League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Fixing Atlantic Teams’ Weak Links (1 of 6)

Write updates about your team or the league here.
Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Fixing Atlantic Teams’ Weak Links (1 of 6)

Post by Marcos_Beck »

Hello, everyone!
We’re here today to discuss how to fix every Atlantic Division roster biggest weakness with trade ideas. This will be done for every other division as well, though I’m splitting it in 6 parts so articles won’t be too long, this way I can write more detailed stuff about why I believe certain players are solid trade targets to fix the biggest weaknesses I see at every team.

I’ve been away from the league long enough I can’t remember which players are good or bad, so this will both be a good idea of an article to read, a way of helping with possible trade scenarios or targets, and a nice way for me to know where players are playing 2 seasons after I left.

I’ll try my best here, even though I might miss a player or two who might be good for any teams, but you guys can help on the comments.
So, let’s do this, should be fun!

Boston Celtics
Personally, I believe the Celtics are the deepest team in CSL. That said, they are still one consolidation move away from having enough pieces to match up with teams like Chicago come playoff time, where personal match ups counts more than ever.
I believe they could use a better, more defensive minded piece at PF than both Skal Labissiere or even Aaron Gordon. Both are nice players to have and Skal would be fantastic off the bench (GP x GS playoff numbers shows Dennis used him as a 6th man during postseason), so a player like Richard Solomon who is currently available for talks (via Sacramento’s trade block) would do wonders with his elite man to man defense and superior defensive rebounding than Gordon.
There are enough pieces to make this done (Gordon himself is a great candidate to be included in a deal here) and as old as Solomon is, he’s still starting material in a true contender.

Philadelphia 76ers
Philly currently has a very good starting group with enough star power to beat any team at any given night. Jabari is one of the best scorers in the league, Lonzo is the best playmaker CSL has and the Payne - Williams duo is not only a great fit but also helps cover any defensive mistakes committed by Parker.
Their bench needs help, though, but might not be that hard to fix. Wagner is clearly stealing touches from Jabari as a starter, and employing him as a scoring machine off the bench already fix many of their bench woes. They do have enough wing pieces and two very good backup centers to fill the voids, however there’s not a single capable backup for Lonzo to keep the offense running.
The Clippers are short on bigs but have enough PGs to let one go. Either Ezeli or Damian Jones could be included in a deal for Ryan Arcidiacono who, despite obvious defensive flaws, should be fantastic backing up Lonzo as he is one of the very few players in CSL good enough to keep the level of ball distribution at least close to what Lonzo does. He’s not a starter in a league where most Point Guards would dominate him with his lack of defensive ability, but he’s a very capable sub as he wouldn’t be required to guard stars for heavy minutes.
Arcidiacono might not be on the Clippers long term plan (even if he started for them last year) and a player like Jones would certainly be enticing for them as a young, good enough center to deploy as a defensive weapon. I honestly believe this could make a lot of sense for both teams.

Toronto Raptors
The Raptors are in all in mode and nobody can blame them. After grabbing Milos from the Bulls and Austin from Phoenix, they have a fantastic 4 of Joseph, Milos, Austin and Bamba as starters, solid pieces off the bench such as Beal, Rose and Stokes, yet no true SF to fill the gap at their starting unit.
They currently have Enes Kanter and N’Diaye fighting for minutes behind Bamba, both with very similar deals but different skill sets. The logic screams one of them should get traded for the starting SF they need once trade restrictions are up, and two names come to my mind as solid, low cost targets who are in the same salary range as both big man from Toronto: Sam Thompson from the Cavs and Jalen Jones from Milwaukee.
Thompson would be solid as a gap filler and could be easier to acquire since the Cavs could use some shotblocking off the bench (N’Diaye is an elite rim protector). Milwaukee doesn’t need the shotblocking as badly, but they have tons of options at the wing to let a player with many offensive flaws in Jones go and N’Diaye would be a good upgrade from Karnowski off the bench.

Brooklyn Nets
The Nets are one of the true up and coming teams ready to battle for something bigger than missing postseason. DeAndre Ayton is well developed, Isaac is a very good defensive option able to guard 2-4 with ease, SGA comes ready to play and there are rock solid players everywhere to complete those guys.
Yet, one thing they clearly lack is a leader on offense. Someone who bails them out when they badly need a bucket, someone to score 30 at any given night. SGA should be this player in 5 years, but right now, he’s still a hot prospect.
Thinking about that, there’s a superstar-level scorer trying to get out of a bad situation and compete for a ring in the final years of his career. James Harden is as good as any other player when it comes to putting the ball on the basket, even at 35, and he has zero future at Los Angeles as the Clippers are clearly rebuilding. He can shoot, he can drive, he WILL FOUL OUT whoever is guarding him, and the ability to switch him and Isaac on defense (assigning him the best possible matchup defensively) are enough reasons to bring him to Brooklyn in exchange for a player the Nets don’t really need: Myles Turner. Make it happen Rizzo, and while Harden isn’t the player that puts you over the top, this team is due to a playoff appearance.

