League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Contract Extensions

Dylan
Senior Vice President

Contract Extensions

Post by Dylan »

So in light of a very interesting and different free agency, I think there's a few noticeable issues. In the past, we've had no way of really gauging whether a player would be interested in signing a contract extension with their current team or not, but with this style of free agency, I think it's something the league should look into again.

If there's been this formula that was built to show a certain interest level, with a minor added human elements from a PA to evaluate a contract offer, I think we could use that base for extensions. It could potentially lead to avoiding issues like extreme/unrealistic price driving, unrealistic restricted free agency outcomes, and could even make free agency a more realistic experience that the CSL strives for as a whole.

So here's my proposal:

Contract Extension Eligibility:

A player is eligible for a contract extension if they fit the following criteria:
  • In or entering the final year on a contract that was 3 years of length or longer
  • In or entering the final year of their rookie contract
  • The team they play for possesses full bird rights on them
So the idea is eligible players are those that the mother team has an inherent advantage in re-signing them regardless. Players who are coming off long contracts, rookie contract players, or a player that's coming off a shorter contract but the team would still have bird rights on (e.g. been on the team for 5 years but coming off a two year free agent contract).

Contract Extension Rules:

Contract extensions have to fall in the following guidelines:
  • Can't exceed more than 3/4 years for non-rookie contract players (year limit up to admins)
  • Has to be a minimum of $x per season (minimum salary up to admins)
  • Teams can only extend a maximum of one player per season cycle
  • Player has to have interest level above a certain number (determined by player agents/admins) as decided by the given formula
  • Players who are extended are subject to a full one year trade restriction
So the guidelines themselves I don't want to make exact as there's a lot of factors that I think the admins are best suited to decide. But I think the general idea is that a veteran who has full bird rights can sign up to a 3-4 year deal, just like they could get in free agency from another team, it has to be a minimum of a certain salary (like the sign and trade rules), and the player has to have the traits that would make the interest level very high.

For rookie contract players, I think teams should be able to go up to the full 5 year max, with many of the better rookies (e.g. Jamal Murray, Mario Hezonja, Karl Anthony Towns from this off-season), accepting no less than a full max, or at least more than they could mathematically get from another team or the qualifying offer over that same time period.

Other Contract Extension Ideas:

Other potential ideas to make extensions more realistic:
  • Player has to have played for mother team for a minimum of 2 or 3 full seasons
  • Player has to have a loyalty rating above 7 or 8 to consider extension
These are just ideas to make extensions a bit more realistic or harder to come by. Basically the potential to reward player and team loyalty in a way that makes sense.

The specifics of all of this are obviously subject to debate by both the league and admins, but I think if we're going to use this style of free agency now and in the future, extensions could and should be a part of that.

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Re: Contract Extensions

Post by Jestor »

No. Extensions destroy the value of cap space and dilute free agency.

Cleasby
Senior Vice President

Post by Cleasby »

I'm against cap extensions. I think more players in free agency makes the off-season more exciting.
2020-2021 CSL coach of the year

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

Jestor wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:13 pm No. Extensions destroy the value of cap space and dilute free agency.
Tim speaks, I follow

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF K Middleton |
PF W Kessler | C M Williams

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

Yeah extensions would make free agency almost worthless. This is a very drastic solution to a FA system that just requires a handful of tweaks.

drumr
Chairman of the Board

Post by drumr »

I like it. Teams should be able to extend just one guy on their team. I don't think it's fair how were kind of forcing parity and legislating against teams who like to keep their guys and build somethi g sustainable. Everyone doesn't agree with massive player movement every season and we should have a voice too.
Cleveland Cavaliers

Dylan
Senior Vice President

Post by Dylan »

emplep7 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:53 pm Yeah extensions would make free agency almost worthless. This is a very drastic solution to a FA system that just requires a handful of tweaks.
I don't see how the guidelines I suggested would A. make free agency worthless or B. be a "drastic" solution at all.

Dylan
Senior Vice President

Post by Dylan »

drumr wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:31 pm Everyone doesn't agree with massive player movement every season and we should have a voice too.
This. And it's not like anything I said would drastically change anything. It just ever so slightly promotes/helps loyalty in a league/system where it's ignored pretty heavily.

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

Nah, I think there isn't a point unless it's an absolute no brainer, like severely overpaying a role player or giving a five year max to a RFA both of which can happen during the FA period.

Don't believe the underpaying is a real issue anymore... This year the only two obvious max RFAs got it, and the questionable ones got within $3M of it.

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

As much as I dislike the current Free Agency system, I agree with the majority and don't like the extension idea. Free Agency is supposed to be fun, not boring.
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

drumr
Chairman of the Board

Post by drumr »

Dylan wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:39 pm
emplep7 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:53 pm Yeah extensions would make free agency almost worthless. This is a very drastic solution to a FA system that just requires a handful of tweaks.
I don't see how the guidelines I suggested would A. make free agency worthless or B. be a "drastic" solution at all.
Because they didn't read it. (I mean the majority not anyone specifically before I get accused of lashing out lol)
Last edited by drumr on Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cleveland Cavaliers

drumr
Chairman of the Board

Post by drumr »

Dylan wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:42 pm
drumr wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:31 pm Everyone doesn't agree with massive player movement every season and we should have a voice too.
This. And it's not like anything I said would drastically change anything. It just ever so slightly promotes/helps loyalty in a league/system where it's ignored pretty heavily.
Every year it feels like we push slightly away from that and to be honest THAT'S why I play. I rarely fo what I just did and move 3 or 4 guys in a season. I prefer teambuilding. It's actually how I enjoy my other games too. Big into worldbuilding. I just wanted to point out that there is a sizable minority of us and I was really happy to see this post
Cleveland Cavaliers

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

I have no problem with any ideas, but this has been attempted here and in other successful leagues with no benefit to the league so all of the details would need to be looked into.

The NBA rarely has star players or RFAs sign extensions mid season (you will see the rare handful from time to time) and imagine a FA where KAT, Murray, Russell, Hezonja, Dunn, PG, Harden, Inglis, Griffin etc are not in FA. Imagine being a team attempting a rebuild with a ton of CAP and no legit chance to improve through FA.

Additionally, to say the league disregards loyalty is ill informed. Look at the mother teams that retained their FAs due to high loyalty. It’s still INCREDIBLY high.

This isn’t real life, real money, or real stakes. How would a league be fun for everyone if we all had the same rosters with little challenge to building a winner?

With that said, if the league majority feels extensions are a good idea and had controls in place to still ensure regular FA was an option for the rebuilding teams then we will absolutely explore it.

drumr
Chairman of the Board

Post by drumr »

I don't think we're saying it's actively disregarded as if there was some intentionality. To be clear I mean the latest moves seem as if they will have a trickle down effect of making some things not as possible. I for the most part think the FA has a ton of potential and look forward to whats to come but at the same time we can acknowledge this is a forced distribution of wealth whatever the good intentions. It's the good of the league so that doubly makes it cool, but things such as being able to extend one guy would actually be a great way to counter balance it if we could guarentee they got deals the league was happy with.
Cleveland Cavaliers

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

It's worthy of a discussion as it brings more realism but I only see it working in two ways.

1. If Myles interest level sheet is above a certain, threshold, meaning the player actually wants to stay. Might need to flesh the sheet out a bit more first though.

2. Max only. Jon mentioned KAT, Murray, Russell, Hezonja, Dunn, PG, Harden, Inglis, Griffin, etc. Of that group, only KAT and maybe Dunn (due to age) would get a max deal and that's only if there interest level was high enough to begin with. That wouldn't stop Russell getting a max offer in FA because those still occur.

With those two in play, I could see extensions working in a sim league as it would only be small numbers and only those who are worthy of it.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

Dylan
Senior Vice President

Post by Dylan »

bt wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:29 am It's worthy of a discussion as it brings more realism but I only see it working in two ways.

1. If Myles interest level sheet is above a certain, threshold, meaning the player actually wants to stay. Might need to flesh the sheet out a bit more first though.

2. Max only. Jon mentioned KAT, Murray, Russell, Hezonja, Dunn, PG, Harden, Inglis, Griffin, etc. Of that group, only KAT and maybe Dunn (due to age) would get a max deal and that's only if there interest level was high enough to begin with. That wouldn't stop Russell getting a max offer in FA because those still occur.

With those two in play, I could see extensions working in a sim league as it would only be small numbers and only those who are worthy of it.
Both of those are stipulations I mentioned in my post. Especially the loyalty threshold and rookie maxes. I put a minimum $ number, and was suggesting that number be very high. Like at least $12 million if not more.

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

I cant recall from the NLL how many players received an extension. The concern is that, how realistic could we make a formula that would still allow several all star level free agents to hit free agency each summer. I am certainly one that does not want to see free agency get watered down which will just end up having #3/#4 level free agents getting max deals.

I also disagree with Drumrs notion that this new free agency is a forced parity. While I agree that it should help with parity, (something that I think everyone should want) but it adds an entirely new strategic element to the game. The top GMs will still find a way to have the most talented teams. At least with this free agency, we should finally see proper valuations/over pays which prevent future sacramentos, Phoenix, or likely even my Dallas team from getting built.

If Phoenix had to pay Austin, Okaro, and Bledsoe a max I would almost guarantee that they never would have been able to acquire mkg or would have had to trade away one of those 3. Same example could have been made for Sacramento. Take one of their elite players away and they are still a top team but it certainly adds another dynamic.
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done

Sharkn20
Senior Vice President

Post by Sharkn20 »

I enjoy team building too, but realistic is better, I managed to retain LaVine and Biyombo paying over the market money, but is fair that the league dictates their value rather than a formula who will likely cause more problems, as it seems in this league there is A LOT of different opinions.

So play it fair, no extensions, league decide the value, if you are scared that other teams are "stealing" your players because they were more succesful in the past, work in your Franchises and don't tank. It might sound mean, but Rome wasn't created in one day.