League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Rookie on the boards

Write updates about your team or the league here.
mgtr81
Chairman of the Board

Rookie on the boards

Post by mgtr81 »

Well, there is not many positive things to write about the Milwaukee Bucks this season, otherwise than the expectations this time around were actually higher. Still, the team currently holds the CSL second worst record at 17-47. The team has not recovered yet from the Kyle Lowry decision ... had he accepted to continue his career in Milwaukee, those Bucks with him LeBron James, Greg Monroe and Josh Smith could have actually brought a title to the city ... instead, his decision to leave for Memphis started a long rebuilding process.

But one of the few bright spots for the franchise has been rookie Wendell Carter. The former Duke big man is ranked seventh in rebounding percentage league wide. With the Bucks Front Office still amazed that he was available at the seventh overall spot in last year's draft, Carter has shown he has a natural instinct on the boards. On the season, he is averaging 7.3 points, 8.8 rebounds, 1.2 assists, 0.7 blocks and 0.5 steals in 26.3 minutes per game, shooting 41.0 % from the field, 53.7 % from the free throw line and 29.8 % from three-point range. Defensively, he is stopping just 41.3 % of the 3.4 drives he faces per game and allowing 0.915 points per shot faced.

Looking at his monthly output, Carter's first month was outstanding on the boards but awful on offense, and from then on he has improved his efficiency while going from outstanding to just great on the glass. In November, playing 26 minutes per game, Carter averaged 5.53 points, 9.88 rebounds and 33.94 % shooting. December saw his playing time slightly increase to 26.57 minutes per contest, averaging 8.21 points on 45.83 % shooting and 8.21 rebounds. The new year started for Carter with 7.44 points on 27.11 minutes per game, shooting 43.85 % from the field and grabbing 8.61 rebounds. His playing time dipped in February at just 24 minutes per game, scoring 8.33 points on 43.62 % from the field and getting 8.25 rebounds per contest.
Chris Duhon wrote:We are very pleased with Wendell's playing. He still has a lot to learn, and losing so many games is not easy for someone coming from a successful college program. He has integrated extremely well into the team, he has a great relationship with his teammates despite the team's performance and that is also something with value about him. He is very consistent and has a great work ethic, so there is nothing not to like about him. Of course we know his limitations, but the good part is that he is also conscious about them. He will never be a leading scorer, but Ben Wallace was never one, neither.
So while is still very early in Carter's career, he seems to be one of those few players who make a difference without the need to score the ball. His dominance on the boards at such a young age (12.1 rebounds per 36 minutes) and with just four months of pro experience suggest the Bucks found (or were allowed to find by the six teams drafting before them) a gem for the next decade and a fundamental piece of the Bucks future.
ImageImageImageImageImage

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Re: Rookie on the boards

Post by KW »

Carter is going to be a great player eventually. Once he develops and the team around him suits him better, you will notice his impact.

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

I liked him a lot leading up to the draft and think you got a great value player at that spot. He definitely is someone who you can build around with Ingram which gives you a good foundation. If you can manage to snag a PG in this draft and trade one of Noel or Val then the Bucks should start to turn the corner.

Cleasby
Senior Vice President

Post by Cleasby »

I think Carter has been a nice addition for the bucks this year. Doesn't need the ball and can defend and rebound really well.
2020-2021 CSL coach of the year

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

I really liked Wendell Carter come draft time, he wasn't a #1 pick but I really thought he had a bright future and wanted to find a way to draft him anyway. I think he's going to be a great big man, perhaps the elite role player type of big man. Like a better Jarnell Stokes/Tyler Stone.

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

Carter is a legit talent and RL Bull so I like him even more. No nonsense guy who rebounds like nobody else in this league, and Jon has showed what a great rebounding team can do, that has always been one of his trademarks with Drummond / Thompson.

I still don’t see the Bucks relevant for at least 2 years but two good picks to our with Ingram / WCJ / Maker (who’s surging nicely) can turn this team into one of a good future. Also, try to grab some value deals instead of players like Noel and JVal for max deals on FA. I believe it’s a better way of adding not only talent but assets that should be good trade baits or even long term keepers!
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

Wendell Carter might be my favourite rookie from that class, his rebounding is already elite with the potential to be a league leader in that regard. He'll need to prove he can be a rim protector and score down low efficiently in order to take that next step.
Ball is Life.