League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

BI's Spotlight #22 - StOfTheStep

Write updates about your team or the league here.
blackice
Chairman of the Board

BI's Spotlight #22 - StOfTheStep

Post by blackice »

This will be the twenty-second in a series of articles spotlighting different GM's in the league and picking the brains of the braintrust here in the league. Each one will have customized questions that vary in terms of detail and intention. Some will be directly tied to the GM's team, some will be more directed to the league as a whole - all will relate in some form or fashion to basketball. Each article is worth scouting points for a full Insider article. The twenty-second interview is with StOfTheStep, so let's kick this off.

1. How did you discover basketball, and additionally, how did you discover the CSL?

I think my first introduction into basketball was actually through the NCAA. Growing up in the Philadelphia area, the Big 5 reigns supreme. The Big 5, just to quickly explain, is an unofficial basketball conference composed of five NCAA teams out of the Philly area: Villanova, St. Joseph's, LaSalle, Temple, and Penn (sometimes people like to include Drexel to make the Big 5 into the City 6). When I was a kid my favorite team was St. Joseph's since a few of my family members were alumni. Coincidentally, St. Joseph's biggest rival is Villanova. After attending Villanova myself, my allegiance shifted to 'Nova. However, I will always have a soft spot for St. Joseph's. When the "Holy War" (Villanova-St. Joseph's annual match) comes around, I usually side with St. Joseph's since they are generally the underdog. You know, Philly mentality.

As far as the CSL goes, although he would most likely hate to admit it, emplep7 got me into the CSL. He and I had been working together for awhile up to that point and I must've impressed him with my keen sports knowledge. And as the saying goes, the rest is history.

2. Are you a fan of the Thunder in real life?

I am not a fan of the Thunder in real life. As you could imagine, being from the Philadelphia area, I am a Sixers fan all the way. Trust the Process.

3. You are clearly rebuilding, what's the plan this offseason? Will you be active in the FA market? Trade market? Draft?

I consider myself an opportunist. I try my best to not really focus on one plan, but adapt to the market. Since I was lucky enough to land the 3rd overall pick in the upcoming draft, I hope that sets the tone for my offseason. I'm not sure if I have any one FA in mind, but if we can poach a few that fly under the radar early, then I think we can find some building blocks or role players that will fit the system. As far as the trade market is concerned, I think we have some pieces that contenders may be interested in for playoff runs. Honestly, we'll most likely work the phones in a similar manner to this past season.

4. Do you feel Barrett is a franchise talent? Can Knox be the leading scorer on a championship team?

Yes, I absolutely think that Barrett is a franchise talent. While he may not be a star in any one facet, I don't see too many holes in his game. He can score, he can defend, he has the intangibles. Plus, being that he's only 19, he's got nowhere to go but up. Now it's just up to me to surround him with complements.

As for Knox, I do think that he could be the leading scorer on a championship team. Additionally, I don't think he's that much of a detriment on defense either. I think most people look at his skillset and see the offensive numbers jump off the page. While that is an understandable knee jerk reaction, I think if he's surrounded by the right support group, not only does he lead the team in scoring, he helps out sufficiently on the defensive side of the ball.

5. If you had to identify a rival, which team/GM would it be?

Ha. Can I name two?

Anyway, the first would probably be emplep7 because he got me into the league. Beating him a few years ago while I was still the GM of the Sixers was probably my crowning achievement to date. I'll not let him live that one down any time soon.

The second has got to be GreenBear. I would like to think that I had some hand in his foray into the CSL. In fact, some may say (looking at you emplep7) that his intro into this league has been my biggest contribution to the CSL. Unfortunately for me, he has seen a great deal more success in his short tenure than I ever had. While it's easy to say that most of that disparity falls squarely on my shoulders, don't count me out just yet. Maybe my move from the Eastern Conference to the West was all a ploy just to size him up some more...

6. In terms of team building, tell us a little bit about your approach?

Let's just say that the most appealing form of basketball to me is one that showcases advanced spacing, ball movement, deep shooting, and slashing. While perhaps not the universal opinion on the way basketball should evolve, I feel that this form of offense shines a light on dynamic athleticism and is far more enjoyable to watch than clogging up the paint with big bodies jockeying for the glass. Needless to say, Villlanova being on the forefront of this movement sways my opinion as such. However, circling back to my earlier comment about being an opportunist, I don't think that I have one set approach when it comes to team building. Adapt to survive.

7. What do you feel is the biggest need on your roster? A lead guard or a rebounding/defensive center?

Inheriting a roster composed of talent such as Deyonta Davis, RJ Barrett, and Kevin Knox, I feel like my frontcourt is relatively stable in terms of a rebuild. Therefore, considering that core composition, I think my needs lie primarily in the backcourt for a few facilitators and spreaders. I think if I can grab a couple of guards that could contribute in handling the point and hitting the occasional three at a decent clip, I believe that would take the pressure off of the inside and allow them to shine brightest.

Thanks for the interview, man. Hope I gave you a little insight to the madness that is the StOfTheStep.

I hope you enjoyed this look into yet another integral player of this league, and if you are interested in being interviewed please express your interest either in this thread or a PM if you prefer. It'll be first come first serve, and I'll gauge interest and go from there.
Ball is Life.