League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Philly Season Review: 1st Year Under (New) Direction

Write updates about your team or the league here.
Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Philly Season Review: 1st Year Under (New) Direction

Post by Marcos_Beck »

PHILLY SEASON REVIEW: 1ST YEAR UNDER (NEW) DIRECTION

Philadelphia, PA: Back at business after an year absent from the league, Marcos came Beck to the league after several stints, two Finals appearances and a ring with the Chicago Bulls, now to lead the Philadelphia 76ers, a franchise doomed by the fact that their GMs never sticked around or were active enough to help the great core of Jabari Parker and co to win a championship, into glory.

76ers owner Josh Harris wasn't so sure about bringing Marcos in, at first.

Talks between Josh Harris (Philly’s majority owner) and Marcos were shaky at first. Used to having lots of power and full control of the Bulls’ roster under Jerry Reinsdorf’s Bulls, Beck wanted the same level of freedom to shake things up, even if that meant dealing away most of the core responsible for the Sixers’ playoff appearances almost every season even without reliable management. Harris and the rest of Philadelphia’s owners were reluctant of how fans would react to possible Jabari Parker, Adreian Payne and Jabari Brown deals, and even top young players like Lonzo Ball and Mo Wagner were in risk of being dealt away as well. Even with fully knowledge that a transformation would happen overnight, they handled Beck a 5-year deal as the new GM of the Philadelphia 76ers. The retool was set to begin, and so it did.

HOW IT WENT LAST SEASON

After only some weeks, Philly had dealt 9 of their 12 players, cut another one, and brought in 12 new faces (11 via trade and Shelvin Mack as the first acquisition as a mid-season free agent). Old team leaders, like superstar scorer Jabari Parker and team captain Adreian Payne were moved in the very first deal as Beck set a clear direction for the franchise: not a complete rebuild, neither a retool just for retooling around different players. They wanted to get younger, deeper and wanted to build a roster capable of maximizing Lonzo Ball’s unique skillset of elite playmaking and defensive instincts.

So, after deals with the Pistons, Spurs (twice), Wolves, Pelicans (twice), Lakers (twice), Wizards, Cavaliers, Kings, here’s the full list of departures and arrivals for the Sixers since Marcos came in.

Jabari Parker headlines the list of players who left Philly

OUT:
Jabari Parker
Robert Williams
E’Twaun Moore
Damian Jones
Adreian Payne
Jabari Brown
Royce O’Neale
Festus Ezeli
Kyle Guy
2nd PHI 27’
2nd PHI 28’

IN:
Jamaal Murray
Brian Bowen
Bam Adebayo
Caleb Swanigan
Michael Gbinije
Jawun Evans
Bojan Bogdanovic
Darion Atkins
Terrence Jones
Derrick Favors
Nicolas Batum
1st CLE 28’ (top-6 protected)

The starting lineup of Ball (24), Moore (30), Parker (30), Wagner (24) and Williams (22) turned into the same Ball and Wagner + Murray (25), Bowen (20) and Adebayo (23). The bench, headlined by Payne and Brown, both already at the declining stages of their careers, was completely retooled, with Swanigan (24), Gbinije (26) and Evans (25) as the 3 mostly featured players. They even managed to add a future protected first rounder from the Cavs, but gave up on some prospects as well in Royce O’Neale and Kyle Guy, two draftees from the previous regimes.

Philly went on to make the playoffs as the 4th seed of an incredibly strong Eastern Conference. Took a while for them to figure out how to maximize the talent in this team, learn how to properly win games, and it’s possible to say they were so busy fighting for a postseason berth there was no time to try out new strategies and lineups. They ran whatever worked out first and, even though they were able to beat a strong Cleveland team in 7 games in the first round of the playoffs, they were no match for Miami’s well constructed roster and the tactical variations Silogical uses in his team.

So, Philly finishes this (half) year of the “new process” with high hopes that internal improvements and better team building around the core four (Ball, Murray, Bowen and Wagner) should be the next goal for them in order to take another step towards contention.

Lonzo Ball has been selected team captain moving forward.

The team heads into the offseason with 8 players under contract (or with RFA rights):
- PG Lonzo Ball
- PG Jawun Evans
- SG Jamaal Murray
- SF Brian Bowen
- SF Michael Gbinije
- PF Moritz Wagner
- PF Caleb Swanigan
- C Bam Adebayo
They’ll also add another projected rotation player with the number 20 pick in this year’s draft.

WHAT’S NEXT?

Will Adebayo stay or find himself a new home via Sign and Trade?

There have been many talks about Bam Adebayo joining another organization via Sign and Trade this upcoming Free Agency. As good as he is, and Philly has enough room to bring Bam and Wagner back on max deals if needed, he’s not the best fit on a team with 3 ball dominant starters (plus another one developing in Bowen and Swanigan, off the bench, also demanding touches). They are rumored to be shopping Bam to multiple teams with advanced talks, but no deal set on the table yet. Rumors point out that they are trying to move multiple future first rounders to add a second pick in this year’s draft, one labeled as a weaker one in terms of star power, but very good when it comes to rotation players that should help the team add a much needed depth.

Expect multiple rumors and reports to pop up, but not many deals to be done, though. The plan is not to change dramatically from what is currently in place, retaining the starting-4 (only replacing Adebayo for a lower usage, better defensive player) and bench pieces, while relying massively on Brian Bowen’s improvement as he enters year two in the league. It doesn’t matter who’s going to be in the roster come regular season, though, the goal is the same: win a ring for a once hopeless franchise.
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

cb4raptorscb4
Commissioner

Re: Philly Season Review: 1st Year Under (New) Direction

Post by cb4raptorscb4 »

The Parker trade really set you guys up nicely for the future. Very young team, especially with Bowen continuing to develop. I expect Bam to get moved, but I could see this core competing for a Championship in the coming years.
Golden State Warriors
Kris Dunn | PJ Dozier | Ding Yanyuhang | Kevon Looney | Chimezie Metu
Devonte Graham | Nimrod Levi | Tariq Owens | Johnny Hamilton
'23: 34-48 (5-8 as GM)
'24: 40-42, 1st Round Exit
'25: 50-32, Championship Round Loss (4-3)
'26: 48-34, 1st Round Exit
'27: 44-38, Missed Playoffs
'28: 39-43, 1st Round Exit
'29: 57-25, Championship Round Loss (4-2)
'30: 48-34, Conference Finals Loss (4-1)

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

Did we trade? I can't even remember, lol.

Lonzo is so good that yeah, you can build a team around him but Wagner has been amazing so far in this league. Expect him to get a max contract come the off season but you're well ahead of it with finances it seems.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

You really wasted no time and shaped the team like you envision it for the future.
The core of Lonzo, Bowen and Wagner. I always liked Swanigan as well, he is terrible overpaid, but Bowens contract help's to absorb that.
Lets see where Bam goes, imo he would be a good fit on the roster but could get a tad too expensive.
One thing is for sure the team has the signs of a future powerhouse in the East and will be there right with the Heat, Pistons and Knicks.

Ramcus
CEO

Post by Ramcus »

I'm really looking forward to seeing where this team goes in the future. Lonzo, Bowen, and Wagner is one of the best core's in the league, period, and finding the right complements is going to separate this team from consistent playoff disappointment to true championship contender.
Stay Me7o Image
NOLA 2022-2030: 292-364
BRK 2030-2031: Interim GM/Coach | CSL Champion
LAC 2031-present

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

You've done a great job making roster adjustments without blowing it all up! I love the core and this team should be a contender in the East for years to come. I don't know how Wagner became so dominant, he's a monster. Paired with Lonzo and you've good a dynamic duo with a great supporting cast around them, This division isn't getting any easier...
Last edited by blackice on Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ball is Life.

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

Yeah you have definitely made the team your own very quickly, which I'm not surprised about. You have a good core of Lonzo and Wagner to build around and I'm a big fan of Murray still even with his inconsistencies. I'll be watching your team closely as its going to be a competitor in the East and hope Bowen can become a good glue guy for your team.

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

At 1st i thought detroit crushed your 3-team trade, but I didnt know much about bowen at that time. Now I think Bowen is the most valuable player in that trade. he's not as good as Frank N but he'll be a lot cheaper for the next 3 seasons and beyond. That one trade set you up so nicely.