League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

DDS3 Offensive Sets

Chilikonkarne
CEO

DDS3 Offensive Sets

Post by Chilikonkarne »

Could someone remind me the different Offensive Set and their effect? (High Post, Double Post...)
I am pretty sure I am using some of them incorrectly

Thanks!
Chilikonkarne Era (273-186 / 59%)

2014-2015 : 28-21 - (Lottery)
2015-2016 : 50-32 - (Conference Final)
2016-2017 : 35-47 - (Lottery)
2017-2018 : 54-28 - (Conference Final, Atlantic Division Champion)
2018-2019 : 49-33 - (2nd round)
2019-2020 : 57-25 - (2nd round, Atlantic Division Champion)

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Re: Offensive Set

Post by Rizzo »

From the Wolverine Studios forum:
1. Standard
2. Single Post
3. Double Post
4. High Post
5. Iso Offense
6. Dribble Drive
7. Ball Movement

These are not meant to be set plays or designed offenses, they are meant to be mechanisms to give you more control over your style of play. If you are playing in local mode you will operate based on the preferences of the head coach, like always. If you are in global mode you will operate on the preferences of the head coach unless you uncheck the box on the roster/strategy tab for use coach settings - then it will revert to your philosophy settings which are changed in the office screen.

The standard offense is just what the game does now - each player tends to move to the areas on the floor he is most comfortable with.

The single post offense will take your center and place him in the post and the other four offensive players will be outside of the post (4 out 1 in offense)

The double post offense works similar but uses 3 perimeter players and 2 post players (PF/C)

The high post offense puts the SF and PF in similar wing/high post/low post opportunities while the guards play the perimeter and the C works the low post

The iso offense works like the standard offense but the emphasis is even more highly on getting the ball to players who are highly rated in SCORING and can create their own shot

The dribble drive offense works like the standard offense except that it discourages players from taking some jump shots in an effort to create more drive play either for layups/dunks, shots off the dribble or kick outs for shots.

The ball movement offense works like the standard offense but it puts less emphasis on the SCORING rating. It will not prevent/discourage a player from shooting but it will encourage players to look for other players outside of your top scorers more often.
Career Accolades:
- GM, Cleveland Cavaliers [2013-2018]
- GM, Brooklyn Nets [2018-2030, 2031-Present]
- 0 CSL Championships
- 0 Eastern Conference Championships
- 0 Coach of the Year Awards
- 0 GM of the Year Awards

Rizzo's Hall of Fame Players:
- oCSL Marcus Smart
- SG P.J. Hairston [2015 CSL Draft, Pick 1.16]
- C DeAndre Ayton [2022 CSL Draft, Pick 1.3]
- PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander [2025 CSL Draft, Pick 1.1]

Chilikonkarne
CEO

Post by Chilikonkarne »

This is great! Thanks a lot
Chilikonkarne Era (273-186 / 59%)

2014-2015 : 28-21 - (Lottery)
2015-2016 : 50-32 - (Conference Final)
2016-2017 : 35-47 - (Lottery)
2017-2018 : 54-28 - (Conference Final, Atlantic Division Champion)
2018-2019 : 49-33 - (2nd round)
2019-2020 : 57-25 - (2nd round, Atlantic Division Champion)

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

Rizzo wrote:From the Wolverine Studios forum:
1. Standard
2. Single Post
3. Double Post
4. High Post
5. Iso Offense
6. Dribble Drive
7. Ball Movement

These are not meant to be set plays or designed offenses, they are meant to be mechanisms to give you more control over your style of play. If you are playing in local mode you will operate based on the preferences of the head coach, like always. If you are in global mode you will operate on the preferences of the head coach unless you uncheck the box on the roster/strategy tab for use coach settings - then it will revert to your philosophy settings which are changed in the office screen.

The standard offense is just what the game does now - each player tends to move to the areas on the floor he is most comfortable with.

The single post offense will take your center and place him in the post and the other four offensive players will be outside of the post (4 out 1 in offense)

The double post offense works similar but uses 3 perimeter players and 2 post players (PF/C)

The high post offense puts the SF and PF in similar wing/high post/low post opportunities while the guards play the perimeter and the C works the low post

The iso offense works like the standard offense but the emphasis is even more highly on getting the ball to players who are highly rated in SCORING and can create their own shot

The dribble drive offense works like the standard offense except that it discourages players from taking some jump shots in an effort to create more drive play either for layups/dunks, shots off the dribble or kick outs for shots.

The ball movement offense works like the standard offense but it puts less emphasis on the SCORING rating. It will not prevent/discourage a player from shooting but it will encourage players to look for other players outside of your top scorers more often.
I recognize Tim posting this earlier in my "CSL career" but that's the first time I've read this and fully understood everything. Thanks mate.
Btw I think my team is using the perfect offensive set now haha
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Post by andrei »

Perhaps its worth elaborating this a little bit and sharing some personal experiences with different offensive sets. We are running Single Post and one thing I don't get- perhaps because my understanding of this offense is off. I imagine that this offense works similar to what the Lakers used with Shaq during their first title run. I remember against Philly, they used to get Shaq inside against Mt Mutombo and surround him with the likes of Fisher, Bryant, Fox and Horry. Shaq would go inside against Dikembe and the rest spend most of their time on the outside with occasional dip into the paint for a pass from Shaq. Is it not logical then that your three point attempts should theoretically go up in Single post. I mean, your inside shots will go up for sure but I am surprised to see players that are supposed to shoot more threes, actually don't and settle for other types of shots. Is my understanding of the offense way off?
Congrats to season 16 ASL champion SoulKey. For the Swarm!

lakeshowak7
CEO

Post by lakeshowak7 »

andrei wrote:Perhaps its worth elaborating this a little bit and sharing some personal experiences with different offensive sets. We are running Single Post and one thing I don't get- perhaps because my understanding of this offense is off. I imagine that this offense works similar to what the Lakers used with Shaq during their first title run. I remember against Philly, they used to get Shaq inside against Mt Mutombo and surround him with the likes of Fisher, Bryant, Fox and Horry. Shaq would go inside against Dikembe and the rest spend most of their time on the outside with occasional dip into the paint for a pass from Shaq. Is it not logical then that your three point attempts should theoretically go up in Single post. I mean, your inside shots will go up for sure but I am surprised to see players that are supposed to shoot more threes, actually don't and settle for other types of shots. Is my understanding of the offense way off?
A single post offense is only good when you play with smart players who can run a motion type set to compliment the single post. It's not necessarily conducive to three point shooting, just all depends; but its main focus is curls and cuts while utilizing the big as a facilitator. I'd be willing to bet the engine is not that in-depth in regards to running motion in addition to the single post. Most of these descriptions are very vague as well. If you're running a single-post offense typically it is ideal that the big is a good passer as well to take advantage of all the cuts from the motion sets.

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Post by andrei »

Also is it true that high IQ players shoot more than lower IQ players with similar scoring ratings?

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

I believe we will never know. But Single post helps to get the ball into the Centers hands. Also it inreases the rebounds he grabs a lot.
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Post by andrei »

It increases offensive boards in particular because he always hangs out close to the basket on offense...

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Post by Jestor »

andrei wrote:Also is it true that high IQ players shoot more than lower IQ players with similar scoring ratings?
It only looks like they shoot more because in general, higher IQ players will have better accuracy (Note that this isn't absolute, and also doesn't seem to apply to big men as much as it does guards).

There's a couple ways to get players to shoot more:

1. Pick an offensive set that will increase the scoring of the player you want taking more shots - the descriptions do a pretty good job of this.
2. Have the player specialize in a shot type - Note: this was true as of DDS2. Haven't looked at it in DDS3.

dapralbe
Senior Vice President

Post by dapralbe »

The set offense is very important but you need see other factos to usethe correct. Preferences make changes ratings com ination and compense player habilities. For example my sf don't have scoring mcrobers and trevor booker your real position is pf but i plahin high pace and low rebound with pg and sg with pass, they run well and shoots more than your rating indicate.

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

Thanks for this knowledge, appreciate it guys.

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF K Middleton |
PF W Kessler | C M Williams

drumr
Chairman of the Board

Post by drumr »

This thread is awesome. So many ideas now for how I want the team to operate. One question though for anyone willing to discuss their offense that is running any of the post offenses. How does it affect your guards? Will Kyrie still be able to get his because Draymond doesn't look to score at all? I assume the player with the highest SCR still gets the majority of the passes regardless of offense right? Especially when there's a 20pt difference between them and the next player.
Cleveland Cavaliers

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

bump since i've had a couple people ask me about sets lately. been looking for this for a while

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

bumping because i hate digging through the forum to find this

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

Stickied

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

thanks

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Post by Jestor »

Just to add to this - recent discussion is that Ball Movement also requires high pass/handle relative to position across the lineup to succeed. Otherwise, the losses will pile up.

Iso, Double Post, Dribble Drive, and Standard have all been proven successful with the right mix.

Single Post just inflates your center's trade value.

A grand total of no one has ever gotten High Post to work.

Stockton12
Chairman of the Board

Post by Stockton12 »

I think also ball movement leads to less turnovers per game ..

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Post by Rizzo »

Stockton12 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:39 am I think also ball movement leads to less turnovers per game ..
Is this confirmed? I feel like unless you have a great passing team then this doesn’t make a ton of sense.
Career Accolades:
- GM, Cleveland Cavaliers [2013-2018]
- GM, Brooklyn Nets [2018-2030, 2031-Present]
- 0 CSL Championships
- 0 Eastern Conference Championships
- 0 Coach of the Year Awards
- 0 GM of the Year Awards

Rizzo's Hall of Fame Players:
- oCSL Marcus Smart
- SG P.J. Hairston [2015 CSL Draft, Pick 1.16]
- C DeAndre Ayton [2022 CSL Draft, Pick 1.3]
- PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander [2025 CSL Draft, Pick 1.1]