League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

CSL StatStuff: Cost Per Win

Moderator: andrei

andrei
Chairman of the Board

CSL StatStuff: Cost Per Win

Post by andrei »

Spurs GM wms02a may have a weird nickname, but he is running one of the most dollar efficient organisations in the league

There was a game a few sims ago where the Utah Jazz visited my Memphis Grizzlies. If we look at the starting lineups, it should be quite obvious who is going to win the game.

Utah Jazz
PG Jeremy Lin
SG Dante Exum
SF Sam Dekker
PF Aaron Gordon
C Roy Hibbert

Memphis Grizzlies
PG Patrick Beverley
SG Jonathon Simmons
SF Jae Crowder
PF Jordan Mickey
C Ian Mahinmi

Furthermore, the combined salaries of the starting units are $58.4M for the Jazz and $15.5M for the Grizzlies. Utah Jazz GM Ocons is clearly making some good investment with his virtual dollars. But is this investment paying off?

The result of the game was a, perhaps quite unpredictable, 88-98 win by the Memphis Grizzlies.

At CSL StatStuff, we are all about asking questions. Looking at the above, we got curious as to the salaries of every team vs the wins that teams produce.

There is a metric occasionally used in the NBA: Cost per Win. It is a simple calculation with total team salary divided by wins. This is usually done at the end of the season, but since we are curious now, we decided to enhance the formula a little bit to show where each team is in terms of Cost Per Win at this point in the season.

Formula: Total Salary/82*Games Played/Wins=Cost Per Win

After inputting the data into a spreadsheet, here is what we get:

We got 5 teams in CSL that are spending less than $1.5M per win with the mighty Sacramento Kings not only dominating the league, but they are spending the least amount of cash per win while doing it. The already mentioned Spurs may be at .500 but their payroll is by far the tiniest in the league at just over $48M. Their total payroll is less than most of the team's starting lineup costs, yet they are still winning some games.

On the other side of the spectrum, there are team that are spending more than twice the amount of cash per win than the Kings. The already mentoned Utah Jazz spend just over $2M per win and it only gets worse. Atlanta Hawks' budget is relatively small at $62.3M (27th in the league) but they are not using it to win anything. Even worse, the Golden State Warriors have the 16th highest payroll in CSL at $74.6M, yet it got them only 3 wins so far in 26 tries. GM Cyrisnyte has his hands full with this team.
Congrats to season 16 ASL champion SoulKey. For the Swarm!

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Re: CSL StatStuff: Cost Per Win

Post by OneNole »

Hard to get an accurate feel for this as some teams financials changed dramatically since day 30 when teams already had several wins. Like for us, we added 11 million in salary on day 30 and are 7-2 (7 home games) in that span. Irregardless, interesting report.
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done

Cyrisnyte
General Manager

Post by Cyrisnyte »

Yeah...we are not a very cost effective team. It's crazy to think teams are doing so well with such little payroll per win.
Harrison -- Young --- ZDK --- AA --- WCJ
Duval -- O'Neale -- Okeke -- Reid -- N'Diaye

wms02a
CEO

Post by wms02a »

My name is the email address I got in college. I just continue to use it today bc I just began to like it. My real name
Is billy.

If I had a team owner he would be real happy as we would Be a very profitable team. Hopefully this offseason I can use my cap to acquire more talent and begin to be very competitive.
Dallas Maverick GM

2024: San Antonio Spurs - Southwest Division Champion, GM of the Year, Coach of the Year
2025: San Antonio Spurs - Western Conference Champions

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

Very very interesting and informative report.

We didn't make any moves and currently stand at 11th with Paul George and Brook Lopez both missing 2 games each and injured for 1 each as well which also play a role in cost per win (though we should've beaten LAL).

And yeah MEM keeps on being a successfully run franchise with less talent yet win strictly on Heart 'N Hustle, great job!

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF K Middleton |
PF W Kessler | C M Williams

lakeshowak7
CEO

Post by lakeshowak7 »

Who cares about busting the hard cap when you're still a cost-effective team?

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Cool stuff, as this is an interesting way to see how a team is using its payroll. Looks like we are doing an alright job.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

Sun Scorched
CSL Champ 2016

Post by Sun Scorched »

Yeah, everyone got themselves hot and bothered for certain RFAs, and bt snuck away with Payton, Solomon and Nurkic on awesome contracts. That's to say nothing of Porter. Though McLemore is a bit overpaid.

We'll done all - super fun seeing how finances are/aren't correlated.

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

It really does depend who targets who. We nearly lost McLemore and were forced to pay him but got it back this offseason I guess. Although, he started the season sub 40% and is now shooting 47% and over 50% from three. I think the contract is fine.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

Sun Scorched wrote:Yeah, everyone got themselves hot and bothered for certain RFAs, and bt snuck away with Payton, Solomon and Nurkic on awesome contracts. That's to say nothing of Porter. Though McLemore is a bit overpaid.

bt wrote:It really does depend who targets who. We nearly lost McLemore and were forced to pay him but got it back this offseason I guess. Although, he started the season sub 40% and is now shooting 47% and over 50% from three. I think the contract is fine.
I can't say shit about that McLemore contract anymore, he put up 41 on us :lol:

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF K Middleton |
PF W Kessler | C M Williams

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Post by Rizzo »

I have a feeling the cost per win for the Nets is going to be going up pretty soon... ;)
Career Accolades:
- GM, Cleveland Cavaliers [2013-2018]
- GM, Brooklyn Nets [2018-2030, 2031-Present]
- 0 CSL Championships
- 0 Eastern Conference Championships
- 0 Coach of the Year Awards
- 0 GM of the Year Awards

Rizzo's Hall of Fame Players:
- oCSL Marcus Smart
- SG P.J. Hairston [2015 CSL Draft, Pick 1.16]
- C DeAndre Ayton [2022 CSL Draft, Pick 1.3]
- PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander [2025 CSL Draft, Pick 1.1]

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Post by andrei »

Sun Scorched wrote:Yeah, everyone got themselves hot and bothered for certain RFAs, and bt snuck away with Payton, Solomon and Nurkic on awesome contracts. That's to say nothing of Porter. Though McLemore is a bit overpaid.

Well call yourselves the Pioneers of Restricted Free Agency if you like. From now on, every RFA will be on cheap deals so it's gonna balance out in a few seasons.
Congrats to season 16 ASL champion SoulKey. For the Swarm!

Ocons
Chairman of the Board

Post by Ocons »

Interesting stuff. Certainly doesn't help when we've got about $15MM into players who aren't really getting any time. Not that we're super deep but certain spots are limited or just saturated with skills needed, or not.

This looked a little better for us a few sims ago. We've lost 4 of the last 5.
Clown.Show.League

Sun Scorched
CSL Champ 2016

Post by Sun Scorched »

andrei wrote:

Well call yourselves the Pioneers of Restricted Free Agency if you like. From now on, every RFA will be on cheap deals so it's gonna balance out in a few seasons.
That's true, I think the lack of realism associated with spending fake money in-game has led to some pretty bloated payrolls for uncompetitive teams, teams you'd normally expect to use expirings to gain assets and/or steal away RFA/UFA talent.

Will be interesting to see where the league is at in a few years.