League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

trade committee?

is it time for a 3 member trade committee to protect against these horrible trades?

Yes
42%
Noafter
58%

Total votes: 12

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

trade committee?

Post by OneNole »

After the recent NY debacle is it time for a trade committee?
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done

lakeshowak7
CEO

Re: trade committee?

Post by lakeshowak7 »

Nah. We didn't need one when Justin Anderson was traded for three top 10 picks.

Quit driving an agenda because you can't make a deal.

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

No. The teams agreed on a trade. He's not trading Griffin for like Kelly Olynyk or something that truly upsets the balance of the league. Move on.

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Post by andrei »

Had this already. They just rejected every single trade so no point. Commish's have the final say and three of them can discuss and ask the trade to be reworked or reject it outright.
Congrats to season 16 ASL champion SoulKey. For the Swarm!

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Post by andrei »

lakeshowak7 wrote:Nah. We didn't need one when Justin Anderson was traded for three top 10 picks.

Totally agree. That trade would not go through
Congrats to season 16 ASL champion SoulKey. For the Swarm!

Mattybriand
CEO

Post by Mattybriand »

lakeshowak7 wrote:Nah. We didn't need one when Justin Anderson was traded for three top 10 picks.

+1
George DePaula|Damien Inglis|Draymond Green|Karl Anthony-Towns|Nikola Jokić

8timechamp
Senior Vice President

Post by 8timechamp »

I say yes, but only to members that don't have a certain amount of posts, or haven't been here long enough.
I've had a trade committee in past leagues.

Here's my proposal:
There's a trade committee for new members, or members with a low post count, or have not been here long enough. Any trade they make, will be reviewed by trusted and unbiased mods.
Because let's be honest, you have a new GM come and and every other gm are hungry animals trying to trade for the teams top player.

8timechamp
Senior Vice President

Post by 8timechamp »

I didn't know it was 2020 yet :?

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

8timechamp wrote:I say yes, but only to members that don't have a certain amount of posts, or haven't been here long enough.
I've had a trade committee in past leagues.

Here's my proposal:
There's a trade committee for new members, or members with a low post count, or have not been here long enough. Any trade they make, will be reviewed by trusted and unbiased mods.
Because let's be honest, you have a new GM come and and every other gm are hungry animals trying to trade for the teams top player.
First time I like what 0timechamp says.
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

andrei wrote:

Dont make dumb comments you two. Im not tbe one trading a top 5 player. I didnt realize that the picks I received were guaranteed stars.

Mattybriand
CEO

Post by Mattybriand »

Dumb thread
George DePaula|Damien Inglis|Draymond Green|Karl Anthony-Towns|Nikola Jokić

lakeshowak7
CEO

Post by lakeshowak7 »

OneNole wrote:
andrei wrote:

Dont make dumb comments you two. Im not tbe one trading a top 5 player. I didnt realize that the picks I received were guaranteed stars.
You literally just said in the Facebook chat you'd be fine with the trade if the Knicks didn't include their first. Now the ones you acquired don't hold value so that it fits your post's agenda? Try harder please.

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

Of course they hold value. But find me a pick that has yielded a superstar recently? Not just a superstar but a undisputed top 5 player.

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

Absolute trash trade and everyone knows it. Congrats on taking advantage of an inexperienced GM. Kudos to you.

That said, I'm not a fan of a committee.

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Yeah what Doug said. It is all about how the longer established GMs behave, a trade committee didnt work before and wont work in the future. If you have someone taking advantage of a new guy you can't do much against it.
A committee would stop guys from joining the league.

CSL Champions Image 2028

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

GreenBear wrote:Absolute trash trade and everyone knows it. Congrats on taking advantage of an inexperienced GM. Kudos to you.

That said, I'm not a fan of a committee.
Respectfully, I have to disagree. If your point is that it's an absolute trash trade and taking advantage of an inexperienced GM isn't something that is worthy of respect, I understand. Personally I look for deals with any GM and don't care how long they've been around. My job as a GM is to do my due diligence and try and better my team, regardless. Do I target new GM's? I don't think so, no. I usually look at all rosters and try and see what would make sense for both sides. Anyway that comment wasn't directed at me so I digress.

But your next point is that you don't want a committee. I'm not sure I'd go as far as to say there's a contradiction here, but Doug, if your initial point is that an inexperienced GM was taken advantage of and there is a level of unfairness in play, surely we should implement a system (be it a committee or something else) to protect newer GM's.

If it's the committee you're against and not the underlying premise that newer GM's should be protected to a degree then I understand and this is a moot point. Maybe pair new GM's with a veteran GM who has the ability to veto trades on behalf of their partner for a certain time frame? I'm not sure.

Anyway just my 2 cents.
Ball is Life.

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Post by Rizzo »

I wouldn't say we need a trade committee that would veto any deal but maybe for a GM's first season in the league, we have a committee of three that the new GM has to run their trade by. The committee would each respond with their own thoughts on the deal to make sure the new GM has an idea of what the veterans around the league think about the deal. The new GM would be able to explain their rationale to the committee and the committee could discuss further moves to help the current deal or future moves to aid their process.
Career Accolades:
- GM, Cleveland Cavaliers [2013-2018]
- GM, Brooklyn Nets [2018-2030, 2031-Present]
- 0 CSL Championships
- 0 Eastern Conference Championships
- 0 Coach of the Year Awards
- 0 GM of the Year Awards

Rizzo's Hall of Fame Players:
- oCSL Marcus Smart
- SG P.J. Hairston [2015 CSL Draft, Pick 1.16]
- C DeAndre Ayton [2022 CSL Draft, Pick 1.3]
- PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander [2025 CSL Draft, Pick 1.1]

8timechamp
Senior Vice President

Post by 8timechamp »

Dennis wrote:Yeah what Doug said. It is all about how the longer established GMs behave, a trade committee didnt work before and wont work in the future. If you have someone taking advantage of a new guy you can't do much against it.
A committee would stop guys from joining the league.
I would have to disagree with the bolded statement. A smart gm would understand the rules and not be immature about the situation. Those guys who won't join, we don't need them anyway.
Look at the past 10 gm's hired, and how many are still left in the league? I don't have the statistics but I would say 3/4 are gone, while leaving their teams in bad shape. It's only the veterans that are left.

It's the best interest of the league to protect new gm's from any type of trades that are unfair in my opinion.

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

@BlackIce: Good point actually. However, I understand Doug too. It is hard to find a solution for it. We even had a committee already in the CSL.

@8timechamp: So, how would it have felt for you to get the Anderson trade get denied? Wouldn't it have bothered you? You appear to be very matured (some arguments with Andrew and me aside), so you might be a good example for a matured GM. And be honest with your answer.

CSL Champions Image 2028

Sun Scorched
CSL Champ 2016

Post by Sun Scorched »

It's not a great trade, but it's not a travesty either.