League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

CSL Tonite! Price Tag of a Skill

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

CSL Tonite! Price Tag of a Skill

Post by WillyJakkz »

Hello CSL fans, I'm Cindy Cindy and welcome to the all new CSL Tonite! Please welcome Steve Smith as he discusses the pricetag and value of a skillset and talent vs athletcism. The floor is yours Smitty...
Well Cindy, I'm gonna discuss the value placed on players throughout the League, the advantages and disadvantages of said players, and the conundrum teams face when dealing with this dilemma.

You have guys like Doug McDermott in Orlando, or Kyle Korver in Charlotte who can't guard their own shadow's but with elite teams playing elite defense you need guys who can keep these teams honest enough on the offensive side of the floor to help the main guys get their baskets in an easier or more efficient way. You can't really put a premium on shooting as there are haves and have not's and depending on the offense, these guys can be just as valuable as a Star level player as they are stars at that particular skill.

The trade-off though is can they guard their position? Can they stay in front of their man? Usually they get lit up light Christmas tree lights but in the end I think it balances out for the better of their teams.

Then you have guys like a Danny Green in Chicago or a Kentavious Caldwell-Pope in Detroit who can give you the best of both worlds in that they can shoot and defend at a high level. They can knock down then lock down and that can be invaluable to any team as they typically don't need their number called to be effective in a game.

And then there's guys like Okaro White in Charlotte and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist in Oklahoma who give you supreme athleticism to go along with lock down defense. These guys can hold very high value to teams as they provide incredible defense but they also may not be as valuable due to the one-dimensional side of their game. They can be key but can also be a liability so the value can range all over the place.

In short beauty is in the eye of the beholder, these guys can look like prom queens to some and drag queens to another.
(Broadcast goes black...dead air)...
Last edited by WillyJakkz on Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF K Middleton |
PF W Kessler | C M Williams

Sun Scorched
CSL Champ 2016

Re: CSL Tonite! Price Tag of a Skill

Post by Sun Scorched »

I love OKARO!!!!!!

But, in my system, the mid-range guy that can do everything well is most valuable. Just good enough to break the zone with his shooting, just good enough defensively, etc.

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

All of these players are key players in their own right. KCP has really stepped it up for us this year, even if he still doesn't light up the world on offense. White and MKG are both studs though on the defensive end and I'm hoping RHJ becomes the next coming of them.

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Post by Rizzo »

Good thing Hollis Thompson signed on with the Suns to sit on the bench or he could have been mentioned here.
Career Accolades:
- GM, Cleveland Cavaliers [2013-2018]
- GM, Brooklyn Nets [2018-2030, 2031-Present]
- 0 CSL Championships
- 0 Eastern Conference Championships
- 0 Coach of the Year Awards
- 0 GM of the Year Awards

Rizzo's Hall of Fame Players:
- oCSL Marcus Smart
- SG P.J. Hairston [2015 CSL Draft, Pick 1.16]
- C DeAndre Ayton [2022 CSL Draft, Pick 1.3]
- PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander [2025 CSL Draft, Pick 1.1]

StOfTheStep
Senior Vice President

Post by StOfTheStep »

Rizzo wrote:Good thing Hollis Thompson signed on with the Suns to sit on the bench or he could have been mentioned here.
Phoenix sucks.

StOfTheStep
Senior Vice President

Post by StOfTheStep »

In all seriousness though, it's interesting to see certain GMs display their preferences through acquisitions. Do they favor one side of the ball, if so, which? Furthermore, it helps to see which mindset is justified through the team's performance.

Sun Scorched
CSL Champ 2016

Post by Sun Scorched »

StOfTheStep wrote:In all seriousness though, it's interesting to see certain GMs display their preferences through acquisitions. Do they favor one side of the ball, if so, which? Furthermore, it helps to see which mindset is justified through the team's performance.
Agreed completely - perhaps one of the most interesting things in the CSL!

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

I love Green. He's very, very solid, can D, shoot, does not try more than he's capable of doing. Just a perfect player overall, fits in any schemes, can play multiple positions.. And he's fairly on price to what he brings. He's not the star but is just as much valuable as any star for a contending team because he brings SO MANY positives, and not really many flaws in his game since he just try to do what he's capable of.

Kind of player who maximizes his strengths and hides his weaknesses so deep you can't even notice them. I'm glad to have him.
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

NanashiWake
Senior Vice President

Post by NanashiWake »

Interesting read, wondering about that ending as I haven't viewed your other post yet. Intriguing indeed...hmm...

As for these type of players, I'll admit, I have a preference for the players that can defend lights out. Obviously two-way players are the way to go statistically, but guys like KCP and MKG (and yes emplep, RHJ...hmm maybe it has to do something with hyphenated names Lol) are my weakness in these leagues.
Year 1: 47-35 [[Washington Wizards]]
Year 2: 45-37 [[Washington Wizards]]
Year 3: Fired [[Portland Trailblazers]]

Chilikonkarne
CEO

Post by Chilikonkarne »

The McDermott and Korver type can be great addition but are difficult to cover in defense.

Last year we limited Korver to about 20/25 minutes game so he could unlock zone defense when facing one. Good to have when you have dominant PF or C. But we felt Korver was not used at his full potential with Ibaka and Kanter inside since a lot of teams didn't zone us.
Chilikonkarne Era (273-186 / 59%)

2014-2015 : 28-21 - (Lottery)
2015-2016 : 50-32 - (Conference Final)
2016-2017 : 35-47 - (Lottery)
2017-2018 : 54-28 - (Conference Final, Atlantic Division Champion)
2018-2019 : 49-33 - (2nd round)
2019-2020 : 57-25 - (2nd round, Atlantic Division Champion)

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

Really cool concept piece, I dig the list. KJ McDaniels will be on it soon enough, he's really upped his 3P% but isn't a sniper quite yet. I agree with TOR in that shooters who aren't strong on the other end cause issues. The question for me is...is it easier to have a sniper who can't defend starting or vice versa?
Ball is Life.

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Post by andrei »

COURTNEY LEE for threeee - most underrated player in the game :)
Congrats to season 16 ASL champion SoulKey. For the Swarm!

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

Rizzo wrote:Good thing Hollis Thompson signed on with the Suns to sit on the bench or he could have been mentioned here.
What are you talking about? He's playing 20 minutes per game for me.

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

Jeff Van Gundy bump

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF K Middleton |
PF W Kessler | C M Williams

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

My takeaway from this article is that shooting is valuable........