League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Mr. Rivers Swims To Washington

Write updates about your team or the league here.
Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Mr. Rivers Swims To Washington

Post by Jestor »

Combo Guard Swapped For Cap, 1st
Austin Rivers express-shipped his new jersey so he could wear it on the plane

The stalemate didn't take long to break after all.

Reports said the Los Angeles Lakers were only going to trade one of Emmanuel Mudiay or Austin Rivers - if either one. And today, it became official that Rivers, 25, would be the one swimming away, leaving Mudiay. In a three-team trade with the Washington Wizards and Los Angeles Clippers, of all teams, Rivers was shipped to DC in exchange for the Houston Rockets' 2024 1st.

"We're disappointed about the Kemba Walker trade Houston made immediately after," said one Lakers official, "While we already projected that as a late first round selection, that essentially cements it in the 25-30 range." Despite the front office's anger at once again getting screwed over after trading for another team's first round pick, like happens to Jestor with every god damn first he ever trades for not his own while Phoenix, Sacramento, and Miami keep getting all the god damn fucking luck in the world with THEIR first round picks of other teams, because fuck the Pacific and its bullshit forever fucking young top two teams, where were we?...

...Oh, right. Rivers came to the Lakers for pure cap space last season in a desperation dump by the Pacers. Although he was made available, none offered for him. So the team simply signed him to a cut-rate, five year flat-rate $6.5 million a year contract and then sent him off for... cap space and a first, essentially resulting in a late first round pick for free.

The deal also gives Los Angeles the following picks arsenal:

2023 Lakers 1st
2023 Bulls 2nd
2023 Blazers 2nd
2023 Clippers 2nd
2024 Lakers 1st
2024 Pacers 1st
2024 Rockets 1st
2024 Lakers 2nd
2025 Lakers 1st
2025 Lakers 2nd

Or in other words - 10 picks over the next 3 drafts, including 5 first round picks. While not quite the treasure trove of picks owned by luckier teams, it's nonetheless a chest that will ensure financial freedom for the next several years.

Their cap space has also jumped from $4 million and change to $10.5 million as a result of the deal - and that's before taking into account Christian Wood's $15.5 million and the raft of other free agents - a situation that sets up the Lakers to have almost a complete roster by the time summer starts and only Cheick Diallo expected to be the critical re-signing if he isn't moved by the trade deadline.

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Re: Mr. Rivers Swims To Washington

Post by KW »

I think it's a solid deal for you regardless of what trade I made directly after. I can't say I liked spending $20M on that Mudiay/Rivers duo. But you gained an asset by buying low (i.e. free) on a guy who is decent, and then selling high after he had a nice statistical year due to a massive uptick in touches. That's smart GMing that more rebuilding teams should try to do.

I laughed at the bit about us making a trade just hours after you acquired my pick. It does seem to happen to you basically every time lol. Happens to me an awful lot too, also teams like to blow up their rosters right after I trade off their picks haha

But with that said, the teams you mentioned all typically target picks of teams that refuse to commit to a direction and don't value draft assets the way they should, and sell them off for quick fixes without having a long-term vision. I don't believe you could've gotten a pick from a team like that by selling off Rivers.

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

Lol sounds like Biz hustled you :lol:

You had another trade that may have materialized but didn't seize the opportunity

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF D Bane
PF S Barnes| C M Williams

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Post by Rizzo »

I was jealous when you first acquired Rivers for literally nothing. If I knew he was to go for so cheap I certainly would have jumped on that immediateky. You turned him into a free 1st which is a win every day.
Career Accolades:
- GM, Cleveland Cavaliers [2013-2018]
- GM, Brooklyn Nets [2018-2030, 2031-Present]
- 0 CSL Championships
- 0 Eastern Conference Championships
- 0 Coach of the Year Awards
- 0 GM of the Year Awards

Rizzo's Hall of Fame Players:
- oCSL Marcus Smart
- SG P.J. Hairston [2015 CSL Draft, Pick 1.16]
- C DeAndre Ayton [2022 CSL Draft, Pick 1.3]
- PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander [2025 CSL Draft, Pick 1.1]

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Good read, and hopefully Rivers can give us some much needed 3pt shooting!
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

Ocons
Chairman of the Board

Post by Ocons »

The fact that you even got a 1st for Rivers is nuts. He shouldn't even be in the league really. Also, very comical that Mudiay has even been considered for a move already. LOLOL
Clown.Show.League

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Better scoring Clarkson with not as good handles.
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

ozymandias
Senior Vice President

Post by ozymandias »

Turning a guy you got for absolutely free into a 1st - exactly what rebuilding teams need to do. Good job!