League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Coach Fury Videocast 30 - [Jestor and Gary] Draft Picks 1-10 recap

Cleasby
Senior Vice President

Coach Fury Videocast 30 - [Jestor and Gary] Draft Picks 1-10 recap

Post by Cleasby »

Joined this time by Jestor and Gary
Items covered this episode
1. Draft picks 1-10 recap

Logo courtesy of RiotPunch

Episode link - https://youtu.be/5hNNQj9qhRY
2020-2021 CSL coach of the year

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Re: Coach Fury Videocast 30 - [Jestor and Gary] Draft Picks 1-10 recap

Post by blackice »

Wonderful listen and insight into this class and the top 10. As someone looking at it without a proverbial horse in the race I really enjoyed this podcast. Great work guys.
Ball is Life.

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Time will tell
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Thanks for having me on!
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

Great listen. And a lot of good points being made.

As for Shaq, he's obviously not perfect or he wouldn't have fallen to 9. He's not the best shooter, but calling him a bad shooter is just incorrect. From my scouts (I focused most of my scouts on the top PGs), IF he reaches his potentials, he'll have a 35 FG3 and 41-42 FGJ. So let's say he falls just short and has an FG3 of 34 and FGJ of 40. I can live with that, given the other things he can do at an elite level. He won't be a zone buster, but he won't kill me there either. Now if he busts entirely and falls well short of those (he's quite raw in FG3)... then that's another story. But you could say similar things about a lot of guys.

Outside of that and maybe his IQ (which I don't personally put much stock into, but I know some do), he should be dynamite if he can hit his potentials.

mgtr81
Chairman of the Board

Post by mgtr81 »

Great job guys. I know I made a very unpopular choice ... already said that in my pick article. :lol:

No need to justify my decision because I'm happy with it, but:

1. Porter's durability scared me off.
2. When you want a player, you don't risk by trading down.
3. I never reveal trade talks, but the kind of extra "assets" that were on offer were of no value, at least from my point of view. I also had many offers for the pick, but only two worth that pick (one while I was making the selection). I guess people look at my team's record and think they can make offers accordingly. ;)
ImageImageImageImageImage

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Post by Jestor »

Yep I made point 2 l

drumr
Chairman of the Board

Post by drumr »

I totally agree with point #2. When you want a guy and he's tops just take him.
Cleveland Cavaliers

mgtr81
Chairman of the Board

Post by mgtr81 »

Jestor wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:38 pm Yep I made point 2 l
Yes, I know. You also made a very good point about training camp.

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

mgtr81 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:55 pm Great job guys. I know I made a very unpopular choice ... already said that in my pick article. :lol:

3. I never reveal trade talks, but the kind of extra "assets" that were on offer were of no value, at least from my point of view. I also had many offers for the pick, but only two worth that pick (one while I was making the selection). I guess people look at my team's record and think they can make offers accordingly. ;)
Haha, I wasn’t trying to go after you, just stating my thoughts. You’re a very well knowledgeable GM, so I’m sure you have a plan for your madness. Brown could very well prove me wrong, and make me look like a idiot in a few years. Thanks for the feedback!
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

mgtr81
Chairman of the Board

Post by mgtr81 »

hardenwithnod wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:42 pm
mgtr81 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:55 pm Great job guys. I know I made a very unpopular choice ... already said that in my pick article. :lol:

Haha, I wasn’t trying to go after you, just stating my thoughts. You’re a very well knowledgeable GM, so I’m sure you have a plan for your madness. Brown could very well prove me wrong, and make me look like a idiot in a few years. Thanks for the feedback!
Yes, I know. I didn't take it that way. I was just commenting on your opinions. I have no problem with critics, that's what forums are for, as long as it's all constructive. I can perfectly understand why many people may not like that pick.

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

Nice podcast #zone9 again

And lol I guess I'll have to see if Tim is right about it being a lotto pick for a late pick swap...

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF D Bane
PF S Barnes| C M Williams

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

Good listen as always. It's what makes these leagues fun is the wide ranges of plusher evaluations we all have. I know IQ played a factor but was surprised one of Tim's reasonings for taking Musa over Harrison was the shooting when it's possible and probably likely that Harrison winds up as a much more efficient player. I wouldn't want either player shooting the 3 and while Musa is basically maxed at 3 already and Harrison has a ways to go, if they both reach their max it's only a 1 point difference. Harrison is a much much much better fgj shooter and in the post I would give Musa a slight advantage.

I dont think I would ever want Musa to leave the paint, to me he is best suited as a PF and I would be interested to test to see if he could have a similar impact as Austin has for Phoenix. I do think Musa can play minutes 1-4 but I feel his ideal position will likely be PF.
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Post by Jestor »

Depends on what your consideration of 3 point shooting is. I have Musa's exact current/potential 3 point shooting and it's good enough to me - especially with variance that will have some seasons bordering on elite.

I could see Musa eventually shifting to PF but it won't be until later in his career - he needs to develop first and then put on weight. We also need actual point guards.

drumr
Chairman of the Board

Post by drumr »

I'm looking forward to seeing his real ratings. I never got a good range despite scouting him quite a bit. Musa with a boost could be quite the player. Brown was the biggest shock to me. They need an elite pg so bad. Maybe they trade for one. .
Cleveland Cavaliers

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

Good listen and a lot will depend on the first TC and how these rookies come out swinging. I liked a lot of these top 10 picks and it fell pretty much how I envisioned (outside of Shaw dropping to 9). After looking at Gates in the game, I scouted him heavily so I had him narrowed down pretty good but I'm really excited to see him develop and put him in my rotation.

mgtr81
Chairman of the Board

Post by mgtr81 »

drumr wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:37 amBrown was the biggest shock to me. They need an elite pg so bad. Maybe they trade for one. .
Actually he's the one when developed ... 80-plus handling, almost 80 defense, 70-plus stealing, great at drawing fouls with 70-plus scoring, 70's IQ with great discipline plus his size ... he just needs to lose some weight ... and of course hope DDS19 didn't change significantly the development pattern.

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

mgtr81 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:22 pm
drumr wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:37 amBrown was the biggest shock to me. They need an elite pg so bad. Maybe they trade for one. .
Actually he's the one when developed ... 80-plus handling, almost 80 defense, 70-plus stealing, great at drawing fouls with 70-plus scoring, 70's IQ with great discipline plus his size ... he just needs to lose some weight ... and of course hope DDS19 didn't change significantly the development pattern.
That's the biggest if. I do believe he's a PG at 100% potential and I definitely thought about swinging on him if both of Gates and Porter were off the board .... but his development is a bigger question mark than maybe anyone ever drafted. I'm not sure anybody has ever been this raw