League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Barnes Injured, Hornets Sign Portis

Write snippets about your team or the league here.
ozymandias
Senior Vice President

Post by ozymandias »

5 minutes into the game versus New Orleans Pelicans, the Hornets starting power forward Harrison Barnes had to be carried away into the locker room as he suffered a bruised calf. Despite the injury, the Hornets managed to get a W due to stellar performances from Trae Young and Kris Dunn.

Barnes is expected to miss the next two weeks with the other Hornets power forward Christian Wood expected to return from a broken hand a week later. With big games against Boston Celtics, Atlanta Hawks and Memphis Grizzlies coming up, the front office decided to bring a power forward to act as a replacement for Barnes. They signed former Arkansas power forward Bobby Portis on a minimum deal until the end of the season. Last year, Portis had a successful spell with the Pistons when he was acting as a replacement for injured Bam Adebayo but was unable to land a deal in the CSL ever since. With the Pistons, Portis averaged 9.4 points and 5.4 rebounds in 53 games.

Portis has a relatively similar playstyle to Harrison Barnes and shouldn’t have trouble blending into the squad. Angel Delgado and Landen Lucas are also expected to feature for the Hornets at the power forward spot. In order to make roster space for Portis, the Hornets had to cut Phil Pressey who only appeared twice for the team this season.

After beating the Lakers in Charlotte, the Hornets are sitting at 28-20 and are currently fifth in the Eastern playoff race. The front office hopes the addition of Portis will help the team stay relevant even during the absence of both Barnes and Wood.

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Re: Barnes Injured, Hornets Sign Portis

Post by WillyJakkz »

Luckily it wasn't worse, you guys are playing really well and have a case as the best backcourt in the League with Young 'N Dunn.

Barnes has been good this season.

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF D Bane
PF S Barnes| C M Williams

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

Surprised Portis was available in free agency. Figured he was on a team somewhere. I think he can be a decent stopgap forward in limited minutes.

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

Yeah, Portis is a very solid player to pick up off the scrap heap. He won't take over games, but he won't hurt you either and could definitely spot start.

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Yeah, I was surprised to hear he's in FA as well, as he always had some good moments, but his inconsistency with his efficiency has always been his biggest problem.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

Stockton12
Chairman of the Board

Post by Stockton12 »

I knew portis was avail .i did look at him and probally should have picked up him ..good solid signing

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Post by Rizzo »

KW wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:53 pm Surprised Portis was available in free agency. Figured he was on a team somewhere. I think he can be a decent stopgap forward in limited minutes.
Exactly what I was thinking. Portis is a legit player and deserves to be on a roster. Good find to hold down the fort.
Career Accolades:
- GM, Cleveland Cavaliers [2013-2018]
- GM, Brooklyn Nets [2018-2030, 2031-Present]
- 0 CSL Championships
- 0 Eastern Conference Championships
- 0 Coach of the Year Awards
- 0 GM of the Year Awards

Rizzo's Hall of Fame Players:
- oCSL Marcus Smart
- SG P.J. Hairston [2015 CSL Draft, Pick 1.16]
- C DeAndre Ayton [2022 CSL Draft, Pick 1.3]
- PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander [2025 CSL Draft, Pick 1.1]