League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Indiana after 10

Write updates about your team or the league here.
TheTwoWallaces
CEO

Indiana after 10

Post by TheTwoWallaces »

With 10 games in the books, it's time to look at how things are shaping up for the Indiana Pacers under their new GM/Coach TheTwoWallaces.

Unfortunately, at the 10-game mark the Pacers find themselves at 4-6, leaving them with the 3rd to worst record in the Eastern Conference. They're currently on a 2-game losing skid, and have gone 2-5 in their last 7 games.

To make matters worse, Steph Curry, acquired in the offseason in exchange for Victor Oladipo, is currently out with a sprained toe. Without Curry, the Pacers are being forced to rely heavily on rookies Okobo and Okogie. While both rookies have shown signs of promise, it certainly remains evident that they are not ready for starter-level minutes, leaving the Pacers with a hole at the 2-spot.

Also of concern has been the play of newly-acquired PG Emmanuel Mudiay. Through 10 games, the former Laker is putting up 9 PPG, 4 APG, and 3.4 RPG on only 39% shooting and a horrid 27% from three. When asked about the play of Mudiay, TheTwoWallaces swiftly replied,
He's young, he's talented, but he has to adjust to our Indiana approach. So far, his defense has been there, but his offense has clearly not. He'll be given the minutes necessary to correct it, and he knows that. Until then, we'll be patient.
Mudiay, brought in to shore up a desperately shallow PG role, has yet to figure out his role in an offense that centers around big men Justise Winslow, Semi Ojeleye, and Kevin Love. However, the Pacers do have time on their side, as Mudiay, like many of their new acquisitions, is still young and under contract for another 4 seasons.

Meanwhile, defensive stalwart and fan favorite Justise Winslow, who inked a 5-year deal this offseason, has been off to another very solid start to the season. Through 10 games, Winslow is averaging 16 PPG on 46% shooting and 2 SPG. He has also resumed his usual role of shutting down the best opposing player. However, Winslow's solid play has clearly not been enough to offset other issues.

To put things in a little perspective, these opening 10 games were no cake walk. The franchise played playoff regulars such as Sacramento, Cleveland, Detroit, Miami, and Boston(2x). Also, the team continues to be without Justin Patton, who is schedule to return from his knee injury sometime next week.

The Pacers are eagerly awaiting the debut of Patton, who tore a knee tendon last season.

Moving forward, the Pacers GM spoke strongly of the need to keep on going with the rebuild.
We have trades lined up that will be shipping out 6 current players, all with the intent of bringing in more promising young players. We're very excited to see how this team looks come Day 30, and even more excited to take our time and play with the pieces we have and the pieces we will be getting. I came here to undertake a sizable rebuilding project, and I think the first step in that is developing a team identity. By this time next week, I hope to see the first glimpses of that identity. After that, we just have to win some basketball games.
DETROIT BASKETBALL

Krejci | Melton | Campazzo
Porter | Notice | King
Johnson | Kispert
McDaniels | Martin | Petrusev
Wiseman | Stewart

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Re: Indiana after 10

Post by KW »

I think the Pacers are who most of us expected. A decent team that shows a bit of promise but is still a bit away from contending for a playoff spot. I'm not going to harp on the day 30 deal that I know of, but you have a lot of talented youngsters. Still I think you need that one elite talent to get over the hump, more than a cluster of good-not-great players.

Patton will also be a very addition to your team, he's more of a next-engine prospect in my opinion, but he'll be good for you. He scores inside and outside, and will do everything you want a center to do. The 3rd year endurance boost should do wonders for him.

Ramcus
CEO

Post by Ramcus »

I'm really excited to see which 6 players you have shipped out. It's a smart decision to go full young core, and I'm glad to see that you're taking the team in a direction.
Stay Me7o Image
NOLA 2022-2030: 292-364
BRK 2030-2031: Interim GM/Coach | CSL Champion
LAC 2031-present

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

6 players? That's a lot of change.

As it is I would say you would still be a decent team who is able to win some surprising games. Probably not enough yet to qualify for a playoff spot since the east this year is good and deep. But who knows.

But lets see who is coming in, who is going out ...

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Keep Winslow. He will be very good in the new engine
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

This team has changed quite drastically since then. Stick with a plan, and I think this team can have a solid future.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis