League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Tier 2 prospects - wings

Write updates about your team or the league here.
andrei
Chairman of the Board

Tier 2 prospects - wings

Post by andrei »

The LA Lakers finished the seasons with the worst record in the league and are now awaiting for the lottery to take place sometime in the near future. Along with our pick, we also hold Indiana's 1st rounder which is tied for 5th worst record in the league. Obviously, the Lakers are hoping that both pick will end up in top 4 where we're confident who we are going to select. However, we need to be prepared for a scenario where at least one pick will drop to 5 and beyond. With that in mind the Lakers are looking at Tier 2 prospects i.e. the players ranked just behind the four future Hall of Famers by our draft team. Here, we'd like to review 4 potential players that other GMs talked about as quality talent coming off the board between 5-10 potentially.

Hamidou Diallo - ranked as top SG in the draft behind top man Luka Doncic
Diallo supposedly offers aggressive scoring, handles and capable defense. We put these to the test with a few scouting trips to see the young star. Diallo indeed has strong handles and potential to develop into a capable defender. He is likely to be quite aggressive from day 1 offensively, he won't shoot 20 times, but he'll launch his share of jumpers. Offensively, is where we see a challenge with Diallo though. He loves to shoot above the break threes but his ability to make them is very questionable. We see him as somebody who will shoot a lot from there but not make a high %. Scouts doubt if he ever manages 35% from three on high volume attempts. That's not good, considering his mid-range game is poor and his post game is rare. If you are considering him, looks like you'll be drafting a good (but not great) overall player who will struggle with efficiency throughout his career.

Cam Johnson, Nassir Little and Caleb Martin - ranked as top SFs behind top man Rui Hachimura

We start our trio of Small Forwards with sharpshooting Cam Johnson who is labelled as a 3&D player with great fundamentals. Wow, the young man impressed us from all over downtown. He will be spending a good amount of time above the break and in corners - that's a good thing. Johnson is a solid shooter from downtown as advertised. He is not a Stephen Curry type of sharpshooter, but his teammates can expect him to knock down around 40% of his threes on good volume. Not too bad. But wait, the dude also offers CSL ready defense with both blocks and steals in progress and well capable of developing into and very good shut-down player. At 6-9 - we see potential to develop into CSLs Otto Porter type of critical defender who plays good supporting offense and does nothing to hurt the team with average to good handles, passing and rebounding. Did we mention elite discipline and IQ?

Muscleman Nassir Little has power forward's physique and nose for rebounds with lottery small forward's perimeter game. Not a bad combination. Similar to Johnson, Little will be able to shut down his man with elite level defense supported by steals and blocks. Offensively, he executes his corner shots at elite level but prefers to shoot above the break, which lowers his overall % a bit. His mid-range and inside game is not great, however, although he does show ability to draw contact at high level consistently. Key difference between Little and Johnson? Little is 3 years younger and it shows. He'll be very raw coming in and will need time to develop. The potential is there.

Final player to review today is small forward Caleb Martin who looks to be the second coming of Carmelo Anthony. Martin is the worst three-point shooter of the top small forwards but by far the best mid-range and inside scorer. His mid-range game reminds us of Rip Hamilton and, while he doesn't shoot inside a lot, he is very capable of finishing there at high percentage and draw some fouls. Caleb is also CSL ready, he will play his mid-range game effectively at CSL level from day 1 and, with his exceptional handling and passing, will bring a total package on offense with potential to grow even more. His three-point shooting is going to be a challenge however. He is not awful but he is below average and will shoot a bit too much from there. I suppose comparisons to Carmelo make sense here. Defensively, Martin is going to be very average. He has the talent but shows very little interest and enthusiasm there. Carmelo indeed.
Congrats to season 16 ASL champion SoulKey. For the Swarm!

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Re: Tier 2 prospects - wings

Post by hardenwithnod »

Diallo looks like a fantastic shot creator, but as you have mentioned, his efficiency could be a problem if he doesn't develop properly. I think I like Cam Johnson the most from my scouts thus far, as he looks like a good all arounder with a beautiful shot, and potential to be a lockdown defender. Little looks intriguing too, but it will take a while for him to develop.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Post by andrei »

Agreed, I'd rank Johnson followed by Little ahead of the other two. As of right now anyway

cb4raptorscb4
Commissioner

Post by cb4raptorscb4 »

Diallo and Little look a little raw to me, but some really good potential. Johnson and Martin on the other hand look a little more ready now.
Golden State Warriors
Kris Dunn | PJ Dozier | Ding Yanyuhang | Kevon Looney | Chimezie Metu
Devonte Graham | Nimrod Levi | Tariq Owens | Johnny Hamilton
'23: 34-48 (5-8 as GM)
'24: 40-42, 1st Round Exit
'25: 50-32, Championship Round Loss (4-3)
'26: 48-34, 1st Round Exit
'27: 44-38, Missed Playoffs
'28: 39-43, 1st Round Exit
'29: 57-25, Championship Round Loss (4-2)
'30: 48-34, Conference Finals Loss (4-1)

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

They all look promising in their own way. None look like they'll become elite game-changers, but they should become decent / solid starters in the right system.

I'm more interested to see where the shooting bigs go. I think they're about to become very popular, and I am expecting them to shoot up the draft board ahead of a lot of these wings.

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

I have a favorite out of this bunch that I'm contemplating trading into the lottery for. I could see him going higher than expected though.

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Post by andrei »

GreenBear wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:32 pm They all look promising in their own way. None look like they'll become elite game-changers, but they should become decent / solid starters in the right system.

I'm more interested to see where the shooting bigs go. I think they're about to become very popular, and I am expecting them to shoot up the draft board ahead of a lot of these wings.
Very good point but I kinda expect this draft to go as it usually does and then major changes next year with shooting bigs becoming very popular.

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

emplep7 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:49 pm I have a favorite out of this bunch that I'm contemplating trading into the lottery for. I could see him going higher than expected though.
Who is it??? :-)

I really think there is a lot more talented player as this class gets credit for. Of course the top 4 are elite talent, but after that there are still a few more who can be more than just the average starter imo.
Little is a good example, drafted in the right situation where he can develop slowly, he could be an unique player.

Johnson would be a player I like for the Hawks, since he is more ready to compete now. And as long we are deciding to play around Dante, there is no time to waste.