League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

CSL Radio - Middays with Jon and Andre (Premiere)

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

CSL Radio - Middays with Jon and Andre (Premiere)

Post by emplep7 »

Alright, so I'm usually not too involved with podcasts (and rightfully so), but an idea came to me one night of doing a podcast differently than we have in the past where it feels more like a Sports Radio Talk Show than a typical podcast. With that, CSL Radio was born.

The first program on CSL Radio is a Midday show with Jon (me) and Andre (Flaming Homer), but the first show is just me (sorry in advance). This premiere show follows the same terrestrial radio format that you would hear on Sports Talk Radio where the hosts are answering listener questions. These questions were provided by the GMs here and were chosen at random, but all of the questions here came from you guys.

The questions that were asked/answered are below:

CSL Radio Questions

1. Why is Kevin the way that he is?
2. Which German is your favorite: Dennis or Andre?
3. If we had a league-wide fantasy draft, who would you build your roster around? Luka or Ben?
4. What do you think Silo is like in real life?
5. The Clown show league – thoughts?
6. What was the best team in CSL history to never win a ring?
7. What CSL star had the most underwhelming career?
8. Why is TJ the way that he is?
9. All-time CSL starting 5?
10. Biggest draft busts in CSL history?
11. Is Andrew (NYK GM) in real life as cocky as he is in the CSL?
12. Who is the most underrated player in the CSL?
13. Who in your mind, in no order are the top 10 general Managers in the CSL?
14. Is Cameron Oliver the best 2nd round pick to be selected? If not, then who?
15. Do you feel this league sometimes treat trades too harshly in the trade discussion thread, thus it has led to fewer deals being made in recent seasons?

The link to the broadcast is below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8V-_CIYvUg

Enjoy!

Ocons
Chairman of the Board

Re: CSL Radio - Middays with Jon and Andre (Premiere)

Post by Ocons »

:lol: now you're going to make me watch/listen! Haha

I meant to send some questions too, damnit. Looks like you have a good bunch here, though. Should be a fun listen when I have time.
Clown.Show.League

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

We need Kevin to be exactly like that! That's key for the CSL to survive!
Love the Clown on thebanner idea! Go grab yourself a ring Kevin!

Dennis is indeed too polite these days.. He even messaged me when I came back apologising for anything, and I also apologised for what I could have done. Never thought that it would have happened but indeed it did.
Andre is so steady I can't even comment much, just a great guy overall, night in night out.

Luka, all the way. Don't be a homer Jon..

Some Detroit teams that didn't get the ring were indeed crazy good. But there were some fantastic lineups that failed to obtain a league through our history, and Detroit managed to get one ring after all...

Jabari and Philly really need someone to take real care of them. They never had a GM that actively pursuits upgrades, push for rings, anything like that, all Philly GMs have been guys who barely even comment, imagine improving the roster for a championship run.... But this team is talented enough to, with the right moves, compete for the ring, and Jabari is, together with Tatum and Luka, the best scorer in the league right now...

TJs biggest contribution indeed, bringing Doug in haha
He's a very nice dude, crazy inactive but really good guy.

PG: Kemba (can't argue)
SG: Harden (probably the best scorer to ever play in the CSL)
SF: George (one of the best 2-way players in league's history)
PF: Ben Simmons (best draft pick ever in CSL, at least until Luka fully develops)
C: AD (best player in the league, ever, IMO)
Blake didn't win with the Pacers, he won with the Nuggets!
I put there all the most successful players in the league, all of them led their teams to multiple finals or rings or whatever.

Jokic is indeed probably the biggest bust in CSL history, that draft was special, it's like Darko Milicic in 2003's NBA draft.
Smart is a good choice for underrated. I'd also mention MKG, he's won a ring everywhere he went..

Top-10 GMs is tough. TOUGH!
Me, Doug, Jon, Kyrus, Bt (those 5 have always been at the top every other year). Dennis also deserves recognition, he's very steady in Boston, Andre has improved every single under Atlanta.. There are several guys I could point out to the 3 remaining spots but it's hard to

I promise you once I have a team trades will be on the way up again!
Plus, I have to agree with Jon. Don't take comments too harshly, try to improve on that, and if you feel comfortable with the deal, so be it!
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

BTW love the format, some questions about the league + some personal questions + historical ones, that's indeed great!

cb4raptorscb4
Commissioner

Post by cb4raptorscb4 »

Good stuff Jon! I smiled like a little kid when you mentioned my name :lol:
Golden State Warriors
Kris Dunn | PJ Dozier | Ding Yanyuhang | Kevon Looney | Chimezie Metu
Devonte Graham | Nimrod Levi | Tariq Owens | Johnny Hamilton
'23: 34-48 (5-8 as GM)
'24: 40-42, 1st Round Exit
'25: 50-32, Championship Round Loss (4-3)
'26: 48-34, 1st Round Exit
'27: 44-38, Missed Playoffs
'28: 39-43, 1st Round Exit
'29: 57-25, Championship Round Loss (4-2)
'30: 48-34, Conference Finals Loss (4-1)

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Yeah, only philly people can relate. Unless you speak our language, I guess I come off cocky/confident. All good. Jon and I talk all the time. We get each other. Haha

And for the top 10 GM's, it's hard to list as they all have their faults. Most consistent is Doug and BT.

But I can say 5 years ago when I was being mocked and harassed, to come back and prove the doubters wrong and be quiet, had to make me the goat. Tom Brady of the csl.
I have a new team this year and it's going to take time and adjustment, like Tom in Tampa, but when GDP comes back and I move Markelle to 6th man, things should pick up.
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Love this new podcast, hopefully you can make this a series, as I think podcasts are always great to listen to! My favorite are the names you gave for each question hahaha.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

cb4raptorscb4
Commissioner

Post by cb4raptorscb4 »

Andrewu91 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:12 pm Yeah, only philly people can relate. Unless you speak our language, I guess I come off cocky/confident. All good. Jon and I talk all the time. We get each other. Haha

And for the top 10 GM's, it's hard to list as they all have their faults. Most consistent is Doug and BT.

But I can say 5 years ago when I was being mocked and harassed, to come back and prove the doubters wrong and be quiet, had to make me the goat. Tom Brady of the csl.
I have a new team this year and it's going to take time and adjustment, like Tom in Tampa, but when GDP comes back and I move Markelle to 6th man, things should pick up.
Yah Doug and Ryan (bt) are legit. It's great being in the same division as them :lol:
Golden State Warriors
Kris Dunn | PJ Dozier | Ding Yanyuhang | Kevon Looney | Chimezie Metu
Devonte Graham | Nimrod Levi | Tariq Owens | Johnny Hamilton
'23: 34-48 (5-8 as GM)
'24: 40-42, 1st Round Exit
'25: 50-32, Championship Round Loss (4-3)
'26: 48-34, 1st Round Exit
'27: 44-38, Missed Playoffs
'28: 39-43, 1st Round Exit
'29: 57-25, Championship Round Loss (4-2)
'30: 48-34, Conference Finals Loss (4-1)

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

cb4raptorscb4 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:33 pm
Andrewu91 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:12 pm Yeah, only philly people can relate. Unless you speak our language, I guess I come off cocky/confident. All good. Jon and I talk all the time. We get each other. Haha

Yah Doug and Ryan (bt) are legit. It's great being in the same division as them :lol:
Yeah man. Sorry it must be tough..

TheTwoWallaces
CEO

Post by TheTwoWallaces »

Great listen man.

Top 10 in a league with only 30 GMs is a bit much, but I think we all have a sense of the top 5, more or less.

It's fun to hear the alternative storylines -- greatest teams to never win, biggest draft busts, previous legends, etc.

Also, fun note, I find it funny to hear Musa already be considered a bust. I'll always remember that draft because that was my first trade: I agreed to trade the #3 pick (Musa) & an expiring contract for #6 and Mudiay. I got absolutely roasted -- but Michael Porter Jr fell to #6 and I wound up winning my first deal(MPJ + Mudiay > Musa). Anyway, just another one of the many trades in this league that were lambasted at the time only to turn out differently a few seasons later. Goes to show, never listen to the Trade Chatter!
DETROIT BASKETBALL

Krejci | Melton | Campazzo
Porter | Notice | King
Johnson | Kispert
McDaniels | Martin | Petrusev
Wiseman | Stewart

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

TheTwoWallaces wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:01 pm Great listen man.

Top 10 in a league with only 30 GMs is a bit much, but I think we all have a sense of the top 5, more or less.

It's fun to hear the alternative storylines -- greatest teams to never win, biggest draft busts, previous legends, etc.

Also, fun note, I find it funny to hear Musa already be considered a bust. I'll always remember that draft because that was my first trade: I agreed to trade the #3 pick (Musa) & an expiring contract for #6 and Mudiay. I got absolutely roasted -- but Michael Porter Jr fell to #6 and I wound up winning my first deal(MPJ + Mudiay > Musa). Anyway, just another one of the many trades in this league that were lambasted at the time only to turn out differently a few seasons later. Goes to show, never listen to the Trade Chatter!
I’d have a really hard time naming a top-5.. Honestly
Top 7 is easy for me, but top 5 becomes a little bit harder

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Great show Jon!!!

And man, I could not have said much to a lot of questions. I totally realized how "new" I'm still in this league. So much history ....

I agree with Marcos top 5 of GM's. After that you really have a whole bunch of veteran GM's who deserves to be mentioned. Goes way over 10.

I don't agree with Jokic as biggest bust. Surely drafted too high, but the one season I ha him, he was playing nice. Unfortunately didn't have the bird rights.

Topic trade and trade chatter. Vet GM's should indeed know by now how to ignore it. Like Lucas described, a lot of times the trade which gets blasted the most turn out as quite nice deals for the supposed "looser". Most of the trade outcomes are only known after a few years. So no reason to rip it apart.
Especially new GM's are not very encouraged to be active on the trade market, if they get blasted. If it looks odd a little hint and maybe a pm would be more helpful.

Stockton12
Chairman of the Board

Post by Stockton12 »

I loved this thank you ..can’t wait for the next one and hopefully u will have someone else with u

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Post by Rizzo »

Phenomenal listen! Jon, to do it all on your own, you knocked it out of the park! Great to know that TJ actually had a legit contribution to this league! :lol:
Career Accolades:
- GM, Cleveland Cavaliers [2013-2018]
- GM, Brooklyn Nets [2018-2030, 2031-Present]
- 0 CSL Championships
- 0 Eastern Conference Championships
- 0 Coach of the Year Awards
- 0 GM of the Year Awards

Rizzo's Hall of Fame Players:
- oCSL Marcus Smart
- SG P.J. Hairston [2015 CSL Draft, Pick 1.16]
- C DeAndre Ayton [2022 CSL Draft, Pick 1.3]
- PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander [2025 CSL Draft, Pick 1.1]

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

Stockton12 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:01 am I loved this thank you ..can’t wait for the next one and hopefully u will have someone else with u
That’s the plan now that the format has been set. We’ll see when the next one comes out who is available.

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

I finally had a chance to listen to this podcast and it did not disappoint! Great listen, Jon.

I thought it really funny that so many questions were about what certain GMs are like outside the CSL. Some GMs I know really well from conversations outside the CSL, and others I barely know at all. Some people prefer to keep to themselves or a small inner circle, and that's okay. To each their own.

Bledsoe over Kemba all day 8-)
Just kidding. In all reality, it's personal preference. I don't think you'd get a general consensus either way. Kemba was a little more of an alpha scorer, and he was a little better ball thief. Bledsoe was a more efficient scorer (with better range), and a better overall defender imo with a little better DEF and BLK rating. Talent-wise, I think they're neck and neck. Honestly, it probably depends on what the rest of the roster looks like. If you needed a lead-dog on offense, you'd probably lean Kemba. If you already had one, I think they would cut into each other's value a bit. The thing I loved so much about Bledsoe is that he would fit great on every single team. He could be successful as a #1 option on offense (he was on mine for his whole career), and he could also be successful as a #2 option on offense as he was in OKC. I firmly believe that's why he's aged better than Kemba. Contract aside, he's been very successful everywhere he's been (won 3 titles on 3 different teams). He was very important to Chicago winning it all last year.

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

GreenBear wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:09 pm I finally had a chance to listen to this podcast and it did not disappoint! Great listen, Jon.

I thought it really funny that so many questions were about what certain GMs are like outside the CSL. Some GMs I know really well from conversations outside the CSL, and others I barely know at all. Some people prefer to keep to themselves or a small inner circle, and that's okay. To each their own.

Bledsoe over Kemba all day 8-)
Just kidding. In all reality, it's personal preference. I don't think you'd get a general consensus either way. Kemba was a little more of an alpha scorer, and he was a little better ball thief. Bledsoe was a more efficient scorer (with better range), and a better overall defender imo with a little better DEF and BLK rating. Talent-wise, I think they're neck and neck. Honestly, it probably depends on what the rest of the roster looks like. If you needed a lead-dog on offense, you'd probably lean Kemba. If you already had one, I think they would cut into each other's value a bit. The thing I loved so much about Bledsoe is that he would fit great on every single team. He could be successful as a #1 option on offense (he was on mine for his whole career), and he could also be successful as a #2 option on offense as he was in OKC. I firmly believe that's why he's aged better than Kemba. Contract aside, he's been very successful everywhere he's been (won 3 titles on 3 different teams). He was very important to Chicago winning it all last year.
Yeah. Bledsoe in his prime had no weaknesses at all. He was a monster.

And regarding how people are like outside of the CSL, I used to be cocky when I was 24ish but I have grown and turn 30 in a few months. Shit I spent most of my 20's in the csl. Haha

The GM's that talk to me in general don't mind how I act. I'm a chill, relaxed dude. I put on a show and trolled on purpose in the beginning of my csl career. I'm a father and don't have time to play kid games anymore, even though it is tempting to troll still. 8-)

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

TheTwoWallaces wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:01 pm Great listen man.

I think Tim (jestor) got roasted after taking Musa 3rd though. It's been a couple years but I think a lot of us had Musa around 10th or later on our board.
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

Finally had a chance to listen. But I must say, I need those hard takes that Philly is known for. This was far too nice of a pod. :lol:

Always enjoy listening to pods and I enjoyed this one a lot.

I think deep down you know that all of your teams that lost in the finals would only have been 4th or 5th seed in the West. You just got lucky being in the Leastern Conference. Haha

My all time starting 5 would be

PG: Harden (since harden mostly played pg) then Wall
SG: George hands down
SF: Okaro White, will go down as the Bill Russell of the league. Every team he has gone to has become an instant contender and each team took a step back once they traded him. Lebrons defense was just too bad to be considered. A sacrilege what prior gms did or didnt do for him.
PF: Blake Griffin
C: Anthony Davis

I remember the hate I received when I took Marcus Smart over Andrew Wiggins way back in day.

I think the trade banter is good, keeps the league interesting. No one should ever take any of it personally.

Again, nice listen and I'm looking forward to the next one!
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done