League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO

TWW's Making the Case #1: Bledsoe v. Walker Arguments

Post Reply

Who had a better career: Bledsoe or Walker?

Poll ended at Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:16 pm

Eric Bledsoe
8
62%
Kemba Walker
5
38%
Tie
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 13

User avatar
TheTwoWallaces
General Manager
Posts: 975
Joined: Thu May 23, 2019 4:31 pm
Contact:

TWW's Making the Case #1: Bledsoe v. Walker Arguments

Post by TheTwoWallaces »

Without any delay, I present the first installment of Making the Case: Who had a better career, Eric Bledsoe or Kemba Walker?

Voting will be Live until Sunday 2/14, when the next installment is released.

Have at it in the comments.

The Case for: Eric Bledsoe
As argued by: OneNole


Image

The aged old debate of Kemba vs Bledsoe. But why? Once we dive into these two players we can see how Bledsoe is clearly equal to if not better than Kemba in every key category.

DDS3/Team Importance: One of the greatest things about Bledsoe is the fact that he is a plug and play player. DDS3 heavily relied on teams ability to hit a 3 point shot. Without it, your team would instantly be zoned upon. Place him on any team and he instantly fits, you don’t have to build a team around him like you would Kemba.

A quality system can turn a good player into a great one, and Kemba was fortunate to have a system built to maximize his talents. He thrived in the environment that Jon built for him, but once taken off of Detroit, he has become nothing more than an after thought of a player. Unlike Bledsoe, Kemba needed to be surrounded by quality 3 point shooters to open the lanes and punish teams that tried to zone. Don’t let Kemba’s 37% from 3 fool you. He made less than 1 3 per game for his career.

Bledsoe on the other hand has enjoyed success regardless on which team he has been apart. Behind great 3 point shooting, ball movement, and defense which was arguably better than Kemba’s, you could place Bledsoe on any team regardless of system. Bledsoes ability to hit the 3 ball is a big reason why you continue to see him making an impact at 35 years old in the league while Kemba has become a player who no longer deserves playing time. Bledsoe continues to shoot nearly 44% from 3 while Kemba can barely get above 38% from the field. Slashing players that do not develop a jump shot do not age well in DDS or the NBA.

Ball Don't Lie: The Stats
Bledsoe/Kemba
PPG: 18.8/20.0
APG: 7.3 /5.3
RPG: 3.7/3.9
SPG: 1.6/2.2
BPG: 1.2/.5
FG: 44%/43%
3PT: 44%/37%
FT: 76%/85%
TS: 58/53

Looking at these numbers side by side one can see that Bledsoe clearly dominated Kemba in nearly every category. And what would further separate these numbers even more is the fact that Bledsoe has never played over 32 MPG for his entire career. During Kemba’s entire prime career he played 34 MPG in all but 3 seasons.

Bledsoe enjoyed a far more efficient career proven by his true shooting percentage of 58 vs Kembas 53. And while Kemba was certainly an elite defensive player, and deserved all of the praise he got. Ask yourself who you would rather have had, a player that despite playing more mpg averaged 2.2 steals and .5 block per game or a player that averaged 1.6 steals and an amazing 1.2 blocks as a PG.

Trump Card: He has 3 rings to Kembas 1, 98 playoff wins to Kemba’s 88. What more needs to be said? He has been a top 2 player on all 3 of his championships. A player who should have 4 rings if not for horrible officiating and the choking of McCollum in their game 7 loss to the Bulls. Speaking of choking, Kemba widely became known as a player that would shoot you out of games in the playoffs. Shooting in the low 40s for much of his Detroit playoff run. When it mattered most, Bledsoe consistently delivered. Kemba clearly did not.

Recap: To summarize, Bledsoe was a player built for this engine, had better overall stats, and has won more championships. So, could you ask me again why we are debating this?



The Case for: Kemba Walker
As argued by: Emplep7


Image

Ahh Kemba, my beloved Kemba. You have given me great joy over my CSL career even if you are no longer on the Pistons, but defending your honor is the least I can do for what you did for me in that glorious game 7 of the Finals 8 (yes 8) season ago.

So where do we begin?

Is it the fact that you have been the most dominant defensive guard the league has ever seen? Is it the fact that you have single-handedly led teams to the playoffs every year and won a championship on your back? Is it the fact that you’re Allen-Iverson esque style of putting your body on the line to make your team win is what sets you apart from every other top point guard to have ever played in the CSL?

As with any good debate, we really need to start at the beginning…

History Lesson

For those of you who might be newer to the league, you probably don’t remember Kemba (or Bledsoe) in their primes that well. You also don’t know the history of either player, but since I could care less about Eric “I’ve had stacked teams around me my whole career” Bledsoe, I’m only going to focus on the Great One.

Kemba came into the league, just like his real life counterpart, in Charlotte. He was always known as a defensive wizard where no opposing guard could score against him, but his offense left A LOT to be desired. He could score but wasn’t very efficient averaging around 40% on his FGs over the course of his first two season. He was seen as a solid player, but one that probably will never transform a franchise. After his first season in Charlotte under, Toronto (manned by Chili) took a swing at him to see if they could help out his offensive metrics. In 2.5 seasons in Toronto, Kemba started to see some growth on the offensive end and his final half year in Toronto he was putting up astronomical numbers of 28 points, 5 assists, 5 boards, and 2.3 steals a game on 45% from the field (with 41% from three). Midway through the season, the Pistons, who had been playoff contenders and were coming fresh off back to back Finals defeat behind their star Andre Drummond decided it was time to make a move for someone who could take the team to newer heights and get them over the hump. A deal was struck to send Drummond to Toronto for Kemba and the rest, ass they say, is history.

Kemba came into Detroit, who is never known to have high scoring players due to the slow offensive pace system they run and kept up his high scoring antics while forcing 3 steals a game and putting in shots at a rate of 45% FG as well as 42% from three.

The following year, Kemba continued to establish himself as a force in the league. He led the Pistons to their third straight Finals and took the Rockets (and all time CSL legend James Harden) to 7 games with an eventual loss. This started the chess match between both teams to see if the Pistons could guess what position Harden would play that game and assign Kemba to defend him to limit his production. Another Finals loss for the Pistons though and it was starting to look like maybe the team was just cursed and maybe Kemba wasn’t the cure.

In comes 2018, Kemba started off strong and never let up. He was putting up 24 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists, 2.6 steals a game in almost 34 minutes per game. Not only that but he was shooting 46% from the floor, 86% from the charity stripe, and 38% from three. He was killing it that year.

Then the playoffs came and he upped his game yet again. Those playoffs he averaged 27 points, 4 boards, 4 assists, and 2.6 steals per game along with his 44% FG and 41% 3PT shooting percentages. This came in 36 minutes per game. This guy always showed up though when it mattered most and he is the single reason the Pistons ever won a ring. I’m convinced if I didn’t have Kemba, I would never have a ring.

After that Kemba spent the next 4 years in Detroit, while reaching the Finals one more time. This time it was against the very own Bledsoe. Both players had good playoff series with Bledsoe averaging 21 points, 8 assists, 5 rebounds, 2.1 steals, and 1.4 blocks (I wont talk about his 3.9 turnovers) a game in 34 minutes a game to go along with his 45/48/79 splits. Kemba posted 22 points, 5 assists, 4 rebounds, 2.3 steals (and only 2.6 turnovers cough cough) a game in 33 minutes to go with his 45/55/88 splits. Pretty even across the board, but lets just say that it seems one player was a little sloppy with the ball at times and didn’t match the efficiency of the other. Regardless, due to the Suns stacked team they came out on top. But it wasn’t because of Bledsoe.

If you look at that series, Bledsoe wasn’t even guarding Kemba. Phoenix put Okaro White (yes the all time defensive great) on Kemba that whole series. It still didn’t slow him down much, but clearly they didn’t trust Eric “Butter Fingers” Bledsoe to hold down the fort. Kemba – well he guarded Bledsoe and clearly caused some ball security issues. Again – every single night Kemba had to CARRY BOTH THE OFFENSIVE AND DEFENSIVE LOAD for the Pistons. Bledsoe was never asked to do either. He was a byproduct of a great team. Without Bledsoe, the Suns proved they could win. They did so with Shaw Harrison. That is called replaceable. We haven’t been the same without Kemba. I’m still searching for my next Kemba and the sad truth is that he will never come.

