League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

BI's Spotlight #18 - mgtr81

Write updates about your team or the league here.
blackice
Chairman of the Board

BI's Spotlight #18 - mgtr81

Post by blackice »

This will be the eighteenth in a series of articles spotlighting different GM's in the league and picking the brains of the braintrust here in the league. Each one will have customized questions that vary in terms of detail and intention. Some will be directly tied to the GM's team, some will be more directed to the league as a whole - all will relate in some form or fashion to basketball. Each article is worth scouting points for a full Insider article. The eighteenth interview is with mgtr81, so let's kick this off.

1. What got you into basketball? How did you discover sim leagues and the CSL?

I don't really remember as I started playing in school at a very young age. I guess it should have been related to growing early, as I was very tall early on compared to my classmates. Then I stopped growing relatively soon so in the end I'm not that tall (slightly above average I would say). I started playing at center and as the years went by I ended up at shooting guard, which didn't really fit me as I had the skillset of a post player (plus passing / game vision), but could not hit an outside shot. I was a defensive player mainly rebounding, blocking shots, reading passing lanes, etc ...

As for sim leagues my first one was the xNBA. That should have been around 2006 or 2007, but I can't really remember, maybe 2008. Not sure how I discovered that. I think I was looking for a basketball game after playing NBA Live and found TPB which just had become DDS. Then I saw the xNBA and thought: why not? I was managing the Utah Jazz there, which was my first sim league team ever. Regarding the CSL, Willy told me about it, and after the NLL closed, I thought it would be nice to be in another modern-day league, as the GAH was a retro one.

2. You are one of the most patient "team builders" in the league, take us behind the scenes on your mindset when building a team?

My approach has always been draft, free agency and trades, in that order, to build a team, as in my opinion it is the least costly in terms of assets but also the longest path to follow in terms of time. In addition, I always try to get the best out of each of my players and, when that is not enough to be competitive, then I consider to make changes. That being said, for various reasons (time being one of them) I have not been able to do that (maximizing my team) here in the CSL.

Team building for me is a matter of the overall picture, that is, how the different pieces mesh. For those who know me from other leagues, I have had successful teams (unlike my Bucks here, at least yet) which on paper were not that good: my NLL Bulls lacked any true superstar and my GAH Hawks won a championship with only one All-Star player surrounded be role players.

3. What is your core (max of 3 players)?

Tied to the previous answer, I consider my core to be more than three players. If I had to choose only three I would say Brandon Ingram, Daniel Gafford and Khris Middleton.

4. Take us behind the scenes on the Middleton deal?

This is going to be a long story and I would have to refer to something some here may be tired of hearing (reading): the low inside shooting ratings in the CSL. After waiting to see if draft classes improved that and seeing that it didn't happen, I realized I had to switch to more and better outside shooting. Also, and as a consequence of that, it was important to have tall perimeter players as stopping drives was not as important as in other leagues. The reason why would take too long to explain, but it is tied to the low inside shooting ratings. I also waited to see if the new engine dealt with that in a different way, but since it didn't, I had to trade for an excellent outside shooter with size, and it happened Middleton was in the market.

5. What is the goal short term (next season) and long term (next 5 seasons)?

To contend for the title, and it's not arrogance on my side, believe me it's not my style. But all the advanced metrics for the last season and the second half of the previous one tell me we're one of the Top 6-8 teams in the league. And yes, I know we're not even in the playoffs yet.

6. Who (if any) teams do you admire and/or respect?

From the CSL? To be honest I have had a very busy year so could not follow this season closely. Unless things have changed too much lately, some teams I admire here are the Suns and the Kings because of their stability. I also like the way Kevin manages his Jazz, always trying to be competitive despite what everyone else says and not afraid of dealing draft picks.

7. Can Brandon Ingram be the 1st option on a championship team?

If we understand first option as a super-scorer with insane stats, in this engine and with the set of shooting ratings the CSL is using I don't think so. That being said, he is an excellent player and an underrated defender. Regarding stats, it's also worth noting that we play at the slowest tempo in the league, so our players numbers are never going to be spectacular.

Thanks for the interview and sorry for the delay in answering. It's really appreaciated.

I hope you enjoyed this look into yet another integral player of this league, and if you are interested in being interviewed please express your interest either in this thread or a PM if you prefer. It'll be first come first serve, and I'll gauge interest and go from there.
Ball is Life.

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Re: BI's Spotlight #18 - mgtr81

Post by Flaming Homer »

Patient team builder really comes to mind if I read about Manu :-)
I really hope I will have at least a bit of it going forward! It is not easy in a league where a loosing season can be very loooong.

But the Milwaukee roster was shaped over this time and I like this team a lot. I would not have any problem having Brandon Ingram as the center piece of a team. He will never be the top scorer and probably not the stl/blk leader. But put the right pieces around him and it could work.

I know Manu has a lot of knowledge about the engine and bball overall, his Bucks will be one of the young teams ruling the East.

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Re: BI's Spotlight #18 - mgtr81

Post by Andrewu91 »

Being patient can have it's benefit, but also have it's flaws.
You have talented players, but there are some fits that I seem to question a little. Like myself, I wonder if you might try to trade 1-2, to better your team engine wise and compete more.

Cool interview
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson