League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Celtics Ready - Shit we are Deep

Write updates about your team or the league here.
Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Celtics Ready - Shit we are Deep

Post by Dennis »

Free Agency -
Celtics are bringing back three key players for the next season on reasonable and expected contracts. Especially, the resigning of Skal Labissiere looks like an important step towards futher contention in the near future. With range becoming more valuable in the new engine, it appears Labissiere could become a more lethal weapon and a focal point for the Celtics' offense come next Season. The Haitian signed a 5 year contract starting at 12.4m per year. A solid deal for whom we expect to be a leading scorer on our team. Especially his great jumper should become even more valuable once the new era begins.

Next to Labissiere Boston also brought back defensive assassin Isaia Cordinier. With the chance to assign players also on the defensive end in the new era, Cordinier will play an even bigger role in Bostons plans from next season on. While he's not big enough to guard big men, he will be the primary defender for every opponents best guard. His deal, starting at 9.25m for 5 years, was expensive but somehow expected. Given his jumper is very strong, he will also be very valuable on the offensive end if teams tend to run us from the 3 point line or try to pack the paint.

The last one who came back in free agency is point guard David Michineau. The guard, who was the Celtics backup PG last season, will be coming off the bench again. While the management was suprised that no one was actively pursuing the frenchman hard, the office wouldnt have offered more than the 7.8m starting salary david signed for. Looking at Michineau's skillset, it is a very solid contract though. Due to his great playmaking and defense he will always have a role in the league at that contract.
Draft - Armed with three picks the Celtics entered the draft. In a draft that appears to be average at best, it was tough to find fitting pieces. While the scouting department definitely did a mistake by not having Afernee Simmons on ther shortlist, it was Carsen Edwards who was the draftee the Celtics wanted. However, the management deceided to gamble on him being available late at pick 13 and 23 to select him with their 30s pick. At 13 Boston selected Caleb Martin - whoch suprised many experts. The reason was, that Caleb was the only wing able to shoot the ball. Ratingwise the frontoffice prefered players like Zhaire Smith or Donte DiVincenzo, but guards/wings unable to shoot above 40% is just nothing they like in Boston. At 23 the Celtics took a gamble on Jontay Porter. That late and with not much talent available anymore anyway, it was worth it to give it a shot as a deep team. Will he be able to play more than 20 games per season? We wont know yet, but even if he only steps in as starter during the postseason, he will be an upgrade for the most important part of the season. Given we have to resign many, it is good to have backup like him, who would be a starter for 80% of the league, signed to a cheap contract.

Trainingcamp - After a succesful draft and free agency, the Celtics also had a solid training camp. With their stars like De'Aron Fox and Skal Labissiere already fully developed, it's the second row that improved a lot and will make the Celtics an even better balanced team next season. Especially Miles Bridges' development is eye-catching. With both wing spots (Isaia Cordinier and Ben McLemore) being locked for now, it will be interesting to see how Bridges will do coming off the bench. Another option could be to see him starting as PF. While his size at 6'7 doesnt look primed to be a 4, his shooting and defense could work well as a stretch four. On top Hlinason has improved significantly and became a Hassan Whiteside type of defensive anchor. A type of player the Celtics have been missing so far. Next to those two, who should see increased minutes due to Michael Gbinije's and Tristan Thompson's departure, also the three young rookies made a big leap forward. It has to be seen if Caleb Martin will see many minutes due to the crowded wings, but Jontay Porter and, especially, Carsen Edwards will play big roles in Boston's rotation.

Rotation - Preseason will help to define how the rotation will look like once the new season starts. So far it looks like only De'Aron Fox and Skal Labissiere have secured starting spots. All other will have to fight for minutes and starts. It wouldnt be suprising to see Boston start the season with the same starting five like last season, but it also could be, that some changes will be made easily due to the improved second row.

Point Guard: De'Aron Fox, David Michineau, Yogi Ferrell
Shooting Guard: Isaia Cordinier, Carsen Edwards
Small Forward: Ben McLemore, Miles Bridges, Kevin Knox, Caleb Martin
Power Forward: Skal Labissiere, Jontay Porter, Mathias Lessort
Center: Aaron Gordon, Trygvvi Hlinason
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

mgtr81
Chairman of the Board

Re: Celtics Ready - Shit we are Deep

Post by mgtr81 »

We almost had the same title for our previews ...

