League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

New Ratings Explained

Moderators: KW, andrei

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

New Ratings Explained

Post by Rizzo »

With the league moving to DDS19, I will use this post to explain some of the new ratings as well as our findings.

- RA_Rate - This is known as the "restricted area rate" meaning what percentage of a player's shots that are taken inside of the paint will be taken inside the restricted area. The higher the percentage, the more shots a player will be taking at the rim rather than just inside the paint.

Example: A player attempts 10 shots in the paint per game and has an RA_Rate of 40. That means that 40% of this player's 10 shots that come inside the paint will be inside the restricted area. That's 4 shots in the RA per game for this player.

- DUNK_Rate - This is the percentage of shots that are attempted inside the restricted area that result in a dunk attempt rather than a layup.

To go along with the above example, if this same player had a DUNK_Rate of 25, that means that 25% of this player's shot attempts that come inside the restricted area - that was 4 in the example above - would be a dunk attempt. With this example, the player would attempt 10 total shots in the paint: 6 outside of the restricted area and 4 inside (3 layup attempts and 1 dunk attempt).

- Ball Actions: These are the percentages a player would follow for what he will do with the ball in his hands. This isn't a hard-coded percentage, though, as a player's scoring rating as well as offensive system will come in to play as well to determine what the player does with the ball in his hands.

- Floor Locations: These are the percentages of time a player spends in specific positions on the floor. Again, offensive system will influence players to move into different zones than their floor locations would suggest.

Example: Dwight Howard has a 100% paint floor location but plays in a Pace & Space offense. He will more often than not get pushed out of the paint in favor of the offensive system rather than clogging the lane.

- FG_RA: A player's shooting ability in the restricted area.

- FG_ITP: A player's shooting ability in the paint but outside the restricted area.

- FG_MID: A player's shooting ability outside the paint but inside the three-point line.

- FG_COR: A player's shooting ability in the two corner three-point zones.

- FG_ATB: A player's shooting ability above the break beyond the three-point line.

The above post will be updated with the draft team's findings on some of the shooting percentages and whether or not what you're seeing are "good" or "bad" shooting ratings.
Career Accolades:
- GM, Cleveland Cavaliers [2013-2018]
- GM, Brooklyn Nets [2018-2030, 2031-Present]
- 0 CSL Championships
- 0 Eastern Conference Championships
- 0 Coach of the Year Awards
- 0 GM of the Year Awards

Rizzo's Hall of Fame Players:
- oCSL Marcus Smart
- SG P.J. Hairston [2015 CSL Draft, Pick 1.16]
- C DeAndre Ayton [2022 CSL Draft, Pick 1.3]
- PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander [2025 CSL Draft, Pick 1.1]

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Re: New Ratings Explained

Post by Rizzo »

Anything that you don't see above that you need explained, please comment below and we will do our best to answer it.
Career Accolades:
- 0 CSL Championships

- oCSL Marcus Smart

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

Gotcha and thanks for the explanation, loving it thus far.

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF K Middleton |
PF W Kessler | C M Williams

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

I was going through all of my scouts with the new ratings, and I had a question: How does the “RIM” shooting rating compare to “FGD”. At first I thought that they would be pretty comparable, but after looking at my ratings so far compared to years prior, it is clear that they are not. All of the “RIM” shooting ratings are well below what prospects have had in the past for their “FGD” ratings. And that appears to be the case regardless of position. The reason I bring this up is because as I look at the “RIM” ratings of these guys, I have absolutely nothing to compare it to, so I have no idea what is good, bad, or otherwise. Obviously the draft team put some research into learning the new ratings before creating the draft class, so I’m curious how the draft team determined what RIM ratings would be appropriate.

Appreciate the help as always.

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

Bump for the draft heads

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Post by Rizzo »

GreenBear wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:33 pm Bump for the draft heads
Sorry. Brett should have something in the very near future on specific shooting ratings.
Career Accolades:
- 0 CSL Championships

- oCSL Marcus Smart

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

Rizzo wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:32 pm
GreenBear wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:33 pm Bump for the draft heads
Sorry. Brett should have something in the very near future on specific shooting ratings.
Gracias

mgtr81
Chairman of the Board

Post by mgtr81 »

GreenBear wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:58 pm I was going through all of my scouts with the new ratings, and I had a question: How does the “RIM” shooting rating compare to “FGD”. At first I thought that they would be pretty comparable, but after looking at my ratings so far compared to years prior, it is clear that they are not. All of the “RIM” shooting ratings are well below what prospects have had in the past for their “FGD” ratings. And that appears to be the case regardless of position. The reason I bring this up is because as I look at the “RIM” ratings of these guys, I have absolutely nothing to compare it to, so I have no idea what is good, bad, or otherwise. Obviously the draft team put some research into learning the new ratings before creating the draft class, so I’m curious how the draft team determined what RIM ratings would be appropriate.

Appreciate the help as always.
A bit late to the party, but now that I'm putting my scouting info together that's actually a very good question. Unless I'm getting it wrong, all the players I have scouted will be below 40 % in overall conversion. That's pretty bad, so I'm assuming I did not understand something correctly.

For what is worth, in a CPU generated league, which I assume may have "correct" ratings, these are the averages rounded to avoid decimals:

FG_RA: 60
FG_ITP: 36
FG_MID: 36
FG_COR: 26
FG_ATB: 26
FT: 74

Of course these are averages, but in line with what Doug said, I'm concerned with the FG_RA rating. Any explanation?

Thanks in advance.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Yeah in my single player league I run with nearly the ratings of the prospects this year it showed that most of them are ~40% shooters. I actually just think the draft team wanted a class with insane top3 and super inefficient guys afterwards. Just my guess though because they are nearly all brick machines.
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

Dennis wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:17 pm Yeah in my single player league I run with nearly the ratings of the prospects this year it showed that most of them are ~40% shooters. I actually just think the draft team wanted a class with insane top3 and super inefficient guys afterwards. Just my guess though because they are nearly all brick machines.
I think they wanted to bring scoring down so they created a class of really good defenders and terrible offensive players.

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Silogical wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:18 pm
Dennis wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:17 pm Yeah in my single player league I run with nearly the ratings of the prospects this year it showed that most of them are ~40% shooters. I actually just think the draft team wanted a class with insane top3 and super inefficient guys afterwards. Just my guess though because they are nearly all brick machines.
I think they wanted to bring scoring down so they created a class of really good defenders and terrible offensive players.
Maybe I fucked up scouting, but I didn’t see many good defender. Also I don’t think getting scoring down by creating players only able to shoot 38-42%

CSL Champions Image 2028

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

Dennis wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:33 pm
Silogical wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:18 pm
Maybe I fucked up scouting, but I didn’t see many good defender. Also I don’t think getting scoring down by creating players only able to shoot 38-42%
From my scouting overall defense looks strong across the board. I even wrote an article about it. DId you create a league using just the rookies? What was the average score of the games?

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

From what I've been told (which admittedly was brief, they said more explanation would be put out publicly when they had time), it was not intentional to have poor inside shooting or anything like that. They used existing players in DDS19 as examples, and that this SHOULD BE about equivalent to the FGD ratings in DDS3. I'm hoping that is still the case, as making a class ineffective at the rim would just make zero sense for any reason.

I'm sure the draft team will elaborate.

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

After thinking about it a little more, I'm positive the goal isn't to make a draft class inefficient to reduce scoring in the league. If this were a draft class on an engine we were all comfortable with and used to... MAYBE (but not likely) I could see them doing something like this. But to make players inefficient by nerfing a rating like "rim" that most GMs know nothing about or have anything to compare it to would be insane. If that was the intention, I'm positive there would be an article by the draft team to point this out. Because otherwise, it could go completely unnoticed and/or misunderstood by a lot of GMs. That would be pretty shady, and that doesn't sound like our draft team at all.

I know they did their research before making this class, so there's a reason they did what they did. We just have to be patient for the explanation (which I'm sure will come)

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

I hope we'll be able.to give you a better explanation soon, but no the "lower than expected" interior scoring ratings were a result of our initial tests revealing that our initial interior scoring ratings were making players shoot insane %s from the paint, particularly at the rim.

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

GreenBear wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:59 pm After thinking about it a little more, I'm positive the goal isn't to make a draft class inefficient to reduce scoring in the league. If this were a draft class on an engine we were all comfortable with and used to... MAYBE (but not likely) I could see them doing something like this. But to make players inefficient by nerfing a rating like "rim" that most GMs know nothing about or have anything to compare it to would be insane. If that was the intention, I'm positive there would be an article by the draft team to point this out. Because otherwise, it could go completely unnoticed and/or misunderstood by a lot of GMs. That would be pretty shady, and that doesn't sound like our draft team at all.

I know they did their research before making this class, so there's a reason they did what they did. We just have to be patient for the explanation (which I'm sure will come)
I agree with that, i dont think they would nerf rim just to bring down scoring. My thought was they saw scoring was a little higher and identified the culprit and made adjustments accordingly.

Based on Kyrus explanation it looks like they didnt look at scoring and went directly to the %'s and saw RIM to be too high. I cant say my testing agrees with that. I feel transfering FGD to RIM keeps everything the same, but they probably did more testing than me.

I am really interested to see how they populate the new ratings.

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Actually my testing showed the same @silo. FGD and rim are roughly comparable. That’s why I’m so confused what they did different in their tests. I would love an explanation though as the super low rim has to be related to a bug or transformation challenge they noticed. Because if I use those rim ratings for players they are brick machines on Winslow’s level. And an entire class of Winslow shooting would be weird.

But as you said, they most likely tested more than we did! So really looking forward to get a feeling for what I missed haha. Maybe a draft class creator could give a summary why we are so off with our tests. (Maybe a ball action thingy?)

CSL Champions Image 2028

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

Dennis wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:07 am Actually my testing showed the same @silo. FGD and rim are roughly comparable. That’s why I’m so confused what they did different in their tests. I would love an explanation though as the super low rim has to be related to a bug or transformation challenge they noticed. Because if I use those rim ratings for players they are brick machines on Winslow’s level. And an entire class of Winslow shooting would be weird.

But as you said, they most likely tested more than we did! So really looking forward to get a feeling for what I missed haha. Maybe a draft class creator could give a summary why we are so off with our tests. (Maybe a ball action thingy?)
I missed the test league. What were the shooting ratings used there and how do the %'s compare with real life in the 0-3 3-10..... ranges?

It does look like an entire class of winslows/balls/doziers/bradleys, but that might be needed to stop players like Monk/Lauri/Tatum from going bonkers in DDS19. A slow shift from offense to defense.

mgtr81
Chairman of the Board

Post by mgtr81 »

Any news about this? I'm also with Silo and Dennis in that FGD should transfer to RA. That's what I did in the GAH transfer and it worked almost perfectly ... the small deviations came from the ball actions.

Edit: needless to say, I appreciate all the work the draft team and others have put into this, so I hope my questions / comments are not taken as criticism.

mgtr81
Chairman of the Board

Post by mgtr81 »

Sorry, after checking I was wrong ... I transferred FGI as both RA and ITP to make it work. Again, we had higher FGI so that worked pretty well.