League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

New Look Nuggets

Write updates about your team or the league here.
Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

New Look Nuggets

Post by Myles »

Denver Makes Moves Aiming for Playoff Push
I can't believe there's an image with both Drummond and Young

During a trade season that had left many wondering what had happened to the CSL and where all the activity was, the Nuggets GM found himself similarly perplexed. After making a few statements that amounted to begging people to send lowball offers for John Wall, Myles sat and stared at his inbox, with not a single message inbound. And yet, just as the rest of the league has found the activity and the trades, so too had the Nuggets, when Orlando came calling for Josh Jackson, and the Clippers inquired about Jarnell Stokes. I'm not going to bore you all with details of the negotiations, but suffice to say that after a good amount of back and forth in both trade talks, the Nuggets found themselves with two trades that massively improved the talent on the roster and their chances at making an impact in the playoffs.

Gone were the Nuggets' top pick from last season, Josh Jackson, as well as some of the hand-picked role players that Denver had chosen to surround the talent on the team with, Jarnell Stokes, Boban Marjanovic, and Tyler Ulis. Jackson had a strong rookie season, finishing 4th in a great ROY class, and showing that he'll be an elite defender with a potentially good offensive game. However, his shot had completely fallen off in his sophomore year, and more than that, he had shown that no matter what, he was going to get his shots up in every single game. That left enough room for doubt in Denver's mind that when Orlando came talking about a deal that mainly surrounded Drummond for Jackson, the Nuggets couldn't pass it up. As for Stokes, Ulis, and Marjanovic, while all three of them provided great play (when they were healthy), none of them were ever going to be more than just a good role player, and were therefore (sadly) expendable.

In came Andre Drummond, James Young, Terrence Ross, and Alex Len. Drummond is the kind of elite two-way big man that the Nuggets have never had under GM Myles, and should immediately improve their defense, one of the weakest parts of their game. While losing Jackson obviously hurts their defense, it's no secret that having a great defensive big man is more important than having a great defensive wing defender. Obviously, there's nothing better than having a whole team of great defenders, but if you could only have one, it should ideally be a big man. Young is probably the Nuggets' 3rd best player now and best wing, depending on how you view Jayson Tatum, but either way, he is an electric scorer who can be a good playmaker, and defend as well. That was key for the Nuggets, as getting Young's defense means that they are somewhat replacing Jackson there, while definitely upgrading on the offensive end. Ross gives the Nuggets more outside shooting and wing depth, and Len is a solid backup big man who can play behind Drummond well enough.

So what does this mean for the Nuggets rotation moving forward? Well, point guard doesn't change much. Wall will still be playing around 34 mpg, and Caruso will be his primary backup. Power forward had already shifted from Stokes to Tyler Stone in terms of who was starting there, but now Kennedy Meeks will be the primary backup at PF, and Tatum will certainly get some minutes there as well. Center obviously shifts the most, with Drummond now set to be the starter and Len the backup, with Meeks as the third-string option.

The wing positions are now the most interesting for the Nuggets, as they completely have the ability to mix and match moving forward depending on their opponent. All four of the Nuggets main wing players (Tatum, Young, Ross, and Treveon Graham) are between 6'6" and 6'8", and 197 and 209 lbs, and therefore are physically capable of playing both the SG and SF positions. Most of them have good handles, and all of them bring something different to the table. Whether the Nuggets want to focus on having defenders on the court (Young and Graham), shooters (any of Tatum, Ross, and Graham), or simply the two most dynamic players (Young and Tatum), they are prepared to do so. Just by virtue of their physical abilities and talents, Young and Tatum can switch back and forth between SG and SF based on matchups, making that an interesting combination for the Nuggets to play with. And if they simply want their best 5 players on the court? Tatum can slide down to PF and the Nuggets can throw Wall/Young/Graham/Tatum/Drummond out there.

Denver's increase in talent and lineup options should help them reach the playoffs for the first time since the 2014-15 season, when they won the championship. Is this finally the year they break the streak?

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Re: New Look Nuggets

Post by Jestor »

Definitely a much more interesting team now. Still a 6 or 7 seed this year imo because of how far back the team is, but a much tougher out in the playoffs. Hopefully can catch GS for the 6 seed and avoid a first round date with the Kings or Suns.

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

You know we were talking about the Draft a year and half ago and I was questioning myself between Lauri and Jackson. You said you were really happy with Jackson but I had a problem with him, and that was his really high scoring along with lack of DRFL and 3pt shooting. I just felt he would be ok at best on offense while being a defensive stopper. Between that without much help on rebounding and lack of handles, I opted for the player with potential to become an offensive god with solid rebounding potential.

Both end up being solid youngsters and will have great careers but I'm happy I chose Lauri. And while Jackson might become the better player, right now Drummond is better, hands down.
As for Young, I love him. I'm confused why nobody went after him as this package wasn't that hard to beat.
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

Dylan
Senior Vice President

Post by Dylan »

Young will be good for you. You got the best player in the deal for sure, but that was a basically unavoidable thing for me given that Young really didn't hold much value league-wide after shopping him the entire season.

Drummond is awesome and that was a solid deal for you. In both trades you got the best player and that's always a good thing.

Dylan
Senior Vice President

Post by Dylan »

Marcos_Beck wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 12:21 am As for Young, I love him. I'm confused why nobody went after him as this package wasn't that hard to beat.
You and me both.

I offered him around all year, he was available all season. No one gave me any sort of real offer. Regardless, I'm a fan of Stokes and think I can use Ulis too.

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

Dylan wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 1:23 am
Marcos_Beck wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 12:21 am As for Young, I love him. I'm confused why nobody went after him as this package wasn't that hard to beat.
You and me both.

I offered him around all year, he was available all season. No one gave me any sort of real offer. Regardless, I'm a fan of Stokes and think I can use Ulis too.
He's in many ways what Lance was to me back when I acquired him.
Someone able to score 20 points per game off the bench with enough defensive ability to play high minutes without hurting the team on both ways.

If I had something I would give up for Young, I'd have done that deal to bring him in. Love the deal, Myles!
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

Yeah you have an outstanding Big 3 of Wall Tatum Drummond while being solid at SG and PF. DEN is going to be incredibly tough to beat come PO time as I'd venture to say you have the superior talent at both PG and C in the West hands down which are extremely valuable positions.

Glad we were able to get a deal done! As stated via pm Jackson's low HDL, his DRFL, and his lower shooting percentages this season concerned me so the risk for me was theorizing DePaula with his elite PAS rating of 91 can strictly be a setup man for Jackson to avoid him using his HDL as much (along w/ preference work) plus the whole Kansas thing.

Once Jordan fell to injury for the season I knew this was the deal to make, bar none.

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF J Isaac
PF W Kessler | C M Williams

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

I love Dre and tried to get him back to his home a handful of times with no success and think it was a good move as I don't think JJ is as good as some seem to think. I also like the other moves you have made and think you have a chance to make a playoff push.

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Drummond will be a good player to roll with Tatum, and Wall. And as Jon has mentioned above, your other moves have made your team more balanced as well. This new look Nuggets look really good on paper now, just need to stay healthy, and you guys should break that playoff drought this year.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

@Marcos: It's funny you mention Lance, that was the exact player I was thinking of when I was looking at James Young to see if I wanted to acquire him. Back in the 2013-2016 era, he was a great two-way player but was underrated because he didn't shoot a lot of 3s, he didn't steal the ball, he didn't get any assists, but he played defense and scored. I think Young can be that.

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

I'm a big fan of Myles in general and I feel the trio of Wall/Tatum/Drummond is about as good as it gets. The only question now is the supporting cast, and can Graham continue to destroy zone defenses and space the floor.
Ball is Life.

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

One of the best trio's in the league, but this team might have the same issues as utah. Depth is just so important in this engine.