I think Bridges will be one of the players that will benefit the most in the new engine. I was considering trading back into the draft to grab Edwards, so I'm very interested to see how he does.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Very good off-season for the Celtics.
Bringing back 3 important players and not overpaying in the process was a good start.

The draft brought even more talent on board. Johntay was a favorite for me almost the entire time during scouting, of course his DUR is reason for concern, but I would haven taking him in this position in the draft as well. Pure luxury to have him available off the bench. Martin had a nice camp and looks like one more very solid role players in Boston and Edwards addresses one of the biggest needs they had the 2 past playoffs. So well done here Dennis!

Like Manu, I liked Bridges s lot already last season and after his development I expect him to be a great player this upcoming season. So curious to see how every player turns out.

cb4raptorscb4
Commissioner

Post by cb4raptorscb4 »

I can't really disagree with any of the moves you made. The Celtics had a great draft to add on to the talent that was already there. It was known we wanted Edwards at 31, and you snagged him up which is great value. Porter, though glass, will be really interesting. I guess you can play around in preseason to see if he breaks a leg if you play him meaningful minutes. This will be a fun team to watch again next year!
Golden State Warriors
Kris Dunn | PJ Dozier | Ding Yanyuhang | Kevon Looney | Chimezie Metu
Devonte Graham | Nimrod Levi | Tariq Owens | Johnny Hamilton
'23: 34-48 (5-8 as GM)
'24: 40-42, 1st Round Exit
'25: 50-32, Championship Round Loss (4-3)
'26: 48-34, 1st Round Exit
'27: 44-38, Missed Playoffs
'28: 39-43, 1st Round Exit
'29: 57-25, Championship Round Loss (4-2)
'30: 48-34, Conference Finals Loss (4-1)

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

This team is loaded once again, and the young guys have had good training camp as well. I expect this team to be one of the contenders again.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

You need some consolidation moves to get over that hump.

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

I feel like this might be Dennis's year, I could easily see the Celtics coming out of the East. There's a ton of talent here and a move to consolidate for a star to put beside Fox might be prudent.
Ball is Life.

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Absolutely trying to consolidate. But there are only a few players im interested in. Most of the GMs owning those guy prefer trying to build around one guy (and having nearly zero assets) over getting a playoff worthy starting five with no superstar though. Which is fair, but makes it tough for us to find that Second super super star next to fox.

I think skal could do way better in 19 though and beidges, if he keeps improving his SCR, gonna be a potential second star very soon.

CSL Champions Image 2028

drumr
Chairman of the Board

Post by drumr »

blackice wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:11 am I feel like this might be Dennis's year, I could easily see the Celtics coming out of the East. There's a ton of talent here and a move to consolidate for a star to put beside Fox might be prudent.
I don't think he needs to do anything. This team has the talent to win Dennis needs to get his playoff strats down and approach this like a championship run. It's a new engine though so I expect this season talent and roster will trump everything till strategy catches up.
Cleveland Cavaliers

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Agree, this team seems to have all positions covered.

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Keep in mind we are switching engines. No idea how well my team gonna be in the new environment. Just because we won 63 with a really young this year, it doesn’t mean they gonna do well in 19 too.

CSL Champions Image 2028

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Post by Rizzo »

Too many players to test in the new engine. You'll never find the right strats or rotations! :lol:
Career Accolades:
- GM, Cleveland Cavaliers [2013-2018]
- GM, Brooklyn Nets [2018-2030, 2031-Present]
- 0 CSL Championships
- 0 Eastern Conference Championships
- 0 Coach of the Year Awards
- 0 GM of the Year Awards

Rizzo's Hall of Fame Players:
- oCSL Marcus Smart
- SG P.J. Hairston [2015 CSL Draft, Pick 1.16]
- C DeAndre Ayton [2022 CSL Draft, Pick 1.3]
- PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander [2025 CSL Draft, Pick 1.1]