League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Inside the Clippers: A new season begins filled with uncertainty

Write updates about your team or the league here.
Dylan
Senior Vice President

Inside the Clippers: A new season begins filled with uncertainty

Post by Dylan »

Inside the Clippers: A New Era Begins

As the 2022-23 season begins in the CSL, the Los Angeles Clippers officially enter a new era. Coming off a disappointing season, followed by a summer full of rumors, expectations for the upcoming season around the league are, to put it nicely, embarrassingly low.

Amidst all the rumors, guard D'Angelo Russell's name never came up

Regardless, there is basketball to be played and in the first season under new GM Dylan, there will be plenty to learn and discover about the future of this team. One name who seems to be a part of that future: D'Angelo Russell.

Russell, entering his age 22 season, is in the final season of his rookie contract and primed for a big year. The talented guard will slot in as the team's starting point guard, and due to a lack of depth, be in line to receive a ton of minutes. The former Ohio State Buckeye seems ready to assume a leadership role on the team, despite being just 22-years-old.

"As a point guard I've always viewed myself as a leader, and I intend to keep building on that this season. There's been a lot of stuff said about us and last year we didn't perform and I know that, but it's my and the rest of my teammate's job to go out there and do our job."

Meanwhile, on the wing, nearly everyone was mentioned in trade rumors. Between James Young, Moe Harkless and Rashad Vaughn, it seemed that a trade was inevitable. However, as opening night arrives, all three remain on the roster and are prepared to stick around for the foreseeable future.

"It's always tough, but it's a business and in this league you just get used to it," said CSL veteran Moe Harkless. "I've been traded before and I'll probably be traded again, so you just learn to tune it out and do your thing."

For the 22-year-old Rashad Vaughn, the rumors were a bit of a shock, after the Clippers only recently acquired his services. "It was definitely surprising to hear my name out there, but I learned the hard way that this is a cold hard business. We obviously didn't perform up to expectations last season and because of that I guess anyone is expendable. It is what it is."

Despite the rumors, recent reports say that Clippers executives have been adamant that Vaughn is not currently available in trade talks.

The real mystery surrounds the big men for the Clippers. With plenty of established talent on the wing and a point guard of the future set in stone, power forward and center represent the biggest question marks in the Clippers rotation. With newly signed center Alex Len in the fold, as well as youngsters Jordan Mickey and Ivica Zubac, how the rotation plays out is a mystery.

"We'll probably start out with both Mickey and Zubac filling those starting roles, but nothing is ever set in stone," said Clippers head coach Lionel Hollins. "Alex has a chance to get in there, Trey Lyles too, and Moe might even get some run at the four as well. We have options and it's always good to have options."

One notable player who won't be getting any time in the rotation is all-star center Greg Monroe. According to reports, Monroe and the Clippers have mutually agreed to part ways, with a resolution coming as soon as trade restrictions are lifted. In the mean time, Monroe has agreed to stay away from the team and will not be with the team in the future.

While the beginning of a season brings hope and possibilities for every CSL team, Clippers fans should brace for impact. The results may not be pretty this year, but incremental improvements and progression from key young players will be the most important part of the upcoming season. While you are what your record says you are, for now, this isn't about wins and losses. This is about getting out of CSL hell.