is a great article Andrew! Congrats on winning a title, no one can ever take that away from you and you have joined the elite GM's in the league that have won in the past. You still have a top roster and I hope you look to repeat as you mentioned you might go down that road. Repeating and winning back to back is something no one has ever done.
Thanks man. For sure. It's been a long journey from what I started with. Tough times for this team and I finally won. I wasn't going to stop until I won. Haha

And yes, I want to win another ring. Would be a cool accomplishment that no one has ever done. Glad you enjoyed the read.