League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

DePaula: Shining Star For Orlando

Write snippets about your team or the league here.
WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

DePaula: Shining Star For Orlando

Post by WillyJakkz »

Lakers GM jestor:
What you need is someone who has established that they can play PG without a drop in performance, who can run the offense, and who has a 3 point shot... GDP doesn't check any of those boxes other than running the offense - he plays much worse at PG and has no 3 point shot.

Grizzlies GM andrei:
DePaula is decent and best player in the deal and all but I don't get the logic though... so trading his best shooter for a non-shooter is a headscratcher.

Magic PG George DePaula has been averaging 15pts and 10asts all while shooting 53% from downtown making 18-34 3pt attempts.

"Prove them wrong...and maybe open a Portuguese restaurant in Orlando", says DePaula with a smile.
Last edited by WillyJakkz on Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF D Bane
PF S Barnes| C M Williams

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Re: DePaula: Shining Star For Orlando

Post by Andrewu91 »

#zone9
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

His FG3 will go down significantly. No worries. At times the game gives away flukes. Those come and go though.
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

I think GDP is a good long term pickup if you add extra shooters elsewhere. GDP is a mid-30s three-point shooter for most of his career, which is okay, but I don't see you as a consistent enough outside threat. Even if we did lose by 3 points in our recent meeting, I wouldn't hesitate to zone Orlando heavily again. Wiggins won't be going 7-10 from three that often. I'll take my chances

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

Dennis wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:08 pm His FG3 will go down significantly. No worries. At times the game gives away flukes. Those come and go though.
Eh... He has shot the 3 well when we face zones, no fluke he can legit shoot em

ORLANDO
MAGIC:

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

In terms of pure talent Orlando should be a top 4 seed in the East, it's just a matter of making the pieces fit and finding the right strategy.
Ball is Life.

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

blackice wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:45 pm In terms of pure talent Orlando should be a top 4 seed in the East, it's just a matter of making the pieces fit and finding the right strategy.
Aiming for regaining division crown first but I can agree with that thx

ORLANDO
MAGIC:

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

WillyJakkz wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:40 pm
Dennis wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:08 pm His FG3 will go down significantly. No worries. At times the game gives away flukes. Those come and go though.
Eh... He has shot the 3 well when we face zones, no fluke he can legit shoot em
I know you don't know the shootings well (how should you w/o game), but if he shoots an infinite amount of 3s, he will end up around his true 3pt shot rating which is somewhere around 33%. So he might keep his shooting decent for some more games, but in the long run he won't be able to sustain his 53% at all.

CSL Champions Image 2028

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

blackice wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:45 pm In terms of pure talent Orlando should be a top 4 seed in the East, it's just a matter of making the pieces fit and finding the right strategy.
Interesting opinion. Can't see top 4 though. With no certain order I see the following teams all ahead of Orlando. Talentwise and skillwise.

Toronto, Boston, Brooklyn, Atlanta, miami, Chicago, Washington, Detroit, Cleveland.

CSL Champions Image 2028

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

Dennis wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:41 pm
Interesting opinion. Can't see top 4 though. With no certain order I see the following teams all ahead of Orlando. Talentwise and skillwise.

Toronto, Boston, Brooklyn, Atlanta, miami, Chicago, Washington, Detroit, Cleveland.
I've got Boston/Detroit/Cleveland as my top 3 (talent wise anyway).
Ball is Life.

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

I tend to agree with Dennis, I don't think we're Top 10 talent or skill-wise... we don't have the "eye" to draft or get guys at #19 (Micheinau) or #26 (Cordinier) who have surprisingly high DEF STL DI for such late late draft picks so we make due with what we have :)

And of course who would sustain a certain percentage with infinite 3's but he shoots much better than you guys ever thought. You created him so I guess you would know best.

ORLANDO
MAGIC:

drumr
Chairman of the Board

Post by drumr »

I had him and I have his scouts. He's a career 33-35% from 3 guy. He's fantastic inside and slashing, but he doesn't do it consistantly. He's really good off the ball beside a more dominant true PG.
Cleveland Cavaliers

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

WillyJakkz wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:12 pm

I tend to agree with Dennis, I don't think we're Top 10 talent or skill-wise... we don't have the "eye" to draft or get guys at #19 (Micheinau) or #26 (Cordinier) who have surprisingly high DEF STL DI for such late late draft picks so we make due with what we have :)

And of course who would sustain a certain percentage with infinite 3's but he shoots much better than you guys ever thought. You created him so I guess you would know best.
I think on Draftday everybody knew what Cordinier will look like. That so many people passed on him was a suprise though. When it comes to the draft you always need the luck that someone else passes on the player you want if you have late picks. Also no one stops you from scouting and trading for picks. So you can do easily the same. Not sure it's having an "eye" for the draft. For example I would say Doug has an "eye" for the draft. Picking Taylor or Austin while having other, higher graded options, during the draft still available I would call having a goold feeling and eye for the draft. Because I think we all cant deny that his picks have been homeruns.

BTW, we traded for Michineau and didnt draft him.

CSL Champions Image 2028

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Post by Rizzo »

Please keep mentioning Brooklyn as a top-4 team. Never gets old!
Career Accolades:
- GM, Cleveland Cavaliers [2013-2018]
- GM, Brooklyn Nets [2018-2030, 2031-Present]
- 0 CSL Championships
- 0 Eastern Conference Championships
- 0 Coach of the Year Awards
- 0 GM of the Year Awards

Rizzo's Hall of Fame Players:
- oCSL Marcus Smart
- SG P.J. Hairston [2015 CSL Draft, Pick 1.16]
- C DeAndre Ayton [2022 CSL Draft, Pick 1.3]
- PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander [2025 CSL Draft, Pick 1.1]

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

Rizzo wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:04 am Please keep mentioning Brooklyn as a top-4 team. Never gets old!
In terms of future assets the Nets are right up there and you guys are outperforming expectations in our division right now. In a few seasons BOS and BKN will be running the East with MIA right up there as well.
Ball is Life.

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

GDP is definitely a good player, and honestly I feel he plays better as a SG too.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

drumr
Chairman of the Board

Post by drumr »

hardenwithnod wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:33 pm GDP is definitely a good player, and honestly I feel he plays better as a SG too.
It's my fault. After I fixed his shooting I had intended to switch his position in the offseason, but I traded him. I think he'd be viewed a lot more positively as a wing.
Cleveland Cavaliers

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

drumr wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:36 pm
hardenwithnod wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:33 pm GDP is definitely a good player, and honestly I feel he plays better as a SG too.
It's my fault. After I fixed his shooting I had intended to switch his position in the offseason, but I traded him. I think he'd be viewed a lot more positively as a wing.
Glad you didn't he has had some very favorable results vs some of the more positively viewed PG's.

1st time he has played with a dominant post player where he can shine but yes he can play SG as well at a high clip. He is a tough lefty player to guard at either position.

I did that with him and Wiggins at PG vs zone happier teams and he & RoCo facilitated greatly.

ORLANDO
MAGIC:

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

WillyJakkz wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:00 pm

1st time he has played with a dominant post player where he can shine
Blake Griffin has circled his calendar for the next CLE/ORL matchup

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

BizGilwalker wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:36 pm
WillyJakkz wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:00 pm

1st time he has played with a dominant post player where he can shine
Blake Griffin has circled his calendar for the next CLE/ORL matchup
Actually GDP has his calendar circled for his big matchup vs Kyrie tomorrow.

He just dismantled Sinar Guler who has been highly hyped the same way he owned Rockets Kemba Walker (he couldn't do that to Detroit Kemba though).

18pts 10asts 4rebs 2stls vs 5 5 5 but more importantly we won.

Looking forward to playing his old team as he continues to dispell the agenda driven myth he can't play PG.

ORLANDO
MAGIC: