League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Season 1 over, what's the future?

Write snippets about your team or the league here.
Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Season 1 over, what's the future?

Post by Andrewu91 »

The Knicks season has ended with a heartbreaking 4-3 loss to the Miami Heat. Now we are left with, what now.

We gave it all our against the Heat, but there was no stopping a prime Ben Simmons and great Kyle Kuzma. If only we stole Game 1, which we were leading after the third, things could have been different. But they're not.

Only winning 43 games, we ended the season just barely sneaking into the playoffs, which is a first in 5 seasons.

With no idea which lineup George DePaula would work best with, we just went with it. And with Markelle Fultz already being verbally traded, we didn't want to play him.

----------------------------------------

The Off Season

This draft, The New York Knicks don't have their first round pick (#16.) That was traded in the Terrance Ferguson trade. At the moment, the draft is not somewhere the Knicks will be looking at for help.

Willie Cauley-Stein, T.J. McConnell, Vince Hunter all have team options. Trey Burke has a player option. If we declined all the options and Trey Burke declined his player option, our salary total will be around 51 million for 8 players. Which would leave us with 12 million in cap space. If Trey Burke accepts his player option, that turns into 7 million. Is it worth declining all the options? Short answer is no.

So yes, I will be accepting all the player options for those players.

What moves can we make? Well, this summer we will dangle around Nassir Little, as he is just not ready yet to compete. His potentials are very nice for a rebuilding team.

Current/Potential ratings:

Inside shooting: 58/62
Outside shooting: 63/68
Free throw shooting: 60/60
Scoring: 62/67
Passing: 52/55
Handles: 68/72
ORB: 64/66
DRB: 60/62
Defense: 81/86
Shot Blocking: 50/53
Stealing: 58/60
Drawing Fouls: 40/44
Discipline: 78/81
Intelligence: 64/69

There has been some rumblings of some quality win now players available this summer. Could Nassir Little be on the way out? Not sure..

Markelle Fultz has been verballed to a playoff caliber team. So he's gone.

What other assets can we give up? Well, a major asset will be a pick we will be receiving in the Markelle Fultz trade. Maybe that pick, along with Little can fetch us a super talented player. Or who knows, maybe we will trade one of our own 1st's.

All in all, the future in my opinion looks very bright, with Zion still oozing with potential. Jaren Jackson Jr. improving a great amount, and, well, George DePaula, who is this guy? Averaging 28ppg - 11apg-7rpg and 2 steals in a 7 game series. He has shown he will be very valuable while he is still only 28 years young.

We won't be trading any of those three players. And we do want to contend so everyone and everything is available.

Thoughts of this past season and future going forward?
Last edited by Andrewu91 on Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Re: Season 1 over, what's the future?

Post by Flaming Homer »

This team played already so much ahead schedule. A few role player here and there and you should be up on top for the foreseeable future. JJJ and Zion's development alone will bring the improvement. GDP proved he can run the show and I still think Ferguson is a great role player.

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Flaming Homer wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:39 pm This team played already so much ahead schedule. A few role player here and there and you should be up on top for the foreseeable future. JJJ and Zion's development alone will bring the improvement. GDP proved he can run the show and I still think Ferguson is a great role player.
Yeah agreed. I wasn't sure if 43 wins was ahead of schedule, but with GDP missing all season, he could have added 10-15 wins by himself, from what I've seen. Also, I like Ferguson but for some reason, he thrives like James Young, in a bench role. He can be plugged in as a 5th starter, but he's inefficient, and sometimes fouls out.
But when he comes off the bench, is when he plays best. I noticed Phoenix did it, but took me some time until I realized it.

Shooting is a weakness still I feel. I want to address that some more.

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

Yeah, anytime you have a franchise player from the start in Zion it helps, but you also have a healthy GDP now, an improving JJJ and some other good role players. You should be even better next year and should battle the Sixers for the division yet again.

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

Really curious to see how you guys do with GDP from the start next season. Gave Miami all they could handle in round 1.

Stockton12
Chairman of the Board

Post by Stockton12 »

keep improving your team ..jjj , zion and gdp are awesome ..wonder what u got for fultz im proud of what you did to the knicks this year and hope they are even stronger next year

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Stockton12 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:53 pm keep improving your team ..jjj , zion and gdp are awesome ..wonder what u got for fultz im proud of what you did to the knicks this year and hope they are even stronger next year
Thanks. Yeah man me too

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

I think you underperformed slightly in the regular season even with GDP out but we saw what this team is when fully healthy and that's a damn scary team. The series with the Heat just showed how deadly this team is and will only get better with Zion leading the charge.

Next season I'd honestly expect you to be top 2 in the east and anything less would be underachieving.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

bt wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:07 am I think you underperformed slightly in the regular season even with GDP out but we saw what this team is when fully healthy and that's a damn scary team. The series with the Heat just showed how deadly this team is and will only get better with Zion leading the charge.

Next season I'd honestly expect you to be top 2 in the east and anything less would be underachieving.
Yeah agreed with the part about winning more games. With a roster I inherited, you would think that. But it's my first year with the new engine and it took lots of experimenting the first 40 games. I think at one point I was 14-21. Changing point was getting some type of point guard in TJ McConnell. Good ole reliable.

Top 2? Hyping me up too much now. Haha