Now that’s the history, but WHY would we put Kemba above a three-time champions career? Well lets break it down piece by piece…

Stats

Sure, we can start by looking at the stats here. In the regular season and playoffs, Kemba put up more points, rebounds, steals, STP%, FT% and less turnovers. Bledsoe got the better of him in assists, blocks, FG% (barely) and 3PT%. Lets just say that it’s a wash there. Kemba’s overall accolades outshine Bledsoe’s and his career EFF is better overall. If you’re a stat’s only type of guy, then I guess it leans towards Kemba, but in my opinion I will even admit it’s pretty even and hard to separate.

Rings

My favorite, low sports IQ debate point…“Its all about the rings”. Well championships are important to an extent. Tom Brady has shown that he has LED his teams to super bowls, but would you put Terry Bradshaw above Dan Marino in terms of who was the better QB and who had the better career? If anyone has to even think about that then you don’t know football. The same thing applies here as well. Sure Bledsoe has 3 rings to Kemba’s 1. Some might say, what is the point of this? 3 to 1 is easy math that even I can do it. Lets be honest with ourselves though. That third “title” shouldn’t even count since he was bench fodder for the Bulls who were led by a maniac in AD and scoring wizard in Milos Teodosic so really lets call it like it is. Two rings against one.

If you want to use the ring theory, all his teams have also had MKG on them. Do the three rings make MKG the best forward that the league has ever seen? Kevin Durant and Kawhi Leonard have zero rings, but I think we can all agree that you would never trade prime KD or Kawhi for prime MKG. Hell, Derek Fisher has more rings than Lebron in real life but is he better than him? Rings only tell a part of the story and when it comes to two rings vs one, it’s a non-factor. End of story.

Alpha

Listen, Bledsoe is a fine player, and one of the best guards in the league’s history. His ability to block shots as a guard give him a nice added bonus. Hell at one point I think I even asked Doug what it would take to get him next to Kemba when he offloaded him to the Thunder, but if you notice a trend with Bledsoe he has always had other stars around him to carry the load. Look at those Phoenix and OKC (and even Chicago) teams – they were STACKED. Isaiah Austin, Isaiah Taylor, SJJ, Klay Thompson, Anthony Davis, Milos Teodosic. Those players are alpha’s, so Bledsoe has NEVER had to be that. Like EVER.

Let’s look at poor Kemba and the crappy teams the Pistons GM put around him. Rubio, KCP, TT, Ibaka? Come on man. Kemba had to carry the team on his back. It amazaing this guy even made it to the Finals as much as he did with that group of low lifes.

Either way, Bledsoe has never single handedly won a ring. Kemba has. Not only that, Kemba led his teams to Finals three times essentially on his own and not only had to be the Pistons leading scorer, but also had to be their best defender on the opposing teams best scorer. Think about the last time a player had to be both of those things and win a ring on his own? LeBron comes to mind, but other than him its hard to come by anyone else. Bledsoe didn’t have to worry about covering the offensive load either with stars like Austin, Taylor, SJJ, Klay, Milos and AD on his team.

Next!

June 6th, 2018

Let us not forget this date. Everybody woke up thinking June 6th, 2018 was just a regular run of the mill day. They didn’t know that they were about to see the single greatest Game 7 performance known to man.

The Pistons came into this road game 7 with a real chance to finally break the Finals curse. They were down 3-2 only to storm back to win Game 6 behind yet another Kemba historical performance.

That wasn’t enough though. Kemba knew if he was going to get a ring, he had to enter the superhuman zone.

Case in Point
Image

Sure, Harden dropped 46 too, but Harden was an unstoppable force. Kemba asked him to hold his beer, dropped 50 points, hut 5 of 12 threes, added 10 boards, and 7 assists in 43 minutes of play and let the world know that he was on top. He was on top of the world and still is.

Charisma

Do you want a boring run PG with no personality to run your team? If so, then Bledsoe is your man. Ever recall when Mr. Goody Goody ever got into a fight with anyone on the court or yelled at a fan? No, because he is a classic rule follower. Kemba doesn’t play that game.

I remember when Kemba got in Rudy Tomjanovic’s face in Game 6 of the first Finals appearance against the Rockets. Rudy was taking him out with 10 minutes to go in the game down 4 to give him rest before the last stretch and Kemba told him to sit down and stick his hand your know where. Kemba stayed in the rest of the game putting up 29 points, 8 assists, 7 rebounds, and 5 steals. This guy gets it.

