League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Orlando Magic Season Preview Conference

Write updates about your team or the league here.
WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Orlando Magic Season Preview Conference

Post by WillyJakkz »

Orlando Magic PR Lead: "We would like to thank everyone for coming out to our Season Preview Conference! Thank you all in attendance. We'll bring Head Coach Jeff Van Gundy to the podium as well as the players along with Magic General Manager Willyjakkz. After Coach Van Gundy gives us some insight on the players we will open the floor to questioning."

JVG: "Thank you for that introduction. I'll just say we look forward to this season with a group of talented players and firstly I'd like to acknowledge the veterans that chose to sign with us such as Isaiah Thomas, Nikolai Vucevic, Reggie Jackson, and Ryan Anderson who will be very important to us as well as the younger guys like Seth Curry, Caris LeVert, Josh Hart who we acquired last season, and our own 2nd round pick Wes Iwundu. I'll be brief about the starters etc then we can get into the questions. Thank you..."
G Donovan Mitchell
JVG: "When we found out Donovan Mitchell was available during this past draft we decided to move our pick to get him and no doubt we have been thrilled with his Training Camp and preseason performance as well. He put up efficient stats while adjusting to his new role as the lead guard for us and feel he did an outstanding job of scoring and facilitating."
GF Andrew Wiggins
JVG: "Andrew has been the staple of the offense and has been rock solid as a lead on our defensive side of the ball. He can score from anywhere on the floor and we feel this will be another great season from him especially with the type of offense we will now play in effect leading to more uptempo scoring opportunities for him."
SF Josh Jackson
JVG: "Josh is the type of player who can go out there and defensively shut down the opposing wing and also get easy steals and layups on the break. He loves to press guys for the entirety of the game and he can also spot up and knock down 3's for us which is an integral part of what we do."
FC Derrick Favors
JVG: "Derrick is a powerhouse and workhorse for us. He's a very solid vet who goes out there and performs at a high level but doesn't disrupt the offense. He'll rebound, defend, block shots, and do all of the dirty work without a complaint and still get his numbers. We are very fortunate to have him back this season."
C Joel Embiid
JVG: "With our offense shifting we are now able to truly feature Joel even moreso than before and he has been great this preseason. He got more touches and was also able to score more efficiently and effectively with our new acquisitions. We expect him to go out there and show why he was the Number 1 pick from a "gaudy stat perspective" and why we acquired him and Andrew to lead us to a championship."
C Hassan Whiteside
JVG: "How could we say "No" to gaining an elite rebounder and shot blocker like Hassan? We feel he will be a huge determining factor on how our season plays out and we look forward to him being able to become an important part of what we do."
F Robert Covington
JVG: "Robert is the quintessential glue guy who can come in and facilitate our offense while also having a huge impact on the defensive side of the ball. He spreads the floor for us and is a do it all player who continues to be a very very important part of our club."
Orlando Magic PR Lead: "Thank you Jeff, we will now take questions...."

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF J Isaac
PF W Kessler | C M Williams

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Re: Orlando Magic Season Preview Conference

Post by Flaming Homer »

That is a nice collection of talent and I like most of the pick ups during the off-season.
The front court is definitely loaded and should be a hand full for every opponent.
Outside shooting will be again the question mark, I hope Mitchell can help here. I always liked him a lot and hope he can show that he is a stud. Maybe he can sit in the games vs. Atlanta? Load Management seems the hottest trend in nowadays NBA players anyway lol

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

First of all, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing Donovan Mitchell run the point here. If the CSL was real, this would be one of my 5 League Pass teams most likely, as this is an incredibly athletic group that looks like it would produce highlight reel after highlight reel.

Secondly, what in the hell did Josh Jackson do in the NBA that made 2K think he needed a Ruby card? Has he ever had a single game even worth a Moments Ruby card? Is this part of a special edition Kansas players card set, and even then, was Jackson a good enough Jayhawk to earn a Ruby card? I have so many questions.

Finally, JVG looks mighty fatigued already, and the season hasn't even started yet. Are we sure he'll survive the CSL season?

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

This team has a lot of talent on paper, but the fit is questionable here, as many have mentioned before outside shooting could be the Achilles's Heel for this team.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

Despite last season's disastrous trade, this team does have good talent. The top 6 is very talented. But as always, teams are going to be content letting your wings fire away from outside by zoning. Mitchell, Wiggins, Covington, and Jackson all *can* hit from outside but not consistently. This team is one zone buster away from being a top 6 team in the conference

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

Flaming Homer wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:52 pm That is a nice collection of talent and I like most of the pick ups during the off-season.
The front court is definitely loaded and should be a hand full for every opponent.
Outside shooting will be again the question mark, I hope Mitchell can help here. I always liked him a lot and hope he can show that he is a stud. Maybe he can sit in the games vs. Atlanta? Load Management seems the hottest trend in nowadays NBA players anyway lol
DM: "Uh, thanks... I've been working on my outside shot some this Training Camp because I knew playing with a guy like Joel and Derrick, and uhh now Hassan that me and the rest of the guys will get plenty of open looks. Hopefully we can knock 'em down... As far as rest that's up to the coach but I pretty much rested a whole season in Phoenix so I'm excited to play."

