League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Hawks 2023 Season Review

Write updates about your team or the league here.
Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Hawks 2023 Season Review

Post by Flaming Homer »

It certainly was a disappointing season for the Hawks, at least if you just look at the internal goals and what was achieved in the end. The team had hope to make an additional step and close the gap to the elite teams in the East. Didn’t work out this way, and that is 100% on me, but let’s start at the beginning of the season.

The record over the first few weeks of the season may have deceived some outsider. We started with a decent record, but we knew with our schedule in mind, that this was the easy part, the last part going into the playoffs was mostly against the top east teams. We were winning our easy games, but it was alarming to the FO that we struggled in almost all of our early competitive tests. Basic things like rebounding was a problem, having vets like Holiday and KCP in an early season slump can happen, but didn’t make it any easier.

After like 20 games we decided to look for trades to address our area of need without shaking up the roster too much. Except the swap of Chriss for Looney not much materialized. And Looney unfortunately got injured soon after the trade. On paper he delivered what we were asking for, averaging close to 9 rebounds in a little bit more than 20min/game, but he was only able to play the last part of the season.

At the trade deadline the Bulls extracted even more talent from New Orleans with bringing in the arguably still best player in the league with Anthony Davis and it this point was obvious that they would climb the ranks and home-court advantage would be very hard to defend (at this time we were still in a position for rank 4). With no other trade in sight we had to come up with a different strategy and I decided to give our bunch of young players the playing time of the vets to figure out if some of them would step up and can give us this additional help we obviously needed. Plan was to try that a while and go back to the A-roster like 20 games before the playoffs and try to get “hot”. The 8 would be just fine, still an ok draft pick and I thought we would have a puncher's chance if we just could find the right momentum going into the playoffs.
Long story short, they wouldn’t, and we really fell of the cliff. With the vets getting load managed quite a bit we struggled to keep up even in supposedly easy games and of top of that all teams around us started winning more than I thought. I tried to switch it back too late, it seemed the moral was down in the basement and even the vets were calling it in.
Ok, big blunder on my side. But I’m not totally disappointed in this season. I learned some things about the team we got (which of course could be different with DDS19) and about some things I can handle different the next time. Even better we have the first time a lottery pick to boot.

The big and interesting question is now: what to do.

With the switch to the new system I don’t feel the urge to change the roster much without knowing how that will be different, if at all. On the other side I’m not sold on anything either.
It will all depend on how trade talks go and how the draft shakes out.

I’m definitely excited to see the new engine in action and go from there.

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Re: Hawks 2023 Season Review

Post by Marcos_Beck »

Exum and Young are amazing building blocks man.
I expected a better season out of Atlanta but of course you'll have a lotto pick to add and there's also KCP, Henson, GDP and Jrue. This is a talented team that, with a few correct moves, could fight for HCA next season.
Adding shooting would be great, as well as an stretch big
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Yeah, I see it the same way. I like the setup of the team still quite a bit and for now I only plan to adjust it a little bit.
But it is also set up that I can pull the plug easily after next season and have around 40Mil in cap and Exum, Young still under contract. So, lot of options going forward.

mgtr81
Chairman of the Board

Post by mgtr81 »

I think that with the roster you have you did a pretty good job. There is tough competition in the East, and 37 wins is not that bad. That first round pick could get you a very useful player in the new engine, if the draft unfolds as expected.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Stockton12
Chairman of the Board

Post by Stockton12 »

It’s all about dds 19 wait and see what happens then make your move ..hawks are a good team nd you will have cap flexibility soon ..you need a good big man next to young

cb4raptorscb4
Commissioner

Post by cb4raptorscb4 »

Tough season, but some nice young pieces and as you said you get to add another lottery pick. A backcourt of DePaula and Exum is actually pretty nice, but you'll have to have shooting at the other positions likely.
Golden State Warriors
Kris Dunn | PJ Dozier | Ding Yanyuhang | Kevon Looney | Chimezie Metu
Devonte Graham | Nimrod Levi | Tariq Owens | Johnny Hamilton
'23: 34-48 (5-8 as GM)
'24: 40-42, 1st Round Exit
'25: 50-32, Championship Round Loss (4-3)
'26: 48-34, 1st Round Exit
'27: 44-38, Missed Playoffs
'28: 39-43, 1st Round Exit
'29: 57-25, Championship Round Loss (4-2)
'30: 48-34, Conference Finals Loss (4-1)

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

I’m actually wondering what happened here. I had the hawks as top4 team when the season started. I’m also super interested in how that team transfers to 19. From what I read and saw, isnt Exum the perfect type of to player to build around in 19. Not sure about that though.
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Have to agree, a few sims and what was talked here about the new engine it looks like 19 prefers outside shooting a lot.
Still he has a shit load f talent and even if the offense is limited, I like his defense a lot.
But can't wait to see this roster in 19, much better idea where to go after next season imo.