League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

New Orleans Pelicans GM Ramcus AMA

Ramcus
CEO

New Orleans Pelicans GM Ramcus AMA

Post by Ramcus »

Well... I might as well join in on the fun, I'm not doing much for these playoffs except scouting the free agent market and scouting 2nd round players. So fire away!
Stay Me7o Image
NOLA 2022-2030: 292-364
BRK 2030-2031: Interim GM/Coach | CSL Champion
LAC 2031-present

Cleasby
Senior Vice President

Re: New Orleans Pelicans GM Ramcus AMA

Post by Cleasby »

Are you signing Carmelo next year?
2020-2021 CSL coach of the year

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Why did you decline Stanley, two firsts + future compensation for AD?
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

Ramcus
CEO

Post by Ramcus »

Cleasby wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:45 pm Are you signing Carmelo next year?
Can I sign him on a minimum? I don't know all the free agents so far. If Melo's cheap, sure I'll take him on.
Stay Me7o Image
LAC 2031-present

Ramcus
CEO

Post by Ramcus »

Andrewu91 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:18 pm Why did you decline Stanley, two firsts + future compensation for AD?
Uh... sí señor
I'm not sure, you offered it to me when I first joined. I didn't have enough knowledge back then, and I don't just want to accept any trade, so I just declined it. Isn't Stanley a revolving door on defense anyways?
Still now, I'd field other offers. I also want to build around AD if I can, I don't want to just become a GM and trade my franchise superstar away. Like, I got lucky joining this season. If the free agent class wasn't as stacked, I probably would trade him away.
Stay Me7o Image
LAC 2031-present

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Ramcus wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:32 pm
Andrewu91 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:18 pm Why did you decline Stanley, two firsts + future compensation for AD?
Uh... sí señor
I'm not sure, you offered it to me when I first joined. I didn't have enough knowledge back then, and I don't just want to accept any trade, so I just declined it. Isn't Stanley a revolving door on defense anyways?
Still now, I'd field other offers. I also want to build around AD if I can, I don't want to just become a GM and trade my franchise superstar away. Like, I got lucky joining this season. If the free agent class wasn't as stacked, I probably would trade him away.
It's hard to build around any player in this league with very few asset's. Too many smart GM's, which leads to overpaying in Free Agency. And even then, it won't be a enough to win a title because the players you sign, will be overpaid and not good enough, unless you get super lucky.
Only reason I'm saying this, is because I've seen it happen a lot in my 4 1/2 real life years in this league. I agree my offer wasn't enough, just wanted to ask the question. But the AD window is closing...

But who knows, best of luck man.

Cleasby
Senior Vice President

Post by Cleasby »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
2020-2021 CSL coach of the year

wms02a
CEO

Post by wms02a »

Cleasby wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:14 pm

What is future compensation???
Dallas Maverick GM

2024: San Antonio Spurs - Southwest Division Champion, GM of the Year, Coach of the Year
2025: San Antonio Spurs - Western Conference Champions

wms02a
CEO

Post by wms02a »

What position is your top priority to fill first this offseason?
Dallas Maverick GM

2024: San Antonio Spurs - Southwest Division Champion, GM of the Year, Coach of the Year
2025: San Antonio Spurs - Western Conference Champions

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Post by Rizzo »

What percent chance would you put on Anthony Davis finishing the 2023-2024 season in a Pelicans uniform?
Career Accolades:
- GM, Cleveland Cavaliers [2013-2018]
- GM, Brooklyn Nets [2018-2030, 2031-Present]
- 0 CSL Championships
- 0 Eastern Conference Championships
- 0 Coach of the Year Awards
- 0 GM of the Year Awards

Rizzo's Hall of Fame Players:
- oCSL Marcus Smart
- SG P.J. Hairston [2015 CSL Draft, Pick 1.16]
- C DeAndre Ayton [2022 CSL Draft, Pick 1.3]
- PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander [2025 CSL Draft, Pick 1.1]

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

wms02a wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:10 pm
Cleasby wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:14 pm

What is future compensation???
Depth charts and advice i guess

Ramcus
CEO

Post by Ramcus »

wms02a wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:19 pm What position is your top priority to fill first this offseason?
No position in particular, most just looking to max a player, and then add role players as necessary. I'm specifically targeting Philly's Parker and MAYBE Bledsoe, but I also don't want to max players like Harden, PG, and Bledsoe. Older players who will screw up my cap situation in a couple years aren't too popular. Parker and Exum are the right age, but lack that championship pedigree. PG, Harden, and Bledsoe do have that "winners DNA," but are on the older end and will backfire more often then not. A player I haven't mentioned yet is Smart, who would also fit nicely.
Stay Me7o Image
LAC 2031-present

Ramcus
CEO

Post by Ramcus »

Rizzo wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:32 pm What percent chance would you put on Anthony Davis finishing the 2023-2024 season in a Pelicans uniform?
Honestly? I'd say around 60%-80%. Depends on how well/poorly we do in free agency/during the season. If lets say I sign Harden, and he's aged so far that he's practically a role player, I'm throwing AD to the wolves. I need assets badly in that case, to try and rebuild. But if we're doing well, he's staying 100%.

Hey if AD's reading this, you're not being traded anytime soon.
Stay Me7o Image
LAC 2031-present

Ramcus
CEO

Post by Ramcus »

Andrewu91 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:36 pm
Ramcus wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:32 pm
Uh... sí señor
It's hard to build around any player in this league with very few asset's. Too many smart GM's, which leads to overpaying in Free Agency. And even then, it won't be a enough to win a title because the players you sign, will be overpaid and not good enough, unless you get super lucky.
Only reason I'm saying this, is because I've seen it happen a lot in my 4 1/2 real life years in this league. I agree my offer wasn't enough, just wanted to ask the question. But the AD window is closing...

But who knows, best of luck man.
Like I said, I got lucky, coming into the CSL with such a stacked free agency. But I'm also unlucky, with so few assets that this is just about the only option I have, less I just trade AD for scraps. I'm working for more assets as I type this, but as of right now the plan is to contend next season. I also don't plan to be a true "contender," I do want to get to the 2nd round at least. I'll be honest, anything past the first round would be enough for me to be content. Especially if I ended up with Smart, Exum, or Parker. They're still getting better. But if I end up with Harden or PG, it's not the worst outcome. I can still trade them for scraps, and at that point I'd be content with scraps. For the most part, I'm just trying to get a feel for the game and the league, and take it from there. If I win a championship, then damn I did a good job building around AD. If not, no worry, we're switching to a new engine and I can trade AD if we're not contending here.

I also have no assets to trade, as stated above. My best trade piece is like Brice Johnson, a role player who averages 10/7 and 1 Steal/1 Block a game. He's not great.
Stay Me7o Image
LAC 2031-present