League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

New GM buddy system

Cleasby
Senior Vice President

New GM buddy system

Post by Cleasby »

I would like to propose a buddy system for new GMs

This would be when a new GM is hired the admin team have a selection of veteran GMs available to become that newbies buddy. These guys will just help them with navigation of the league and help provide a unbiased view on possible trade offers. To avoid new GMs coming in and being taken advantage of.

Of course the buddy GM can remain private between the new GM and the veteran selected and the admins can picks GMs who they feel are best suited to this kind of role to help new players.

I think the pros are:
- we become a more friendly community to new joiners and they have a go to person of they need help and advice.

-Also it will stop those GMs potentially coming destroying a franchise through trades or inactivity and then the league dropping them after 2-3 months.

- as a league we can get first hand experience of the GM is active or not right away as someone will be in contact with them quite regularly.

Things to think about
- the GMs need to be the right veterans. Some would take advantage of the situation and get lopsided deals.

- we are a community and that is what makes this league so great. We would need to be clear with new GMs that it's not necessarily babysitting but just helping guide them through the first few months.
2020-2021 CSL coach of the year

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Re: New GM buddy system

Post by Dennis »

Well, that won't help if GMs don't want to get some feedback. I mean, look, we all vets are talking potential trades with other vets, I think new joiner somehow feel like they get overturned if they do and want to make all decisions on their own. Whyever.

Also I have the feeling New guys open to a buddy would ask for advice anyway. Like Marcus for example does and Indiana apparently doesn't. So I don't know if it helps if a new one gets assigned a buddy instead of looking for one on his own.

Ps: I think you are doing some GMs dirty here. If assigned as a buddy no one would use it as advantage.
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

I like the idea with minor tweaks that the buddy gm obviously cant trade with them and that the vet gm okays the trade. Obviously, the admins would select a "buddy" that the league would respect and know would not be overly stringent on the rookie.
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

It’s a great idea but a harder-than-you-think one to apply
I mean new GMs usually have strong opinions and want to follow their guts. If the GM isn’t willing to listen to his buddy by any means it’s worthless, unfortunately.
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

I like the idea. It really helps to talk to GM like Jon, Myles, Doug or Ryan. Could make the start much smoother.
You will probably have new GM who are not a fan of this, but that are imo the highedt risk of quitting quick.
If someone is serious he should at least be open to some help in the beginning.
If they dont want a buddy, prohibit to trade a 1st in the first sesaon.
Last edited by Flaming Homer on Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

Hasn't this been done to death before with the general consensus always being, simmer decides or sends new GM trades to a few GMs for input?
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

Cleasby
Senior Vice President

Post by Cleasby »

I also want to add the community aspect I think is key here. Fine if a new GM ignores advice and wants to make the deal anyway but the important point is that with a buddy GM we will at least know if they are active etc.

We have so many new GMs who come in and are active for a week disappear and then 2 months later we finally get rid of them. This way we have a veteran GM who should hopefully be able to help them make the transition in the league welcome them in and provide a view on cultural fit etc.

Cleasby
Senior Vice President

Post by Cleasby »

bt wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:05 pm Hasn't this been done to death before with the general consensus always being, simmer decides or sends new GM trades to a few GMs for input?
Yeah that's not the main point here though the main point is a veteran GM helping the new rookie GM out with advice and seeing how they fit and making sure they remain active for the first few months etc.

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Post by Rizzo »

I like the idea but at the end of the day the new GM is going to do whatever he/she feels is right for their franchise.
Career Accolades:
- GM, Cleveland Cavaliers [2013-2018]
- GM, Brooklyn Nets [2018-2030, 2031-Present]
- 0 CSL Championships
- 0 Eastern Conference Championships
- 0 Coach of the Year Awards
- 0 GM of the Year Awards

Rizzo's Hall of Fame Players:
- oCSL Marcus Smart
- SG P.J. Hairston [2015 CSL Draft, Pick 1.16]
- C DeAndre Ayton [2022 CSL Draft, Pick 1.3]
- PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander [2025 CSL Draft, Pick 1.1]

Cleasby
Senior Vice President

Post by Cleasby »

I agree a GM is going to do what he wants but it does not hurt to have a vet GM show them the ropes and check they are fitting in well and are active for a period of time.

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Need a Buddi?

CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

Cleasby wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:09 pm
bt wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:05 pm Hasn't this been done to death before with the general consensus always being, simmer decides or sends new GM trades to a few GMs for input?
Yeah that's not the main point here though the main point is a veteran GM helping the new rookie GM out with advice and seeing how they fit and making sure they remain active for the first few months etc.
Ah, you mean just in general and not about trades because if it's just about trades, veteran GMs make questionable deals too as 30 GMs and there would be 30 different opinions.

If it's just in general, teaching a new guy the ropes, I guess it could be an option.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

OneNole wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:49 am I like the idea with minor tweaks that the buddy gm obviously cant trade with them and that the vet gm okays the trade. Obviously, the admins would select a "buddy" that the league would respect and know would not be overly stringent on the rookie.
What I was trying to accomplish. Not sure if this idea stemmed from my assistant, but I do like the proposal by Chris.
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

drumr
Chairman of the Board

Post by drumr »

I like the community aspect. I've barely seen some of the new guys.
Last edited by drumr on Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cleveland Cavaliers

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

The new guys who have stuck around utilize a buddy system already so I’m definitely a fan. I tell each new GM to make sure they have 1-2 vet GMs to ask for advice (Indy and NOP both do this for the most part which is why I think they’re great additions). The GMs who try to do this on their own usually don’t last long or make some poor trades.

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Post by Rizzo »

Marcus (NOP) is so active in the chat and I'm confident he knows to reach out to the veterans. Indy has done a great job building his team in a specific way - and I also know he's getting advice from others - so I have no problem with him putting his stamp on that franchise. Two absolutely fantastic additions!
Career Accolades:
- GM, Cleveland Cavaliers [2013-2018]
- GM, Brooklyn Nets [2018-2030, 2031-Present]
- 0 CSL Championships
- 0 Eastern Conference Championships
- 0 Coach of the Year Awards
- 0 GM of the Year Awards

Rizzo's Hall of Fame Players:
- oCSL Marcus Smart
- SG P.J. Hairston [2015 CSL Draft, Pick 1.16]
- C DeAndre Ayton [2022 CSL Draft, Pick 1.3]
- PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander [2025 CSL Draft, Pick 1.1]

Cleasby
Senior Vice President

Post by Cleasby »

emplep7 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:15 pm The new guys who have stuck around utilize a buddy system already so I’m definitely a fan. I tell each new GM to make sure they have 1-2 vet GMs to ask for advice (Indy and NOP both do this for the most part which is why I think they’re great additions). The GMs who try to do this on their own usually don’t last long or make some poor trades.
Exactly my point. But for those who are new GMs who do not or are unsure let's just make it official ;)

Ramcus
CEO

Post by Ramcus »

Rizzo wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:42 pm Marcus (NOP) is so active in the chat and I'm confident he knows to reach out to the veterans
Thank you, thank you,. I appreciate the praise.
Stay Me7o Image
NOLA 2022-2030: 292-364
BRK 2030-2031: Interim GM/Coach | CSL Champion
LAC 2031-present

Dylan
Senior Vice President

Post by Dylan »

I do think, in light of recent events in the league, that a slightly more formal buddy system is a good idea. I think a new GM with no experience should be paired up with a GM hand picked by the admins just for at least the first half season or so. It will help eliminate these deals gone wrong and the mildly toxic discussions/arguments that take place because of them.

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Dylan wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:48 pm I do think, in light of recent events in the league, that a slightly more formal buddy system is a good idea. I think a new GM with no experience should be paired up with a GM hand picked by the admins just for at least the first half season or so. It will help eliminate these deals gone wrong and the mildly toxic discussions/arguments that take place because of them.
I think so too