League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

We will be back - Atlanta season review

Write updates about your team or the league here.
Flaming Homer
Commissioner

We will be back - Atlanta season review

Post by Flaming Homer »

Ok, the off-season just started for the Hawks. Not exactly the time we hoped for, but Detroit proofed a bit too much just yet.
Looking in the rear mirror, it was an interesting season for the Hawks. Last off-season we addressed some financial short comings and tried to round out the roster, fixing flaws exploited by the old engine.
Of course, no one really knew back then if any of roster changes around the league would work or not. The new engine would show.

We shipped out 2 young players who were regular parts in our rotation in Vezenkov and Kennard. Both were valued high by the FO, but both were about to get paid and the Atlanta finances didn't look so pretty.
One weakness we wanted to address was our front court, we added Zach Collins in exchange for Vezenkov and besides adding another big gained one year more on a rookie contract. Kennard had to be bundled with Jrue Holliday to shed some salary and acquiring Mitch McGary, a experienced vet from Sacramento who was supposed to bring some more offense variety to our team.
To fill the void, Kennard left, we drafted Kevin Huerter. Not quite the defender Kennard is, but arguably an even better 3pt shooter. We will find out about that in a season or two.
Then we went on the cheap and added some vets like KJ McDaniels and Michael Carter Williams for minimum.

Overall, I liked how the team looked and thought it was better balanced as the year before. Expectation was to make it back to the playoffs and getting some development from Young, Collins and Huerter.
The big question mark was how Dante Exum will look in the new engine. The team is built around him, no question about that. If he is not able to play up to his ratings this whole team must be blown up.

The season started much better than the year before and we could establish a position on top of the East. Exum's offense numbers were not eye catching but looking at the advanced stats and seeing how the team played with and without him told me that he is indeed the player who is most important to us.
That was proofed often during the season, he had two minor injuries and the team had a tough time to hang in there. In the end we played very constant, not many "dumb" losses and could secure home court for round 1 of the playoffs.

After playing good basketball in round 1 against a very talented and now good coached 76ers team, we were to meet the Detroit Pistons. Jon has his team playing great for many seasons now. There are not many GM's around who are able this kind of track record.
I still liked our chances, during the season we played them well and I thought with McGary, Collins and Young we should have enough defense down low to make it very hard for their MVP SJJ.
Long story short, we weren't ready yet. Most games were very close, and it was hardnosed basketball, but a bit here and there didn't go our way.
We are also still not able to replace Exum in case he misses some time. Even as MCW was stepping up big time, this guy is the biggest surprise to me for this season!
I put him on PG on some point because there was no other PG left and he used his chance to the fullest.

We accomplished our goals from before the season. But it still feels like there was more possible ... maybe.

I expect the core of the team to be back and try to play it better next season.
But we can’t stand still in the improving East, so all possible options will be at least on the table.

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Re: We will be back - Atlanta season review

Post by emplep7 »

I still think you probably come out in game 7 with a healthy Exum but it was a blood bath of injuries throughout the series which means it would have been a great set of games to watch from the fans perspective. Like I said before, keep the core and continue to build on what you have. Retool here and there, but theres no reason to blow it up since your team is right up there with the top teams IMO.

Great series again and great season overall!

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

it's scary that your team is this good without GDP

cb4raptorscb4
Commissioner

Post by cb4raptorscb4 »

Hawks were awesome this year, even with the GDP injuries. It will be interesting to see if you flip GDP (since I think his name has been out there for quite some time now) and see what you can get to help the roster. I have the Hawks as serious contenders next season.
Golden State Warriors
Kris Dunn | PJ Dozier | Ding Yanyuhang | Kevon Looney | Chimezie Metu
Devonte Graham | Nimrod Levi | Tariq Owens | Johnny Hamilton
'23: 34-48 (5-8 as GM)
'24: 40-42, 1st Round Exit
'25: 50-32, Championship Round Loss (4-3)
'26: 48-34, 1st Round Exit
'27: 44-38, Missed Playoffs
'28: 39-43, 1st Round Exit
'29: 57-25, Championship Round Loss (4-2)
'30: 48-34, Conference Finals Loss (4-1)

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

KW wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:35 pm it's scary that your team is this good without GDP
GDP made it quite hard for me to get an idea how important he is with all the vacation he took ;)
My big question is, is it worth it to wait until he returns during next year and find out.

Or Ryan may be right and I send him out in a S&T. I will certainly look into all offers.

wms02a
CEO

Post by wms02a »

Great season! Nothing to be ashamed of. Will be interesting how the league handles DePaula in FA with his current injury. It might be a blessing in disguise him being out for almost a year now
Dallas Maverick GM

2024: San Antonio Spurs - Southwest Division Champion, GM of the Year, Coach of the Year
2025: San Antonio Spurs - Western Conference Champions

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Yepp, he was a clear max player going into this season. With his injury now that may only be the case to certain teams.

Ramcus
CEO

Post by Ramcus »

You guys were incredible early in the season, and surprised everyone when you guys kept going without DePaula. I think because you guys found so much success without him, it's not as important for you guys to retain him. It's more important, in my opinion, for you to use your cap space and round out the rest of your roster. Excited to see this team in the playoff hunt again next season.

I wonder if GDP's going to get a max.
Stay Me7o Image
NOLA 2022-2030: 292-364
BRK 2030-2031: Interim GM/Coach | CSL Champion
LAC 2031-present

Stockton12
Chairman of the Board

Post by Stockton12 »

Hawks did really well without gdp and we could have gone further had injuries not hit ..proud of you bro you did well

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

Talk about a rough season in regards to injuries. Fantastic start to the year, then DePaula going down for the year forced you to reshape your team on the fly. You went through a turbulent part of the season, withstanding several injuries to key guys (including Exum getting banged up a few times) and put yourself in good position for the postseason. Getting through the East was always going to be really tough, but of course the injury bug wasn't done with your team. Up 3 games to 2 and a healthy Exum, I liked your chances of advancing. There's no guarantees of course, but you guys fought Detroit tough all year long.

You'll undoubtedly be back next year, and hopefully with a healthier team.

Really glad to see Collins play well with you guys. He and Young formed a really strong interior.

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

The Vezenkov-Collins trade was one of this trades both teams improve and get what they want out of it. Happy we were able to get it done last off-season!!

I just hope for a bit more luck during next season. Hopefully the core can play another season like that.

Stockton12
Chairman of the Board

Post by Stockton12 »

Hawks will bounce back ..question marks are seriously over gdp but depends on price and who offers for him hawks need more quality depth .

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Great season considering the circumstances
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Honestly this team is very talented, and I think you should run it back with this cast. Maybe a big GDP trade could be the move you need to take it to the next level though. It's always tough because this group worked so well, despite injury problems.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

I think you did a great job squeezing this roster of every bit of talent and production that you could, just a wonderful GMing job here. Exum dealt with some injury problems and George DePaula was out for a while too. This team should be a problem for the rest of us in the East next season.
Ball is Life.