League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Free Agency System

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Re: Free Agency System

Post by WillyJakkz »

I like Sil's idea

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF K Middleton |
PF W Kessler | C M Williams

mgtr81
Chairman of the Board

Post by mgtr81 »

I appreciate the effort you put into this league, and I don't want to create any controversy, but I think a hybrid system is the worst scenario. All players should be treated the same way, so either let DDS handle Free Agency or implement a full PA system. Just my opinion. In addition to the low FGI's and the small ball craziness (as a consequence of the lack of true post players), I think this may be another step in the wrong direction. By the way, a bit off-topic, but is there anything on the horizon to prevent this guards-playing-center non-sense? I mean, most lost interest in the NLL with the FCP bug until that was solved, but I don't see many complaints about the small ball bug here.

Again, do not take this the wrong way, just expressing my opinion on the issues that are decreasing my interest in the league.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

I don't see a small ball craziness. Ever since harden at PF it barely happened at all again. Also I'm not worried about the fgi. The most of us remember the ocsl and what happened with high FGI. So either drive will be completely abonndened and we increase FGI or we try to keep it the way it is to have realistic FG%. Bdcsuse thats what it is mainly about. A good FG%. What I'm just wondering about is that it sounds like you understand the engine very well but still don't win much. For me that means either you are wrong and don't really know the engine well and what it's about, or that you are trying to lose to gather assets. Not meant in a bad way, its just somehow totally contrary for me thst it sounds like you know what to do but it doesn't result in wins..Just my worthless two cents though.
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

mgtr81
Chairman of the Board

Post by mgtr81 »

Dennis wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:15 am I don't see a small ball craziness. Ever since harden at PF it barely happened at all again. Also I'm not worried about the fgi. The most of us remember the ocsl and what happened with high FGI. So either drive will be completely abonndened and we increase FGI or we try to keep it the way it is to have realistic FG%. Bdcsuse thats what it is mainly about. A good FG%. What I'm just wondering about is that it sounds like you understand the engine very well but still don't win much. For me that means either you are wrong and don't really know the engine well and what it's about, or that you are trying to lose to gather assets. Not meant in a bad way, that's somehow totally contrary for me thst it sounds like you know what to do but it doesn't result in wins..Just my worthless two cents though.
Because you need a dominant guard, or at least close to All-Star level, to win here, due to all the above reasons, and I don't have anything remotely close to that. Could I have traded for one? Sure, but I chose to be patient. However, when we switch to either 18 or 19, it will be a different story. That's the way I'm building this team, with the switch in mind.

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Interesting opinion. But that's definitely wrong. If it would be true, we wouldn't have been successful - before Andrew steps in, yeah we only have been to the CF finals and the second round the past two years which isn't success but still like worlds better than what should be possible with a team like ours according to manu.

Look at skal, Gordon and mcl carrying us the past seasons. Neither of them fits your description. But I get your point that solid guards help improving.

CSL Champions Image 2028

mgtr81
Chairman of the Board

Post by mgtr81 »

We both know I'm not wrong. I don't have time now for a detailed explanation. McLemore is a guard, Skal is not a true big man and you have Fox as a key piece, etc ...

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Post by andrei »

I disagree that Bo Barnes should be treated the same as Kevin Durant, Manu. This is not true in real life nor should it be here.

I like the idea of going into the direction of PAs. They did not work before purely because people complained about PAs decisions. So as long we agree that PAs decisions are based on some sort of consistent logic and there are controls in place to prevent teams being treated differently, we should be fine.

I think the idea here is to make FA a more reasonable and fair experience for everybody, even if we won't have crazy randomness that pops up in real life sometimes I.e. David West signing with SA for 10 times less than his option with Indiana or AK47 declining 10m option to sign for 4m with a crap nets team.
Congrats to season 16 ASL champion SoulKey. For the Swarm!

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

mgtr81 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:29 am We both know I'm not wrong. I don't have time now for a detailed explanation. McLemore is a guard, Skal is not a true big man and you have Fox as a key piece, etc ...
Mclemore is a shooting only guard. Weren't your argument about high FGD and low FGI? I can't follow your arguments. Why is skal not a true big man? 8 of 11 shots in the paint on 58%. That's what comes to my mind if trying to find a big man. What makes someone a true big man for you?

Ps: good summarized by Andrei. As I don't think this something the admins rushed out the past few days, they will have a big set of rules for the PA or even an excel to make it fair. If it's again just based on personal opinion it would be a death sentence for PA if something goes weirdly, but I believe it's well prepared. Let's just see what happens. I fully trust the admins.

CSL Champions Image 2028

mgtr81
Chairman of the Board

Post by mgtr81 »

Big man = post up player.

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Skal is mainky posting up

CSL Champions Image 2028

mgtr81
Chairman of the Board

Post by mgtr81 »

Dennis wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:49 am Skal is mainky posting up
Doesn't he have 50 % drive preference?

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

I like Silo's idea. It sounds transparent.
But with my limited experience in sim league's it's hard to fully grasp.

I'm a little concerned that a PA system will close the door for small market an no playoff teams in free agency.
Which is more realistic, but in case of the Hawks I was planning to use trade/free agency rather then complete rebuild. However that shakes out, I may have to readjust. No problem, I can change curse if needed.

One other important aspect was brought up by BT though.
Are we sure we can handle "human" rejection better than just say: "screw stupid DDS"??

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Post by Rizzo »

I think Marcos' question of whether we can offer multiple max deals to the listed players would be huge. When using just the engine, that max offer cap space gets used up even when a player hasn't signed yet. For someone to, for example, offer a max to McLemore, Porter and Porzingis when they only have one max slot available would be great. Then, if one of them signs, the other offers become null and void.
Career Accolades:
- GM, Cleveland Cavaliers [2013-2018]
- GM, Brooklyn Nets [2018-2030, 2031-Present]
- 0 CSL Championships
- 0 Eastern Conference Championships
- 0 Coach of the Year Awards
- 0 GM of the Year Awards

Rizzo's Hall of Fame Players:
- oCSL Marcus Smart
- SG P.J. Hairston [2015 CSL Draft, Pick 1.16]
- C DeAndre Ayton [2022 CSL Draft, Pick 1.3]
- PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander [2025 CSL Draft, Pick 1.1]

wms02a
CEO

Post by wms02a »

Rizzo wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:30 pm I think Marcos' question of whether we can offer multiple max deals to the listed players would be huge. When using just the engine, that max offer cap space gets used up even when a player hasn't signed yet. For someone to, for example, offer a max to McLemore, Porter and Porzingis when they only have one max slot available would be great. Then, if one of them signs, the other offers become null and void.

I agree... would be huge...
Dallas Maverick GM

2024: San Antonio Spurs - Southwest Division Champion, GM of the Year, Coach of the Year
2025: San Antonio Spurs - Western Conference Champions

wms02a
CEO

Post by wms02a »

Are there other apps/social media y’all use to communicate??? Haven’t been on FB in about 8 yrs lol
Dallas Maverick GM

2024: San Antonio Spurs - Southwest Division Champion, GM of the Year, Coach of the Year
2025: San Antonio Spurs - Western Conference Champions

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

wms02a wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:35 pm Are there other apps/social media y’all use to communicate??? Haven’t been on FB in about 8 yrs lol

Just the FB chat I guess.. we’ve got several GMs there!
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Rizzo wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:30 pm I think Marcos' question of whether we can offer multiple max deals to the listed players would be huge. When using just the engine, that max offer cap space gets used up even when a player hasn't signed yet. For someone to, for example, offer a max to McLemore, Porter and Porzingis when they only have one max slot available would be great. Then, if one of them signs, the other offers become null and void.
Then all players should be handled the same way though. Which means you should be able to offer also for every in-game player the same time. Else it is treating players different and unfair to teams having players by PA handled. To be fair to everyone it is about handling every FA the same.

If you offer a max to zingis but have only one max slot available, you can't offer it to another player.

CSL Champions Image 2028

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

bt wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:13 am Given how certain GM's absolutely hate letting players walk in FA for nothing even if it's an overpay or not a good decision for the team, and their strong reactions to the game decisions if that does happen, I'm not sure they'll be able to handle a human taking a player away from them.

This is a risk.
Agreed. It didn't work before, but at the same time, the league had stronger personalities that complained about every, and I mean every little thing.

This is a risk I agree and don't like it. One offseason for only one team, should not dicate a whole new system, in my opinion. If it happened again, yes maybe reconsider, but it could have just been a fluke offseason and now we could have a few upset GM's.. if the worst happens.
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

First time Andrew and I have the same opinion? Definitely a risk. For example Mussie would have nearly left last season over a game decision. Imagine a PA would have decided to let lillard go.. he definitely would have left. And we are talking about mussie. One of the most calm in the league haha.

I think this decision is to stop something happening like last season with lillard. But thst means it was a decision for FAs staying with the mother team. As it wouldn't make sense now to let a player go unless a mother team really lowballs. Also it will result in mother teams paying a premium as PA won't have an eye on traits or favourite teams and demands to proof their decision is right for the FA. If the mother teams pay a high price player should stay and the agent can easily make it public why he decided thst way. Overall a selffullfilling prophecy unless there is a sheet in use or so.

CSL Champions Image 2028

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

I’m no fan of the hybrid system.
One of the things I appreciate most in everything is having the same rules apply for all players / GMs / whatever on certain situations. I’m no fan of the fact that we’ll have some chosen players, just by being the alleged best players available, at one system with different evaluation (in the way of treatment) than all the others as PAs can go through many things the game cannot.
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns