League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Choke City Podcast - Free Agency Fun

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Choke City Podcast - Free Agency Fun

Post by GreenBear »

And we're back to talk Free Agency (and one trade)!

Thanks to Myles for coming on the Podcast with me, always great to have him on!

And a big thanks to Chris and Tim for recommending Streamyard, which worked great.

Enjoy!

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFqiuXT ... e=youtu.be
mp3 - https://www.dropbox.com/s/0p31bnr2ibadl ... n.mp3?dl=0

TheTwoWallaces
Senior Vice President

Re: Choke City Podcast - Free Agency Fun

Post by TheTwoWallaces »

This was a good listen! I completely agree with GreenBear (idk real names lol)’s take that the more of these the better, and that they all compliment one another. I appreciate avoiding the FA process conversation and going directly to the player deals.

Only suggestion (for all the awesome podcast makers): I think a general rule of thumb for most successful podcasts is that they tend to talk slightly faster/actively avoid lingering on a topic once everything is said. Mastering the art of transitioning to a new topic quickly when you start to feel that most of the important parts of a topic are covered isn’t easy. But I think it’s what could take these to the next level of being even better content! Overall though great morning listen on my commute.
DETROIT BASKETBALL

Krejci | Campazzo
Porter | Notice | King
Kispert | Martin
Johnson | McDaniels
Wiseman | Stewart | Petrusev

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

I listened to bits and pieces, mainly about my Rockets. Didn't agree with everything but interesting takes. I do agree that "too many cooks in the kitchen" isn't a major issue here, but I believe that it can arise if you have too much similarity between your scorers.

KAT is primarily a post player but I want to stretch his range a bit, since he's a good shooter. Monk will launch threes till his arms fall off. And his arms will never fall off. Harden will slash and draw contact like nobody's business but also hit from all ranges. All three can shoot 60+ TS% on volume.. Kemba will shoot about equally everywhere and draw contact though less efficiently... And should likely see the biggest drop in shot attempts out of the top 4.

Surrounding them, Bender's defense, passing and shooting becomes super key. Mika and Looney in the frontcourt gain importance due to their versatile low usage nature and defensive focus. The talent level falls off quickly after that, but I'm interested in the revolving door of decent defensive wings/forwards I have in OG/Pointer/Kilpatrick/Sanders/Purvis.

A lot depends on Porter's development though. If his development is slow, he probably gets stashed and goes in and out of the rotation depending on the opponent, while I wait for his development, Kemba/Harden's declines, and the new engine. If he blows up like Monk did, he's playing good minutes, probably starting between KAT and Bender, and moving someone (idk who) to the bench.

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

Great being the headliner once again! Really good show.

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF K Middleton |
PF W Kessler | C M Williams

Cleasby
Senior Vice President

Post by Cleasby »

Finished the podcast on Friday. Really goof idea to talk a bit about the team impact of the moves which is something we maybe missed. Definitely agree that both podcasts support each other well.

Keep them coming! Maybe a season preview next ;)
2020-2021 CSL coach of the year

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Post by Jestor »

Cheick Diallo is mad his signing got snubbed

drumr
Chairman of the Board

Post by drumr »

Jestor wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:32 am Cheick Diallo is mad his signing got snubbed
You guys only talked about like 4 signing in yours lol.
Cleveland Cavaliers

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Good work hear.
Of course it was most interesting for me to hear the opinion of Myles and Doug about the Whiteside-GDP swap.
Doug hit the nail on the head, not much to add from me here.
We will have work to do to round out the roster, but I like where we are so far.

drumr
Chairman of the Board

Post by drumr »

Flaming Homer wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:39 pm Good work hear.
Of course it was most interesting for me to hear the opinion of Myles and Doug about the Whiteside-GDP swap.
We will have work to do to round out the roster, but I like where we are so far.
I had GDP and put a lot of time into his preference work and making him what he is now and the big thing I learned is he's not a full time PG for a championship roster imo. Zones wreck him at PG as he doesn't seem to have lead guard intangibles or the shooting. I honestly preferred him at SG or SF when I had Kyrie. I tried every offense with him too. He's that guy you put on the weakest guy 1-3 and let him exploit his matchup as he's a great plus/minus guy. You're a traditional PG and defensive C from being a contender imo.
Cleveland Cavaliers

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

Great listen, you two have great chemistry. Very informative and entertaining podcast.
Ball is Life.

