League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Toronto Raptors 2022-23 Season Review

Write updates about your team or the league here.
blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

The last man standing, Joseph is just entering his prime and we couldn't be happier

The Toronto Raptors go into next season with a decidedly different flavour. It was obvious to most last season that I wanted to honour Chilli’s fantastic GMing job and made very few moves. Nick Johnson was moved in a S&T for Allen Crabbe and Cousins left for Waiters but the core of the team stayed intact all season. Cory Joseph, Jordan Bell, and Mr. Toronto Kawhi Leonard survived a GM with an itchy trigger finger in regards to trades. The season was somewhat of a success and we finished at #5 in the East and lost a tough series to the uber talented Dante Exum and the Atlanta Hawks. It was a bitter pill to swallow and spurned a revamping of the roster. Looking at the East, Boston and Miami are elite and young, somewhat mirroring Phoenix and Sacramento out West. Chicago, Atlanta and Detroit are right up there as well. Washington could vault way up to the top of the conference depending on their FA success. The East is no longer behind the West and the league is filled with talented GM’s, and as such trades have become much harder to come by. Everyone is positioned to either make a run at the title or go down the slow rebuild route (see Lakers/Bucks/etc.).

Carroll will bring his unique brand of shooting and defense and replaces Kawhi as the starting SF

Going into next season the keys to the proverbial car are now firmly in Cory Joseph’s capable hands. What is the common denominator amongst the best teams? Strong, two way play at the PG position. It isn’t necessarily about having a prolific passer at that position proven by Payton’s success with the Kings (who is now on Cleveland). Phoenix doesn’t have an elite PG but he has such a strong supporting cast it isn’t relevant and even Doug has pontificated that an upgrade from T.J. McConnell might be in the works. Joseph mirrors championship lead guards like Eric Bledsoe and Kemba Walker. He can defend at a high level and provides close to elite scoring and efficient offence.

The roster construction makes one thing perfectly clear - this is a team that will defend at a high level. After carefully taking a look at the league we knew making the finals out of either conference would not be easy. As such, we decided to put a heavy emphasis on defence and our team can be defined by our switchability. There are no weak links defensively and we have the versatility there to throw an elite defender at any position. The bench is also quite potent and we are following the model many other GM’s have adopted.

Maybe the best defender in the league and a guy that gives you a bit of everything on the other end.

To say this team is offensively challenged has merit and we have heard from our peers here that we’ll have trouble scoring and no longer have a 1st option offensively. This might be true - time will tell. I don’t put a huge emphasis on high SCR ratings and we believe a ball movement offense and increasing Joseph’s shots and USG% will be just fine for us. We have an elite low post option in Okafor who should develop from a very solid 17/8 w/ 1.7 blks on 49 FG% to a 20/10 threat every night. The rest of the scoring will be by committee.

In terms of the rotation the starting forwards comprise of DeMarre Carroll at SF and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist at PF with Okafor at C, and a backcourt of Crabbe at SG with Joseph at PG.

Starting 5
Cory Joseph - 19/3/5 on 45/43/80 [1.4 3PA]
Allen Crabbe - 10/3/2 on 42/36/86 [3.8 3PA]
DeMarre Carroll - 10/4/2 w/ 1.4 stls on 44/39/74 [5.1 3PA]
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist - 14/8/2 w/ 1.3 blks & 1.5 stls on 54 FG%
Jahlil Okafor - 17/8 w/ 1.7 blks & 0.7 stls on 49 FG%

6th Man
Nerlens Noel - 9/6 w/ 1.4 blks & 0.8 stls on 55 FG% in 23 MPG

Bench
Mike Conley - 9/2/3 on 45/44/82 in 20.6 MPG
Jordan Bell - 7/8/4 w/ 1.1 blks & 0.9 stls on 44 FG% in
Nigel Williams-Goss - Injury Reserve
JP Macura
Antonius Cleveland

We'll be targeting a wing shooter or two in FA to round out the team. We feel this is a team that can compete on both ends and lock down on the defensive end. We wouldn't be shocked if the starting 5 will be intact all season while the bench needs some work and we will do our due diligence on the trade market as well as free agency.
Last edited by blackice on Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ball is Life.

wms02a
CEO

Re: Toronto Raptors 2022-23 Season Review

Post by wms02a »

I will be interested in who you can grab in return for Bell... I am assuming you are trying to find a SG to possibly start. If you can find a strong shooter you should have a great season next year
Dallas Maverick GM

2024: San Antonio Spurs - Southwest Division Champion, GM of the Year, Coach of the Year
2025: San Antonio Spurs - Western Conference Champions

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

That was indeed a BI off-season so far. Let the trades roll :-)
I like the defensive potential of this new Toronto team. The SG position probably could use an upgrade.
So far it looks almost like Crabbe has to be the #1 scoring option, shared with Joseph.

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

MKG is the glue guy. Never trade him lol.
Carroll is a great piece. Makes bunch of threes in the 40% range.

All you need now is to package the leftovers and trade them + any picks for a scoring star to compliment the lineup
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

I like the fact that you’re making moves to try to upgrade a roster that reached its full potential. That’s probably for the best when trying to take a step forward
Just sad Waiters left, would’ve been fantastic!
You need a go-to-scorer to alleviate tension from guys like Joseph or Okafor. That’s a very important thing in order to contend.
At the end of the day if you bring in a roster better than last year’s one with Kawhi, uou’ll be ok. Kawhi is good, he’s not great, so definitely you can add something great and complete that challenge.
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

drumr
Chairman of the Board

Post by drumr »

Yeah looking at Kawhi's ratings and how he should start his regression arc along with Bledsloe and Klay it's not as strange as it seems initially. Still think that if you smother Joseph this team should be easy to beat, but you aren't done so lets wait for the finished product.
Cleveland Cavaliers

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

This team is going to be a force on defense, however the lack of spacing/offense could be a big problem, especially during the playoffs, so I am sure you will need to make some moves to increase your floor spacing/offense.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

Thanks for the feedback guys. Funnily enough even knowing what I know now and knowing the slight roster in balance it would cause I’d do the okafor deal without a doubt. Waiters is great but I am VERY high on Okafor and given his age and production I’d rather build around him and Joseph and see what I can surround them with.
Ball is Life.

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

*Added Antonius Cleveland and JP Macura*
Ball is Life.

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

A lot of moves this summer in Toronto.
Overall the defense character seems to be still the base.
For me it is very interesting to see who is developing in the new alpha after Kawhi's departure.

Stockton12
Chairman of the Board

Post by Stockton12 »

Your bench is going to be the problem ..good team thou

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

Too many Beta's no Alpha Player here. Team will struggle to score, not seeing the PO's unless another key move is made.

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF D Bane
PF S Barnes| C M Williams

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

WillyJakkz wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:55 am Too many Beta's no Alpha Player here. Team will struggle to score, not seeing the PO's unless another key move is made.
Interesting take, I think we have enough scoring to offset the loss of Kawhi but time will tell.
Ball is Life.

Cyrisnyte
General Manager

Post by Cyrisnyte »

Like the defense as many have mentioned with the Raptors. You know I tried to make a move for MKG myself with you but you were smart to pass. I think you need more scoring, my personal opinion but I also know you are always working the trade market so I have no doubt you will figure it out.
Harrison -- Young --- ZDK --- AA --- WCJ
Duval -- O'Neale -- Okeke -- Reid -- N'Diaye

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

Defense alone this team should win 41 games. But is that enough in an increasingly deep Eastern conference? I think this team, as currently constructed, will finish anywhere from 6th to 10th in the east and would find myself more surprised if they finish 6th as opposed to 10th.
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

OneNole wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:41 am Defense alone this team should win 41 games. But is that enough in an increasingly deep Eastern conference? I think this team, as currently constructed, will finish anywhere from 6th to 10th in the east and would find myself more surprised if they finish 6th as opposed to 10th.
Another interesting take, we were the 5th seed just this past season with a lesser team but again, time will tell. In terms of finishing 10th potentially I'd love to hear 9 better teams in the east though. Still, always appreciate the feedback.
Ball is Life.

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

Boston
Philly (with a proper submatrix)
Detroit
Chicago
Cleveland
Miami
Atlanta
Washington
Possibly Orlando

Could make an easy argument for every single one of them. Plus who knows how Brooklyn develops,

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

OneNole wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:53 pm Boston
Philly (with a proper submatrix)
Detroit
Chicago
Cleveland
Miami
Atlanta
Washington
Possibly Orlando

Could make an easy argument for every single one of them. Plus who knows how Brooklyn develops,
Ah I see. We'll have to play out the season and revisit this later on. :D
Ball is Life.

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

Which of those would you rank better?

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

OneNole wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:17 pm Which of those would you rank better?
Eh, I'd rather just play out the season and see how accurate this turns out to be. You could make the case that all those teams are better then mine :) Let's see how things play out on the court once the season starts.
Ball is Life.