League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

The Season of Change

Write updates about your team or the league here.
emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

The Season of Change

Post by emplep7 »

DETROIT, MI -- It seems like its common place now for the Pistons to continue shaking up this roster. Even during the winning years, they were making changes at a higher rate than most of the other teams who were successful and that doesn't seem to be slowing down.

Over halfway through a season in which they moved their star player Kemba Walker to clear the way for the new guard duo of Terry Rozier and Jamal Murray, the Pistons have done it again and shipped off loud-mouth guard Terry Rozier to the San Antonio Spurs. At the time of the trade Rozier was the leading scorer for the team, but rumblings from within the Pistons locker room made it seem like he wasn't a very good fit.

First there was the story of him calling out Kemba Walker, which many veterans who were around with Kemba took exception to. Then he started taking over games late and at times losing them due to his me-first mentality. Jamal Murray and him never clicked and there was obvious tension during one game in Boston when the two we're yelling at each other on the bench during a blowout loss.

Things seemed to smooth over for a few weeks, until late last week a report emerged that said that Rozier wasn't showing up for practice and was spotted urinating on the Kemba Walker photo next to the teams championship trophy. Head Coach Chauncey Billups refused to comment following that report, but said that the team was acting immature at times, which was leading to the losses piling up.

It seemed like the GM finally had enough and decided to ship Rozier out of the Motor City. There were rumors for over a week that Rozier had offers on the table, with one source stating that there were three potentialoffers with one still being ironed out in the last week. Once it looked like a decision was close to being made, the Spurs reportedly made an offer to the Pistons that made them re-consider the other offers. It wasn't long before the GM accepted the offer and the short stint for Rozier had ended in Detroit.

The return - expiring contracts in Reggie Bullock and Ryan Anderson and the Spurs 2023 1st Round pick. The Pistons roster is thinned out a bit now in talent, but the Pistons liked the value they had to clear the 13 million off the CAP for next season in addition to picking up a lottery pick.

Additionally, lets look back at the trade that netted Rozier in the first place:

OKC Sends:
Terry Rozier

Detroit Sends:
Jordan McRae
Josh Davis
Trey Lyles
James Siakam

With that said, that same package netted the Pistons the expiring and Spurs pick for this season.

In what is being called a weaker draft, the Pistons are hoping to land a good prospect in this upcoming draft. With no glaring need on the roster, they are said to be looking to take BPA instead of draft for need.

The Pistons were in the market for Walter Tavares as well, but Portland ended up with the big man and the Pistons decided to hold onto the expiring draft pick of Bobby Portis and their pick this year in order to maintain total flexibility. The Pistons are still in first place in their division surprisingly with this roster and they are planning to maintain that standing through the rest of the year, but it will be a shock if they can stop the talented rosters of Miami or Boston in the playoffs. Its going to take a master stroke to do it, but Coach Billups said he is up for the task.

For next season, the Pistons will finally have cap space and 3 first round picks in what has never happened under this GM and it will be interested to see what GM emplep7 does with that flexibility.

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Re: The Season of Change

Post by Marcos_Beck »

If Lillard wasn't injured I believe we had a real shot at catching you guys for 1st place in division.
I'm really interested in seeing how you're going to work in the offseason given this is a pretty new position for you! But you're up for the challenge, and Detroit will come back stronger than ever next year I'm sure
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

This is pretty much a retool year for you guys, and I am certain you will make good use of that cap space this offseason, as it is shaping up to be a good class. I think your team is going to come back with a much stronger cast next season.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Fan of a German band?^^
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

Will be interesting to see how your team performs without Rozier but the trade was a HUGE WIN for you.

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF D Bane
PF S Barnes| C M Williams

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Props for doing all this changes ... even if I feel a little bit Kemba should have retired in Detroit.

Rozier is a good player but the Spurs pick gives you a lot of options comes draft time.

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

I want Kemba to retire in Detroit, but I opted to try and get some future assets. Definitely not as fun not having him here, but its been a pretty interesting year seeing if I can win without him.

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Totally understandable and this is for every GM the hard question if he has a super star on the team.
Normally I tend to keep the guy til retirement, but business wise it is smarter.

Cyrisnyte
General Manager

Post by Cyrisnyte »

Landing the Spurs pick was the value here. Helps you guys get younger and continue to push forward.
Harrison -- Young --- ZDK --- AA --- WCJ
Duval -- O'Neale -- Okeke -- Reid -- N'Diaye

Cleasby
Senior Vice President

Post by Cleasby »

Was a great value pick up. Even in a 'weaker' draft as some have said there are some great prospects to be found from my scouting.
2020-2021 CSL coach of the year

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

I think you will trade the pick if not #1. Class isn't nice at all but drwftpicks have good value on draft day

CSL Champions Image 2028

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

BTW I'd really like to see you put Michael Porter as a PF in your starting lineup.

I mean, Livingston and Murray brings a lot of playmaking, I mean, A LOT. They'll be able to feed Porter any imaginable way, plus they aren't holes defensively, and Adams + Bam can keep your defense relevant. Porter as the second coming of Durant, playing with such fantastic passers, he would benefit like Durant is balling for GSW with Guler / Harden around him. The comparison with the Warriors is really on par here, and you can see their perimeter trio is doing really, really well.
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Post by Jestor »

Dennis wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:06 pm I think you will trade the pick if not #1. Class isn't nice at all but drwftpicks have good value on draft day
Not this year, or I'd seriously look at trading out. I don't like the class at all.

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Jestor wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 5:29 am
Dennis wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:06 pm I think you will trade the pick if not #1. Class isn't nice at all but drwftpicks have good value on draft day
Not this year, or I'd seriously look at trading out. I don't like the class at all.
Stop stealing my plan lol

CSL Champions Image 2028