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

drumr wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:51 pm
Flaming Homer wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:39 pm Good work hear.
I had GDP and put a lot of time into his preference work and making him what he is now and the big thing I learned is he's not a full time PG for a championship roster imo. Zones wreck him at PG as he doesn't seem to have lead guard intangibles or the shooting. I honestly preferred him at SG or SF when I had Kyrie. I tried every offense with him too. He's that guy you put on the weakest guy 1-3 and let him exploit his matchup as he's a great plus/minus guy. You're a traditional PG and defensive C from being a contender imo.
Good take, I plan to play him from 1-3. Depending of the match ups and how he fits with the other guys on the court. I'm not totally sold on him just yet, but as discussed in the cast, I was also not sure if Whiteside was this piece who can give me this missing piece to be a contender.
Biggest hole I see is C for now. But the first 20-25 games will show where we lack and I will look for trades around the deadline if we are not there were I want it.

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

TheTwoWallaces wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:46 pm This was a good listen! I completely agree with GreenBear (idk real names lol)’s take that the more of these the better, and that they all compliment one another. I appreciate avoiding the FA process conversation and going directly to the player deals.

Only suggestion (for all the awesome podcast makers): I think a general rule of thumb for most successful podcasts is that they tend to talk slightly faster/actively avoid lingering on a topic once everything is said. Mastering the art of transitioning to a new topic quickly when you start to feel that most of the important parts of a topic are covered isn’t easy. But I think it’s what could take these to the next level of being even better content! Overall though great morning listen on my commute.
Glad you enjoyed the listen! These podcasts are certainly a work in progress, so I certainly appreciate the constructive criticism. While re-listening to the podcast on Friday, I also noticed that I could maybe talk a little faster and work on transitions. I’ll try to work on that. That being said, a lot of successful podcasts that you probably listen to are scripted and/or have rehearsals, which I’m not going to do. That’s a lot of work for something that’s just for fun. If this were a legit podcast that I was trying to grow into something that eventually generated me money… then that’s a different conversation.

I can tell you that Myles only knew the overall topic of this podcast (free agency). He didn’t know which specific signings I was going to bring up, or what questions I might pose to him. And I had no idea what he would say or where the conversations/discussions would go. It’s a genuine/spontaneous conversation between 2 veteran GMs in the CSL and our take on how the league or various teams are impacted. The overall vibe I’m going for is a conversation that you might have with a friend at a pub over a couple of pints. I bring some talking points to make sure we can move to another topic when I think one topic has run its course, but for the most part I let the podcast run its course organically. You’re going to have some occasional tangents, but I think we did a pretty good job of making sure nothing got too far off-track for too long.

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Finally got a chance to listen to it, and I really enjoyed, glad these are back as they would do well along with Chris's podcast series. As for my team, I agree with you guys' assessments, and I probably will try to make a few more moves.
Big changes are coming in D.C.

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

KW wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:23 pm I listened to bits and pieces, mainly about my Rockets. Didn't agree with everything but interesting takes. I do agree that "too many cooks in the kitchen" isn't a major issue here, but I believe that it can arise if you have too much similarity between your scorers.

KAT is primarily a post player but I want to stretch his range a bit, since he's a good shooter. Monk will launch threes till his arms fall off. And his arms will never fall off. Harden will slash and draw contact like nobody's business but also hit from all ranges. All three can shoot 60+ TS% on volume.. Kemba will shoot about equally everywhere and draw contact though less efficiently... And should likely see the biggest drop in shot attempts out of the top 4.

Surrounding them, Bender's defense, passing and shooting becomes super key. Mika and Looney in the frontcourt gain importance due to their versatile low usage nature and defensive focus. The talent level falls off quickly after that, but I'm interested in the revolving door of decent defensive wings/forwards I have in OG/Pointer/Kilpatrick/Sanders/Purvis.

