League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

First Quarter Progress Report

Write updates about your team or the league here.
Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

First Quarter Progress Report

Post by Myles »

Tatum Leading the Nuggets to Top of the West
Tatum has stepped his game up another level this season

We're about 20 games through the 2024-25 CSL season, so what better time than to take a step back and evaluate where the Nuggets are at and where they are headed? At 15-6, the Nuggets boast the best record in the West and second best in the CSL, behind only the talented (and finally organized) Philadelphia 76ers.

Point Guard
John Wall - 18.6 ppg, 8.4 apg, 1.5 spg, 3.0 topg, 53% TS, +1.4 on/off
Sinan Guler - 7.7 ppg, 4.2 apg, 1 spg, 1.9 topg, 58.3% TS, -1.4 on/off
Alex Caruso - 4.6 ppg, 72% TS, +7.5 on/off

The point guard position has been a strong one for us so far, with Wall and Guler being integral parts of our attack on both sides of the ball. They are sharing the ball very well, posting assist rates of 44% and 31%, respectively, and are each stopping around 88% of the drives they have faced. Wall has struggled shooting the ball, but his ability to get to the line has really offset that, and Guler has shot well enough from every range. Caruso has been counted on more as a shooter, and he's doing his job, shooting over 50% from deep on great volume (9 three-point attempts per 36).

Shooting Guard
James Young - 17.4 ppg, 4.3 apg, 4 rpg, 1.2 spg, 53.7% TS, -10.9 on/off
Treveon Graham - 9.1 ppg, 59.2% TS, -1.3 on/off

The on/off numbers look a little strange, but Young splits time between SG/SF pretty evenly and our worst lineups tend to be when Tatum isn't on the court, and that means Young at SF usually. Both of these players have positive On ratings, which may be the more important indicator in this instance anyway. Young asked for an opportunity to prove himself as a starter, and he's done really well, stepping up as the third star on this team. He's shot well from each individual zone of the court, but he's either going to need to get to the basket more or get fouled more to truly step up as someone who can carry the load offensively. His defense and Treveon Graham's defense have both been excellent, stopping 82% and 93% of drives, respectively, and Graham's continued his reign as one of the best 3&D players in the league, shooting 43% from deep and letting it fly whenever he gets the chance.

Small Forward
Jayson Tatum - 23.5 ppg, 5.4 rpg, 1.4 spg, 58.6% TS, +6 on/off
Malik Pope - 3.6 ppg, 58.3% TS, -8.6 on/off

Tatum is the star of this team, and is continuing to show why he was drafted 1st overall. On top of his offense taking the step forward into superstar territory, his defense has also improved. He's stopping 85% of drives and forcing more than 2 turnovers per game. There isn't anywhere on the floor he isn't elite in terms of shooting percentage, making it very difficult to guard him as he can get his no matter where you force him to shoot. 7 of our top 10 lineups include Tatum, and that's absolutely no accident.

Power Forward
Tyler Stone - 7.1 ppg, 11.9 rpg, 49.4% TS, 20.9% TRB, +2.7 on/off
Kennedy Meeks - 4.2 ppg, 6.9 rpg, 46.4% TS, 16.6% TRB, +0.8 on/off

Stone has been the perfect 5th starter for us this season. His rebounding has allowed us to be one of the best rebounding teams in the league, and we routinely outrebound our opponents now. His shooting is a little down compared to what it was, and hopefully he can pick his efficiency up a little bit, but as far as what he brings to the team, he's like our Charles Oakley, doing the dirty work and being a good teammate. Meeks has been pretty much a lite version of Stone.

Center
Andre Drummond - 8.7 ppg, 7.9 rpg, 1.6 bpg, 46.2% TS, 15.6% TRB, 0.92 PA/SF
Dewayne Dedmon - 6.5 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 1.4 bpg, 51.2% TS, 13.8% TRB, 0.9 PA/SF

Drummond has unfortunately taken a pretty big step back, both offensively and defensively. He's not the scorer he once was, as it's clear the rule changes have made it harder for him to get shots at the rim, and he's not the rim protecter either, but he's still a fantastic roleplayer and the perfect fit down low for all the firepower we have on the perimeter. His rebound numbers are a little deflated as he's playing alongside Stone, but his ability paired with Stone really allows us to dominate the glass. Dedmon has been a reliable backup center, basically a lite version of Drummond.

Overall, we have been really pleased with our efforts so far this season. Tatum is the big one obviously, but the rest of the team has stepped up and made themselves an integral part of our winning ways. I don't expect to be the #1 seed in the West come playoff time, but I think we have finally made it into the conversation as one of the elite teams in the league.

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Re: First Quarter Progress Report

Post by KW »

Didn't realize Drummond was struggling as hard as he is, but it definitely looks like Tatum can carry a team now. At this moment, I think he is the front-runner for MVP.

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Jayson Tatum has been incredible this season, as he has established himself as a true alpha in this league. I think this team has transitioned well into the new engine, and as long as you guys stay healthy, I fully expect a deep playoff run from you guys.
Big changes are coming in D.C.

Dylan
Senior Vice President

Post by Dylan »

I think Tatum is the MVP of the league right now and the Nuggets are pretty easily the team to beat in the West. This team is built very nicely for the new engine and Tatum transitioned perfectly. Definitely a true title contender.

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

You definitely figured out the engine already and get the best out of your team. I assume I need to run more tests too to catch you again.
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

I don't think it is so much figuring the engine out as it is Tatum getting in the stage of his career where he can take over.
Also in DDS3 most rooks needed 1-2 season before they really were helpful and Tatum reaches this point now. Just a great year and the rest of the team was set up to support him before and now.
Great pick back then @1 ... I was not sold on him back then as the #1 pick, but he plays a terrific season.

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

Yeah Tatum has really flourished and is completely dominating the league. Glad to see the Nuggets take that next step and JW have another solid year at his age.

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

Flaming Homer wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:21 am I don't think it is so much figuring the engine out as it is Tatum getting in the stage of his career where he can take over.
Also in DDS3 most rooks needed 1-2 season before they really were helpful and Tatum reaches this point now. Just a great year and the rest of the team was set up to support him before and now.
Great pick back then @1 ... I was not sold on him back then as the #1 pick, but he plays a terrific season.
i think it's a combo of all of that. Perfect storm for a great season

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

I can't remember exactly but he got the boost also didn't he? He was already going to be good but that really propelled him (if I'm correct).

Otherwise the Denver mix just seems to work.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

bt wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:33 pm I can't remember exactly but he got the boost also didn't he? He was already going to be good but that really propelled him (if I'm correct).

Otherwise the Denver mix just seems to work.
yes he did. If I'm remembering correctly, Tatum, Ayton, and Trae were all top 5 picks that year that got that boost.

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Forgot about his boost ... that really made another step in his development.

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

If you asked me to create the ideal team I think this would be it. Tatum as the 1st option, strong PG play and shooting all around with a rebounding monster complimenting a defensive anchor at C. Myles did a great job being patient and it's paid off. I'd love to see this team continue to do well and challenge the top teams in the West. With the traditional powerhouses struggling there isn't a better time then now to make a run.
Ball is Life.

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

Tatum is ballin' bro, great work

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF K Middleton |
PF W Kessler | C M Williams