League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Four Lottery Teams Set for a Playoff Run

Write updates about your team or the league here.
Dylan
Senior Vice President

Four Lottery Teams Set for a Playoff Run

Post by Dylan »

Today we'll look at which of last season's bottom feeders are best set up for a potential playoff run in the 2023-2024 season. With an eventful off-season beginning to wind down and pretty much all the big difference making free agents gone, a few lottery teams have set themselves up nicely with smart, sound moves. Let's take a look:

1.Brooklyn Nets Image
Record Last season: 45-37
Key Additions: Marcus Derrickson, Tyler Ennis
Key Departures: D'Angelo Russell

The Nets are the cop out answer in this, so we'll spend the least amount of time on them. The Nets struck out on all the top free agents they chased, namely Bryce Cotton who would have filled a need perfectly. Then they let D'Angelo Russell, a quality combo guard but best suited for a sixth man role, walk in free agency to the Lakers. Not matching a max contract for Russell was the better long term play, but it definitely hurts them in the short term.

Despite the losses though, the Nets are still in position to contend for the playoffs this year. They're still a team that has plenty of talent. DeAndre Ayton should take some sort of leap in his second year, Rashad Vaughn is one of the best shooters in the league, Tyler Ennis is still an upgrade at point guard and Pascal Siakam, Malachi Richardson, Myles Turner and Jonathan Isaac are all good pieces. We'll see if Marcus Derrickson can contribute as a rookie, but I think he's a couple years away.

In an Eastern conference that is littered with solid, mid-tier playoff teams, we'll see if the Nets can get over the hump this year after missing out by just a game last year. Without landing that big time point guard though, it's definitely going to be harder.

2.San Antonio Spurs Image
Record Last season: 26-56
Key Additions: Montrezl Harrell, Dion Waiters, TJ Warren, Al-Farouq Aminu
Key Departures: Jahlil Okafor, Mike Conley

The Spurs are a surprise team to find themselves in this article after finishing with the fourth worst record last season and surrendering a top 5 pick to the Pistons. Still with a pair of really good moves, and some really strong post-trade play from Terry Rozier, the Spurs could very well find themselves in the thick of the playoff race in the West next season.

Looking at the Spurs additions vs. departures this offseason is a thing of beauty. For what they gave up (plus a future first round pick), they got a hell of a haul. Okafor is a slightly overrated big man and Conley is on his last legs and nothing more than a backup point guard at this point, while Waiters is a quite good (albeit slightly overpaid) two-way wing, Harrell is a rock solid starter and Warren and Aminu are some solid depth. Add that to Rozier, Davis Bertans, and the young and improving Mo Bamba and Frank Ntilikina, the Spurs have themselves a really good rotation.

They may not be the second best team on this list next season, but with those moves and a relatively weak bottom half of the West, they're set up to be in playoff contention this year.

3.New Orleans Pelicans Image
Record Last season: 30-52
Key Additions: Paul George, Moe Harkless
Key Departures: Roy Devyn Marble, Chandler Parsons

With the free agent acquisition of Paul George, the Pelicans will likely be able to autopilot themselves to the playoffs in the West Moe Harkless is really good as well, especially for what they gave up. However, despite adding to very good players, consider me skeptical.

Combining Paul George, even at age 34, with Anthony Davis, is pretty much an automatic playoff bid. Even if the team around them is a mess, which make no mistake, it absolutely is. Beyond the two stars and Moe Harkless, the Pelicans roster is very, very weak. Joe Jackson is ok, but should absolutely not be a starting point guard. Brandon Jennings can add some value as a bench spark plug, but he's terribly inefficient and a bad defender. Brice Johnson is a solid backup big, but he's no more than that. And that's... it. Those are the only other CSL rotation players they have, and none of them are really even average.

On top of that, they don't really have any path to getting better. They don't have their first this upcoming year and none of the other guys have much trade value. Right now, their only real trade asset is their 2026 1st, but they may want to be weary of trading a pick that'll take place when Paul George is 36 and Anthony Davis isn't under contract.

For a team that's really three players deep, they'll be pretty good. But I think they max out as a sixth seed as currently constructed and are going to have a real hard time finding a way to improve beyond what they already have.

4.Utah Jazz Image
Record Last season: 34-48
Key Additions: De'Anthony Melton
Key Departures: Bryce Cotton

Despite losing Bryce Cotton in free agency and not really adding anyone of note just yet, the Jazz are likely in line to find themselves in the playoff race. Their key additions happened at the trade deadline, when they added Kyrie Irving and Daniel Hamilton, two terrific players with good skill-sets, and their post-deadline record showed as much.

In a weak West, the Jazz could find themselves in the top 8 with a full season of the Kyrie and KP combination. With nice role pieces in Fuquan Edwin, Gorgui Dieng and Jalen Jones, the Jazz have just enough around Kyrie, KP and Daniel Hamilton to really compete for a playoff spot.
Last edited by Dylan on Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Re: Four Lottery Teams Set for a Playoff Run

Post by Jestor »

I honestly wouldn't put the Nets here - I think the downgrade from Russell to Ennis hurts far too much and Derrickson's light won't come on until the switch to 19.

Spurs have the talent on paper, but they need Frank N to recover from a hugely disappointing rookie season and for their GM to get help with how to coach to maximize their pieces.

New Orleans need their big 3 to stay healthy, but if they do, they get in.

Jazz probably make it. Melton as a key addition is a joke - he's raw as hell and his scouting looked awful. It's been a bad offseason for them, but last year's pickups on a full season should see them through.

I'd add you guys as a 5th team. Inglis was a major pickup and though Capela was surplus to Chicago's requirements, he should fill a key role for you guys, even though he underperforms his ratings in 3. And Sexton was one of the bigger draft steals.

Dylan
Senior Vice President

Post by Dylan »

Jestor wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:35 am Melton as a key addition is a joke - he's raw as hell and his scouting looked awful.
I only put him because he’s their only addition right now :lol: :lol:

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Post by Rizzo »

Thanks for the writeup but I definitely don't see us making the playoffs. Our team got worse and we weren't in the playoffs last year while I think the teams I would be competing with - Cleveland and Washington - got better. We aren't ready for the playoffs and we may be in selling mode.
Career Accolades:
- GM, Cleveland Cavaliers [2013-2018]
- GM, Brooklyn Nets [2018-2030, 2031-Present]
- 0 CSL Championships
- 0 Eastern Conference Championships
- 0 Coach of the Year Awards
- 0 GM of the Year Awards

Rizzo's Hall of Fame Players:
- oCSL Marcus Smart
- SG P.J. Hairston [2015 CSL Draft, Pick 1.16]
- C DeAndre Ayton [2022 CSL Draft, Pick 1.3]
- PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander [2025 CSL Draft, Pick 1.1]

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

Haha, looks like Dylan wrote this article just a hair early on Brooklyn, as they’ve decided to go back into rebuild mode. Side note: I think it’s pretty odd to go back into rebuild mode just because you lost Russell. He’s a solid player, but losing a fringe starter / quality bench player is no reason to blow it all back up. Especially since they’ve been rebuilding for a while now. They missed out on the playoffs last year by 1 freaking game in one of the tightest playoff races I’ve ever seen. The addition of Ennis should mitigate the loss of Russell, and the improvement of their young guys should have been good enough to take them into the playoffs. I can see why Dylan picked them to make the playoffs before Adam decided to blow it up again.

I think some teams change their mind way too frequently on whether to compete or rebuild, and some others try to rebuild for what seems like forever (I honestly think some GMs just like the idea of drafting high and want like 4 to 5 superstars before trying to compete). Find a couple core pieces and start building your team up. You can draft good surrounding pieces as you’re building, and supplement your roster with some free agent finds along the way.

The Spurs should take major strides this year. Between the great additions of Harrell and Waiters and the development of Nkitlina and Bamba, the Spurs look much better from a personnel standpoint. And they have scary Terry to lead the team. They’re in a much improved division though, so now we find out what kind of coaching skills they have.

The Pelicans are definitely improved with the signing of George. They’re extremely top heavy though between George and Davis. If either of them goes down, they’re done. Harkless is a good supporting option on a team like this. And like is pointed out, they don’t have any assets to further improve their team or depth. Unless they trade their 26 1st, which would be a very, very inadvisable and short-sighted decision as Dylan pointed out. I guarantee GMs will come after it though. Just be smart there.

Jazz should be interesting. I don’t think Cotton was a great fit there anyway, so losing him shouldn’t hurt the Jazz too much. This team will go as far as Irving and Porzingis take them. I think they’ll compete for a playoff spot, but it’s going to be competitive for the final few playoff spots.
Last edited by GreenBear on Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dylan
Senior Vice President

Post by Dylan »

GreenBear wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:37 pm Haha, looks like Dylan wrote this article just a hair early on Brooklyn, as they’ve decided to go back into rebuild mode. Side note: I think it’s pretty odd to go back into rebuild mode just because you lost Russell. He’s a solid player, but losing a fringe starter / quality bench player is no reason to blow it all back up. Especially since they’ve been rebuilding for a while now. They missed out on the playoffs last year by 1 freaking game in one of the tightest playoff races I’ve ever seen. The addition of Ennis should mitigate the loss of Russell, and the improvement of their young guys should have been good enough to take them into the playoffs. I can see why Dylan picked them to make the playoffs before Adam decided to blow it up again.
Yup I had pretty much written all of it by the time he decided not to match Russell lol so I went with it anyway.

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

I see San Antonio making postseason, they have a really complete roster right now.
The Pels will need to add depth to AD / PG as we've seen before in CSL superstars are not enough to win.
Brooklyn walked 2 steps back and is looking to become a better team for the future so their year probably isnt now, since the east is still really strong..
About Utah.. There's a lot of top tier talent and even some good depth there. If Kevin stops complaining and focus on making his team play ball, they are probably gonna be up there for 5th / 6th in the West. Cotton leaving was beneficial for them, more opportunities for Kyrie to shine with KP.
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

wms02a
CEO

Post by wms02a »

Jestor wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:35 am
Spurs have the talent on paper, but they need Frank N to recover from a hugely disappointing rookie season and for their GM to get help with how to coach to maximize their pieces.
I need to put together an article and analysis on FrankyN but Pre and Post Terry trade FrankN are night and day. Moving him back to PG and adjusting to Man to Man D made a huge difference. My experiment w him at SG just deflated his stats soo much that overall it looked like an underwhelming season

Same can be said about Pre and Post Bertans... completely different player
Dallas Maverick GM

2024: San Antonio Spurs - Southwest Division Champion, GM of the Year, Coach of the Year
2025: San Antonio Spurs - Western Conference Champions

Ocons
Chairman of the Board

Post by Ocons »

Thanks for the article. I think we are going to be a struggle to make the playoffs. Not because we lost Cotton, that will have minimal impact, but because I don't think we have enough depth. Cotton wasn't taking any shots away from anyone so to think he frees anything up is silly. We did have a plan to roll Kyrie out at PG to have the ball in his hands as much as possible.

Surprised at how improved the Spurs look, so quickly. Nice work.
Clown.Show.League

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Honestly I see the Jazz, and Pelicans fighting it out for the playoffs, I think the Spurs's progress will really depend on how much Bamba, and Frank N develops in this training camp.

Meanwhile I believe Brooklyn is going towards a rebuild? So I am not sure if they will make it in.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis