League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Spurs with a Tough Decision to Make

wms02a
CEO

Spurs with a Tough Decision to Make

Post by wms02a »

San Antonio: After a magical playoff run, the San Antonio Spurs are now in the thick of the Off-Season. With the recent news that Jordan Bell has a near max contract in front of him, the San Antonio Spurs have already informed Bell's agent that they would not match a near max offer.

Looking into the future, the Spurs have their star duo backcourt tandem of FranyN's and ScaryTerry's contracts expire next offseason. What is known it is the front office's priority to ensure both are Spurs long-term. When asked for a comment about Bell's contract, Spurs GM Billy Smith simply said, " We do not speculate on rumors, and are in active conversations with Bell's agent"

After matching Davis Bertans's near max offer sheet from the Indiana Pacers, the front office was prepared to make decisions to ensure long-term financial stability while remaining one of the top Western Conference Teams.
Dallas Maverick GM

2024: San Antonio Spurs - Southwest Division Champion, GM of the Year, Coach of the Year
2025: San Antonio Spurs - Western Conference Champions

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Re: Spurs with a Tough Decision to Make

Post by Dennis »

That’s the type of talent you will acquire with maxes offered to RFA. Tough to have a second FA of that level that gets targeted in FA just like Bertans last season
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

Man, it's truly a difficult position to be in. I know you love Bell after talking to you last season so it's no easy choice either way. Bell combination of defense + playmaing is interesting for a big.
Ball is Life.

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Post by andrei »

To me it's not tough at all - keep him if you feel like it and can afford from hard cap perspective. Worst case scenario you trade him later on for some expiring deal and a pick.
Congrats to season 16 ASL champion SoulKey. For the Swarm!

wms02a
CEO

Post by wms02a »

Dennis wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:11 pm That’s the type of talent you will acquire with maxes offered to RFA. Tough to have a second FA of that level that gets targeted in FA just like Bertans last season
It hurt at first when i brought bertans back, but I think he will perform to near the level of his contract. It might not be flashy #'s but he is one of the most efficient volume three point shooters in the league which will always come at a premium price.
Dallas Maverick GM

2024: San Antonio Spurs - Southwest Division Champion, GM of the Year, Coach of the Year

wms02a
CEO

Post by wms02a »

andrei wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:16 pm To me it's not tough at all - keep him if you feel like it and can afford from hard cap perspective. Worst case scenario you trade him later on for some expiring deal and a pick.
Maybe... Ill wait and see the final offer sheet..... No matter what.. i will take all 48 hrs to make a decision
Dallas Maverick GM

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

wms02a wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:18 pm
andrei wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:16 pm To me it's not tough at all - keep him if you feel like it and can afford from hard cap perspective. Worst case scenario you trade him later on for some expiring deal and a pick.
Maybe... Ill wait and see the final offer sheet..... No matter what.. i will take all 48 hrs to make a decision
Me too, just wondering what that means for the team offering.

Edit: myles just answered. Makes sense and sounds good.
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

Always a tough decision and I don't know if it helps any but I've never regretted letting a player walk when they received a big offer but the odd time have regretted matching a guy or offering more to keep them.

Depends on the age profile yes but like Andrei said above, it really just comes down to if you feel like you can afford him and it won't impact you negatively regarding future plans, you do it. If you see issues down the line, you maybe don't.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

cb4raptorscb4
Commissioner

Post by cb4raptorscb4 »

Man, that's a tough one! Bell is a good versatile player who can put up stats across the board, but max?
Golden State Warriors
Kris Dunn | PJ Dozier | Ding Yanyuhang | Kevon Looney | Chimezie Metu
Devonte Graham | Nimrod Levi | Tariq Owens | Johnny Hamilton
'23: 34-48 (5-8 as GM)
'24: 40-42, 1st Round Exit
'25: 50-32, Championship Round Loss (4-3)
'26: 48-34, 1st Round Exit
'27: 44-38, Missed Playoffs
'28: 39-43, 1st Round Exit
'29: 57-25, Championship Round Loss (4-2)
'30: 48-34, Conference Finals Loss (4-1)

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Post by Rizzo »

If you think he’s worth the contract, match and figure out the cap later on. If not, let him go and make the necessary moves to round out your roster. This is from the GM that watched Layman and D’Angelo Russell get maxed and let them walk for nothing while also matching big contracts for both Pascal Siakam and Myles Turner.
Career Accolades:
- GM, Cleveland Cavaliers [2013-2018]
- GM, Brooklyn Nets [2018-2030, 2031-Present]
- 0 CSL Championships
- 0 Eastern Conference Championships
- 0 Coach of the Year Awards
- 0 GM of the Year Awards

Rizzo's Hall of Fame Players:
- oCSL Marcus Smart
- SG P.J. Hairston [2015 CSL Draft, Pick 1.16]
- C DeAndre Ayton [2022 CSL Draft, Pick 1.3]
- PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander [2025 CSL Draft, Pick 1.1]