League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

The 3.5 Club

Write updates about your team or the league here.
Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

The 3.5 Club

Post by Myles »

Porzingis hasn't just grown into an offensive star, he's become a defensive monster as well

There are a lot of ways to evaluate defense. There's the old school way, where all you need is a pair of eyes, a scout's mentality, and a whole lot of "I don't care what the anuhlytics say Erneh, I know what good defense is." (If you prefer the broadcaster version, "I don't need analytics to tell me LeBron is good. I know that, I can see that.") You can learn a lot about a player's defensive skills, effort level, and overall ability by watching him, but we all know that there's more to it than that. You can go the new school way, in which the most important things are those analytic metrics, the stop percentage, the points allowed per shots faced, the turnovers forced, all that good stuff. It's informative, sure, but it's pretty boring too when you think about it.

You could do it those ways, the outdated way or the boring way, OR you can do it the fun way and just look at things like blocks and steals! That's the exciting stuff, I mean, just look at that picture of Porzingis above, you know you want to go find the video of that block now and watch it yourself. Remember when Kawhi did this to Ben McLemore? Come on, tell me that's not entertaining!

Sorry, got a bit carried away there. Steals and blocks, while not perfect as defensive stats, are important, as they represent offensive possessions that got stopped. A shot has 0% chance of going in if it's been blocked, and you can't even get a shot up if the ball is stolen from you. These are important and we should recognize and celebrate the players who rack up these stats. So without further ado, here's the list of players averaging at least 3.5 combined steals and blocks per game, among players who have qualified by the DDS Leaderboards.

1. Willie Cauley-Stein, Denver Nuggets, 1.2 steals per game, 2.9 blocks per game
I'll admit, seeing WCS statline is what got me curious about this in the first place. WCS may not do a whole lot on the offensive end, but his ability to be the backline of defense and force turnovers is what drew me to acquiring him a year ago. In fact, he is the only player in the league to eclipse 4+ steals and blocks.

t2. Kristaps Porzingis, Utah Jazz, 1.4 steals per game, 2.3 blocks per game
Porzingis has made incredible leaps and bounds in his game this season. There's something in the water in Utah, because not only has he stepped up into the 3.5 club for the first time in his career, but he's also taking on the offensive load as well. I don't know if I'd rather have him or Exum, but this is the best case scenario for the type of return you'd get when trading a star. Utah's in good hands here.

t2. Okaro White, Phoenix Suns, 2.3 steals per game, 1.4 blocks per game
Everyone knows about Okaro. Four-time DPOY winner (and four consecutive years at that), unquestioned defensive leader of the Phoenix Suns who won their title on the backs of their defense, I mean, what more needs to be said about this guy.

t4. Joel Embiid, Orlando Magic, 0.9 steals per game, 2.7 blocks per game
It's a shame that Embiid will miss 20+ games this season as he had been playing really inspired ball for the Magic prior to his injury. Part of the reason he's in this club is also probably part of the reason he's injured: he was playing the most minutes of his career at 33 minutes per game. Prior to arriving in Orlando, he had never eclipsed 30 mpg. When he comes back, he'll be playing alongside Andre Drummond (presumably) and so while his raw numbers will certainly decline, hopefully Embiid can keep up the impact of his play on the defensive end.

t4. Jordan Adams, Memphis Grizzlies, 2.5 steals per game, 1.1 blocks per game
Adams is the only other perimeter player on this list besides White, and that by itself should say a whole lot about his game. Andrei is certainly never going to let Adams go, as he's very defensive minded and Adams is one of the best in the game. He has never been in the 3.5+ club before this year, but Memphis has let him loose and he's responded by picking his game up even more.

And that's it! There are only 5 players in the league who have met the 3.5 blocks + steals threshold. There are a few others who have come close, so here's the honorable mentions list.

Anthony Davis, New Orleans Pelicans, 1.4 steals, 2 blocks
Hassan Whiteside, Atlanta Hawks, 0.7 steals, 2.6 blocks
Draymond Green, Indiana Pacers, 1.7 steals, 1.6 blocks
Derrick Favors, Golden State Warriors, 1.2 steals, 2.1 blocks

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Re: The 3.5 Club

Post by Rizzo »

No surprise that all of these nine players are defensive monsters. Even more surprising is that aside from Cauley-Stein and Whiteside, the other seven aren't complete liabilities on offense if not flat out impressive.
Career Accolades:
- GM, Cleveland Cavaliers [2013-2018]
- GM, Brooklyn Nets [2018-2030, 2031-Present]
- 0 CSL Championships
- 0 Eastern Conference Championships
- 0 Coach of the Year Awards
- 0 GM of the Year Awards

Rizzo's Hall of Fame Players:
- oCSL Marcus Smart
- SG P.J. Hairston [2015 CSL Draft, Pick 1.16]
- C DeAndre Ayton [2022 CSL Draft, Pick 1.3]
- PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander [2025 CSL Draft, Pick 1.1]

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

I like this metric. These are most of the game-changing defenders. It's a shame that both Exum and Winslow are hurt right now, I think they have both reached the 3.5 mark before.

I think KAT could make this list if I gave him 32+ minutes a game, since he's been hovering around 2 blocks and 1 steal all season in 28mpg, but I have no interest in burdening him with heavy minutes as long as we're winning games.

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Jordan Adams is truly an unique defensive specieman, as he's the only guard that appeared on this list. Well done, Myles. This is an interesting way to looking at defense.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

Ocons
Chairman of the Board

Post by Ocons »

Atta boy KP. Good stuff, Myles.
Clown.Show.League

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

@Rizzo: Even Whiteside and WCS aren't really offensive liabilities. I guess Whiteside is at 49%, but this year so far is an anomaly as his career FG% is 56%, and WCS is shooting 53% so far in his time in Denver. The only offensive liability as far as I can tell is Jordan Adams, as he doesn't shoot 3s and is shooting 42% this year, 39% for his career.

@Biz: Yeah, Winslow is at 3.2 right now but has been above 3.5 during his time in Atlanta. Exum had done it once before in half a season with Utah. KAT is close, but he'd barely be at 3.6 with 36 minutes per game, so no reason to push it.

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Cordi will make the list once we play real strategies and he got his endurance boost. Is at 3 pretty much right now, but with our low pace and low fcp he won't make the cut sadly.
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

Interesting list and this obviously correlates to solid defense. M2M is a different story especially when it comes to bigs, which was Hassan's only true weakness, but regardless these are some impressive numbers. If Jordan Adams had some offensive game, he would be a really good player.

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

Great work here Myles, I love Willie Cauley-Stein and pairing him with Jackson is a damn nice one-two punch on both ends. The rest seem to pass the eye test and Adams under the tutelage of Andrei has proven to be a defensive force. There's a few elite defensive guards like Payton/Bledsoe/Wall/Walker that impress me defensively as well.
Ball is Life.

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

Embiid! Also 11 rebs as well!!

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF D Bane
PF S Barnes| C M Williams

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

I’ve had WCS.. and to me his biggest problem is that he can’t finish possessions defensively with rebounds. He’ll lead the league in blocks, he’ll do great with percentages and he’ll put over 1 stl per game, that’s his thing. So defensively he’s a monster, but you have to pair him with a rebounding machine to work.
Randle is a rebounding machine though, so WCS’s value skyrockets with him by his side IMO.
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Very nice article, since it values skills I have myself in high regard.
Whiteside is close to be in the club and I'm convinced Exum has the tool to be there too. He is good in steals and gets a good amount of blocks from the guard position. Let's see.

But I didn't know that WCS is so high in this defense stats, good job!!

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

This is the article that Brett referenced on the podcast when talking about JJJ, and wondering if he could make it into this club to be considered a game-changing defender.

I'll have to write an updated article to see who pulled it off this season.

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

Spoiler alert, KAT makes it this year when you take his averages rounded to one decimal place and then add them up... but KAT actually missed it by a single block/steal. (152 blocks + 82 steals) / (67 games) = 3.493 stocks. Still not bad for 28 minutes per game?

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

Just did a quick check, only 4 players hit the 3.5 club this year. AD, KAT, Winslow, and Okaro. 8 more players hit the 3.0 mark, those being WCS, Zach Collins, Cordinier, Isaiah Austin, Adreian Payne, Porzingis, Drummond, and Exum.

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

Okaro the only one to renew his membership to the exclusive club. And people wonder how he keeps winning DPoY...

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

I must have missed this but really needs to be per 36 averaged if above say, 25 minutes played.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027