League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

The Snubs

Write updates about your team or the league here.
GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

The Snubs

Post by GreenBear »

Despite his fantastic numbers, I’m not going to include John Wall here because his trade deadline move made him ineligible. He didn’t get snubbed so much as he was just unlucky with the timing of the trade.

Some guys couldn’t find the necessary votes needed in large part due to injuries (…or healthy scratches... *cough cough* ;) ) like Embiid, Drummond, and Exum. I don’t think anyone would argue that they all have the talent and per-game stats to be all-stars, but many GMs left them off the ballots simply because they just weren’t on the court long enough. But then there are others that played well and still didn’t get the attention they deserve, so here are my biggest ASG snubs (in no particular order):

Kris Dunn, Charlotte Hornets – PG
Dunn is stuck on a team struggling through the season, which is probably the biggest culprit for his exclusion from the All-Star game. They have a rookie GM that was put in a tough spot thanks to years of neglect from the previous GM, and while I’m sure he’s done a good job avoiding the many trade-bait deals that have come his way for Dunn or his 1sts, the Hornets are still stuck in a year full of growing pains (which is to be expected). Dunn, however, has been a shining bright spot on the team. The 3rd year guard is easily the team’s leading force on offense, scoring 19 points and 4 assists on 45% shooting. Even more impressive is his accuracy from beyond the arc, where he’s shooting 44% on 4 attempts per game. Throw in his 1.7 steals and 0.5 blocks and it’s a little disappointing he couldn’t manage to get more than 7 total votes.

Kenneth Faried, Dallas Mavericks – C
The Mavericks were expected by many to take a small step back this season after losing LeBron James to free agency, having to trade away Steph Curry, and seeing a few core players experience a gradual decline in Paul George, Derrick Rose and Serge Ibaka. Instead, the Mavericks have looked as good as ever, and Kenneth Faried is one of the biggest reasons. He’s not the player that will drop 25 on teams very often, but it’s everything else that he does so well to make this list. He averages 13 points on 56% shooting, and he was one of the only players in the league to average a double-double at the time All-Star voting was going on. Add in his elite defensive play, and it’s clear that Faried was snubbed. He only received 4 total votes too, which I know Brett didn’t take too kindly.

Steph Curry, Utah Jazz – PG
The next player on this list is a former Maverick that was traded for Faried before the season started. After several seasons of disappointment despite an uber-talented starting roster, the Jazz are finally playing like they belong among the elites. Porzingis (another former Maverick) deserves a lot of the credit thanks to his development, but Curry deserves an equal share of the credit. Curry is averaging 18 points on 46% shooting overall, and of course he’s killing it from downtown (45% on 7 attempts per game). He’s also averaging 4.5 assists despite playing mostly SG, and he’s playing good defense with 1.2 steals per game.

Marcus Smart, Portland Trailblazers – SG
Smart is one of the best 2-way guards in the entire CSL, and while the Blazers are currently sitting just outside the playoffs, they’ve come ROARING back into the playoff picture in recent weeks and currently sit just a half game back of 8th. Smart is the ultimate slasher, averaging 20 points on 49% shooting to go along with 5.5 FTAs per game. And on the other end, he’s averaging nearly 2 steals per game. It’s a real shame that Smart isn’t in the ASG, but I feel like both he and Curry are both victims of playing in the West. The West is stacked with backcourt stars: George, Westbrook, Harden, Bledsoe, Taylor… I almost feel like there should be more positionless spots in the ASG because 4 guard spots (plus 2 potential wild cards) is just guaranteeing deserving guards get left out.

Joshua Smith, Miami Heat – C
(Insert obligatory mention about Miami’s breakneck pace that leads to stat inflation). That being said, the ASG is largely a generally a stat-driven thing and it’s a little surprising Smith didn’t make the team given his stats. He averages 18 points (on an excellent 61% shooting), 9 rebounds, and 1.6 blocks. I’m most impressed by the shooting percentage, which isn’t influenced by the high pace. Scoring that many points on that high efficiency is invaluable to a team. I wonder if his being overweight helps bully defenders down low or not?

Honorable Mention:
Serge Ibaka – I know Brett made a big stink about Faried, but you could easily put Ibaka on this list. His numbers are very similar with Faried’s, minus a few rebounds and plus some blocks.
Derrick Rose – Another victim of being a guard in the guard-stacked West. His offensive numbers have him up there, and he’s solid defensively too (just doesn’t get the turnovers).
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist – Admittedly, I’m a little partial to MKG with him being a former Sun and all, but the only thing he’s not doing well this year is volume scoring, and that has a lot to do with him being on the same team as SJJ, Klay, Bledsoe and Rozier (for much of the season).

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Re: The Snubs

Post by Andrewu91 »

Good list.

I did vote Rose in.
I had already voted Lillard and Simmons in, so I wanted to give some other players on teams votes, so I left off Smith.
Same reason applied to Faried.
Definitely Curry got snubbed. He had gotten my vote.

Don't think MKG deserved it, neither did SJJ(horrible fg%). Everyone got it right with one All Star for my team this year.

Feel like a Chicago Bull should have represented the All Star game
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Post by Jestor »

Problem is, who do you eliminate to put a Bull on there? Chicago is playing total team basketball - seven players in double-digit scoring and nobody with even 17 points a game.

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Jestor wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:12 pm Problem is, who do you eliminate to put a Bull on there? Chicago is playing total team basketball - seven players in double-digit scoring and nobody with even 17 points a game.
Between two players for me. KCP and Lauri Markkanen. But I would go with Lauri. He and Marcos turned the Bulls from a lottey team, into top 4 team in the East.

Lauri has been super efficient averaging 16.0ppg and 7.5rpg on 49% shooting in only 28.1 mpg. Think he received my wild card vote.

And eliminate? Not sure. I would need to recheck who made the ASG, but a Bull should be included imo.
Edit: For sure, Kevin Love shouldn't have made it. He has played what, 10 games with the struggling Pacers?
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

Cleasby
Senior Vice President

Post by Cleasby »

I can understand smart not getting in as we are not a winning team.

I am surprised by faried I voted for him and think he is having a great twilight season in Dallas.
2020-2021 CSL coach of the year

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

I don't think record matters as much with voters when it comes to ASG voting. Wiggins, Parker, Harden, KD, Love, Kawhi, Ball, AD all got in from teams with records within a game or 2 of yours.

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

I dont think Ibaka was a snub, and with how deep the West is at guard I would say Rose is.not either. But we deserved two all stars and Faried easily should have been that 2nd one.

Hard for me to comment on the rest as I just dont know any one else's stats to compare them to.
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done

Cleasby
Senior Vice President

Post by Cleasby »

GreenBear wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:41 pm I don't think record matters as much with voters when it comes to ASG voting. Wiggins, Parker, Harden, KD, Love, Kawhi, Ball, AD all got in from teams with records within a game or 2 of yours.
Yeah maybe but for me when I vote I only give votes to guys in teams with good records. Stats on a rubbish team mean nothing unless it is a god like 38ppg or something
2020-2021 CSL coach of the year

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Post by andrei »

Definitly voted Smart and Smith - maybe even in starting lineup - don't remember about the rest. Both deserve for sure. Smart has been an All-CSL caliber player for some time and Smith is just a stud and redefines the word ''athleticism'' in CSL.
Congrats to season 16 ASL champion SoulKey. For the Swarm!

Ocons
Chairman of the Board

Post by Ocons »

For the ASG, record is no big deal - that's more for end of season awards. Curry is playing a lot better than I thought he would. Knew Faried would still hold up, despite Bret saying just last year that he was going to decline fast and is way overpaid. I'd still have done the deal in a heartbeat though, made sense for both of us. Glad to see he's doing well.
Clown.Show.League

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

It was definitely much harder to vote in the West than the East, there are a ton of great players in the West. I'm clearly part of the problem as far as this article is concerned, as I know for a fact I didn't vote for Smith, Faried, or Dunn. I may have voted for Smart or Curry, I think I voted for Smart, but I can't remember for sure.