New York Knicks
The Knicks are still a step behind everyone, but it could change with a good TC from Zion Williamson. If he trully blossoms into a superstar, it’s time for New York to start acquiring better talent and fit to put together with him at the starting lineup.
Malik Beasley is a very good player, but they need someone that can both defend at high level, shoot the three well while leaving more touches and shots for Zion.
It’s hard to find a player like that and even harder to find possible deals here. But Khris Middleton who’s currently trapped into a pretty bad situation in Memphis is everything the Knicks need: he’s not too old at 28, he’s not shot hungry, he’s a great defender and even better sniper. Prying him away from Memphis won’t be easy but Beasley is a younger, intriguing piece to start with. It might even expand to a bigger deal (involving Fultz or DePaula), but Middleton is clearly a fantastic fit with Zion and JJJ, one worth exploring scenarios.

So, what do you guys think of the article and the ideas?
I tried to mention players who could trully be acquirable, with possible ideas to start the conversation. Hope everyone likes it and it works as a way of opening up everyone’s minds for trade ideas!
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

Ramcus
CEO

Re: Fixing Atlantic Teams’ Weak Links (1 of 6)

Post by Ramcus »

I really like that trade for the Celtics, and I think Richard Soloman can truly push them over the edge. They've spent the last few seasons as perennial playoff contenders, but also consistent 2nd Round Exits to boot. They're looking for the piece that will push them ahead even further, and I think that the Celtics can afford to give up some of their depth for star power.

The Raptors can use just about any 3&D wing here, and they'd be gold.
Stay Me7o Image
NOLA 2022-2030: 292-364
BRK 2030-2031: Interim GM/Coach | CSL Champion
LAC 2031-present

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

Ramcus wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:53 pm I really like that trade for the Celtics, and I think Richard Soloman can truly push them over the edge. They've spent the last few seasons as perennial playoff contenders, but also consistent 2nd Round Exits to boot. They're looking for the piece that will push them ahead even further, and I think that the Celtics can afford to give up some of their depth for star power.

The Raptors can use just about any 3&D wing here, and they'd be gold.
Given Austin, Milos and Beal are very good 3pt shooters and the Raptors don’t have many assets to trade, I hardly believe they’ll be able to find a good offensive threat at the wing. But honestly, if they add some defense there it would be devastating as they’d always have a good defensive piece to guard SFs and Joseph could take the hardest assignment at backcourt...

It’s not easy to find a piece that improves the Celtics without costing them a really really valuable player. Solomon is one of the very few who gives them exactly what they need for a price they can easily pay.

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Post by Rizzo »

James Harden, huh? Let's get it done!
Career Accolades:
- GM, Cleveland Cavaliers [2013-2018]
- GM, Brooklyn Nets [2018-2030, 2031-Present]
- 0 CSL Championships
- 0 Eastern Conference Championships
- 0 Coach of the Year Awards
- 0 GM of the Year Awards

Rizzo's Hall of Fame Players:
- oCSL Marcus Smart
- SG P.J. Hairston [2015 CSL Draft, Pick 1.16]
- C DeAndre Ayton [2022 CSL Draft, Pick 1.3]
- PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander [2025 CSL Draft, Pick 1.1]

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Good read man, and I agree with most of your assements. This is the division of death this year, so I think whoever is willing to make that big move will be the winner of this division.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Tbh I’m no Solomon fan. Maybe it’s only me though. I do think Gordon is > rich as Oreb somehow became super strong in dds19. But Marcos is right. We are searching for a PF that fits into our line up. Fox, Cordi, Bridges and Hassan are set. We miss a fitting PF though. It’s at the same time difficult to find a fitting upgrade though. There are only a really few.
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

TheTwoWallaces
CEO

Post by TheTwoWallaces »

Great article. I’m looking forward to the other 5 divisions.

The Atlantic is probably the most stacked division in the league, which makes it the hardest division to find trades that fit.

I hope Philly gets active on the trade market, as they’re so close to being championship contenders.
DETROIT BASKETBALL

Krejci | Melton | Campazzo
Porter | Notice | King
Johnson | Kispert
McDaniels | Martin | Petrusev
Wiseman | Stewart

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

What a fantastic read! Good work Marcos, this should be a good series. As for those trade targets (Sam Thompson/Jalen Jones) they both are great fits at a hopefully affordable price. That said assuming Troy Daniels, Avery Bradley sign they give us some great backcourt depth (alongside Rose) and we can move Bradley Beal to backup SF. We've targeted Harrison Barnes as our starting SF, he's a high IQ guy who can defend perimeter players in space and provide some offense on low USG%. So we'll see but a trade might not be necessary if my plan comes to fruition.

As for the other teams I can see you spent time finding near perfect fits for the other 4 teams.
Ball is Life.

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

blackice wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:34 pm What a fantastic read! Good work Marcos, this should be a good series. As for those trade targets (Sam Thompson/Jalen Jones) they both are great fits at a hopefully affordable price. That said assuming Troy Daniels, Avery Bradley sign they give us some great backcourt depth (alongside Rose) and we can move Bradley Beal to backup SF. We've targeted Harrison Barnes as our starting SF, he's a high IQ guy who can defend perimeter players in space and provide some offense on low USG%. So we'll see but a trade might not be necessary if my plan comes to fruition.

As for the other teams I can see you spent time finding near perfect fits for the other 4 teams.
I like Barnes, though I believe a lower usage option would be much more appropriate for a roster full of scorers like yours, that's why I went to do some research on potential options who doesn't shoot as much as Barnes does.
I guess Jones would be a picture perfect addition as he brings solid STL / DEF / HDL without even touching the ball on offense. Thompson will let it fly a bit more but he's still better defensively than Barnes and less shot hungry, so he also fits the bill.
At least you have a solid starting option in Barnes, so either if you make a deal or not, you're gonna be fine at SF.

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

Dennis wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:34 pm Tbh I’m no Solomon fan. Maybe it’s only me though. I do think Gordon is > rich as Oreb somehow became super strong in dds19. But Marcos is right. We are searching for a PF that fits into our line up. Fox, Cordi, Bridges and Hassan are set. We miss a fitting PF though. It’s at the same time difficult to find a fitting upgrade though. There are only a really few.
Really, really hard to find a PF for your team, dude. I'm a big time fan of Solomon, specially to stop Anthony Davis during postseason, but at 33, I can see why you don't see him as an option. Too bad because I truly believe he would add a lot more to your team than Gordon, but yeah, it's more about preferences, they're on the same level I believe, it's about skillsets.
But it was really hard to find any kind of weaknesses in your roster, which shows how good you are in building good squads. A little bit more of star power and you would be in the finals with ease.

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

Rizzo wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:17 pm James Harden, huh? Let's get it done!
Dude, it's doable, you have the pieces, and the Clippers should like the young players you have and Turner, as they don't have a quality starting C. Get this done and bring Harden for a real playoff push!

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

Marcos_Beck wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:05 pm
blackice wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:34 pm What a fantastic read! Good work Marcos, this should be a good series. As for those trade targets (Sam Thompson/Jalen Jones) they both are great fits at a hopefully affordable price. That said assuming Troy Daniels, Avery Bradley sign they give us some great backcourt depth (alongside Rose) and we can move Bradley Beal to backup SF. We've targeted Harrison Barnes as our starting SF, he's a high IQ guy who can defend perimeter players in space and provide some offense on low USG%. So we'll see but a trade might not be necessary if my plan comes to fruition.

I like Barnes, though I believe a lower usage option would be much more appropriate for a roster full of scorers like yours, that's why I went to do some research on potential options who doesn't shoot as much as Barnes does.
I guess Jones would be a picture perfect addition as he brings solid STL / DEF / HDL without even touching the ball on offense. Thompson will let it fly a bit more but he's still better defensively than Barnes and less shot hungry, so he also fits the bill.
At least you have a solid starting option in Barnes, so either if you make a deal or not, you're gonna be fine at SF.
I complete agree on all the point's you brought up, Barnes is kind of the best of the options we have at this point and we'll have a solid month to try him out but I agree that a guy like Jones would be ideal. If it just costs us some big man depth we'll have to seriously consider it assuming MIL has any interest. I do like the shotblocking and rim protection that N'Diaye gives us on the back end of the defense so we'll see. Kanter is expiring and we need to resign Joseph eventually so that cap flexibility is nice to have. Still, good to have options. Last season we basically built a defensive team around Joseph (in that AI/Westbrook mold) but he was our only real offensive option, so we tried to learn a lesson and surround him with multiple ball handlers and scorers. We need to implement an offense that preach's ball movement and taking advantage of mismatch's. The nice thing about Barnes is you can't hide a weak defender on him or he'll make teams pay on that end. But if he starts taking shots from our big 3 we'll either start Harris or make a move on the trade market.
Ball is Life.

Stockton12
Chairman of the Board

Post by Stockton12 »

Good write up mate good to have you back

rh0xxy
CSL Champ 2025

Post by rh0xxy »

Man I honestly envy your way of convincing people on trading standpoint. I agree with most of the inputs you shared here and I'm looking forward to the rest of the Divisions.
Philadelphia 76ers

Depth Chart
Starters: Morant-Mitchell-Swanigan-Adebayo-Collins
Bench: Maxey-Sotto-Tsalmpouris-Liddell-Giles-Tucker-Hifi
IR: Phills-Richards-Weber
2W: Houstan-Okeke

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

rh0xxy wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:38 am Man I honestly envy your way of convincing people on trading standpoint. I agree with most of the inputs you shared here and I'm looking forward to the rest of the Divisions.
That’s because it’s logical.
I mean, you can argue that, from personal preferences, one can dislike player X or Y, or value X over Y like Dennis with Gordon and Solomon.
But it’s debatable at least and it makes a lot of sense all around, each and every scenario.
The idea is never to think with your head only, cause once you have some “pre set” ideas you won’t be able to explore the scenarios the way you have to. Remember there are two sides always, or even 3, 4. If you can find something that both teams logically needs, then it’s about personal preferences only.
When you think about what you need only + suppose what the other GM thinks about a player you’re basically restricting yourself from creating those trade scenarios..

I don’t know if I was able to explain myself well here but basically you pick team A who needs a defensive Center and team B who has a defensive center and needs a playmaking PG (which team A has), that’s an idea. Team A might not like the Center team B is offering, but at least he’ll consider something as you are helping both sides here.
Or if a team is trying to contend and the other to rebuild, youth all of a sudden becomes much more attractive to the rebuilding team while the contender will be looking for talent and fit instead of age.
Player value is relative, a player is more valuable for team A than team B because of age / contract / skillset / fit / whatever. That’s why you have to find the correct situations for a deal, you can see I’m not telling NY to trade for Miles Bridges because the Celtics won’t deal him at all, but Memphis might deal Middleton for real as they are rebuilding.
Or Arcidiacono, he’s a young option for the Clippers but never a piece they’d keep for the long run because of his flaws which can easily be explored + they have Russell as their point guard. They have no C, that makes Jones extremely valuable for them, as his flaws are easier to hide and he plays a position of need.

rh0xxy
CSL Champ 2025

Post by rh0xxy »

Yeah that makes all sense but still your PR skill is above the rest lol
Philadelphia 76ers

Depth Chart
Starters: Morant-Mitchell-Swanigan-Adebayo-Collins
Bench: Maxey-Sotto-Tsalmpouris-Liddell-Giles-Tucker-Hifi
IR: Phills-Richards-Weber
2W: Houstan-Okeke

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

It's definitely good to have Marcos back in the league. This was a very quality article and loved reading it.

I can see Dennis doing something because what he has is so good but never seems to be enough when it counts. Probably similar to us before Westbrook came to town to tip us over the top. He's set in his valuations though so yeah, whilst someone like Solomon looks the part, don't think Dennis has ever been high on him like others. Wonder who else he will look at as I saw he was shopping a couple of items that could be good for other teams.

Sixers still need an active GM to do anything really. Been non-existent for far too long with such a talented roster.

Raptors are a team I just can't pick. Like I could see them clicking and being a top 4 seed just as easily as I could see them bomb and easily miss the playoffs given the depth in the east. The Austin experiment might dictate that early on.

Love the Nets bookends obviously. SGA and Ayton, two number one picks on the same team for years and years to come is just unfair. I absolutely agree with you though and even if it's not Harden, if they want to compete they'll need to make that type of move. They're just not experience enough to scare the Celtic/Heat/Piston/Hawk top teams of the east. Adam might be cool with it playing out though and attacking in the very near future.

This Knicks team will be scary good I'm thinking. If DePaula wasn't injured, I'd actually have this team as a home court option this very year. Like the Nets, they have so much young talent but even if it wasn't GDP, a great move bringing in an experienced head to add to that core. That's a point a lot of younger teams miss out on and Andrew did well. Watch them closely if they can make the playoffs and have a healthy roster. A Middleton type guy could put them over the top absolutely.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

In the end I will shock you all and Briges is going to be our PF :P
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Good read!
I didn't have time to read all the extended answers, but just my first thoughts.

Boston - I like the idea of Solomon, was always a fan of his skill set and I could see that he could make Bostons impressive lineup even better

Philly - Arcidiacono absolutely had a productive last season. He is solid, but I'm not sure how much he would help the 76ers. But it may be indeed one of their weaker spots.

Toronto - Definitely like the idea of Thompson and Jones. Both are underrated imo and almost every contender could use them.

Brooklyn - yeah, I would stay away from Harden. I think they have better player already and looking back at Gary's try with Durant and Westbrook, I lost a little confidence in what aging stars really can bring to the table in 19. But I traded for Porter too haha

New York - adding Khris would be a HUGE upgrade!