League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Rollercoaster Ride - 2022-23 Houston Rockets Season In Review

Write updates about your team or the league here.
KW
CSL Champ 2017

Rollercoaster Ride - 2022-23 Houston Rockets Season In Review

Post by KW »

After a successful 50-32 season with a very young roster, the Rockets had plans to simply run it back, progressing through trades for depth and internal growth. That all went out the window following an 8-7 start out of the gates, a number of minor injuries, along with a season-ending injury to backup center Justin Patton, prompting a swift change of plans. A change of plans that shocked the league. That was the emotional, off-the-cuff acquisition of All-Star point guard Kemba Walker.

After a statement 40-point game to open up his Rockets tenure, Kemba quickly became more of a puzzle than an instant upgrade. A mix of poor shot distribution and ball movement and constantly shuffling lineups resulted in an 11-13 record following the trade, and frustration within the organization was at an all-time high. Rumors swirled that management was already considering cutting their losses and trading Walker by the new year as he obviously didn't fit with the team's offensive identity, firing coach Mark Jackson, and taking drastic measures to get back in the playoff picture.

Luckily for the team, those moves did not happen, as a lull in the schedule allowed the struggling backcourt to gel. With Monk and Kemba switching guard positions, and Bender claiming the SF position full time, the Rockets started to make a run and got progressively more dangerous over the following months. From mid December to early March, the Rockets turned into hottest team in the league:

3 wins, 1 loss, 7 wins, 1 loss, 1 win, 1 loss, 8 wins, 1 loss, 7 wins, 1 loss, 2 wins, 1 loss, 3 wins - a 31-6 spurt, equal to the 69-win pace of the 2017 Championship team, sent the Rockets into the third seed in the West at 42-19 and within shouting distance of the top seeds. The Rockets looked unstoppable, as if nothing could stop them.

Well, something did. Over the following week, multiple players suffered minor injuries but played through. They were outplayed by New Orleans, Indiana, and OKC and dropped three games that week, but then the bomb hit. In the Pacers game, Kemba Walker broke his finger, and by halftime, team doctors recommended surgery that would keep him sidelined for roughly two months. This was a devastating blow but Monk and Towns vowed to fight on. They played valiantly, but couldn't get many wins. At this point, Mark Jackson started to rest his stars for the playoffs, with the intention of having Towns and Monk play less than half the remaining games, but enough to get home court advantage.

That backfired too... immediately following their return to the court after an 8-game losing streak, Monk picked up a hamstring injury and was sidelined again. A couple games later came another devastating blow, this time Karl-Anthony Towns suffering a small fracture in his ankle, to sideline him for about 6 weeks. Recently signed Mirza Teletovic was also ruled out for the season with his own injury the same day.

At this point, 1st round home court was out of the question, limping to the finish line the Rockets won just 3 of their final 20 games and knew they were facing an impossible uphill battle in the playoffs. Walker and Towns were both expected to miss the first two rounds of the playoffs at a minimum, and all hopes and dreams were pinned on 20-year-old sophomore Malik Monk.

He did not disappoint in that first round series against Portland. Monk's endless barrage of three-pointers, very clutch games 6 and 7 from the supporting cast, and a stifling zone defense packing the paint squeezed the Rockets through a highly improbable 7-game series, but not without a price. Jeremy Lin was lost near half time in Game 7, with no hope of a playoff return, increasing the season-ending injury tally to five.

With absolutely nothing to lose, the Rockets played their hearts out, but fell to the reigning champion OKC Thunder in six games. Monk ended the playoffs averaging 27 points a game on 67 TS% with an entire offense on his back, drawing praise from even his harshest critic, but raising bigger questions about the future.

What is this team's ceiling? Is it championship or bust every season until Kemba Walker gets too old to start? Do the Rockets have the assets to make another move to push them over the top? We'll have to find out next year.

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Re: Rollercoaster Ride - 2022-23 Houston Rockets Season In Review

Post by Flaming Homer »

Man, this bad luck was just unbelievable. The season really got screwed with Kemba and KAT out.
But if the mid season form you had is any indication, not many changes are needed. The team seems to fit and should be one of the favorites in the West again.

Just pray for better luck!!!

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

It's just unfortunate that your whole team decided to die when it is close to playoff time, as I think this team could have been a serious threat in the west. Got to run it back again.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

Monk singlehandedly beat Portland, you may be on to something with him and KAT long term

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF D Bane
PF S Barnes| C M Williams

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

GMoY in my book, I've never seen a GM job like Kyris did during the tail end of last season and an awe inspiring playoff run without almost their whole team being decimated with injuries (KAT/Monk/Patton). Next season will be an interesting one for this team, if Monk takes another step and KAT develops into a 1st option offensively with defensive capability as well.
Ball is Life.

mgtr81
Chairman of the Board

Post by mgtr81 »

Monk is a generational player. With the right pieces around him, these Rockets can contend for a decade.
ImageImageImageImageImage

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

mgtr81 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:54 pm Monk is a generational player. With the right pieces around him, these Rockets can contend for a decade.
Fingers crossed :D

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

I feel you there Biz. I really do. Those injuries..
BTW Monk was exceptional during postseason but he can't do it all alone.

That's a dangerous team and those moves you made are going to solidify your talent even more. It's a matter of adding real depth and going for it with that Kemba / KAT / Monk trio leading the way.

Very good team, trending upwards. I see Houston being one of the most if no the very most successful regular season team in the West next year, but who knows.
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Post by Jestor »

Marcos_Beck wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:40 am I feel you there Biz. I really do. Those injuries..
BTW Monk was exceptional during postseason but he can't do it all alone.

That's a dangerous team and those moves you made are going to solidify your talent even more. It's a matter of adding real depth and going for it with that Kemba / KAT / Monk trio leading the way.

Very good team, trending upwards. I see Houston being one of the most if no the very most successful regular season team in the West next year, but who knows.
Oh, they'll have the 1 seed. I have their damn pick.

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

Knowing what I know about you, you'll completely overhaul your roster around Monk, KAT, and Walker, and have an all-new team next season. It's a great Big 3 you've got there, looking forward to seeing how it plays out moving forward.

Hopefully poorly, but still looking forward to it.

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

Jestor wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:53 am
Marcos_Beck wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:40 am Very good team, trending upwards. I see Houston being one of the most if no the very most successful regular season team in the West next year, but who knows.
Oh, they'll have the 1 seed. I have their damn pick.
Considering I definitely plan to do some "load management" next year, I can't see us getting the 30th pick. After this year's disaster, I don't see big winning streaks and chasing the 1 seed being worth it anymore. As long as we're comfortably a playoff team, I'm good.
Myles wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:38 pm Knowing what I know about you, you'll completely overhaul your roster around Monk, KAT, and Walker, and have an all-new team next season. It's a great Big 3 you've got there, looking forward to seeing how it plays out moving forward.

Hopefully poorly, but still looking forward to it.
I'd definitely include Bender in that first list, I just don't see myself moving him. I'm pretty happy with my core.

With Aminu+Daniels getting traded and LeBron+Lin being too old and FAs, the bench is the bigger point of emphasis than my starters