League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Indiana Pacers Season Preview - The Black Box

Write updates about your team or the league here.
TheTwoWallaces
Senior Vice President

Indiana Pacers Season Preview - The Black Box

Post by TheTwoWallaces »

“The dark dangerous forest is still there, my friends. Beyond the space of the astronauts and the astronomers, beyond the dark, tangled regions of Freudian and Jungian psychiatry, beyond the dubious psi-realms of Dr. Rhine, beyond the areas policed by the commissars and priests and motivations-research men, far, far beyond the mad, beat, half-hysterical laughter... the utterly unknown still is and the eerie and ghostly lurk, as much wrapped in mystery as ever...I believe it is somewhere in central Indiana."

Heading into the 23-24 season, the Pacers are one of the CSL's most unpredictable franchises. With the season only a few weeks away, the known unknowns outweigh the known knowns:

Who's their starting 5?
Who's been verballed?
Will Okobo play significant minutes?
Will Love be traded?
Is Winslow going to prove his defensive dominance w/out Oladipo?
Can Ojeleye take the next step?
What kind of offense do they run?
Can their GM even coach?
Can they crush the dreams of the LA Lakers by escaping the lottery?
Who the fuck is even on this roster?

However, there is one known: This season will be interesting for the Pacer faithful. And, with active management, this season should be a breath of fresh air after a few seasons of stumbling and bumbling.

A quick glance at their topsy-turvy roster does reveal some interesting potential pairings:

Winslow, on his new, team-friendly contract, will be flexing between the 3 and the 4, depending on the matchup. Alongside Jimmy Butler, the team still has the typical Pacer ability to lock down wing weapons.
Steph Curry, despite his age, can provide needed floor-spacing in an intriguing backcourt pairing with 4-year vet Emmanuel Mudiay.
Semi Ojeleye, TJ Leaf, and Justin Patton all provide a similar, floor spacing, all around approach to the frontcourt. It'll be difficult for anyone to assess who of these players remain Pacers for long, but for now there seems to be a preferred style of big men in Indiana.
Kevin Love, the rebounding/scoring machine, will help the Pacers crash the offensive glass, and that'll be needed with some of their less efficient shooters.
Rookie Elie Okobo's development will be closely monitored. If he can provide offensive firepower, the Pacers may have found a perfect pairing for Justise Winslow.
Jo-Lual Acuil and Guerschon Yabusele will fight it out for the occasional minutes down low.
Rookie Josh Okogie will take his time and the franchise hopes to see him develop into a future 3&D piece.

When it's all said and done, there are some pieces floating around Indiana. What the final puzzle will look like? Your guess is as good as mine.

Justise Winslow is a player on the Indiana Pacers....We think.

It is believed that Kevin Love still goes to work in Indianapolis every morning.

Steph Curry is rumored to be renting an apartment in Indiana. It is unknown if he will still be a Pacer come all-star weekend.
DETROIT BASKETBALL

Krejci | Campazzo
Porter | Notice | King
Kispert | Martin
Johnson | McDaniels
Wiseman | Stewart | Petrusev

Ramcus
CEO

Re: Indiana Pacers Season Preview - The Black Box

Post by Ramcus »

Interesting. Your team isn't good enough to truly contend, but it also isn't bad enough to truly tank.

Hot take of the season: By the trade deadline, you will have traded Curry, moved Mudiay to the 2, and started Okobo, to truly start growing your young pieces. I like your young pieces, but I'm not sure that they're "championship" material come long term. I feel like this will be a big year for a couple of your younger players, to see whether or not they can take that step forward and be more of a leader.

Good Luck!
Stay Me7o Image
NOLA 2022-2030: 292-364
BRK 2030-2031: Interim GM/Coach | CSL Champion
LAC 2031-present

Stockton12
Chairman of the Board

Post by Stockton12 »

I think you might just sneak into the playoffs if u keep the current roster ..depends on what u do

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

Not sure what happens with this team as we were in talks so there definitely will be a move made.

Oddly enough though there is fringe PO potential with the current guys.

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF K Middleton |
PF W Kessler | C M Williams

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

WillyJakkz wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:52 am Not sure what happens with this team as we were in talks so there definitely will be a move made.

Oddly enough though there is fringe PO potential with the current guys.
Agreed
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

I've heard of a few moves that have been on the table for you, and depending which one you took (if either) would take you in a different direction. I think the biggest thing this team needs, especially new gms is to pick a path and before agreeing to a deal look at in the aspect of how this trade will help me in that path.

If it's to win and contend, look at your as if you made the trade and see how your team would then stack up against the conference elite and see which assets you would have remaining to further get you to them.

If it's to rebuild/retool decide how it affects your draft slot potential, your future cap space, and the potential of any young assets.

Getting a path and sticking to it are the biggest things. If there is anything that will get a team stuck in being forever irrelevant is constantly changing their plans.
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done

TheTwoWallaces
Senior Vice President

Post by TheTwoWallaces »

OneNole wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:38 pm I've heard of a few moves that have been on the table for you, and depending which one you took (if either) would take you in a different direction. I think the biggest thing this team needs, especially new gms is to pick a path and before agreeing to a deal look at in the aspect of how this trade will help me in that path.

If it's to win and contend, look at your as if you made the trade and see how your team would then stack up against the conference elite and see which assets you would have remaining to further get you to them.
Oh this team has been very transparent that it’s rebuilding. But the trade market is still a place where if a high value deal gives you a net asset gain even if it’s against the rebuild, then I think you have to take it. I don’t think any of my deals have done that, though.
DETROIT BASKETBALL

Krejci | Campazzo
Porter | Notice | King
Kispert | Martin
Johnson | McDaniels
Wiseman | Stewart | Petrusev

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

OneNole wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:38 pm I've heard of a few moves that have been on the table for you, and depending which one you took (if either) would take you in a different direction. I think the biggest thing this team needs, especially new gms is to pick a path and before agreeing to a deal look at in the aspect of how this trade will help me in that path.

If it's to rebuild/retool decide how it affects your draft slot potential, your future cap space, and the potential of any young assets.

Getting a path and sticking to it are the biggest things. If there is anything that will get a team stuck in being forever irrelevant is constantly changing their plans.
What Brett said. No idea's about potential moves or whatsoever. But I think the GMs with a clear plan are the ones that are constantly winning for quiet some seasons now and are the ones that are (nearly) always in the playoffs. Think of Phoenix or Sacramento who rebuilt in the beginning and have been elite ever since or Miami who targeted new joiners traded for picks and built their team through the draft. Only guy who always wins despite retooling his team into so many different types of teams is Jon. He wins with whatever he has by his hand lol. But I assume that's just one of those commish privilige things.
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

Dennis wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:06 pm

What Brett said. No idea's about potential moves or whatsoever. But I think the GMs with a clear plan are the ones that are constantly winning for quiet some seasons now and are the ones that are (nearly) always in the playoffs. Think of Phoenix or Sacramento who rebuilt in the beginning and have been elite ever since or Miami who targeted new joiners traded for picks and built their team through the draft. Only guy who always wins despite retooling his team into so many different types of teams is Jon. He wins with whatever he has by his hand lol. But I assume that's just one of those commish privilige things.
You have miami confused with Boston. Ive made one bad trade with a new joiner and i didnt even put that trade together. i was a noob myself and just agreed to the trade. When it comes to robbing teams for picks i am a step or two below You. What did you give up for miles bridges/fox/skal/gbi/cord/knox/mich again?

drumr
Chairman of the Board

Post by drumr »

Oh I know! Nothing lol. That Papa trade is still just wow.
Cleveland Cavaliers

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

For fox, skal McL I gave up Westbrook, pick 10 a few years ago and a celtics first. For Michineau I have up trice. Gbinije I got for Avery Bradley. For miles bridges I have up Justin Patton. Cordi i picked with a Celtic first. Knox I can’t remember anymore tbh.

CSL Champions Image 2028

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

Dennis wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:58 pm For fox, skal McL I gave up Westbrook, pick 10 a few years ago and a celtics first. For Michineau I have up trice. Gbinije I got for Avery Bradley. For miles bridges I have up Justin Patton. Cordi i picked with a Celtic first. Knox I can’t remember anymore tbh.
So in the end you gave up westbrook and some of your junky 1sts for the team you have now. You claim marcos is the best used car salesman but i think you can easily make the claim you are the best.

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Silogical wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:02 pm
Dennis wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:58 pm For fox, skal McL I gave up Westbrook, pick 10 a few years ago and a celtics first. For Michineau I have up trice. Gbinije I got for Avery Bradley. For miles bridges I have up Justin Patton. Cordi i picked with a Celtic first. Knox I can’t remember anymore tbh.
So in the end you gave up westbrook and some of your junky 1sts for the team you have now. You claim marcos is the best used car salesman but i think you can easily make the claim you are the best.
Westbrook is a two time champ and pick 10 is valuable too. So I think it's fair. But maybe we can ask bt what he thinks lol.

CSL Champions Image 2028

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

Dennis wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:04 pm
Silogical wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:02 pm
Westbrook is a two time champ and pick 10 is valuable too. So I think it's fair. But maybe we can ask bt what he thinks lol.
Where did pick 10 come from?

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

In 15-16 your roster was Dragic(29)/Paul(30)/Josh Smith(29) without ever having to miss the playoffs you built what you have now. Try to convince anyone you arnt a better used car salesman than marcos.
Last edited by Silogical on Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

By sending trash to Minnesota for their pick. Kidding.

It was Westbrook for two firsts and mcl. One of those first was pick 10. Which we used (plus future first) for trading up to 6 (skal).

CSL Champions Image 2028

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Silogical wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:17 pm In 15-16 your roster was Dragic(29)/Paul(30)/Josh Smith(29) without ever having to miss the playoffs you built what you have now. Try to convince anyone you arnt a better used car salesman than marcos.
Yet never won GMOY:(

CSL Champions Image 2028

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

Dennis wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:19 pm By sending trash to Minnesota for their pick. Kidding.

It was Westbrook for two firsts and mcl. One of those first was pick 10. Which we used (plus future first) for trading up to 6 (skal).
westbrook For fox, skal McL I gave up Westbrook, pick 10 a few years ago and a celtics first.
You are very deceiving which probably comes in handy in trade negotiations. In this quote you claim you gave up westbrook and pick 10 but you got pick 10 for westbrook. So you turned westbrook/celtics 1st into fox skal b-mac and this is your go to trade you always bring up when discussing the fair trades youve made.
Last edited by Silogical on Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Silogical wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:27 pm
Dennis wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:19 pm By sending trash to Minnesota for their pick. Kidding.

westbrook For fox, skal McL I gave up Westbrook, pick 10 a few years ago and a celtics first.
You are very deceiving which probably comes in handy in trade negotiations. In this quote you claim you gave up westbrook and pick 10 but you got pick 10 for westbrook. So you turned westbrook into fox skal b-mac and this is your go to trade you always bring up when discussing the fair trades youve made.
What did you give up for all the firsts again? Especially interested in the minny ones haha

CSL Champions Image 2028

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

Dennis wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:32 pm
Silogical wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:27 pm

You are very deceiving which probably comes in handy in trade negotiations. In this quote you claim you gave up westbrook and pick 10 but you got pick 10 for westbrook. So you turned westbrook into fox skal b-mac and this is your go to trade you always bring up when discussing the fair trades youve made.
What did you give up for all the firsts again? Especially interested in the minny ones haha
Jamaal murray
kevin looney
nop 1st (lottery)

The thing is i wont go around taking shots at GMS for things they dont even do. I could add in every post you target new joiners. If I did do that i should expect you to come back at me with some facts. If you say something it better be facts or ill come back at you.