League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

New Era, Small Steps: Indiana Pacers 2024 Review

Write updates about your team or the league here.
TheTwoWallaces
CEO

New Era, Small Steps: Indiana Pacers 2024 Review

Post by TheTwoWallaces »

The Indiana Pacers finished the 2024 season with a record of 40-42, a significant improvement on the year before. Nonetheless, the team's hot start, cold mid-season, and lukewarm season ending leaves this season open to interpretation. What you want to see is what you get.

The Positives

The new core of Michael Porter, Semi Ojeleye, Collin Sexton, and Justin Patton was more than willing to steer the course of the franchise. Gone are the days of Kevin Love, Victor Oladipo, and Justise Winslow. In their place, a group of guys on their rookie contracts who took the Pacers to a 20-8 start. Going forward, the Pacers have long-term security at both Forward positions and an ample PG to boot.

The franchise's depth proved an asset over the course of the season. While Porter's broken ankle did set the team back, being able to rotate players such as Branden Dawson, Fred VanVleet, Monte Morris, etc. without breaking stride proved to be very valuable. The Pacers never had a shortage of options for any particular matchup.

The 10th pick in the draft will be very valuable to the franchise. Shooting Guard and Center remain positions of weakness, despite solid contributions from Rawle Alkins and Eric Mika. Other positions of interest include backup PG and perimeter defense. Regardless, one more additional asset could be all this franchise needs to get over the hump and into the Eastern Conference playoffs.

ImageThe Michael Porter Jr. Show has not yet started. Will Year 3 be any different?

The Negatives

After Michael Porter Jr broke his ankle, the franchise went 20-34, resulting in another consecutive lottery pick. The team struggled offensively, especially in the 4th quarter. Michael Porter has not yet developed into the primary scorer that he is expected to be. Without that, the team struggled to find buckets when it mattered most.

Backups in the backcourt. Monte Morris, Gary Payton II, and Dejounte Murray all struggled. Their lackluster shooting and turnover-prone play cost the Pacers dearly whenever Sexton and Alkins left the floor. After the trade deadline trade of Allen Crabbe, the Pacers just did not have the firepower in the backcourt to make a playoff run. Rumors may start to circulate that one of MPJ, Justin Patton, or Semi Ojeleye could be traded for additional backcourt security.

Coaching was lackluster all season long. Tragically, a pandemic destroyed the coaching staff's ability to micromanage the team, which was the plan going into the season. A lot has happened over the past few months (my family moved to a new country, family members died from the virus, fighting fascism, etc.), and the Pacers front office frankly did not coach this team as much as necessary. Hopefully this off-season and one more summer of player development will be all this team needs to hit the 2025 season running.

Go Indy Go!
DETROIT BASKETBALL

Krejci | Melton | Campazzo
Porter | Notice | King
Johnson | Kispert
McDaniels | Martin | Petrusev
Wiseman | Stewart

cb4raptorscb4
Commissioner

Re: New Era, Small Steps: Indiana Pacers 2024 Review

Post by cb4raptorscb4 »

Firstly, very sorry to hear about your family. Hope you're doing okay.

With respect to the Pacers, obviously the MPJ injury hurt you. It was quite the season after the crazy hot preseason and the 20-8 start. It's hard to say what next season will hold for the Pacers, but you've got a pretty nice young core working for you.
Golden State Warriors
Kris Dunn | PJ Dozier | Ding Yanyuhang | Kevon Looney | Chimezie Metu
Devonte Graham | Nimrod Levi | Tariq Owens | Johnny Hamilton
'23: 34-48 (5-8 as GM)
'24: 40-42, 1st Round Exit
'25: 50-32, Championship Round Loss (4-3)
'26: 48-34, 1st Round Exit
'27: 44-38, Missed Playoffs
'28: 39-43, 1st Round Exit
'29: 57-25, Championship Round Loss (4-2)
'30: 48-34, Conference Finals Loss (4-1)

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

Yeah, to echo Ryan I'm sorry to hear about your family - that's terrible news.

As for the team, it has a TON of depth like you said and I think the talent is overall there. Mika and Patton are beasts and I think Porter is going to take a leap next season which is scary. Like you said, I think if you were able to micro manage the team closer I think you are in the playoffs. I don't think the team is there yet to be a true contender but you are really close IMO.

I'm loving all of the competition in our division and I want to see all 5 teams make the playoffs next year.

wms02a
CEO

Post by wms02a »

You did an amazing job shaping this team and finding gems... excited to see the teams growth next year. So sorry about your losses and happy you are around
Dallas Maverick GM

2024: San Antonio Spurs - Southwest Division Champion, GM of the Year, Coach of the Year
2025: San Antonio Spurs - Western Conference Champions

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Sorry to hear about what happened to your family man. Real life always come first, as this is just a game afterall. I think this team is still very talented, and I believe you will be in the playoffs next season.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Man, this Indiana team must be one of the weirdest things I have seen in DDS.
So dominant in pre-season and at the begin of the season. Injuries always hurt and can take out all the wind out of the sails. But the team really never recovered fully from it.

I like the young core a lot and I'm very interested to see how the team starts into the next season.
Some roster changes will probably happen with draft in FA ahead.

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

This team had a hot start and cooled off some later in the season but I love Porter and you've done a good job signing and trading for depth around your star. Ojeleye/Patton are above average starters and you have some flexibility moving forward.
Ball is Life.

Stockton12
Chairman of the Board

Post by Stockton12 »

Sorry to hear about your family ..the Pacers have a young And exciting roster plus Patton looked good this year

rh0xxy
CSL Champ 2025

Post by rh0xxy »

sorry to hear about your loss..

you have a nice young core, i'm pretty sure you'll be in the Playoffs sooner than later..
Philadelphia 76ers

Depth Chart
Starters: Morant-Mitchell-Swanigan-Adebayo-Collins
Bench: Maxey-Sotto-Tsalmpouris-Liddell-Giles-Tucker-Hifi
IR: Phills-Richards-Weber
2W: Houstan-Okeke

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Post by Rizzo »

Damn, sorry to hear about the loss of your family members. Incredible how deadly this virus continues to be and some still refuse to take it seriously.

I hope the move for your family has you guys in a better place for now and for your future. Hopefully this place can be a distraction for you in your time of hardship.
Career Accolades:
- GM, Cleveland Cavaliers [2013-2018]
- GM, Brooklyn Nets [2018-2030, 2031-Present]
- 0 CSL Championships
- 0 Eastern Conference Championships
- 0 Coach of the Year Awards
- 0 GM of the Year Awards

Rizzo's Hall of Fame Players:
- oCSL Marcus Smart
- SG P.J. Hairston [2015 CSL Draft, Pick 1.16]
- C DeAndre Ayton [2022 CSL Draft, Pick 1.3]
- PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander [2025 CSL Draft, Pick 1.1]

TheTwoWallaces
CEO

Post by TheTwoWallaces »

Cheers all. It's good to be back, and just in time for an exciting offseason.
DETROIT BASKETBALL

Krejci | Melton | Campazzo
Porter | Notice | King
Johnson | Kispert
McDaniels | Martin | Petrusev
Wiseman | Stewart