A lot depends on Porter's development though. If his development is slow, he probably gets stashed and goes in and out of the rotation depending on the opponent, while I wait for his development, Kemba/Harden's declines, and the new engine. If he blows up like Monk did, he's playing good minutes, probably starting between KAT and Bender, and moving someone (idk who) to the bench.
Yeah, I don’t think offense will be an issue with your team at all. I brought it up because I’ve seen it brought up in the forums, but as Myles said, having too many efficient, high volume scorers is not a bad thing with this engine. You don’t have to worry about the chemistry of alphas in this engine like you would in the NBA. You’ll be fine more than fine there. I think you’re a lock for a top 3 offense.

As for Porter, you say that now, but we’ll see as the season plays out. Your window to win is now, with Kemba and Harden being 33 as well as Kemba being a UFA after the season. Stashing Porter would be a luxury that only makes sense if you’re head and shoulders better than the rest of the league. Even if he has a great TC, I don’t see how he adds a ton of value to this team as currently constructed. His skillset is offensive-centric (which is not needed by this team and the value will be mitigated). Meanwhile, his defense is very limited. So maybe you play him a lot in the regular season, but I don’t see you playing him big minutes in the playoffs. And again, that’s a luxury, given the window you’ve chosen. If you lose in the conference finals or CSL finals with Porter being stashed, there will be a lot of critics

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

Jestor wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:32 am Cheick Diallo is mad his signing got snubbed
Haha I didn’t discuss many players that re-signed with their mother teams unless I thought they were especially interesting/noteworthy. Largely because we already know what they can do for their former teams (i.e. Exum, White, Austin, Smart, etc.). There’s not as much projection/discussion points. I did talk about a couple, but that mostly because of cap-related reasons (Cleveland, Sacramento) or because I wanted to talk about something related to my guest’s team.

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

Cleasby wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:47 pm Finished the podcast on Friday. Really goof idea to talk a bit about the team impact of the moves which is something we maybe missed. Definitely agree that both podcasts support each other well.

Keep them coming! Maybe a season preview next ;)
I would love to do one of those (and will definitely try). I have to complete the mandatory team preview first (mandatory written articles… ugh… come on Adam! ;) ) to ensure I get my scouts.

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

GreenBear wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:43 pm The overall vibe I’m going for is a conversation that you might have with a friend at a pub over a couple of pints.
I almost poured myself a glass of whiskey before we started, I think I might do that next time haha

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

That was brilliant. Flowed really well and you guys just work really well together.

So much covered though that it's hard to comment on any one area. I'll probably forget a fair few haha.

I prefer GDP over Whiteside. Yes the Hawks front court is lesser but I'm a big fan of a three pronged attack like I have with my post guys. I tried a few seasons back to do it with Payton and Westbrook but couldn't land that third guard.

Surprised me the Cavs giving Payton a max. As much as I love the dude, he was never a max guy in my opinion which ultimately lead to us trading him as good chance someone was going to do it. I guess they had to do it with the current team structure and maybe could have saved a few million but when you spend a ton, what's a few million hey.

Rockets are kind of an unknown to me. They could all mesh and absolutely rip through the league losing 10 games for the year or it just doesn't work because they're too offense heavy. Will be really interesting to watch and not all that enjoyable to play haha. I still like teams like Phoenix or Miami against them though.

Contracts were paid though. White, Austin, Solomon, Nurkic are ones that stand out as guys that ended up with 8-10 million contracts last time and now are all getting paid. Miami hit both of us and it worked but when contending, had to do it. Although I disagree with Myles a little in that he's similar to D'Angelo Russell. Russell can only score a little (19 per 36) where as Richard does that very efficiently (19 per 36 at 54%), grabs boards and defends surrounded by stat stealing talent.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

If I remember correctly, I was comparing Solomon to Russell not in terms of talent or impact, but in terms of how likely it could be to sign them away from their mother team.

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

Myles wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:19 am If I remember correctly, I was comparing Solomon to Russell not in terms of talent or impact, but in terms of how likely it could be to sign them away from their mother team.
Ah, I see. I was working with it on in the background so may have misheard :D
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027