ORLANDO
MAGIC:

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

This question is for Hassan. You’ve been traded within the conference and now within the division. Are the games against Detroit and Atlanta going to mean anything extra for you?

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

Myles wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:45 pm First of all, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing Donovan Mitchell run the point here. If the CSL was real, this would be one of my 5 League Pass teams most likely, as this is an incredibly athletic group that looks like it would produce highlight reel after highlight reel.

Secondly, what in the hell did Josh Jackson do in the NBA that made 2K think he needed a Ruby card? Has he ever had a single game even worth a Moments Ruby card? Is this part of a special edition Kansas players card set, and even then, was Jackson a good enough Jayhawk to earn a Ruby card? I have so many questions.

Finally, JVG looks mighty fatigued already, and the season hasn't even started yet. Are we sure he'll survive the CSL season?
JVG: "Unsuccessful attempts at making the Playoffs will definitely fatigue and have a toll on someone.

ORLANDO
MAGIC:

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

hardenwithnod wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:07 pm This team has a lot of talent on paper, but the fit is questionable here, as many have mentioned before outside shooting could be the Achilles's Heel for this team.
RA: "I think myself and guys like Seth and Isaiah will be able to step in and help with that..."

ORLANDO
MAGIC:

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

KW wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:37 pm Despite last season's disastrous trade, this team does have good talent. The top 6 is very talented. But as always, teams are going to be content letting your wings fire away from outside by zoning. Mitchell, Wiggins, Covington, and Jackson all *can* hit from outside but not consistently. This team is one zone buster away from being a top 6 team in the conference
JVG: "If our goal is to be a "Top 6" team in the conference then we're definitely heading in the wrong direction..." (Covers mic) "who let this guy in...?"
Last edited by WillyJakkz on Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ORLANDO
MAGIC:

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Post by Rizzo »

Check your PMs Willy!
Career Accolades:
- GM, Cleveland Cavaliers [2013-2018]
- GM, Brooklyn Nets [2018-2030, 2031-Present]
- 0 CSL Championships
- 0 Eastern Conference Championships
- 0 Coach of the Year Awards
- 0 GM of the Year Awards

Rizzo's Hall of Fame Players:
- oCSL Marcus Smart
- SG P.J. Hairston [2015 CSL Draft, Pick 1.16]
- C DeAndre Ayton [2022 CSL Draft, Pick 1.3]
- PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander [2025 CSL Draft, Pick 1.1]

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

Myles wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:48 pm This question is for Hassan. You’ve been traded within the conference and now within the division. Are the games against Detroit and Atlanta going to mean anything extra for you?
HW: "No not all... Well maybe the first Atlanta game... I'm looking at their roster and they got rid of me for a guard and they ain't really got anybody in the post now so I'm gonna try to take advantage of that. After that I wish them the best I had a good time in ATL."

ORLANDO
MAGIC:

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Myles wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:45 pm First of all, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing Donovan Mitchell run the point here. If the CSL was real, this would be one of my 5 League Pass teams most likely, as this is an incredibly athletic group that looks like it would produce highlight reel after highlight reel.

Think based on the fact he has talent, but trouble with the law. And from Kansas, when he had some comparison's to Lebron.

If he gets his head right, he has the tools. Only a 3rd year player too
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

A Bledsoe away from saving the day and making the East super talented

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

Andrewu91 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:04 pm

Think based on the fact he has talent, but trouble with the law. And from Kansas, when he had some comparison's to Lebron.

Decided to google it, it’s a Moments card from his rookie year when he put up 36 points in March of 2018.

He got an almost identical Moments card in 2K19 a year later when he put up 35 points in the third to last game of the season. So I guess Jackson hasn’t been entirely useless in the NBA.

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Myles wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:14 pm
Andrewu91 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:04 pm

Decided to google it, it’s a Moments card from his rookie year when he put up 36 points in March of 2018.

He got an almost identical Moments card in 2K19 a year later when he put up 35 points in the third to last game of the season. So I guess Jackson hasn’t been entirely useless in the NBA.
Oh we are talking about 2k and Ruby card. Haven't played that in a few years lol.

But yeah makes sense