League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

BI's Spotlight #21 - WillyJakkz

Write updates about your team or the league here.
blackice
Chairman of the Board

BI's Spotlight #21 - WillyJakkz

Post by blackice »

This will be the twenty-first in a series of articles spotlighting different GM's in the league and picking the brains of the braintrust here in the league. Each one will have customized questions that vary in terms of detail and intention. Some will be directly tied to the GM's team, some will be more directed to the league as a whole - all will relate in some form or fashion to basketball. Each article is worth scouting points for a full Insider article. The twenty-first interview is with WillyJakkz, so let's kick this off.

1. How did you discover basketball, and additionally, how did you discover the CSL?

First off thank you for the interview opportunity. I stumbled upon basketball inadvertently. I was a huge football buff (electric football, handheld football game like on Guardians of the Galaxy, etc) and I also played QB on my Pop Warner teams as well as in the street or fields as a child in WV. Basketball was secondary, then I moved to Ohio where all of the neighborhood kids played basketball instead of football. I slowly transitioned to basketball and with my older brother being quite the basketball player (All Army Team where he played against Travis Mays, Mookie Blaylock, and several NBA players like Alvin Robertson and Moses Malone in the late 80s early 90s) I watched him and marveled. He was actually recruited by John Thompson to go to Georgetown but got married and re-enlisted, ugh but he managed to be in Sports Illustrated with his D2 college team.

That said I fell in love with the game as a child with my earliest memory of the NBA was watching Magic Johnson hit the Baby Skyhook over the Celtics and have watched ever since.

I discovered the CSL from the realgm website many many moons ago.

2. Are you still active on realgm?

Not as active as I used to be. I'll go from active to taking a yr hiatus then back to being active depending on what's occurring in the NBA in real life.

3. Tell us about your team, who do you feel are keepers that you'll continue to build around and who is on the trade block?

I feel like I have a good core with KP Milos and Wiggins as they're very capable scorers and contribute to the team in other ways on the court so I'll say those are the building blocks... And RoCo lol, that's my guy!

4. You've moved your 1st a few times now and it's ended up being the #1 pick a few times, do you regret moving them or are you content with your approach in terms of team building?

I have my thoughts and think it's hilarious and have no regrets on trading the picks. I'll probably put this one on the block once next season begins.

5. Who's your favourite player on your roster and who would you add if you could add any CSL player for free?

Robert Covington is my favourite but Porzingis and now Milos is growing on me alot. I believe Milos can effectively play as a starter until about 38yrs old. Adding a player for free is tough as I can't think of anyone I'm completely enamored with now as the guys I was intrigued by have gotten much older here vs in real life.

6. What's the goal next season? What's the plan moving forward?

The goal is the same as every yr, to compete. It's just that shit doesn't always work out that way but we played well to end the season.

7. Obviously trading for Kristaps Porzingis was huge, how do you view him after about a full season on your Magic team?

I believe Kristaps is one of a few dominant players in this League as there was a huge influx of perimeter defenders to offset the dominant perimeter guys like Paul George, James Harden etc although it seems whoever has Terry Rozier (can't remember the team) has designed a great strategy to enhance his skills which is great. There aren't however many bigs who have the ability to be an offensively equivalent force but I do think KP is one of them so hopefully we can figure it out as I feel he and Milos is a great pair. We'll see.

Thanks for the interview and Go Magic!

I hope you enjoyed this look into yet another integral player of this league, and if you are interested in being interviewed please express your interest either in this thread or a PM if you prefer. It'll be first come first serve, and I'll gauge interest and go from there.
Ball is Life.

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Re: BI's Spotlight #21 - WillyJakkz

Post by Flaming Homer »

So much history here it seems :-)

I think the trio of Porki, Milos and Wiggins is a good base to compete for the playoffs next season.
The East will be unfortunately not any easier, but I think 2-3 teams could maybe struggle a bit more and give the chance to slip in.

Converting both of your lottery picks in solid veteran help could go long ways. Curious to see what will happen.

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Re: BI's Spotlight #21 - WillyJakkz

Post by emplep7 »

I'm a big Porzingis fan so I agree with holding onto him and building around him. If you can turn those two picks you have into something then I think you should improve, but I still feel this team should be winning more. I think finding the right system to run will go a long way and improve the win total by a significant margin.