League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Christmas Carol in Memphis

Write updates about your team or the league here.
Sharkn20
Senior Vice President

Christmas Carol in Memphis

Post by Sharkn20 »

Christmas time is approaching fast to the CSL and the streets of the Country are already decorated with motives, flags and snow representing the festivities, before going on the Christmas break we are going to have a quick look to our beloved Memphis Grizzlies. Since the last update we have gone 5-3 with wins over OKC, Dallas (twice), New York and Toronto, while losing against Utah, Sacramento and Atlanta, however this loss against Atlanta happened when GM Sharkn20 didn't remember to throw the export out there, after preparing a though encounter against the Hawks with a plan to stop Exum, well a loss is a loss, plenty to play with.

At present the Grizzlies are solidly playing in the #6 seed with the same loses than SA who played 2 games more and just one more loss than HOU who played 4 more games so far. Now is when the schedule ramps up, and is it will be clear if we are contenders to a playoff spot, or pretenders to a mid-draft pick. We shall see.

The Good
D# and crashing the boards, protecting the ball, easy concepts, fundamental basketball some people will call it, rather than lighting up the score board and play fast fantasy basketball, the Grizzlies are going back to the foundations of the sport. in the last 8 games Memphis allowed just 88 points per game, with an outlier (Hawks 115 points) where Sharkn20 didn't attach the upload, there is that, great D# and enough in offense to win games.

Playing hard and protecting the rim is another concept that Sharkn20 is passing on this Grizzlies, Green and Biyombo have been strong against opposite drives and sweeping balls in missed 3p shots, we said this already, but Biyombo is 3rd in the CSL averaging 11.6 rpg, terrific authority in Memphis low post.

The Bad
We haven't change a bit since the last update and we still struggling to cause turnovers, we are solid defensively and rebounding, but we can't steal balls for our lifes, and that will affect us when we play against teams with good rebounders where we can't gain extra possessions that way. We are currently the 3rd worst team in the CSL averaging just 3.3 spg, not good at all.

Consistency is also a bad point in the last 8 games, twice we fell under 35% shooting from the field as a team, including a horrible showing against Utah (32%), that is just not good enough if you want to remain high in the Standings at the end of the year, it would be nice if we have bad shooting against Top teams, so we lose and perform horribly, rather than losing games that we should be winning by choosing not showing up on the court.

The Ugly
Cap Management by the last Memphis GM, with salaries tied to Larkin (7M), Bogdan (5.6M) and Bojan (7.6M) we don't have the flexibility to add another piece that can really give us a jump of quality at this point, Larkin is an expiring contract, and while Bojan is giving some production as a #8 / #9 wing rotation player, that is not worth 7.6M. Bogdan better not even talk about him, Kempton and Zeller and playing really good while they are on the court, playing to their roles perfectly. Bogdan is straight under them in the DC, his shooting % is getting better, but he just can't crack the rotation now, what a waste of money.

Sharkn20
Senior Vice President

Re: Christmas Carol in Memphis

Post by Sharkn20 »

Finished!

Ramcus
CEO

Post by Ramcus »

I like the article, outlining how your team is doing overall. Your Grizzlies are way above expectations, but I half expect teams to be able to start game planning better later into the season. For now, you're doing great, but don't get settled down.
Stay Me7o Image
NOLA 2022-2030: 292-364
BRK 2030-2031: Interim GM/Coach | CSL Champion
LAC 2031-present

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Pm'ed. I gotchu with quality depth
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

Ramcus
CEO

Post by Ramcus »

Andrewu91 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:43 am Pm'ed. I gotchu with quality depth
stay away from him, he's going to rip you of your picks
Stay Me7o Image
NOLA 2022-2030: 292-364
BRK 2030-2031: Interim GM/Coach | CSL Champion
LAC 2031-present

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Ramcus wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:05 am
Andrewu91 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:43 am Pm'ed. I gotchu with quality depth
stay away from him, he's going to rip you of your picks
How are Justin Holiday and Klay doing for you? 7-1 last 8?

;)
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

This team has been playing very well, and has certainly exceeded a lot of expectations coming into this season. Keep up the good work!
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

hardenwithnod wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:56 pm This team has been playing very well, and has certainly exceeded a lot of expectations coming into this season. Keep up the good work!
+1

Well done so far. Will Middleton and Lavine be the future core tho?

Sharkn20
Senior Vice President

Post by Sharkn20 »

Flaming Homer wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:10 pm
hardenwithnod wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:56 pm This team has been playing very well, and has certainly exceeded a lot of expectations coming into this season. Keep up the good work!
+1

Well done so far. Will Middleton and Lavine be the future core tho?
They are in their primes and under contract, I don't see why not :D

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

True, they complement each other pretty good.
I always saw Lavine more as a 6th man with his defense deficits, but if he is scoring on a high level, there are ways to hide him.

Sharkn20
Senior Vice President

Post by Sharkn20 »

Flaming Homer wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:00 pm True, they complement each other pretty good.
I always saw Lavine more as a 6th man with his defense deficits, but if he is scoring on a high level, there are ways to hide him.
In the new engine it will be even easier to hide him defensively.

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

I love that you are keeping the defensive focus in Memphis. Grit and Grind is alive and well, and the last Memphis GM (andrei) would be pleased to see that defense is still #1. You've done well man.