League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Indiana Pacers Season Review

Write updates about your team or the league here.
TheTwoWallaces
CEO

Indiana Pacers Season Review

Post by TheTwoWallaces »

I was going to do a more fun article on a random statistic or two but I keep failing to find the time and, well, I need the scouts. So let's just take a look back at a mediocre but eventful Pacers season.

Coming off of a 40-42 season, the Pacers came into the season with eyes on the playoffs -- a first in a while for a club that's been a bottom feeder for several years. With a little growth, some better coaching, and a few lucky bounces, the Pacers had a shot at sneaking into the playoffs, even in the hellish Eastern Conference.

Going into the season, the Pacers were putting their money on the development of Michael Porter Jr, Semi Ojeleye, Justin Patton, and Collin Sexton. They figured that with these 4 youngsters together for another season, and a supporting cast of Gary Payton II, FVV, Rawle Alkins, RHJ, Eric Mika, and others, they had a legitimate shot at a +.500 season. I think most experts agreed that improvement was very much so within reach.

But on the eve of Opening Day, the largest trade (maybe) in Pacers history was revealed. Rising star MPJ, along with rock-solid PG Collin Sexton and plug-piece Branden Dawson, were being shipped to the Sacramento Kings. In return, the Pacers received 4 first round picks, rookie Jalen Smith, 3 & D guy Deng Adel, and veteran Nick Johnson.

After the monster deal, the Pacers were less assured of their playoff chances. Still, a 9-6 start to the season started to give them hope. With no MPJ, Justin Patton and Semi Ojeleye were unleashed and began averaging 20+ ppg. The new starting 5 was Payton, Alkins, Ojeleye, Patton, and Mika. A very solid unit that could move the ball and hit shots, but was nothing to write home about defensively.

Eventually, the shortcomings of the roster began to be apparent. Ojeleye couldn't stay healthy, and the bench unit wasn't potent enough. Elite opposing guards would feast on the lackluster perimeter D. So, three smaller deals were made to try to right the ship and keep playoff hopes alive. RHJ was swapped with expiring contract and seasoned veteran DeMarre Carroll. Nick Johnson was sent out along with the ATL 1st (#27) and a CHA future 1st for lockdown defender Briante Weber. And lastly, Monte Morris and a 2nd round pick were sent to Memphis for Matthew Dellavedova.

Briante Weber was traded to Indiana to lockdown dangerous Guards. Was he worth it?

After matchday 60, the Pacers were 30-30 and in the middle of the playoff hunt. Unfortunately, for the second consecutive season, coaching went absent when it was needed most and the Pacers slipped. It didn't matter that the Pacers had a deep roster with plenty of defensive options; without coaching those players wouldn't be properly utilized. Guys like Carroll, Dellavedova, Adel, and Weber weren't getting minutes or proper matchups, and the Pacers slipped accordingly. 37-45, a 3-game step back for the young squad.

This offseason, the Pacers have the #19 pick. They also need to make decisions regarding expiring free agents Carroll, Dellavedova, and Mika. They hope to bring back all 3, but also acknowledge that they aren't willing to overpay for any of them.

Alas, perhaps next year will be their year!
DETROIT BASKETBALL

Krejci | Melton | Campazzo
Porter | Notice | King
Johnson | Kispert
McDaniels | Martin | Petrusev
Wiseman | Stewart

Ramcus
CEO

Re: Indiana Pacers Season Review

Post by Ramcus »

I think you guys need one more talent upgrade at either point guard, shooting guard, or center to truly push you guys over the hump. Whether that means using your picks to trade for one or acquiring one through free agency will depend on what you guys do. And I like that you're not willing to start from the beginning again, but it might hold you back in the drafting department. That being said you've drafted relatively well so far. Gj
Stay Me7o Image
NOLA 2022-2030: 292-364
BRK 2030-2031: Interim GM/Coach | CSL Champion
LAC 2031-present

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

This team has a lot of talent, and I think it is almost there. I expect you guys to continue to build on this foundation, and challenge for a playoff spot next season.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

I think PG is still the biggest weakness in your lineup, but you have the assets to fill that.
The team doesn't really have an alpha player but above average talent on all other positions.

I was surprised Weber didn't play more last season, but you not having the time explains that.
If you can find the time next season, the roster has certainly the talent and depth to make a rum for the playoffs.

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

The loss of MJP really allowed the others to shine though and they really did.

Definitely still on the up and a lot of assets to make a splash if they decide to.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

I like that you aren't afraid to build this team in the image you see fit - i.e having the balls to move Porter and build around your young forwards. With your boatload of picks and youth at almost every position you are well on your way to building a future championship team! The East isn't getting any easier and the slow rebuild seems like the right route for this team.
Ball is Life.