League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Clippers Finally Strike in Free Agency

Write snippets about your team or the league here.
Dylan
Senior Vice President

Clippers Finally Strike in Free Agency

Post by Dylan »

Clippers Sign Len and Grant
Alex Len was Dylan's first big signing with the Clippers
The Clippers finally struck in Free Agency on Sunday, with the signings of Alex Len and Jerian Grant. The two 29-year-old veterans were both ecstatic about the move.

"It's good to be wanted and to know that someone thinks you can make a difference in their organization," Grant said. "I've had a roller coaster of a career so far and I've had a lot of different experiences, so I'm excited to come into this organization and give them everything I've got and learned." The 6'5 point guard signed a one-year, veteran's minimum deal.

The more interesting story is that of Alex Len, a 7'1 center who signed for three years at $10.1 million deal, the team's tax mid-level exception. But more interesting then the terms of the deal, are Len's connection to Clippers GM Dylan.

The relationship goes back to Len's time as a star at University of Maryland, where the two met at a fraternity party. The two, along with Miami Heat forward Jake Layman, played a couple rounds of beer pong against each other and proceeded to shotgun a beer afterwards.*

"We've had a connection since then, a positive one," said Dylan. "After beating him in Beer Pong twice, he gained a level of respect for me, a no-name at the time. And you'd be surprised at how quickly a seven-footer can shotgun a beer."

Len had a similar feeling about his new boss, "I have a good relationship with Dylan and I have a lot of respect for him, both as a person and a general manager. I'm excited to join this organization."

Len should be in line for plenty of playing time this season with the future of Greg Monroe in Los Angeles unclear.

*Note: this story is completely true. Jake Layman is/was quite the partier.

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Re: Clippers Finally Strike in Free Agency

Post by Marcos_Beck »

Did you meet those guys in person really?
How cool would it be if you can get Layman as well, make it happen Silo!
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

Dylan
Senior Vice President

Post by Dylan »

Marcos_Beck wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:20 pm Did you meet those guys in person really?
How cool would it be if you can get Layman as well, make it happen Silo!
Yep, one of my childhood best friends' brother played ball at Maryland when Len and Layman were there. The story at the party is really true - I actually played beer pong/shotgunned a beer with them.

He still is good buddies with Layman to this day, don't think he talks to Len anymore though.

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Awesome story :-)

And beside of that, I really like the Len signing for the Clips.

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

Pics or it didn’t happen

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

Also, Len is a solid player. I had him, and he’s that kind of player who isn’t going to lose you any games. He’s not going to win you any games either, but he’s generally solid.

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Good signing on Len, as he's a very solid center who seems to always play above his ratings.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

Dylan
Senior Vice President

Post by Dylan »

Myles wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:02 pm Pics or it didn’t happen
Wish I had pics, but as you could imagine two of the biggest star athletes on campus shotgunning beers at a frat party after playing Clemson probably wouldn't have gone over super well with anyone in charge.

Cleasby
Senior Vice President

Post by Cleasby »

A funny story haha
2020-2021 CSL coach of the year

Ocons
Chairman of the Board

Post by Ocons »

Always cool to have a connection with someone "famous" or well known. I've got a few of those spread out in the MLB and NBA - that I played with, against, or partied with, etc. and my oldest son thinks it's the coolest thing.
Clown.Show.League

ozymandias
Senior Vice President

Post by ozymandias »

I actually grew up in the same 800-people village as the goat Darko. When we were kids, we'd start shouting every time we see him. He still lives there and I see him from time to time when I go to my country house.