Against the lowly Pacers, some fan was calling him a choke artist. Kemba stared at the fan the rest of the game after every bucket he made. And my man drives to the lane, he doesn’t sit back and take jumpers and three’s. Come on!

Who Said it?

Listen, some of you might say “This guy is biased trust anything he says?” even if I am laying down cold hard facts on all of you. That’s fine and I get it to a point, so instead of hearing it from me, lets listen to some people who have played against him. Lets start with that Defensive Wizard in Okaro White.

“Listen, I’ve been playing this game a long time and have gone against some of the best in the league, but everytime I go up against Kemba it’s a battle man. I remember going up against him in the Finals and coach wanted me to guard him and dude had a non-stop motor. I mean I went up against the Isaiah’s [Austin and Taylor] in practice everyday and EB, but this dude is on another level when it comes to effort. I never seen anyone with motor like him in my life and he still got his points. I’m still not happy about him winning the DPoY award that one year since I felt I had another good year, but I can’t deny that guy can do it all better than anyone I’ve ever seen." – Okaro White

I mean if you can’t see there that its clear as day from someone who was a long time teammate of Bledsoe, then you’re living in another world. I’ll throw you another one though…
“Yeah, those Finals were wild man. KW was all over me wherever I went and even though he’s small he makes it difficult man. I still think if my team had come through in that Game 6 or Game 7 we would have won B2Bs, but I’m sure some of them think if I didn’t hit the strip club every night that I could have put up another 10-15 points. This dude is the toughest competitor I ever went against though hands down."
James Harden

Again, take it from the horses mouth.

Lets look at one more though, this from someone who was a teammate of both players in their primes.

“Yoo, that’s a tough question. I mean better career is tough since EB has those three rings, but if we talking about the better player. No disrespect to EB, but Kemba is on a whole other level man. His defense was unmatched on the court and he gave it his all on the other side too. EB could shoot that ball better for sure, but he never really had the fire like Kemba had. Kemba one day in practice played the other 4 starters with 2 of our backups Marc [Marcus Paige] and Big Rob [Robert Upshaw] and they ran the table man. He dropped something like 63 in practice that day and they beat Rubio, KCP, TT, and Serge [Ibaka] by 20 or something. I remember Coach T was mad at Kemba too for doing what he did. He was a killer."
Jerian Grant

Again, if you look at it from a black and white standpoint, maybe – just maybe – you can say sure Bledsoe had the better career and is the better player, but if you look at it with all the other details then its amazing what Kemba has done with so much less than Bledsoe was handed. It’s really not close and this shouldn’t even be a debate.

Let’s End This

Let’s not forget when he was going head to head against Harden and it was a literal chess match to see if Kemba could guess where Harden would play. People in the league were scared of Kemba because when you matched up against him you knew you were going to have a REEEEAAAAL hard time scoring that night. I’m not saying Bledsoe isn’t a great defender in his own right but Kemba is on another level.

Case in point – Did Bledsoe win Defensive Player of the Year, an award that was dominated for years by none other than Okaro White? No! Kemba is the only player other than AD to do so. And Kemba is the only guard to do so. This guy is a generational talent, he should go down as the best PG the league has seen regardless of the failures of his GMs and it’s a no-brainer than Kemba is superior to Bledsoe. Anyone who says otherwise can talk to the Terry Bradshaw fan club…

Image


As an interesting side note, these guys have had a long history against each other both here and the NBA dating back to their college days at UConn and Kentucky. If you look there, its also clear Kemba is the supreme player (even though RL Kemba is on the awful Celtics).
2025-2026 Pacers
VanVleet | Alkins | Ojeleye | Patton | Mika

TWW Pacers history
2023/24: 25-57
2024/25: 40-42
2025/26: 37-45

User avatar
GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024
Posts: 5381
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:18 am
Location: Philly
Contact:

Re: TWW's Making the Case #1: Bledsoe v. Walker Arguments

Post by GreenBear »

Jon, I don't understand this part where you say "If you look at that series, Bledsoe wasn’t even guarding Kemba. Phoenix put Okaro White (yes the all time defensive great) on Kemba that whole series. It still didn’t slow him down much, but clearly they didn’t trust Eric “Butter Fingers” Bledsoe to hold down the fort. Kemba – well he guarded Bledsoe and clearly caused some ball security issues."

Honestly, I may or may not have put Okaro on Kemba. I don't remember. If you were playing Kemba on the wings, I definitely did. But if you were playing Kemba at PG, I definitely did not. Regardless, in DDS3, how could I have put Okaro on Kemba defensively, yet Kemba be marking Bledsoe on the other end? There weren't defensive assignments, so either they were guarding each other or they weren't. You can't have it both ways.
Starters: Shaq Harrison | Isaiah Taylor | Jae Crowder | Okaro White | Zhou Qi
2nd Unit: Aaron Holiday | Kevin Porter | Aleksandar Vezenkov | Eric Paschall | Dedric Lawson

User avatar
emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018
Posts: 5553
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:06 pm
Contact:

Re: TWW's Making the Case #1: Bledsoe v. Walker Arguments

Post by emplep7 »

Kemba played SG against you in that series and after game 1 Okaro exclusively played SG. I remember all of my losing series vividly.
Image

User avatar
OneNole
Chairman of the Board
Posts: 3468
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:36 pm
Contact:

Re: TWW's Making the Case #1: Bledsoe v. Walker Arguments

Post by OneNole »

emplep7 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:31 pm Kemba played SG against you in that series and after game 1 Okaro exclusively played SG. I remember all of my losing series vividly.
So apparenrly you moved Kemba off of your matchup with Bledsoe knowing that doug would likely move okaro to guard him. I guess you didnt like the overall matchup with bledsoe.
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done

User avatar
GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024
Posts: 5381
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:18 am
Location: Philly
Contact:

Re: TWW's Making the Case #1: Bledsoe v. Walker Arguments

Post by GreenBear »

emplep7 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:31 pm Kemba played SG against you in that series and after game 1 Okaro exclusively played SG. I remember all of my losing series vividly.
I believe that, but then your last sentence saying Kemba guarded Bledsoe and caused ball security issues isn't correct. If Kemba was playing SG then he never defended Bledsoe.

I was never going to move Bledsoe from PG for a multitude of reasons. None of which included avoiding Kemba.
Starters: Shaq Harrison | Isaiah Taylor | Jae Crowder | Okaro White | Zhou Qi
2nd Unit: Aaron Holiday | Kevin Porter | Aleksandar Vezenkov | Eric Paschall | Dedric Lawson

User avatar
Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019
Posts: 6093
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:15 am
Location: Brazil
Contact:

Re: TWW's Making the Case #1: Bledsoe v. Walker Arguments

Post by Marcos_Beck »

Rose > All
#1 L.Ball #2 J.Murray #23 B.Bowen #35 M.Wagner #44 B.Adebayo
#16 J.Evans ?? M.Louzada #38 M.Gbijine #52 C.Swanigan ?? I.Fall Faye

18-19 Champions Image
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah #0 L.Stephenson

User avatar
emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018
Posts: 5553
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:06 pm
Contact:

Re: TWW's Making the Case #1: Bledsoe v. Walker Arguments

Post by emplep7 »

OneNole wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:14 pm
emplep7 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:31 pm Kemba played SG against you in that series and after game 1 Okaro exclusively played SG. I remember all of my losing series vividly.
So apparenrly you moved Kemba off of your matchup with Bledsoe knowing that doug would likely move okaro to guard him. I guess you didnt like the overall matchup with bledsoe.
I was more worried about Isaiah Taylor scoring than Bledsoe.
Image

User avatar
AlexS
General Manager
Posts: 265
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:14 pm
Contact:

Re: TWW's Making the Case #1: Bledsoe v. Walker Arguments

Post by AlexS »

There are some good arguments here. This was really fun to read as these guys' peak was before my time in the CSL. It seems like a really close call between them, but I ultimately voted for Bledsoe due to the 3 rings vs 1 of Kemba. It's interesting too seeing how both of their games have evolved as they've aged, both productive players and could be for the next 1-2 yrs.

User avatar
Flaming Homer
Commissioner
Posts: 3066
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:31 pm
Contact:

Re: TWW's Making the Case #1: Bledsoe v. Walker Arguments

Post by Flaming Homer »

Great job Brett and Jon in bringing up all kind of arguments. I was not around as this outstanding players were in their prime.
Very tough call and it should be probably a tie.

A lot of the facts (or how you interpret the facts) leads to Bledsoe. But I decided for Kemba, after asking myself which one I would pick for my team if I had the choice between the two in their prime ... and a little bit because the most seem to favor Bledsoe anyway :lol:

I think Kemba is the better defense player, Bledsoe better overall. And everyone knows, for me D first.

User avatar
OneNole
Chairman of the Board
Posts: 3468
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:36 pm
Contact:

Re: TWW's Making the Case #1: Bledsoe v. Walker Arguments

Post by OneNole »

Flaming Homer wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:24 pm Great job Brett and Jon in bringing up all kind of arguments. I was not around as this outstanding players were in their prime.
Very tough call and it should be probably a tie.

A lot of the facts (or how you interpret the facts) leads to Bledsoe. But I decided for Kemba, after asking myself which one I would pick for my team if I had the choice between the two in their prime ... and a little bit because the most seem to favor Bledsoe anyway :lol:

I think Kemba is the better defense player, Bledsoe better overall. And everyone knows, for me D first.
I will take that sentence to mean you know Bledsoe is better but felt bad for jon.

I'd argue bledsoe was a better defender. Higher defensive overall rating (forgot to include) and more forced turnovers. I wish I had access to my old files to research stop percentage but that stat is misleading depending on team strats
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done

User avatar
GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024
Posts: 5381
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:18 am
Location: Philly
Contact:

Re: TWW's Making the Case #1: Bledsoe v. Walker Arguments

Post by GreenBear »

At worst, their defense was a wash.

STL - Kemba 90 to 82
DEF - Bledsoe 83 to 78
BLK - Bledsoe 51 to 42

As for the STP%, we're literally talking about less than 1%. And stopping smaller PGs is harder than stopping wings (which is where Kemba played a lot of the time).

Kemba got a few more steals, and that's why he won the DPoY one season. But you cannot definitively say he's the better defender, because that's just not accurate.
Starters: Shaq Harrison | Isaiah Taylor | Jae Crowder | Okaro White | Zhou Qi
2nd Unit: Aaron Holiday | Kevin Porter | Aleksandar Vezenkov | Eric Paschall | Dedric Lawson

User avatar
emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018
Posts: 5553
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:06 pm
Contact:

Re: TWW's Making the Case #1: Bledsoe v. Walker Arguments

Post by emplep7 »

I know you guys feel like you have to defend the honor of poor little Bledsoe, but its okay. I would also say without a doubt that Kemba is the better defender. Bledsoe had a more diverse offensive skill set, which made him more efficient but defensively its Kemba. And that's not a slight either because Bledsoe was one of the best defensive players in the league in his prime too, but Kemba was unreal with defensive metrics (completely outside of ratings) and only played M2M so he faced more drives than almost every guard every single year. Pull the old files and check it out, the stats don't lie.

The only true fact is that if Kemba was on those stacked Phoenix teams, they wouldn't have choked against the Bulls and they would have three titles under their belt. Bledsoe couldn't overcome the CJ slump, but Kemba would have put them on his back.

Don't hold Kemba's GMs discretions against him when we all know Kemba ruled the roost.
Image

User avatar
Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten
Posts: 3549
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:26 am
Contact:

Re: TWW's Making the Case #1: Bledsoe v. Walker Arguments

Post by Myles »

I was going to vote Kemba until I read the poll question itself. Who had a better career? Bledsoe. Which player would I have rather had during their prime? Kemba.

User avatar
Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019
Posts: 6093
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:15 am
Location: Brazil
Contact:

Re: TWW's Making the Case #1: Bledsoe v. Walker Arguments

Post by Marcos_Beck »

emplep7 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:43 pm I know you guys feel like you have to defend the honor of poor little Bledsoe, but its okay. I would also say without a doubt that Kemba is the better defender. Bledsoe had a more diverse offensive skill set, which made him more efficient but defensively its Kemba. And that's not a slight either because Bledsoe was one of the best defensive players in the league in his prime too, but Kemba was unreal with defensive metrics (completely outside of ratings) and only played M2M so he faced more drives than almost every guard every single year. Pull the old files and check it out, the stats don't lie.

The only true fact is that if Kemba was on those stacked Phoenix teams, they wouldn't have choked against the Bulls and they would have three titles under their belt. Bledsoe couldn't overcome the CJ slump, but Kemba would have put them on his back.

Don't hold Kemba's GMs discretions against him when we all know Kemba ruled the roost.
Kemba blew a 3-2 lead that year against us.
#1 L.Ball #2 J.Murray #23 B.Bowen #35 M.Wagner #44 B.Adebayo
#16 J.Evans ?? M.Louzada #38 M.Gbijine #52 C.Swanigan ?? I.Fall Faye

18-19 Champions Image
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah #0 L.Stephenson

User avatar
GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024
Posts: 5381
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:18 am
Location: Philly
Contact:

Re: TWW's Making the Case #1: Bledsoe v. Walker Arguments

Post by GreenBear »

Kemba's blown a lot of important series 🙃
Starters: Shaq Harrison | Isaiah Taylor | Jae Crowder | Okaro White | Zhou Qi
2nd Unit: Aaron Holiday | Kevin Porter | Aleksandar Vezenkov | Eric Paschall | Dedric Lawson

User avatar
emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018
Posts: 5553
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:06 pm
Contact:

Re: TWW's Making the Case #1: Bledsoe v. Walker Arguments

Post by emplep7 »

I will repeat...”Dont hold Kemba’s GMs discretions against him”
Image

User avatar
Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019
Posts: 6093
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:15 am
Location: Brazil
Contact:

Re: TWW's Making the Case #1: Bledsoe v. Walker Arguments

Post by Marcos_Beck »

emplep7 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:03 pm I will repeat...”Dont hold Kemba’s GMs discretions against him”
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
#1 L.Ball #2 J.Murray #23 B.Bowen #35 M.Wagner #44 B.Adebayo
#16 J.Evans ?? M.Louzada #38 M.Gbijine #52 C.Swanigan ?? I.Fall Faye

18-19 Champions Image
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah #0 L.Stephenson

User avatar
GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024
Posts: 5381
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:18 am
Location: Philly
Contact:

Re: TWW's Making the Case #1: Bledsoe v. Walker Arguments

Post by GreenBear »

emplep7 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:43 pm I know you guys feel like you have to defend the honor of poor little Bledsoe, but its okay. I would also say without a doubt that Kemba is the better defender. Bledsoe had a more diverse offensive skill set, which made him more efficient but defensively its Kemba. And that's not a slight either because Bledsoe was one of the best defensive players in the league in his prime too, but Kemba was unreal with defensive metrics (completely outside of ratings) and only played M2M so he faced more drives than almost every guard every single year. Pull the old files and check it out, the stats don't lie.

The only true fact is that if Kemba was on those stacked Phoenix teams, they wouldn't have choked against the Bulls and they would have three titles under their belt. Bledsoe couldn't overcome the CJ slump, but Kemba would have put them on his back.

Don't hold Kemba's GMs discretions against him when we all know Kemba ruled the roost.
I'm not arguing the number of drives Kemba faced. Both Bledsoe and Kemba faced a ton. What I'm arguing is that Kemba faced many of those drives against wings. It's harder to stop drives against smaller PGs. The numbers support my argument. Kemba and Bledsoe were almost the exact same size (Bledsoe 6'1 - 182, Kemba 6'1 - 184), and Bledsoe had a better defensive rating at 83 to 78. If I played Bledsoe on the wings, he would've had a STP% as good or better than Kemba. Of that I'm sure.

As for replacing the 2, if you put Kemba on my team, I'd have been heavily zoned to force CJ freaking McCollum win the games. We would've been lucky to get out of the first round with Kemba here.
Starters: Shaq Harrison | Isaiah Taylor | Jae Crowder | Okaro White | Zhou Qi
2nd Unit: Aaron Holiday | Kevin Porter | Aleksandar Vezenkov | Eric Paschall | Dedric Lawson

User avatar
Flaming Homer
Commissioner
Posts: 3066
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:31 pm
Contact:

Re: TWW's Making the Case #1: Bledsoe v. Walker Arguments

Post by Flaming Homer »

OneNole wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:12 pm
Flaming Homer wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:24 pm Great job Brett and Jon in bringing up all kind of arguments. I was not around as this outstanding players were in their prime.
Very tough call and it should be probably a tie.

A lot of the facts (or how you interpret the facts) leads to Bledsoe. But I decided for Kemba, after asking myself which one I would pick for my team if I had the choice between the two in their prime ... and a little bit because the most seem to favor Bledsoe anyway :lol:

I think Kemba is the better defense player, Bledsoe better overall. And everyone knows, for me D first.
I will take that sentence to mean you know Bledsoe is better but felt bad for jon.
:D :D :D

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest