League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

A look at the first 4 years of the Monk/KAT era

Write updates about your team or the league here.
KW
CSL Champ 2017

A look at the first 4 years of the Monk/KAT era

Post by KW »

On the heels of an embarrassing choke job in the first round to the Spurs that I'm simply never going to bring up again, let's take a look back at the first four seasons of this iteration of the Rockets.

2021-22

Coming off a tumultuous season in which the Rockets attempted a typical rebuild, then completely changed course and traded the farm for Dante Exum, then traded Exum because he got hurt every third game, the Rockets didn't come into this season with a ton of expectations.

Coming into the season with a core of rookie Malik Monk, star big Karl-Anthony Towns, and talented prospects Dragan Bender, Tyus Jones, Kevon Looney, Davis Bertans, and Justin Patton, the Rockets found success with a mid-tempo offense and heavy zone usage to combat its defensive woes.

Good health and a midseason 15-game win streak propelled them to 50 wins and the 6th seed in the West, but they were promptly eliminated by a veteran-laden Mavs team in the first round. A good start for a team of players barely old enough to legally buy alcohol, but hoping for more.

2022-23

That offseason, the Rockets went into the summer with a lot of cap space, but most of that went into re-signing Jones and Looney. Minor signings such as veterans and trades for Briante Weber and Delon Wright bolstered the team, but the young core stayed largely the same in the offseason.

The lone shakeup came during the season, when the Rockets committed to winning now, trading Jones, Weber, and others for the veteran Kemba Walker. Initial struggles with team chemistry sent the team into a frenzy, wondering if they completely blew their title chances. But they found their way eventually, embarking on an impressive streak that saw them win 29 times in 34 games.

This was stopped dead in its tracks in mid March with two-month injuries to Walker and Towns after locking up a playoff berth, joining Justin Patton and Mirza Teletovic on the list of players done for the season due to injury. Jeremy Lin would join them in the playoffs.

Though depleted, the Rockets would still have their moments in the playoffs. The 20-year-old Monk would carry the Rockets past the Blazers in 7 in the 4/5 matchup in a breakout series. The Rockets made it a series against the Thunder in the second round, but the lack of weapons was just too much to overcome, losing in 6 to the defending champs.

2023-24

This season was headlined by the signing of Rockets legend James Harden, the draft pick of Michael Porter (eventually dealt for Justise Winslow), and the acquisition of Marquese Chriss. The Rockets lost a ton of depth, and multiple future picks in an attempt to go all in on the final years of Walker and Harden's primes.

The regular season was the best since the Harden/Faried/Iggy days, 55 wins and the 3 seed locked up with relative ease, and no injuries to carry into the playoffs. With a tempo cranked up to the max, this was a fun team to manage. This playoff run was a pretty epic ride.

We found ourselves in a 1-3 hole to Denver in round 1, a team that had our number all season, but pulled through due to two of the most ridiculous scoring games in CSL Playoff history in games 5 and 6 (143 and 157 points). The winner of each of these games scored at least 125. Then in a relative slugfest, we took care of business vs Sacramento in 6, despite a very limited Towns for most of the series.

Then came the ultimate test- the eventual champion Phoenix Suns, whose defense locked down tight. We fell into a 1-3 hole again and would've been swept if Doral Moore hadn't made his only 3 ever in a 1-point win. However we would force a game 7 after completely revamping our game plan on the fly. We would hold Phoenix to just 80 points in game 7, but could only muster 74 ourselves in a heartbreaker.

2024-25

This offseason was a very quiet one for Houston- no picks, no cap, only one trade affecting the bench (Okobo for Mika). We just re-signed our guys and went into the new season with a new engine. The whole situation was a catastrophe. We had major issues on offense finding the right game plan, then lost Harden to a torn Achilles, Kemba for a couple months, and dealt about half the roster to completely retool the supporting cast around Monk, Towns, Bender, and Winslow.

Trades brought in a number of defenders to plug into a switching defense in Oladipo, Shane Larkin, Antetokounmpo, Boucher, and Dotson. Monk would be the only below average defensive player to consistently get minutes on the team going forward. He was largely carrying the offense, averaging 24ppg.

As the season went along, we figured out our defense, holding opposing teams below 80 points a whopping 13 times after the trade deadline. The offense wasn't in peak condition, playing downtempo as much as possible, but it worked in the regular season. The team was 20-6 from the trade deadline to the time where they benched everyone in the final games before the playoffs.

Going up 3-1 despite Towns missing 3 of those games, Houston stuck with the game plan that got them there, but just could not seal the deal. The Spurs scored 123 in Game 5, by far the highest total by an opponent since the trades, and would win the next two games by 4 and 7 points.

Where do the Rockets go from here?

The plan is to run it back with as much of this team as possible. Malik Monk will be maxed on Day 1 of free agency. The Rockets will attempt to retain Kemba Walker, who will be 35 years old, but depth is going to be an issue next season due to the hard cap.

There's a lot to improve on offensively- the Rockets were not consistent offensively this year at all. Part of that stems from Monk himself, who was exceptionally hot and cold, and went cold at the worst possible time (30.7% from three in the Spurs series, bookended by 1-13 and 2-15 performances in Games 1 and 7). But the Rockets could use a more consistent shooter in the backcourt. Maybe that will be Okobo next season, or someone not currently on the team.

They have to find a middle ground for Dragan Bender, somewhere between the high usage of the first half of the season, and the disappearing act he pulled after the deadline and several instructions. This may include changing the whole offensive game plan, as Bender's touches fell off a cliff upon going downtempo midseason. He should definitely be more involved, as he shot nearly 50% and 43% from three on the season.

All signs point to the Monk/Towns duo sticking around for a while longer, but the pieces around them could definitely change after three years of coming up short of expectations.

wms02a
CEO

Re: A look at the first 4 years of the Monk/KAT era

Post by wms02a »

I do not think there is a GM in the CSL that would not want to have the Monk/KAT as their team cornerstone. As I look at your roster I wonder what will happen to Bender and Winslow. Both are young, but also on Max/near Max contracts and take away possessions from Monk and KAT. I could see one or both being traded this offseason for a defensive PG and move Monk to SG.

No matter what you do, the future is bright in Houston with Monk/KAT.

Go Spurs Go! :)
Dallas Maverick GM

2024: San Antonio Spurs - Southwest Division Champion, GM of the Year, Coach of the Year
2025: San Antonio Spurs - Western Conference Champions

Ramcus
CEO

Post by Ramcus »

Excited to see what moves you guys make this off season. Whether to double down on your strengths or work on your weaknesses, your team needs to find more consistency.
Stay Me7o Image
NOLA 2022-2030: 292-364
BRK 2030-2031: Interim GM/Coach | CSL Champion
LAC 2031-present

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

On paper one of the most talented teams in the CSL imo.
Still stunned of the outcome, but with DDS you never know ...

But I think running it back would be my choice as well, the teams was playing well and maybe just hit a low at the wrong time. One more consistent top scorer besides Monk could go long ways, just to be there if Monk has an off day. I think most of us thought KAT will be this guy, but he seems to be too shy to get the ball often enough.

Not worried about Houston tho, you will figure that out for sure!

Stockton12
Chairman of the Board

Post by Stockton12 »

Kat and monk will be there for many years ..I agree I think u need a point guard then shift monk to sg . You might need to trade one of bender or Winslow to ease your cap situation

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

We've had some good post season battles over the years and I was looking forward to another but then we both checked out early, lol. Those are the breaks sometimes.

Not sure how the series played out like that but I've no doubt this team has enough talent to run the course again. It's fully what I expect with tweaks here and there but the core intact.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

Sometimes your team just runs into an inexplicable cold streak. If Monk shoots anywhere close to his season averages, you win the series easily. At the end of the day, you can have perfect gameplan, but if your guys don't make shots, it doesn't matter.

I expect you to run it back next year. Your team was one of the hottest (if not the hottest) after the trade deadline. Depth is always a concern when you have some large salaries on your team, but I have no doubt you'll make it work with some tinkering.

cb4raptorscb4
Commissioner

Post by cb4raptorscb4 »

It was a crazy turn of events. The Rockets were up there with the Suns in terms of hottest teams down the stretch. Whatever the Spurs did in Games 5-7, bravo. That being said, I can't blame you for sticking with the core and just making some minor tweaks into next season.
Golden State Warriors
Kris Dunn | PJ Dozier | Ding Yanyuhang | Kevon Looney | Chimezie Metu
Devonte Graham | Nimrod Levi | Tariq Owens | Johnny Hamilton
'23: 34-48 (5-8 as GM)
'24: 40-42, 1st Round Exit
'25: 50-32, Championship Round Loss (4-3)
'26: 48-34, 1st Round Exit
'27: 44-38, Missed Playoffs
'28: 39-43, 1st Round Exit
'29: 57-25, Championship Round Loss (4-2)
'30: 48-34, Conference Finals Loss (4-1)

wms02a
CEO

Post by wms02a »

cb4raptorscb4 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:52 pm Whatever the Spurs did in Games 5-7, bravo.
Not have a GM? :)
Dallas Maverick GM

2024: San Antonio Spurs - Southwest Division Champion, GM of the Year, Coach of the Year
2025: San Antonio Spurs - Western Conference Champions

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

Yeah, Monk looked like he might not translate well that first month but then he turned it up and he looks like the same old ridiculous scorer that he was in DDS3. This team is going to always compete and you will always make a million trades to get them there so I wouldnt be too worried.

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

This team is still very talented on paper, and perhaps with another year of jelling, then they will make a deep run next season. Running it back is a no brainer.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

TheTwoWallaces
CEO

Post by TheTwoWallaces »

What a fun series of trades. One would think that KAT + Monk need a defensive wing to form a big 3, but I’m not sold on Winslow. He might take away too much offense from KAT And Monk. Curious to see what Houston’s offseason looks like
DETROIT BASKETBALL

Krejci | Melton | Campazzo
Porter | Notice | King
Johnson | Kispert
McDaniels | Martin | Petrusev
Wiseman | Stewart

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Monk and Kat are a great 1-2 punch. But I wouldn't be surprised to see Kat traded this summer, if the right deal popped up...
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson